This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|“||It was a world I'd never seen!! Cold and heat like I'd never experienced!! Plants!! Animals!! People!! Strength!! Ideas!! Everything was new and different. Every day my old illusions were shattered!! Everything surpassed my imagination!! I was so small!! I only knew a tiny piece of the world!!||„|
|~ Kozuki Oden writing in his diary|
Kozuki Oden is a male character in the anime and manga series One Piece. He was a Samurai of the country Wano, a country that is isolated from the rest of the world. He was the son of Kozuki Sukiyaki, the Shogun of Wano, and eventually became the Daimyo of the Kuri Region himself. He also fell in love with and married Kozuki Toki, and together they had a son, Kozuki Momonosuke, and a daughter, Kozuki Hiyori.
He left Wano for five years and became a pirate, so he could explore the world. He first joined the Whitebeard Pirates, and later joined the Roger Pirates. He was with them when they reached Laugh Tale, and partied with them due to their victory. Not long after that he decided to return to Wano, determined to open their boarders to the rest of the world; Roger offered his crew's assistance, but Oden rejected, as he wanted the one who liberated his people to be someone from the country itself.
Once he returned, however, he discovered that his father had been usurped by Kurozumi Orochi, with the assistance of Kaido and his Beast Pirates. Oden fought against them, but he lost and was forced to dance naked in the town square. After that he rebelled again, and for his crimes was boiled alive in a massive pot. All of this happened more than 20 years before the present day storyline, and his death allowed Orochi and Kaido to cement their rule over Wano.
He was voiced by Hiroya Ishimaru in the Japanese version of the anime; he has yet to be given an English voice actor in the anime.
Kozuki Oden was a tall, extremely muscular man, with exposed, harry legs, black hair, black eyes, and slightly tanned skin. He's always seen wearing a thick orange kimono, and a massive purple nio-dasuki tied around it, protruding out far at his back.
He did not tolerate discrimination, as he beat up and criticized the bullies torturing Kawamatsu, Inuarashi, and Nekomamushi. Furthermore, he saw them as helpless children while being amazed by their uniqueness.
He was selfless, as he took the blame for destroying the Flower Capital when it was really caused by gave up the chance to sail with Whitebeard to save Toki from slavers.
While collecting a giant fish for Oden Soup, he came across Kawamatsu, Inuarashi, and Nekomamushi being tortured by some of his followers. He intervened by beating the bullies and criticize them for the act but nearly left the three tied up. At his castle, he learned Inuarashi and Nekomamushi hailed from the Mink Tribe, which his father told him of before he learned of Kawamatsu being a fishman who was persecuted along with his mother. The three swore loyalty to Oden before money trouble was brought up. After a failed robbery and lecture from Yasuie, Oden saw his retainers deciding to fully train themselves to serve him.
Three years later, Oden visited his father while his followers impressed the citizens of the Flower Capital with a more dignified appearance. Oden and his father had a unique visit, as Sukiyaki was impressed by his son becoming a proper lord.
Sometime later, the Whitebeard Pirates were in Wano and Oden fought Whitebeard to get him to let him join him. However, Whitebeard refused but Oden was persistent and soon hooked a chain to the Moby Dick as they sailed away. Oden was grabbed by Izo but the pair left Wano. For three days, Oden held on because he was promised a chance to join the crew should he maintain his grip. On the final day, Oden nearly gave up the chance to sail with Whitebeard to save Toki from slavers. His body swollen but still on his feet, he scared off the slavers and was tended to by Toki. The next day, he recovered and thanked Toki for her actions before he realizes that he can start his adventures now that he left Wano. He was quite surprised Toki wanted to go there and refused to take her there, since he just left. They were confronted by the slavers and their leader Karma however, Whitebeard appeared and defeated Karma. He allowed Oden to join his crew, because of his rescue of Toki. Oden also discovered Inuarashi and Nekomamushi also stowed away and joined the crew with him.
Three years later, Oden became a pirate, exploring the world with the crew and became the Second Division Commander. During this time, he became closer to and married Toki, who bore their son and daughter. He also gained a bounty but decided to continue his adventure of seeing everything the world had to offer.
On an unnamed island, Oden encountered the Roger Pirates, where he was knocked aside by Roger. He witnessed Roger and Whitebeard fight, being amazed by the sight. He and the rest of his crew got involved but the fight ended in a draw after three days. Subsequently, the respective crews partied and exchanged plunder among each other. Very soon, Roger begged Whitebeard to let Oden sail with him though initially against it, Oden found himself agreeing after Roger told him about the hidden island out there. Oden left Izo with Whitebeard but found Inuarashi and Nekomamushi once more followed him to Roger. The Roger Pirates did not take well to him but soon came to respect him. Oden also learned Roger was dying of a disease but was determined to sail.
