This Hero was proposed and approved by Heroes Wiki's Pure Good Proposals Thread. Any act of removing this hero from the category without a Removal Proposal shall be considered vandalism (or a "villainous" attempt to demonize said character) and the user will have high chances of being
|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Kyojuro Rengoku contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||Life is a series of decisions. You never have unlimited options... or unlimited time to think, but... what you choose in that instant defines who you are... Warriors who strive to save other people's lives are precious. Their pure and single-minded dedication is separate from their natural talent. They don't risk their lives to earn praise. They simply feel that they must. What they choose in that moment, is a cry from the depths of their souls. Isn't that right... my friends?||„|
|~ Kyōjurō Rengoku|
|“||Growing old and dying is what gives beauty to the fleeting span of a human life. It is precisely because we age and die, that our lives are unbearably valuable and noble. Strength is not a word that means much in regards to the flesh.||„|
|~ Kyōjurō rejecting Akaza's offer to become a Demon|
Kyōjurō Rengoku (煉獄 杏寿郎 Rengoku Kyōjurō) is a supporting character in the 2016-2020 fantasy horror manga series Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba and its 2019 anime television series adaption. He is scheduled to appear as the deuteragonist of the 2020 anime movie Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train which will adapt the Demon Train arc of the manga.
Kyōjurō was one of the nine Hashira, a group of the nine greatest Demon Slayers in the Demon Slayer Corps. Specifically, Kyōjurō was the Flame Hashira who made use of the Flame Breathing. While not having his life being directly affected by Demons like many other members in the Corps, Kyōjurō household had produced Demon hunters for generations. Kyōjurō, with his sense of duty instilled by his ailing mother since childhood, saw it as a duty to protect the innocent from Demons and entered the corps to serve humanity. During a mission, Kyōjurō was killed in battle against Akaza, the demon who held the position of Upper Rank Three within the Twelve Kizuki.
He was voiced by Satoshi Hino and Mariya Ise as a child in the Japanese version of the anime, and by Mark Whitten and Ryan Bartley in the English version of the anime.
Kyōjurō was a young man with bright yellow hair with red streaks, black forked eyebrows, and golden eyes. He was fairly tall by Japanese standards and possessed a relatively muscular build.
His outfit consisted of the regular Demon Slayer uniform along with a white-yellow gradient pattern and red flame-like ridges at the end.
|“||I will fulfill my duty! I will not let anyone here die!||„|
|~ Kyōjurō fighting Akaza|
Kyōjurō was greatly enthusiastic in regard to his duties as a Hashira and often cheerfully eccentric. He was incredibly charismatic and generous and was almost always seen with a jovial expression. He boasted extraordinary technique and swordsmanship stemming from strict practice and discipline.
Kyōjurō was an honorable warrior who adhered to his code of morals and principles that was instilled into him by his mother during the childhood, the most significant being that those who were born strong have a duty to protect the weak.
Kyōjurō, along with the rest of the Hashira, was summoned to the Demon Slayer Headquarters for the semi-annual Hashira meeting and to enact a trial. The suspects in question were Tanjirō Kamado and Nezuko Kamado, the former of which was a Demon Slayer who had protected his demon sister (Nezuko) in clear violation of the Corp's code. The Water Hashira Giyū Tomioka was also guilty of the same crime, although his penalty was set to be decided at a later date.
While Shinobu Kochō wanted to understand the reasoning behind Tanjirō's violation of the code, Rengoku, and a majority of the Hashira, simply wanted to execute Tanjirō, and his sister on the spot. He respectfully voiced his disdain when Ubuyashiki decided to sanction Tanjiro's situation, and was shocked when the master revealed that Tanjirō had met Muzan Kibutsuji himself. Kyōjurō watched on as Sanemi Shinazugawa attempted to coax Nezuko into consuming his nutrient-rich blood, and later admired Tanjirō for ambitiously claiming that he would defeat Kibutsuji.
In the evening after the trial, Kyōjurō attended the Hashira Meeting. Ubuyashiki and the Hashiras mostly discussed the potency of new recruits and the plans of Kibutsuji. Kyōjurō expressed pride/hope towards Kamado for his encounter with Lower Five and that he desired to kill more of the Twelve Kizuki.
The night after the meeting, Kyōjurō received word that a demon had devoured over forty people on a train, and that any Slayer that was dispatched met the same fate. Believing that the demon in question could be a member of the Twelve Kizuki, Kyōjurō left Headquarters to deal with the threat.
Powers and Abilities
Flame Breathing (炎の呼吸 Honō no kokyū): This technique allowed Rengoku to increase the amount of oxygen in his blood by controlling his breathing pattern, which increased his strength and agility to equal that of a demon. Kyojuro had learned to do full focus breaths at all times, further increasing his base strength, speed and stamina. By focusing his breathing on specific points, he was capable of stopping bleeding from injuries. There are at least a total of nine styles that can be used with the Breath of Flames, although Rengoku only displayed five of these.
- First Form: Unknowing Fire (壱ノ型 不知火 Ichi no kata: Shiranui) - Kyōjurō charges towards his opponent at high speed and decapitates them in one or multiple slashes that burns the flesh of his enemy. This technique had enough force to launch the entire Infinity Train off the tracks a short distance.
- Second Form: Rising Scorching Sun (弐ノ型 昇り炎天 Ni no kata: Nobori En Ten) - Kyōjurō releases an arching slash attack upwards.
- Third Form: Blazing Universe (参ノ型 気炎万丈 San no kata: Kien Banjō) - Kyōjurō swings his blade downwards in an arc.
- Fourth Form: Blooming Flame Undulation (肆ノ型 盛炎のうねり Shi no kata: Sei En no Uneri) - Kyojuro spin his sword in a circular motion, deflecting his enemies attacks.
- Fifth Form: Flame Tiger (伍ノ型 炎虎 Go no kata: Enko) - A series of sword slashes that took on the form of a tiger. Kyōjurō used this technique to contest Akaza's War Style.
- Ninth Form: Rengoku (玖ノ型 煉獄 Ku no kata: Rengoku) - A devastating dashing slash that Kyōjurō initiates from a high stance, the technique had enough power to carve a deep impression in the ground where he used it. Before using this technique he remarked to himself about "thoroughly hollowing out most of the area".
- His surname Rengoku means "purgatory" in Japanese.
- Kyōjurō was ranked in 7th place as of the first character popularity poll with 1,021 votes.
- Kyōjurō loved to watch sumo and wrestling.
- Kyōjurō's favorite food was sweet potatoes
- Kyōjurō's favorite side dish was salt grilled bream.
- Kyōjurō's birthday was on May 10
- Kyōjurō's zodiac sign was Taurus.
- Kyōjurō was 20 years old at the time of his death.
- Kyōjurō's zodiac sign was Taurus.
- Kyōjurō always wanted a pet, but he has never been able to have one because of his father's hatred toward animals.
- At the time of his death, Kyōjurō weighed 72 Kg and was 177 centimeters (5'9½") tall.