|~ Katsuki Bakugo's battle cry.|
|“||In the end it doesn't change what I have to do.. I'll become a hero that surpasses even you!||„|
|~ Katsuki Bakugo to All Might.|
|“||Stop talking. I will win. That's... what heroes do.||„|
|~ Katsuki Bakugo to Izuku Midoriya in "Katsuki Bakugo: Origin"|
Katsuki Bakugo is one of the two deuteragonists (alongside All Might) of the My Hero Academia franchise. He is enrolled in U.A. Highschool's Hero Department and is a member of Class 1A.
He is voiced by Nobuhiko Okamoto in the Japanese version of the anime, who also voiced at Ghiaccio in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind and by Clifford Chapin in the English version of the anime, the former voicing Accelerator and Cabba.
At first, Katsuki had shown to be highly arrogant, condescending and jerkish teenager towards almost everyone due to being immensely confident of his own Quirk and abilities. With the one goal of surpassing All Might as the No. 1 Hero, he was also incredibly condescending towards others and bullied Izuku Midoriya for being Quirkless and seeing him as having no chance at being a hero.
During his time in U.A. however after receiving several blows to his pride as well as (to a point) deflating his ego, these behaviors have reduced mostly, now less smug and more serious about his aims as well as taking others into consideration. Even so, Bakugo can be openly disrespectful towards other students at U.A. High, often referring to others as "extras" and looking at them as stepping stones to his own victory. At the same time, he tends to bestow others with insulting nicknames.
Despite this, Katsuki can acknowledge others if they impress him with their strength, as shown during his match with Ochaco Uraraka. He also has a friendship with Eijiro Kirishima due to the latter being able to see through his more brash attitude, as well as Katsuki respecting Eijiro to some degree. Aside from this, he also does eventually come to recognise Izuku Midoriya, with him realising him to be the carrier of All Might's power. He demands that Midoriya makes One For All his own so he can face against him one day.
While Bakugo can be aggressive and show much less than idealistic heroic behaviour, his determination to be a hero is true with him being inspired by how All Might would win. With him still determined to become the No. 1 hero and surpass All Might. His arrogant nature also belies his true power and skill, by all means, Katsuki is nowhere near weak and shows an inborn talent at almost everything. He also performs well academically, having learned how to read fully by the age of four and does show to take studying seriously.
Katsuki was inspired to become All Might by how the hero always managed to achieve victory and defeat villains. As shown in the Sports Festival, he values true victory and believes that it's meaningless if not won properly, as shown during his match with Shoto Todoroki, where he demanded the latter to use his full power. Furthermore, Katsuki is also very honest to the point to where it extends to his brash and blunt demeanour. Because of this, Bakugo also proves to be a good judge of character, as he was able to see through Yo Shindo's friendly façade.
After All Might's retirement, Bakugo begins acting more aloof than usual, while eventually confronting Izuku Midoriya over his Quirk. The two come to fight and Katsuki later reveals that he had been holding immense guilt, considering himself responsible for All Might's retirement. Believing that All Might would still be around if he hadn't let himself get captured by the League of Villains. He eventually resolves this after his fight with Midoriya. Furthermore, Katsuki has recently been wanting to help more with Midoriya's handling of his other Quirks and seems more concerned about his progress and wellbeing, with All Might hinting that this is Katsuki's way of atoning for his past of bullying him.
Powers and Abilities
Katsuki has proven from time on throughout that he is one of the most powerful students in U.A. In combinations with his hard work, talented skills and gifted intelligence, he has shown to be a very capable hero that is able to battle against strong foes and formulate strategic tactics.
- Explosion: Katsuki's Quirk allows him to produce powerful explosions. He does this by sweating a nitroglycerin-like substance from his skin which he can then detonate at will. He initially used these explosions for the offensive purposes, but overtime, he has gotten more creative with his Quirk and has been able to use them for defensive purposes, as well as boosting his speed. He is able to continue hold in and fire his explosions at continuous pace, allowing him to break through structures and barriers such as Ejiro's shield hardening and Shoto's ice. He cannot spam his Quirk recklessly, however, as doing so will cause his arms to ache and his explosions to weaken.
- Superhuman Strength: Katsuki has shown that he is quite physically strong, being able to content with Izuku Midoriya on multiple occasions through strength alone. He's also able to pin down villains such as Kurogiri with one arm alone.
- Superhuman Speed: In combinations with his Quirk, Katsuki can launch himself with his explosions and travel at incredible speeds. His speed is on par with Izuku Midoriya's.
- Keen Intellect: In contrast to his violent and aggressive behavior, Katsuki is very smart. He is capable of analyzing his opponent's strengths and weaknesses, as well as formulating strategies of his own, based on his situation.
- Musical Talent: During the U.A. Cultural Festival, Katsuki reveals he has talent at playing the drums and as such, he played a major role as part of the musical performance.
- One For All: During their battle against Nine, Izuku transferred One For All to Katsuki, which granted him the ability to stockpile power, massively enhancing his strength, speed and durability. One For All also provided Katsuki a tremendous boost of power in regards to his Explosion Quirk, as well able to utilise this power alongside Midoriya to defeat the villain. One For All was eventually transferred back to Izuku Midoriya.
- He is the oldest student in Class 1-A.
- He can play the drums surprisingly well.
- Katsuki is the only student in Class 1-A with an unconfirmed hero name, due to his proposed ones having been turned down by Midnight for being too violent.
- However, it is revealed in the Endeavor Agency Arc that Katsuki has chosen a hero name for himself, but has not revealed it to anyone yet.
- Originally, Katsuki's character was going to be portrayed much differently with him being friendly and open about his opinions which lead to them being unintentionally insulting. Horikoshi found this draft to be boring however and decided to change his character to that of a loud-mouthed and unpleasant one while still being a natural born genius.
- In the vol.2 of the SMASH Comics (which aren't 100% canon), much to his chagrin, several of Bakugou's "embarrassing" inner thoughts are revealed, including:
- "It wounds me when people suggest I'm not the nicest guy".
- "Deku is actually kinda awesome".
- "U.A is way harsher than I thought it'd be".
- His goal of "Winning to Save" directly contrasts from Izuku's goal of "Saving to Win".