|“||I have made a terrible mistake. I was hurt. I was so hurt. And... I thought I could get rid of the hurt. I thought that I knew better, that I could make the world a better place. But I was wrong. That hurt, um, took me down a dark, dark path, where I was blind to what I was really doing, to what I'd become.||„|
|~ Lena to Supergirl.|
Lena Luthor is one of the tritagonists in CW's 2015 series Supergirl. Lena was supporting character in Supergirl until becoming a villain when she found out her best friend, Kara Danvers lied to her about being Supergirl. However, Lena redeemed herself at the end of the fifth season and made amends with Kara.
Lena is the paternal estranged half-sister of Lex Luthor, daughter of Lionel Luthor, and the estranged adoptive daughter of Lillian Luthor. She is also the ex-girlfriend of the late Jack Spheer and James Olsen, and the best friend of Kara Danvers.
Lena is portrayed by Katie McGrath, Camille Marty and Samantha Davis and Lucy Loken young. McGrath also famously played Morgana Pendragon in the BBC series, Merlin.
Lena Kieran Luthor was born in Metropolis, 1993 to Lionel Luthor and an unnamed woman, whom he was having an affair with. When Lena was four years old, she witnessed her mother's death by drowning, and froze in terror. After her death, Lena was wracked with guilt over freezing up in the situation, and believed had she intervened or helped her, she would be alive. Following this, she was adopted by the Luthor family without knowing of her parentage, and was welcomed by Lionel and her half-brother, Lex Luthor. Lena became close to her half-brother, and showed her intellect and tactical thinking when she would often beat him in chess as a toddler. Despite being warmly welcomed by them, she had a difficult upbringing with her adoptive mother, Lillian, due to her knowing she was created by an affair.
In the fifth grade, Lena's boyfriend was lured away from her by Cindy Ryan, whom she later humiliated by exposing her diary to the entire school. Lena would grow up regretting her actions, but Lillian was proud of it, seeing that her adoptive daughter had Luthor traits. She later attended Mount Helena Boarding School, and she met and befriended Andrea Rojas in 2004. During this time, she became acquainted with Veronica Sinclair, and also had a boyfriend named Tylor for time (however, he was paid by Lillian to end it). In her youth, Lena spent her time trying to impress Lex with various inventions, and was brought under the wing of Lex's friend, Mercy Graves. Recognizing her brilliance, Mercy encourage Lena in her scientific feats, and taught her fashion, etiquette, and even how to shoot a gun.
Mercy's guidance proved successful, as Lena attended and graduated from M.I.T. at a young age. In 2012, Lena befriended Jack Spheer and the two began a start-up in a garage, and tried to find a cure for cancer and other diseases using nanotechnology. After three years with helping Jack, she fell in love with him and started a romantic relationship. Lena also served as an advocate for LuthorCorp during the time when the business acquired the rights to a company that Samantha Arias worked for, and Lena helped her rise in the company due to being impressed by Samantha's diligence and impeccable concentration.
During her childhood, Lex grew cold, delusional and power hungry, and Lena became concerned over him when Lex started targeting Superman. During this time, Lena was trying to perceive the business and tried to keep herself together due to the Luthor family's controversy. When Mercy left Lex due to his obsession with Superman, she cut personal ties to the Luthor family, leaving Lena feeling hurt. However, Lena came to somewhat agree with Mercy's desire for humans to achieve superhuman capabilities to prevent future wars. After Lex was sentenced to prison in 2016, Lena became the CEO of LuthorCorp and ceased contact with Lillian. She also moved to National City to helm the company, became set in atoning for her brother's crimes, and her relationship with Jack ended.
