|“||I once thought I could protect the world by myself. But I was wrong. Working together, we saved the planet. And I believe if we stay together, as a team, we could be a force that could truly work for the ideals of peace and Justice. (The Flash: What, like a bunch of Super Friends?) More like a Justice League. (The Flash: Do you have any idea how corny that sounds?)||„|
|~ Superman deciding to form a team called the Justice League.|
The DC Universe's premiere Silver Age superhero team, the Justice League is seen as the DCU's greatest gathering of heroes, be they well known icons like Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman or lesser known ones, like Black Lighting or Firestorm.
The JL has had numerous origins over the years. In the original silver age continuity, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman and Martian Manhunter joined together to battle competing alien warriors known as the Appellaxians. It was later revealed that the seven founders where actually brought together to fight white martian forces. Post-Crisis, it was changed so that Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman were no longer founding members and Black Canary was. The Trinity's place as founding members has since been reinstated.
In the new 52 reboot, the original seven (with the exception of Martian Manhunter, who was replaced by Cyborg) were brought together to battle Darksied and the forces of apokolips. The United States government later formed their own Justice League team, which consisted of the Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, Steve Trevor, Katana, Stargirl, Vibe, Hawkman, Green Lantern and Catwoman (unofficially).
- Superman - The Man of Steel and last son of the dead planet Krypton. Known as the world's greatest and most powerful hero.
- Batman - The grim, brooding protector of Gotham City and the World's greatest detective. Despite not possessing any superhuman abilities, is significant due to his intelligence and excellent detective skills.
- Wonder Woman - The Princess & pride and joy of the Amazons of Themyscira. Blessed by the Greek goddesses and an icon for women everywhere.
- The Flash/Barry Allen - The fastest man alive. A police chemist turned into a speedster superhero by a laboratory accident.
- Green Lantern/Hal Jordan - The Green Lantern of Space Sector 2814. A daring pilot known for his fearlessness and arrogance.
- Aquaman - The King of Atlantis and ruler of the seven seas. Commands all that dwells in the ocean.
- Cyborg - A human who became a human robot by his Dad, Dr. Silas Stone after his accident.
- Martian Manhunter - The mysterious Manhunter from Mars. Considered by many to be the heart and soul of the league.
- Simon Baz & Jessica Cruz: 2 new green lanterns who took Hal Jordan’s place in the league so he can still lead the Corps
- Green Arrow: The Emerald Archer. A liberal hero of the people and the modern day Robin Hood.
- Black Canary: The Blonde Bombshell. Known for being the daughter of a member of the JSA and her relationship with Green Arrow.
- Hawkman and Hawkgirl: The Winged Avengers. Reincarnated souls of Egyptian royalty or alien police officers, depending on the continuity.
- The Atom/Ray Palmer: The Mighty Mite. A physicist with shrinking abilities. Good friends with Hawkman.
- Zatanna: The Mistress of Magic. Daughter of the famous Zatara, the world's most powerful sorcerer.
- Elongated Man: The Ductile Detective. Possesses stretching abilities and detective skills that rival that of Batman.
- Red Tornado : The Tornado Champion. An android possessed by an air elemental.
- Firestorm: The Nuclear Man. The fusion of two people who can manipulate nuclear forces.
- Shazam: He can transform himself into a costumed adult with the powers of superhuman strength, speed, flight and other abilities.
- Moon Maiden (retcon member)
- Steel/Hank Heywood III
- Green Lantern/Kyle Rayner
- The Flash/Wally West
- Green Arrow (Connor Hawke)
- Hippolyta (Wonder Woman's mother)
- Big Barda
- Steel/John Henry Irons
- Plastic Man
- Barbera Gordon/Oracle
- Hourman (853rd Century android)
- Hawkgirl/Kendra Saunders
- Green Lantern/John Stewart
- Manitou Raven and Manitou Dawn
- Black Lightning
- Starman/Mikaal Tomas
- The Guardian
- Donna Troy
- The Atom/Rhonda Pineda
- Element Woman
- Doctor Fate/Kent Nelson
- Adam Strange
- Blue Devil
- John Constantine
- Hourman/Matthew Tyler
- Phantom Stranger
- Animal Man
- Swamp Thing
The key members of the Justice League all share a parallel with the Gods of Greek mythology:
|Justice League||Greek God||Role|
|Batman||Hades||The Guardian of the Underworld (Gotham City)|
|Superman||Zeus||The Patriarch, Lord of the sky and upholder of truth and justice|
|Wonder Woman||Hera||The Matriarch|
|Green Lantern||Apollo||The Visionary|
|Aquaman||Poseidon||King of the Sea|
|The Flash||Hermes||The Traveller|
|Martian Manhunter||Coeus||The Intellectual|
|Plastic Man||Dionysus||The Wildcard|