|SCP-999 believes that this article has stopped in time, and any and all information on it may be outdated.|
Help improve this article by checking and updating its info wherever necessary.
And now time resumes!
|“||I was nothing at home. But becoming a witch is my chance to be someone.||„|
|~ Luz on her motivation to become a witch - her famous quote.|
Luz Noceda is the main protagonist of the Disney Channel animated series, The Owl House.
She is a self-assured teenage human girl, who accidentally stumbles into the magical Demon Realm and begins learning magic by serving as the apprentice of a rebellious witch named Eda Clawthorne and her roommate and later adoptive son, King. She later becomes the best friend of Willow Park and Gus Porter, the girlfriend of Amity Blight, and the arch-nemesis of Emperor Belos.
She's voiced by Sarah Nicole Robles who also voiced Judy in Billy Dilley's Super-Duper Subterranean Summer, and Scarlet from Star Darlings.
Luz is an energetic, eager, fun and weird girl who is ready to discover and find new possibilities. She's also adventurous and will take things into her own hands.
Luz is an outsider at school, as she does weird and creepy stuff a lot. As such, she has been to the principal's office many times and feels more at home in the Boiling Isles.
Going to Summer Camp
Luz was going to summer camp, but she saw an Owl named Owlbert take The Good Witch Azura book, which is a book that Luz loves, along with the trash. As it turns out, Owlbert was taking the book along with the trash to give to Eda, a fugitive witch who sells human items.
Going to the Boiling Isles
Luz accidentally finds herself in the Boiling Isles while chasing Owlbert to the door. When she encounters Eda, she takes her to her home, The Owl House, where she introduces her to King, the self-proclaimed king of demons. She then makes a deal with her where in exchange for Eda helping her get home, she must help them get King's crown back from a prison called the Conformatorium, which is overseen by someone named Warden Wrath.
Finding King's Crown and defeating Warden Wrath
How Luz found King's crown was when she went inside a magical force with stolen expensive objects from others, only to find out it wasn't a real crown at all, but a kid's meal crown. When Luz voices her confusion, Eda admits to her that she knew it wasn't a real crown, nor that it gave him any actual powers, but since it was important to him, it was important to her as well. However, at this point, Warden Wrath comes in, who, surprisingly, proposes to Eda since he admits to finding her alluring as a result of always being the one who gets away from him. Eda, of course, refuses, and the trio try to escape. Eda then tries to allow Luz to escape by giving her the key she needs to get home and her broom, but instead, Luz rallies the other prisoners to fight back against the Warden. They then tackle him, pin him to the ground and tie his hands up, followed by Luz firing a firework rocket into his mouth with Eda's staff. It goes off, which causes the Warden to retreat back into his prison in defeat and humiliation.
Staying in the Boiling Isles
After this experience, Luz decides she doesn't want to go back to Summer Camp, because she feels more at home in The Boiling Isles, and wants to study to become a witch like Eda.
Retrieving the Celestial Staff
One day, Luz meets an old wizard who Eda find suspicious. He gives Luz and map and tells her that she's the "Chosen One" and that she is meant to find the Celestial Staff, a long-lost item. Luz eagerly takes the map and, not paying attention to Eda's warnings, follows the map where she meets many "allies."
After a long walk, Luz finds the staff and declares it. However, it turns out that Eda was right and the wizard was not a wizard at all. but one of Eda's enemies who wanted to use Luz as bait to get back at her.
After a long battle and when Luz realizes she's perfect how she is, she and Eda defeat the creature and have a heartfelt talk as the episode ends.
Powers and abilities
- Magic: Luz is studying the art of witchcraft under the tutelage of Eda the Owl Lady. Since Luz lacks the same magical anatomy that witches have, she can't perform magic with her bare hands; instead, she casts spells by drawing glyphs that are found within the spell circles witches tend to use.
- Light Magic: This is the first spell Luz learned, discovering it on her phone while hiding from Eda in her cursed form. By drawing the glyph, Luz can create small orbs of light or blinding flashes depending on the size of the circle. Like fire magic, the spell is also capable of incinerating objects.