Powers and Abilities
- Genius-level intellect/Great business acumen/Master tactician/Leader: Lena is highly intelligent, a recognized hallmark quality of the Luthor family, able to often beat her prodigious older half-brother in chess in her toddler years. Later as an adult, her intelligence - which enabled her to impressively master several disciplines, academic and otherwise, to her own credit - was proven enough to be the CEO of L-Corp, overseeing it's daily activities and seeing to its successful rebirth as a legitimately legal multibillion-dollar corporation, ensuring that it would stay operational up to at least four centuries later on, as well as re-branding it as a force of good, and Rhea, the matriarch of an incredibly advanced alien civilization, would ultimately address Lena as an outstanding example of the human race not long after meeting her that she'd want to have her own son Mon-El father a child through Lena (and not necessarily through coital procreation). She devised a wily trap for Chet Miner's criminal gang with Supergirl close at hand, for the "clean-up", should anything go wrong, clever enough to deceive Lillian Luthor feigning an allegiance to her in order to destroy their plot with the Medusa virus, astutely deduced where all the kidnapped National City-registered extraterrestrials were being held, quickly thought up on the spot an effective strategy wherein she and Supergirl, side-by-side, took on both Beth Breen and the Biomax nanoswarm that Beth controls, later succeeding with a ploy in getting a confession from Morgan Edge to have him finally face legal justice (and using to her advantage her mother's bid to kill Edge into instead intimidating him to admit, no less) and eventually determining the unusual connections existing between her employee, Sam Arias, with the terrifying alien vigilante, Reign, whom Samantha erratically becomes against her will to even going as far as secluding and conducting (somewhat) humane experimentation on a confined Sam with the aim of discerning a way to literally humanize the genetically-modified extraterrestrial and this paved the way for Lena mastering how to artificially reproduce certain substances of extraterrestrial nature. By the time of her late teens, Lena was already well-versed in nanotechnology and nano-robotics, working with Jack Spheer for the pre-cursor of Biomax. During her and Mon-El's escape from their guards aboard the Daxamite flagship, Lena was able to impress the alien prince by bypassing a technologically-advanced alien security system's lock using a simple (but priceless) tiara, given to her for the forced wedding, as a makeshift lock-pick, practically deducing with a glance how the mechanism works. And not long after purchasing CatCo, Lena would assign Samantha Arias as her acting CEO at L-Corp with the latter certainly proving herself capable of taking on the company challenges and satisfying Lena's expectations of her whilst working there at her stead, showing considerable aptitude in organizing, and handpicking from her present employees those most suited for the tasks delegated to them, on the part of Lena with Lena herself proving easily adaptable towards her new obligations at her overseeing of CatCo. Lena has demonstrated commendable skill in statecraft and business negotiations, and managing of L-Corp's corporate-level business interests - having taken over and left in charge of the company, founded by her family, after the irredeemable acts conducted by her brother earned Lex his life sentence. She has proven herself quite adaptable in overseeing her company's disparate business procedures and intricate protocols in expenditures, revenues, inventory, human resources, utilities and so on. Her knack for choosing the right people, including herself, for the right job, and even motivating them to be at their best, was highlighted on her dealings and interactions with Sam Arias, whom she knew - from the instant the Lena first encountered her working by herself on the office of a company that LutherCorp was in the process of assimilating - would be a keen asset for her family's company. And Sam would later go on to prove that the Luthor's given trust in and extended friendship to her was well-invested, ascending L-Corp's overall profitability to new heights and was even instrumental in helping clear Lena's name during the lead-poisoned children incident.
