|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Kyojuro Rengoku contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||If you bare your fangs at innocent people... I, Rengoku, with my Bright Red Flame Blade, shall incinerate you to the bone!||„|
|~ Rengoku facing a Demon|
|“||Growing old and dying is what gives beauty to the fleeting span of a human life. It is precisely because we age and die, that our lives are unbearably valuable and noble. Strength is not a word that means much in regards to the flesh.||„|
|~ Rengoku rejecting Akaza's offer to become a Demon|
Kyojuro Rengoku was a supporting character in the 2016-2020 fantasy horror manga series Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba and its 2019 anime television series adaption. He is scheduled to appear as the deuteragonist of the 2020 anime movie Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train which will adapt the Demon Train arc of the manga.
He was one of the nine Hashira, a group of the nine greatest Demon Slayers in the Demon Slayer Corps. Specifically, Kyojuro was the Flame Hashira who made use of the Breath of Flame sword style. While not having his life being directly affected by Demons like many other members in the Corps, Rengoku household had produced Demon hunters for generations. Kyojuro, with his sense of duty instilled by his ailing mother since childhood, saw it as a duty to protect the innocent from Demons and entered the corps to serve humanity. During a mission Rengoku was killed in battle against Akaza, the demon who held the position of Upper Three within the Twelve Kizuki.
He is voiced by Satoshi Hino in the Japanese version of the anime, and by Mark Whitten in the English version of the anime.
Kyojuro was a young man with bright yellow hair with red streaks, black forked eyebrows, and golden eyes. He was fairly tall by Japanese standards and possessed a relatively muscular build.
His outfit consisted of the regular Demon Slayer uniform along with a white-yellow gradient pattern and red flame-like ridges at the end.
|“||I will fulfill my duty! I will not let anyone here die!||„|
|~ Rengoku fighting Akaza|
Kyojuro was an honorable warrior who adhered to his code of morals and principles that was instilled into him by his mother during the childhood, the most significant being that those who were born strong have a duty to protect the weak.
Kyojuro, along with the rest of the Hashira, was summoned to the Demon Slayer Headquarters for the semi-annual Hashira meeting and to enact a trial. The suspects in question were Tanjiro Kamado and Nezuko Kamado, the former of which was a Demon Slayer who had protected his demon sister (Nezuko) in clear violation of the Corp's code. The Water Hashira Giyu Tomioka was also guilty of the same crime, although his penalty was set to be decided at a later date.
While Shinobu Kocho wanted to understand the reasoning behind Tanjiro's violation of the code, Rengoku, and a majority of the Hashira, simply wanted to execute Tanjiro and his sister on the spot. He respectfully voiced his disdain when Ubuyashiki decided to sanction Tanjiro's situation, and was shocked when the master revealed that Tanjiro had met Muzan Kibutsuji himself. Rengoku watched on as Sanemi Shinazugawa attempted to coax Nezuko into consuming his nutrient-rich blood, and later admired Tanjiro for ambitiously claiming that he would defeat Kibutsuji.
In the evening after the trial, Rengoku attended the Hashira Meeting. Ubuyashiki and the Hashiras mostly discussed the potency of new recruits and the plans of Kibutsuji. Rengoku expressed jealousy towards Kamado for his encounter with Lower Five and that he desired to kill more of the Twelve Kizuki.
The night after the meeting, Rengoku received word that a demon had devoured over forty people on a train, and that any Slayer that was dispatched met the same fate. Believing that the demon in question could be a member of the Twelve Kizuki, Kyojuro left Headquarters to deal with the threat.
Breath of Flames Style (炎ほのおの呼こ吸きゅう Honō no kokyū): This technique allowed Rengoku to increase the amount of oxygen in his blood by controlling his breathing pattern, which increased his strength and agility to equal that of a demon. Kyojuro had learned to do full focus breaths at all times, further increasing his base strength, speed and stamina. By focusing his breathing on specific points, he was capable of stopping bleeding from injuries. There are at least a total of nine styles that can be used with the Breath of Flames, although Rengoku only displayed five of these.
- First Style: Sea of Fire (壱いちノ型かた 不知火しらぬい Ichi no kata: Shiranui): Kyojuro would charge towards his opponent at high speed and decapitate them in one or multiple slashes. This technique had enough force to launch train carriages off their tracks.
- Second Style: Ascending Blazing Sky (弐にノ型かた 昇のぼり炎えん天てん Ni no kata: Nobori en ten): An ascending slash. Kyojuro used this technique to slice Akaza's arm in half.
- Fourth Style: Wave of Blazing Flames (肆しノ型かた 盛せい炎えんのうねり Shi no kata: Sei en no uneri): Kyojuro span his sword in a circular motion, deflecting his enemies attacks.
- Fifth Style: Flame Tiger (伍ごノ型かた 炎えん虎こ Go no kata: Enko): A series of sword slashes that took on the form of a tiger. Kyojuro used this technique to contest Akaza's War Style.
- Ninth Style: Purgatory (玖くノ型かた 煉れん獄ごく Ku no kata: Rengoku) - A devastating dashing slash that Kyojuro initiated from a high stance, the technique had enough power to carve a deep impression in the ground where he used it. Before using this technique he remarked to himself about "thoroughly hollowing out most of the area".
List of Appearances
|Appearances throughout the Series|
- His surnname Rengoku means "purgatory" in Japanese.
- Kyojuro was ranked in 7th place as of the first character popularity poll with 1,021 votes.
- Kyojuro loved to watch sumo and wrestling.
- Kyojuro's favorite food was sweet potatoes
- Kyojuro's favorite side dish was salt grilled bream.
- Kyojuro's birthday was on May 10
- Kyojuro's zodiac sign was Taurus.
- Kyojuro was 20 years old at the time of his death.
- Kyojuro's zodiac sign was Taurus.
- Kyojuro always wanted a pet, but he has never been able to have one because of his father's hatred toward animals.
- At the time of his death Kyojuro weighed 72 Kg and was 177 centimeters (5'9½") tall.