- Ice Magic: Luz found this spell in a snowflake at the Knee while trying to save Eda and the Blight siblings. By drawing the glyph, Luz is able to create an ice pillar capable of catapulting people into the air and blocking attacks. She can also infuse weapons with the ice glyph to repel multiple enemies at once.
- Plant Magic: Before her fight with Grometheus, Luz experimented with plant magic. By drawing the glyph, Luz is able to make plants grow, ranging from flowers to pillars of thorns.
- Fire Magic: Luz discovered this spell during her grudgby match with Boscha and her friends. By drawing the glyph, Luz is able to create a ball of fire and set items aflame. She can use it to melt objects by simply activating the glyph near it without having to attach it to the object itself.
- Glyph Enchantment: By attaching a spell glyph to an object and tapping the glyph or striking with the object, Luz can enchant that object with the spell. She has some control of how long it takes for a spell to trigger giving her time to get out of range of certain spells like flames.
- Bilingualism: Luz is shown to speak English and Spanish.
- Weapon Proficiency: She is shown capable of wielding a toy sword, and was able to defeat Adegast's puppets. Later, she demonstrated some skill with a flail while fighting Grometheus.
- Drawing/Painting: She is capable of drawing with nearly anything, as seen in the Owl Pellets "Eda's Curse Bush" (she uses random thing to draw), "Paint Scare!"(she was painting a background), and "Art class with Luz"(she makes drawings good enough to fool Hooty).
- Dancing: While fighting Grom, Luz successfully performed a perfectly choreographed dance routine with Amity, additionally demonstrating a very strong capacity to improvise as this was not something that she had likely rehearsed before.
- Eda Clawthorne - Close friend, mentor, and mother figure
- King - Best friend, pet, and surrogate brother
- Willow Park - Second best friend
- Gus Porter - Third best friend
- Amity Blight - Mainly one-sided rival on Amity's side-turned-fourth best friend and later girlfriend
- Hooty - Friend
- Owlbert - Friend
- Blight Twins - Friends (occasionally)
- Lilith Clawthorne - Enemy turned friend, honorary aunt
- Hunter - Former enemy
- Vee - Impersonator
- Emperor Belos - Archenemy
- Golden Guard - Former Enemy
- Boscha - Enemy
- Tibbles - Enemy
- Kikimora - Enemy
- Warden Wrath - Enemy
- Her father was never seen or mentioned, suggesting that Luz's parents are divorced or that the man died. In "Reaching Out", it was confirmed that Luz's father passed away when Luz was very young.
- Her name "Luz" means "light" in Spanish and Portuguese.
- Luz is named after Luz Batista, a Dana Terrace's roommate, who also worked on the series.
- Luz may be tomboyish, implied physically by her short hair and some clothing choices.
- In "Hooty's Moving Hassle", Luz shows interest in action figures, which is most common for boys.
- In "Enchanting Grom Fright", Luz calls herself a bad boy.
- It was confirmed that Luz is indeed bisexual, making her the first Disney Channel protagonist who is LGBTQ+.
- It is also confirmed that she has ADHD.
- Luz is seemingly lactose intolerant.
- Luz is ambidextrous.
- Luz is of Latin descent.
- However, Dana Terrace and Luz Batista confirmed in a charity Twitch stream that Luz is an Afro-Latina.
- Luz can flip her eyelids inside out.
- Luz loves to stand in the rain.
- Luz can speak both English and Spanish.
- If the show is set in the year it premiered (2020) and Luz is 14 years old it would place her being born in late 2005 or early 2006.
- Luz's last name is a mix between the words "no ceda", which means "Light that does not cede" in Spanish. It is a word game.
- Originally, the show was supposed to be Luz's adventures in the Boiling Isles after she died.
- Throughout the series Luz is shown to have something of a guilt complex, as she blames herself when she is involved in the misfortunes of others, remembers events differently as they actually happened out of regret, and goes to great lengths to rectify them, even if they weren't her fault.