- Master biologist: Upon witnessing Sam momentarily manifest the Reign personality in front of her, Lena made the connect between Sam's blackouts and the times that the Worldkiller Reign appeared to commit her vigilante activities, Lena then took Arias into a secluded lab equipped with everything (i.e. containment systems and observation utilities, emergency medicals, etc.) needed to further diagnose Samantha's condition in hopes of finding a cure, or at least a means of suppression, for the side of her that is Reign. There Lena was able to examine Sam’s extraterrestrial nature which was only apparent when the Reign personality was in control. And after obtaining some Harun-El, brought by Mon-el and Kara from Argo, Lena later succeeded in ridding Samantha of Reign from each other, though the Luthor failed to realize that the method used for that merely separated the two existences from each other rather than fully eliminated the worldkiller persona, like she hoped, as secretly orchestrated by Selena and soon after worked out that Sam and Reign are still connected which was why, though the former was exhibiting Kryptonian attributes, Samantha was weakening on account of the latter remotely siphoning power from her former host in order for Reign to empower herself in preparation of terraforming planet Earth at the Juru's command. From as early as in her toddler years, Lena displayed a promising strategic capacity evident by how she could checkmate Lex in a game of chess not long after he taught her the basics of the game. As an adult, she retained this quality and used it effectively - in light of Lena's inheriting and renaming L-Corp - and could even employ it combatively since she was the prime reason for the downfall of Lillian's scheme to turn public opinion against Alien Amnesty, by providing two-bit crooks like Chet miner and his cohorts with sophisticated alien weaponry. Lena steps in after seeing that even Supergirl was helpless in countering these uncommonly-armed gang of criminals, paying a visit to Kara Danvers whom Lena has accurately determined is in contact with the Kryptonian super-heroine and then arranging for Danvers to arrange a meeting between Lena and the said Kryptonian so Lena could talk the latter into attending a charity event that she will be hosting, where she concealed a portable black body field generator intended to disable the criminal gang's highly advanced weaponry - knowing that the one percenters also attending there would make the event too tempting a target for Chet and his accomplices to resist; and with overconfidence lent to them by the Cadmus-given implements at their disposal, not even Supergirl's presence there could deter them from looting the attendees as Lena anticipated, thereby setting the plot motive for Lena's trap in motion with her ultimately using thieves' own sense of hubris against them that led to her instigated ploy coming into fruition. She would later aid Supergirl and the D.E.O. in the repeated foiling of Project Cadmus schemes, along with those of Beth Breen's, Morgan Edge's and even the Kryptonian Juru faction's, and their Worldkillers, after Lena sets and narrows her sights on them. Able to cope with most situations, more so if she had time to prepare, Lena has been known to devise redeeming contingencies and measures for inconsistencies awaiting in the future.
- Master chemist: Lena has a great aptitude in the field of chemistry; for example, she was able to create a synthetic version of Green Kryptonite, that perfectly replicating the effects of that said kryptonite, however, Lena was also able to create an extremely stable synthetic kryptonite, a feat that even Lex Luthor, Maxwell Lord and Lillian Luthor respectively could not achieve; despite of all them being accomplished scientists in their own rights.
- Master of deception/Manipulator: Despite ultimately having a moral compass, Lena can be very deceptive to the point where individuals - for better or worse - would prevalently assume that she knows or intends less than what the well-rounded and accomplished Lena actually does, once effectively convincing Lillian that she was on her side; regarding her crusade to wipe out all alien life on the planet earth, only to reveal that she was setting up Lillian to get her arrested by the authorities and later succeeded in convincing Sam of her extraterrestrial side's existence after Lena repeatedly provoked a violent response from her, triggering Reign and allowing her to get the evidence she needs. She even pretended to be oblivious to the existence of the D.E.O.; until the time they brought her in concerning the Worldkiller issue with Samantha.
