|“||I just work here.||„|
|~ Karen in The Spongebob Movie: Sponge out of Water|
Karen Plankton is the secondary antagonist of SpongeBob SquarePants who is occasionally portrayed as an anti-heroine. Karen's system is built into most of Plankton's inventions. She has two main forms: a big monitor on the wall of the Chum Bucket and a portable wheeled computer. Along with her role as co-owner of the Chum Bucket, she works as the busser, chef, and cashier. She rarely has to fulfill these jobs due to the restaurant's unpopularity.
She is a major antagonist in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, a major character in The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge out of Water and a major antagonist turned into supporting character in The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run.
She is voiced by Jill Talley.
Karen is an A.I. in the form of Mark II Surplus UNIVAC with 256 gigabytes of RAM built by Plankton himself out of a calculator, a mass of wires, and a security system. The two dated while the former was still in school. It was the day of their third date when Mr. Krabs and Plankton became enemies. When he and Karen got married, Plankton had a head full of hair and a bushy mustache. A photograph of them at their wedding can be seen in Komputer Overload.
The further depth of Karen's early life is debatable, since she has two A.I. parents. This was first hinted when Plankton told her "Your parents must have been like, part computer or something.". In Single Cell Anniversary, Karen's AI mother is revealed to be a software program named EMILP. Her father is an outmoded computer named Fredrick, who has so far only been seen in an issue of Nickelodeon Magazine.
She appears in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie as a major antagonist, successfully helping Plankton to conquer Bikini Bottom for a while by brainwashing the citizens who were eating in the Chum Bucket. In the final battle between SpongeBob and Plankton, she presumably redeemed herself as she ignores Plankton, who shouts "Karen, do something!" Instead of helping him, she surfs through the crowd of freed townspeople.
After the events of the movie, Plankton escapes from prison and comes back to the Chum Bucket that now has only Karen as an owner. She kicks him away for failing to rule Bikini Bottom. However, after Plankton got arrested again, in the episode Jailbreak (who is also set after the events of the first movie), Karen forgives Plankton and goes to visit him in prison bringing him a cake. Plankton asks her if she put something in the cake to help him to escape but she says she didn't. Plankton gets released from prison for his good behavior, but he is arrested again right after for trying to steal the Krabby Patty Secret Formula. When Plankton is released again, he and Karen reunite and he comes back to be an owner of the Chum Bucket together with her again.
Karen does not have a heart, as stated in a conversation between her and SpongeBob in "Friend Or Foe." However, this does not prevent Karen from expressing emotions or feeling true love for Plankton. She does not often show it, but Karen cares for Plankton more than anything else; almost everything she does revolves around helping him in some way to do. According to Plankton, Karen likes to take long walks on the beach, and talk about their dreams of conquering all of Bikini Bottom.
- In Frozen Face-Off, she, along with SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, Mr. Krabs, Gary, and Sandy, try and stop Plankton from his evil plans and she also zaps Plankton for his betrayal against her after leaving her to be almost frozen for good.
- In Karen 2.0, she defeats Karen 2.
- In Salsa Imbecilicus, she, along with Sandy, want the Bikini Bottomites to get normal in Bikini Bottom University for learning Bikini Bottomites to get normal again.
- In King Plankton, she looks after SpongeBob's sea chimps while he is at work.
- In Patnocchio, Pearl has a stomachache and wishes it would go away. Karen shows up to give her "Gush and Flush" which makes Pearl feel better again.
- In Karen's Baby, Karen cares for Chip (her and Plankton's new baby).
- In The Ghost of Plankton, she holds a funeral for Plankton (who is thought to have passed away), and she comforts SpongeBob when he is crying.