|“||Don't know why I'm getting back up again. It would be a hell of a lot easier just to stay down. I know back in the day, I so would have given up by now. Guess it's all Goku and Gohan's fault I'm like this. Thanks to those two, now I don't know when to quit, and do you know what? Someday, I'll get them for that.||„|
|~ Krillin reflects on how much Goku and Gohan have changed him while fighting Cell.|
Krillin (Kuririn in Japan) is a major character from the Dragon Ball Series. At first he was Goku's rival, but later he became his new friend (best friend). He is Goku's best friend along with Bulma and Yamcha. He eventually marries Android 18 and settles down, having a daughter named Marron. Krillin is the tritagonist of Dragon Ball and one of the main supporting characters of it's sequels Z and Super. In the Funimation dub, he is voiced by Sonny Strait as a teenager and an adult while Laurie Steele voices him as a child. Strait reprises his role as Krillin in Dragon Ball Z Kai and Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F as well as Dragon Ball Super.
He is voiced by Mayumi Tanaka in the Japanese version of the anime, and by Sonny Strait, Terry Klassen, Mike Thiessen, Sharon Mann, Apollo Abraham, Dan Gascon, Laurie Steele, Wanda Nowicki, Julie Maddalena, and Brian Beacock in the English version of the anime.
Krillin has six small dots on his forehead and a monk-like orange gi as a child. As an adult, he is still short, standing at only 5 feet tall.
Earlier on in the series, Krillin had eye whites. However, later on, they seem to have disappeared completely, making the inside of his eyes the same color as his skin. Krillin is not naturally bald; due to his original monastic training, he merely shaves his head and waxes it. During his training with Goku under Master Roshi, Krillin comments that "All who aspire to master the martial arts shave their heads in order to unfetter their ki" and seemed surprised to find out Roshi was naturally bald. After settling down with his new family, his hair grows out, although his original smooth crowned look is the most familiar to fans. The six dots on his forehead are scars from moxibustion burns, similar to the pattern that appear on the forehead of a Shaolin monk.
Krillin is often used as comic relief or cannon fodder by the author, and has been killed the most amount of times in the Dragon Ball series. As the most prominent full-blooded human character in the Dragon Ball series, Krillin also represents a sense of normalcy to Goku and Son Gohan, as well as often being the most identifiable. Often when things in the Dragon World turn bizarre, it is left to Krillin to shake his head in disbelief and crack a joke. Despite his reputation as being a weakling compared to his Saiyan comrades, he is considered to be one of the stronger pure-blooded humans in the Dragon Ball series, being thousands of times stronger than the average person (although this is largely due to the fact that he was afforded much greater opportunities to increase his strength, such as training under the Guardian of the Earth and having his potential unlocked by the Great Elder of Namek, things that no other human, such as Mr. Satan, ever had). Although he is not as strong as Goku or Gohan, his determination in helping his friends is a key asset. Furthermore, Krillin's ingenuity and talent for ki manipulation is far superior than that of most warriors, even those stronger than himself, and he has an ability to sense hidden powers.
At any rate, Krillin is brave and resourceful, and the audience identifies him as a good-natured underdog. Along with Yamcha, Krillin has also arguably adjusted to a relatively normal life better than many of his friends by seeking women in his life. He is among the more "normal" human of his friends, as he can be seen wearing normal clothes on days where he is not fighting, other than his typical martial arts dōgi, as well as engaging in other normal every-day activities such as watching TV, going to the beach, etc. In his role as Goku's best friend, Krillin was among the only humans to remain a main character for the majority of the series, even as Master Roshi, Yamcha, Tien Shinhan, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Chi-Chi, and others faded into the background.
Techniques and special abilities
- Flight – The ability to fly with the use of ki.
- Ki Blast – The most basic form of energy wave.
- Rengeki – A rush attack used in Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans. Krillin can combine it with Yamcha's and Tien Shinhan's rush attacks to form the Earthling Strike. Krillin's High Speed Rush in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai is the Berserk Fist/Valiant Fist, and he also uses the Zanku Fist and the Jackhammer.
- Kamehameha – Krillin learns the move by just watching Goku and Yamcha use it, and he uses this move for the first time in the 22nd World Martial Arts Tournament against Chaozu.
- Tokudai Sokidan – Used by Yamcha in the anime. Krillin can perform this homing technique in the video game Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2.
- Full Power Energy Blast Volley – Used in the Butōden series (named Renzoku Energy Dan) and the first Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi.
- Double Tsuihikidan – A move where Krillin fires two energy waves that target his enemy. Krillin used this technique against Piccolo Jr. in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. It was named Homing Energy Wave in Dragon Ball: Raging Blast.
- Kakusandan – Krillin uses this move after witnessing the death of Yamcha.
- Destructo Disc– An attack invented by Krillin that has very sharp edges that can cut through just about anything.
- Dual Kienzan– A team attack used by Krillin and Android 18 in the video game Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2.
- Chain Kienzan Barrage – A rapid-fire version of the Kienzan used by Krillin against Freeza.
- Chou Kienzan – A more powerful version of the Kienzan used by Krillin in Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit.
- Solar Flare– An attack that can blind anyone who is facing the user unless their eyes are closed.
- After-Image – An attack that leaves multiple false images of the user. The After-Image Strike is one of his Blast 1s in the Budokai Tenkaichi series.
- Shishin no Ken – Used against Nappa along with Piccolo to create three versions of himself that could fight. Krillin uses this technique only in the anime.
- Yaburekabure da – Krillin jumps in the way of an incoming ki blast to save Gohan. Used during the Garlic Jr. Saga.
- Photon Bomber – An energy sphere used by Krillin as a final attack to destroy Dr. Gero's laboratory.
- Sokidan – Krillin can use the attack in Supersonic Warriors 2.
- Spirit Bomb– It is the ultimate technique that North Kaio taught Goku. Krillin is able to use it when Goku gives it to him to try and defeat Vegeta. In the video game Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors, after dying of the heart virus, Goku comes back for a day to teach this technique and the Kaio-ken to Krillin.
- Senkouken – A dashing punch used in the Butōden series.
- Shockwave Kick – A turn around kick used in the Butōden series.
- Gariou Kick – A dashing slide kick used in the Butōden series.
- Diving Kick – A diving double foot stomp. Named in the Butōden series. He also uses it as his diving smash in the Budokai Tenkaichi series.
- Reverse Kamehameha – Krillin uses the Reverse Kamehameha in the Butōden series to perform attacks like headbutts or knee smashes. He also uses the Knee Drop in Super Dragon Ball Z.
- Meteor Irritation – His meteor attack in Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22.
- Flicker – Krillin jumps and rolls past the enemy. Used in Super Dragon Ball Z.
- Scattering Bullet -
- Tri-Form -
- Unlock Potential – Krillin's potential or hidden power is unlocked by the Namekian Great Elder.
|“||I got you good sucker I should win an award for that.||„|
|~ Krillin making Goku think that he was drowning|
|“||So that ability that you have to stay positive and keep smiling no matter what comes your way or how bad things get well that's the real strength I want for myself.||„|
|~ Krillin talking to Goku|
|“||Come on let's go.||„|
|~ Krillin encouraging his friends to help Goku save earth|
|“||Come on guys let's give it another try.||„|
|~ Krillin not giving up hope after their attacks did nothing|