Oden and his family then sailed with the Roger Pirates going to Sky Island, Fishman Island, and Water 7. Very soon, Toki became ill and Oden had to take her to Wano with his two retainers. Oden returned home after years but his visit was short, as Toki encouraged to keep sailing. Oden also noted to himself on the changes of his country and nearly stayed to do something but kept his promise to Toki.
Continuing his journey, Oden was with the crew when they reached Laugh Tale, and partied with them due to their victory. Not long after that he decided to return to Wano, determined to open their boarders to the rest of the world; Roger offered his crew's assistance, but Oden rejected this, as he wanted the one who liberated his people to be someone from the country itself.
One day, Roger disbanded the crew and Oden cried as they parted ways. Soon it was his turn, with Oden bidding farewell to his good comrades.
He returned home, where he discovered that his father had been usurped by Kurozumi Orochi, with the assistance of Kaido and his Beast Pirates. Oden fought against them, but he lost and was forced to dance naked in the town square.
After that he rebelled again, he easily repelled the Beast Pirates and left a large scar on Kaido. However, he was caught off-guard when his son was held hostage, allowing Kaido to strike him down. It turned out that Kurozumi Higurashi had used her devil fruit to deceive him. Oden and his retainers were captured and set to be executed for his crimes. Oden was visited by his wife who he entrusted his swords to and told her to use her powers to send their children twenty years to the future.
On his execution day, Oden was boiled alive in a massive pot while keeping his retainers safe on a platform but had made a deal to survive for an hour. Although the people initially yearned for his demise, they stopped after Shinobu told the truth of his actions. The word of his selfless act reached all of the people who regained their love of him and some were killed for trying to stop it. Oden endured the hour but after Orochi went back on his deal, Oden then threw his retainers in the air, telling to unlock the country borders. As his followers escaped, the Beast Pirates pursued them while Oden spoke to Kaido who showed him respect before he executed the latter by shooting him in the head.
Wano Country Arc
- (Oden's Thirst for Adventure) "Leaving this country is my dream!! Take me with you, let me see the world!!"
- I am Oden! And I was born to boil!!!
- Oden's life heavily revolved around his food namesake, a traditional Japanese winter dish. In addition to it being his favorite food, his catchphrase "I am Oden, and I was born to boil" refers to the boiling required to cook Oden, as did his execution by being boiled alive. His deal with Kaido of being boiled for an hour refers to the time it takes to fully cook oden.
- Oden's birthday, February 22nd, is National Oden Day in Japan. Additionally, the chapter where Oden was killed, Chapter 972, was released on February 22nd.
- Oden bears a resemblance to Susanoo-No-Mikoto, the Japanese Shinto god of the sea and storms.
- Both were violently impulsive and committed outrageous acts against their peers out of bravado and recklessness, causing them to be banished from their homes as punishment.
- Both their signature swords are named Ame no Habakiri.
- Both went on paths of redemption to atone for their deeds by committing great acts of heroism in defense of others.
- Both came into violent enmity with a malevolent entity that went by the moniker of Yamata no Orochi, alluding to Oden's personal vendetta against Kurozumi Orochi.
- Oden also bears a resemblance to Heracles, a divine hero in Greek mythology:
- Both possessed tremendous strength since infancy.
- Both had numerous affairs with women.
- Some of Oden's actions are based on the Twelve Labors of Heracles:
- Oden defeating the Mountain God is based on the fourth labor, the capture of the Erymanthian Boar.
- Oden's attempt to help the Flower Capital citizens during a great drought by diverting a river to the city is based on the fifth labor, cleaning the Augean stables in a single day. Unlike Heracles, Oden's action ended in disaster.
- Both were rejected and disowned by one of their family members (Heracles' nemesis was Hera and Oden was disowned by his father, Kozuki Sukiyaki).
- Both were sailors (Heracles was part of the Argonauts and Oden sailed with the Whitebeard Pirates and Roger Pirates).
- Both had fathers who were rulers of their respective domains (Heracles's father was Zeus, King and ruler of Olympus; Oden's father was the head of the Kozuki family and shogun of Wano).
- The execution of Oden is similar to the execution of Ishikawa Goemon, a semi-legendary Japanese outlaw hero who lived in the 16th century. One version of Goemon's execution is when Goemon tried to assassinate Hideyoshi to avenge the death of his wife Otaki and the capture of his son, Gobei. He sneaked into Fushimi Castle and entered Hideyoshi's room but was caught and captured. He was sentenced to death by being boiled alive in an iron cauldron along with his very young son, but was able to save his son by holding him above his head, similar to how Oden saved his retainers.
- Kozuki Oden is similar to Miyamoto Musashi, who was considered "The Greatest Samurai of Japan", in the style of two swords.
Devil Fruit Users