- Master investigator: Easily one of the more perceptive and astute characters as seen in the series thus far, Lena has proven time and again able to pick up and thoroughly comprehend within mere seconds of observation what most others cannot - and with enough depth in that regard combined with her attained deductive and problem-solving prowess to hopefully come up with potent solutions in the midst of and response to obstructions and difficulties. Lena's scope in this covers a wide range, going from merely deducing the inner workings of a then-foreign technological mechanism, such as security devices and even whole vehicles, to substantially figuring out argumentative trends and incriminating topics of discussion to determine both links and weak-points of validity that can be found therein and thereby turn an entire debate in her favor. More often than not, she is capable of noticing details presented to her that, while seemingly minute or immaterial to people's general first glance, have turned out as anything but irrelevant in the end with Lena subsequently being the first to take note of after identifying hints and cues, no matter how blatant or miniscule, to discern any viable connections or emerging patterns, if there are any within a given structure of any nature. Indeed, this attribute has, on at least two occasions, proved instrumental in foiling her mother's schemes and oversight over her directed operations as the leader of Cadmus, when Lillian attempted to forcibly deport from Earth the legally-registered aliens that her faction successfully kidnapped, then tried to do "a favor" for Lena by targeting Morgan Edge and even ultimately led to Lena as the first person, outside of the Juru, in discovering Samantha Arias’ secret alien nature as well as the latter's connection to the Kryptonian worldkiller, Reign, because of it after reviewing Sam's series of memory loss-related disappearances in comparison with Reign's vigilante activities. However, her observational skills seem to have their limits, particularly with people she holds most dear, since Lena wasn't able to tell that "Kara" was actually a shape-shifted J'onn at one time and had yet to unearth the connections between the actual Kara and Supergirl. However, as confirmed by Lex Luthor; Lena has always suspected that Kara/Supergirl are one-and-the same, but has been in complete denial; it wasn't until Lex showed her a video recording of Kara using her Kryptonian powers did Lena fully realize the truth.
- Master scientist/Engineer: Lena was able to construct a portable black body field generator that effectively disabled the Cadmus-supplied alien weaponry that Miner's gang used; though she needed finalizing assistance from Winn to render the device functional, since Lena was not certain if the pulse to be generated by the device would be properly sufficient to counter the extraterrestrial armaments without seeing the weapons in person herself, hence the trap she sprang to lure Chet Miner's gang to her charity gala, indicating that her technological aptitude is far from absolute. Despite this, she was praised by Winn for her ingenuity; the D.E.O. had thought up of a similar approach, as Alex stated earlier to Maggie, but was enacted ahead by Lena proving that her technical expertise was not limited to mere state-of-the-art human technology, and yet even Lena herself admits that, in the progressive wake of her taking over her brother's company and renaming it into L-Corp, Lex still outshines her in some aspects of brilliance. She would later head the successful large-scale construction of a Transmatter portal on Earth (though she was unaware that it was also drastically affecting Phorians on Earth, briefly causing the typically benign psychic species to react violently and lash out with their telekinetic powers) with a few helpful tips from Rhea, that allowed the Daxamites to invade the planet. Perhaps her greatest engineering feat yet was when she re-purposed (once again, with Winn's help) the device originally made by her half-brother to imbue Earth's atmosphere with Kryptonite - strictly against Kryptonians - into dispersing lead instead, complete with a remote controller that she entrusted to Supergirl, which drove away the Daxamite invaders. Much later, upon learning of Reign's existence within Sam and in the bid to expunge the former from the latter's self, Lena would devise effective contingency measures in keeping the powerful Worldkiller contained using resources from her company by constructing a specially-designed and technologically-loaded enclosure that has proven resilient enough to even barricade against the likes of Reign or Supergirl, for a definite amount of time. And in the wake of her clandestine research into Sam's alien nature, Lena progressed in the artificial production of synthetic Kryptonite - which was something that not even Maxwell Lord or Cadmus were able to accomplish in their own respective attempts, since the synthetically produced substance, by Lena's own design, was undeniably flawless by comparison and proved itself indispensable in helping keep Samantha's Worldkiller persona neutralized, whenever Reign (from prior to acquiring and fully manifesting Pestilence's power essence) threatens to emerge, through forced administration and incapacitation. Arguably, this recently acquired knowledge may well make Lena as the literally greatest human threat to all Kryptonians in general, and after learning of the role that Harun-El serves in maintaining Argo City's fragile existence, Supergirl went out of her way in making a humble request to Lena if the latter can also artificially duplicate the said Kryptonian mineral the way she did with green kryptonite, having come to believe that it was well within the Luthor's scientific expertise to do so and that Argo's thriving denizens would be most benefitted should the Luthor succeeds in that. Taking on the requested task, Lena would later succeed in the endeavor, personally handing to Alura a sealed case containing a synthetic sample of Harun-El, along with the formula derived from the original substance, to bring back to Argo.
