|“||Not... a monster. I'm Curtisss Connorsss. And I will never let the monstersss win again.||„|
|~ The Lizard.|
|“||NO! I mustn't tell him! No one can ever know. The cure worked. My brain--my mind's been restored. And I know why I'm here... For the choices I've made. For Martha. For Billy. My name is Curt Connors. And this is my prison. My penance. My hell. And I deserve it.||„|
|~ Curt Connors.|
Doctor Curtis "Curt" Connors (of Earth-616) is a fictional character in Marvel comics, appearing as an supervillain turned anti-hero in the Spider-Man comics. He is a long time friend and ally of Spider-Man, while his alter ego the Lizard is a long time enemy of Spider-Man, so he wanted to get revenge.
He was a brilliant herpetologist who lost his arm during his military service, and attempted to regrow it by creating a serum formed from repitle DNA. Though succesfsul in regrowing his arm, Connors mutated into a lizard, becoming an enemy of Spider-Man and the X-Men, but has managed to redeem himself in the process.
He was created by the late Stan Lee, and the late Steve Ditko, and first appeared in Amazing Spider-Man #6 in August of 1963.
Curtis "Curt" Connors was born and raised in Coral Gables, Florida, and was presumably raised with his family alongside his sister. Curt went to medical school, graduating with twin doctors in biology and biochemistry, and later became a gifted surgeon. Later in his life, Curt met and married Martha, and together they had a son named Billy.
Curt enlisted himself into the United States Army, becoming a surgeon who would performed emergency surgery on wounded soldiers. However, Curt's right arm was heavily damaged by a wartime blast, and was amputated. Curt returned to civilian life, and decided to spend his life on creating a serum that could regenerate lost limbs.
Curt decided to test himself on the serum, and was overjoyed that his arm grew back, but the reptilian DNA in the serum caused him to mutate. Connors became The Lizard, and was eventually "cured" by Spider-Man, but he transformed back into the creature after trying another test. Thankfully, he was saved from this by his colleague, Charles Xavier, and his team of X-Men.
Curt Connors was born in Coral Gables, Florida to unnamed parents, and was raised there alongside his unnamed sibling. Wanting to become a doctor, Connors went off to medical school and managed to graduate with two doctorates in biology and biochemistry. During his studies at college, Curt met a woman named Martha, whom he later married and had their son named Billy. At some point after this, Connors joined the United States Army and became a gifted surgeon, but his time there was cut short when his right arm was amputated after being hit with a blast.
Becoming the Lizard
Returning to civilian life with his wife and son, Connors wanted to re-gain his right arm and created serums that could regrow it. Due to his mastery in biology and biochemistry, Curt formed a serum from reptile DNA, and decided to become the first test subject of his newly made formula. Though the serum was successful in regenerating his arm, the mixture of reptilian DNA caused his own to mutate, turning him into a giant lizard with fangs, claws, and superhuman abilities. Going on a rampage in New York, the Lizard encountered and battled Spider-Man, but was later cured from his condition by the vigilante. However, Connors decided to use the serum once again, causing him to transform and battle the X-Men.
After being cured once again by Professor X, Dr. Connors became an ally of Spider-Man, helping him cure Batwing and Aunt May, and creating upgraded webs that could burn through the Rhino's hide. When he created the formula that could burn the Rhino's hide, Connors reacted to it and transformed into the Lizard once again. The mutated Connors attempted to frame Spider-Man for a robbery that didn't commit, but failed as the vigilante was able to find the Lizard climbing. Afterward, the Lizard decided to create his own reptilian army, but was stopped by Spider-Man via keeping him in a freezing car.
Powers and Abilities
Lizard-Physiology: While transformed into The Lizard, Connors possesses a variety of superhuman attributes.
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Speed
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Durability
- Superhuman Agility
- Superhuman Reflexes
- Regenerative Healing Factor: The Lizard can heal from any injuries, and is able to regenerate missing limbs such as his tail.
- Fangs & Claws
- Psionics: The Lizard can communicate with reptilian life.
Connors has a genius-level intelligence and is a world renowned herpetologist. Although he has had no formal combat training, his powers alone coupled with his natural savagery in his transformed state make him a formidable combatant.
- Lizard's strength and agility are reduced when exposed to intense cold for more than a few minutes.
- High levels of stress can cause Dr. Connors to transform into the Lizard.
- Curtis Connors is seen in the first Spider-Man film trilogy with his right arm missing but no actual reference to him being or becoming the Lizard. He was portrayed by Dylan Baker.
- In The Amazing Spider-Man, he is portrayed by Rhys Ifans, thus marking the character's first appearance in film. The character returned in the crossover of the 2021 Marvel Cinematic Universe film, Spider-Man: No Way Home.
- In the 1967 Spider-Man animated series, he was voiced by Gillie Fenwick.
- In the 1981 Spider-Man animated series, he was voiced by Corey Burton, who voices Ludwig Von Drake in Mickey Mouse Funhouse, and also voiced Zeus in the God of War series.
- In Spider-Man: The Animated Series, he was voiced by the late Joseph Campanella.
- In Spider-Man: The New Animated Series, he was voiced by Rob Zombie.
- In The Spectacular Spider-Man, he was voiced by Dee Bradley Baker, who also voiced Perry the Platypus in Phineas and Ferb, Appa and Momo in Avatar: The Last Airbender, Clone Troopers and Characters in Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars: Rebels and Star Wars: The Bad Batch, and Reuben in Minecraft: Story Mode.
- Baker prevously voiced the character in the Neversoft Spider-Man video game and Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro, and reprised his voice for the character in Ultimate Spider-Man from season two onwards.
- In Ultimate Spider-Man, he was voiced by Tom Kenny in season one, who voices SpongeBob SquarePants in the titular franchise, and also voiced The Mayor of Townsville in The Powerpuff Girls, and Skids and Mudflap in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.
- In the 2010s Spider-Man animated series, he was voiced by Yuri Lowenthal, who voices Spider-Man in Insomiac's Marvel's Spider-Man series, and also voiced Ben Tennyson in the Ben 10 series, The Prince in the Prince of Persia series, Sir Galleth Cooper in Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, and Joseph Oda in The Evil Within.
- In the Spider-Man 2 tie-in game, he was voiced by the late Joe Alaskey.
- In Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, he was voiced by James Arnold Taylor, who also voiced Obi-Wan Kenobi and Plo Koon in Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels, and Ratchet in the Ratchet & Clank series.
- In the Spider-Man 3 tie-in game, he was voiced by Nathan Carlson.
- In Spider-Man: Friend or Foe, he was voiced by Roger L. Jackson.
- In The Amazing Spider-Man tie-in game, he was voiced by Steve Blum, who also vocied Tank Dempsey in Treyarch's Call of Duty zombies, Urdnot Grunt in the Mass Effect series, and Sub-Zero in Injustice 2.
- Blum reprised his voice for the character in Lego Marvel Super Heroes.
- Dr. Connors appears in Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, but his voice actor is uncredited.
- He was ranked #9 on Marvel Comics list of monster characters in 2015.