Lockheed is a member of the X-Men. He is an alien dragon and longtime companion of Shadowcat, a member of the X-Men and Excalibur. In Marvel Comics He is empathic, able to understand human speech, and although he rarely does so is able to speak English as well.
He was created by Chris Claremont and Paul Smith, and first appeared in The Uncanny X-Men # 166 in February 1983.
Lockheed was a member of a highly advanced dragon-like extra-terrestrial race, who were capable of traveling through space via special astral ships which transported their essences. Their society was similar to insect hives, with the individual being only part of the "Flock". Lockheed had been celebrated by his people as a brave fighter and hero against the Brood.
The X-Men were kidnapped into space by the alien Brood and taken to a brood-colonized planet. On this planet, Kitty Pryde met Lockheed, who resembled the cat-sized purple dragon from a fairy tale she had recently told to young Illyana Rasputin. He saved her from the Brood and then returned to Earth with her. By leaving the Flock so unexpectedly, he left behind his fiancée whom he was due to wed the following day.
Kitty was initially unaware that Lockheed had survived Sleezeworld and returned with them, but he was discovered when he again saved her life, this time from a nest of alien Sidrian hunter hatchlings. The X-Men accepted his presence in the X-Mansion, and Lockheed became Kitty's longtime companion.
The X-Men, including Lockheed, were transported to an alien planet, where Lockheed met a green, female alien dragon. This second dragon accompanied Lockheed and his allies to Earth, but she grew to gigantic size upon arrival, rampaged across Tokyo, and was apparently killed, though the dragon eventually resurfaced.
In addition to serving alongside Kitty with the X-Men, he joined her when she founded the British superhero team Excalibur.
Later, Lockheed's astral form was apprehended by the Flock and was forced to stand trial for treason. After managing to explain his motives and save his fellows from an accident, he was officially exiled from his race, but on amiable terms.
Lockheed went into hiding because he disapproved of Kitty's then-boyfriend, Pete Wisdom. Lockheed tormented Wisdom by stealing his cigarettes. Wisdom tried to convince the other members of Excalibur that Lockheed could talk, but they refused to believe him. Still, Lockheed saved Wisdom's life against his nemesis Scratch on one occasion.
The X-Men were taken by the agency S.W.O.R.D. to the planet Breakworld to oppose their intended destruction of Earth. The X-Men learned that Lockheed had been working as a mole for S.W.O.R.D. over some time. He was recruited by the espionage agency to report on the X-Men's activities in exchange for S.W.O.R.D.'s help in resolving his pressing homeworld issues. Kitty later sacrificed herself to save Earth from a giant bullet.
Lockheed then openly left the X-Men and joined S.W.O.R.D. in space. Still grieving over Kitty, Lockheed drank heavily to help with the pain. Lockheed took on a much tougher attitude, not hesitating to attack others violently. This new attitude gave him an edge in battle, easily overpowering and defeating armed S.W.O.R.D. officers who tried to arrest him. It was eventually revealed by Abigail Brand that Kitty was still alive within the giant bullet, but they couldn't get her out yet. Lockheed approached Unit for help with Kitty, but he later changed his mind. Unwilling to pay Unit's price, which involved freeing him from his prison, Lockheed flew off.
Kitty was eventually freed from the bullet by Magneto and rejoined the X-Men. When the Pandora's Box – a S.W.O.R.D. space station commissioned for scientific research – was invaded by the Brood, Beast asked the X-Men for help. This finally led to a reunion between Lockheed and Kitty. Lockheed's experience as a Brood killer and his high-level clearance as a S.W.O.R.D. agent proved to be crucial in fighting the Brood on Pandora's Box. As the X-Men discovered the crew were infected by the Brood, Lockheed decided to abandon the station since he judged their situation as hopeless. He insisted on Kitty leaving with him, but she refused to give up the victims. Ultimately, Lockheed came back to the station to help the X-Men and rejoined the team.
In the aftermath of the split of the X-Men between Wolverine and Cyclops, Kitty sided with Wolverine, helping him to rebuild the X-Mansion, becoming headmistress of the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning. Lockheed followed Kitty back to Westchester, becoming part of the school staff and acting as a hall monitor.
Lockheed joined Kitty when she left Wolverine's X-Men and joined Cyclops' X-Men following the Battle of the Atom event
He later joined Kitty in space to stop the power of the Black Vortex from being used for nefarious purposes.
Following the disbandment of Cyclops' X-Men and the restoration of the Earth-616 universe, Kitty joined the Guardians of the Galaxy, but Lockheed did not join her. Where he was during this period is unrevealed.
He eventually reappeared during the preparations for Kitty's and Colossus' wedding. It was also revealed that he and Puff had become a couple and had children together.
- In The New Mutants, he appears as a companion to Illyana Rasputin/Magik. Illyana carries a small purple hand puppet version of Lockheed before revealing the real one which apparently exists in the limbo realm that she teleports in between.
- In X-Men: Pryde of the X-Men, he was voiced by Frank Welker, who also voices Scooby-Doo in multiple outlets, Fred Jones, Garfield, Abu the Monkey, Bronx, and many others. introduced as a pest on Asteroid M, the headquarters of the Brotherhood of Mutants, and managed to escape the asteroid with the X-Men.
- In the X-Men: Evolution third-season episode "Dark Horizon Part One", Kitty's apparent favorite stuffed toy is a dragon.
- In The Super Hero Squad Show episode "Mysterious Mayhem at Mutant Academy!". He briefly appears in a chase scene using his fire breath to drive Reptil and the hypnotized X-Men out of the girls' bathroom on Shadowcat's behalf.
- In Marvel Puzzle Quest, he appears as an unlockable "support" character.
- In Marvel: Avengers Alliance, he appears as an assist move for Shadowcat.
- In Uncanny X-Men: The Days of Future Past he is an unlockable upgrade for Shadowcat, When unlocked, he shoots fire blasts at any enemies that try to attack her. As he is upgraded from base level to max, he is able to do more damage each time.
- In Marvel Heroes he appears as a non-playable character
- In the X-Men: The Last Stand, he is Shadowcat's pet dragon, He is mentioned as cooing sadly following Professor Xavier's funeral when Bobby Drake (Iceman) visits Kitty.
- Kitty Pryde named him after the company that built the X-Men Blackbird.
- Lockheed was engaged to be married.
- Lockheed made few appearances following the departure of writer/artist Alan Davis from the Excalibur series; later issues suggested that he had simply gone into hiding and had stayed away because he disapproved of Kitty's then-boyfriend, Pete Wisdom.
- Lockheed has at least 5 lungs.