- Expert pilot: Despite considering herself as not strictly a fan of aerial transportation, and typically preferring to have someone hired to pilot for her when traveling in this manner, Lena seems familiar with the ins and outs of such a mode in transport. Not just in the actual piloting, but also in other utilities that can be found featured by such a craft, such as a moving airborne communication. Later, she instinctively demonstrates the ability to effectively and seamlessly pilot a highly advanced 31st alien vessel from the future, for the very first time, after taking over the ship's controls - impressing Brainy with her level of intuition and conceiving grasp to pilot even non-human and expansive interstellar vehicles, like the Legion's, with little to no assisting aid.
- Computer specialist/Expert computer hacker: Lena was able to override the Biomax nanobot swarm, after accessing Spheerical Industries mainframe from Jack's lab, in time to save Kara from being consumed by the said swarm. This hints great aptitude in the field of computer programming, possibly on par with Winn Schott and Felicity Smoak's, having spent years with Jack trying to perfect the nanobots' operational programs to guide their functions and coming pretty close to solving it together had the two of them not broke up and parted ways.
- Skilled hand-to-hand combatant: Though mostly "unpolished", Lena has some aptitude in hand-to-hand combat, when she traded blows with Beth Breen, a self-proclaimed black belt, and was resilient enough to take one of Beth's kicks to the gut before retaliating herself and knocking Beth down twice. However, she was no match against combatants such as Alex and Mercy Graves' level; both of whom fought each other briefly to a stalemate at Camp David but, against Lena, the latter clearly having the upper hand with Lena barely able to defend herself when she and Mercy confronted each other at L-Corp - both equipped with opposing modified gauntlets of Lillian's dismantled Lexosuit - and with the narrow skirmish only ending due to Supergirl's timely intervention. It was later implied that Mercy may have had a hand moderately training Lena in melee combat, which explains her monumental advantage over the Luthor in that regard. Later on Lena's combat skills (seemingly) have improved as she easily disarmed and knocked Eve unconscious before the latter could fire at her; however, it should be noted that she simply caught Eve off-guard.
- Skilled markswoman: Lena is quite proficient in the use of firearms, human-made or otherwise. She used Alen's gun to shoot John Corben and later a Daxamite with the latter's own weapon.
- Skilled knife welder: Lena was able to fend off Eve for some time using a baton that had a sharp edge.
- Expert medic: Though she was never explicitly stated to have an M.D. or doctorate, Lena demonstrated satisfactory resourcefulness and sufficient knowledge in the medical field when she inducted Samantha into clandestine monitoring and exclusive research in Lena's quest to determine her suspicions of Samantha's true nature and also to hopefully cure her employee from thereof.
- At the start of Season 2 of Supergirl, Lena is 23 years old, making her physically 3 years younger than Kara Danvers.
- Lena owns a National City University sweatshirt, indicating she may have attended the school at some point.
- Lena mentioned she hates flying, despite having a pilot's license.
- Lena takes her coffee black.
- She hates salmon.
- She is fond of scotch, but dislikes tequila.
- Lena loves Big Belly Burger.
- Lena dislikes fliers and leaflets, proclaiming them to be "a waste of trees and of our time".
- Her favorite movie is Titanic.
- It's heavily implied Lena's middle name, Kieran, was her surname before being adopted by the Luthors.
- Lena is implied to be of Irish descent like her actress, Katie McGrath.
- Lena, Alex Danvers, Maxwell Lord, Lillian Luthor and Eve Teschmacher are the only humans able to successfully synthesize Kryptonite.
- However, Alex can only create Blue Kryptonite, Max can only create Red Kryptonite, Lillian can only create Green Kryptonite, Lena can create Green Kryptonite and Harun-El, and Eve can only create Harun-El.