This Hero was proposed and approved by Heroes Wiki's Pure Good Proposals Thread. Any act of removing this hero from the category without a Removal Proposal shall be considered vandalism (or a "villainous" attempt to demonize said character) and the user will have high chances of being
|“||My obligation isn't to love. It is to my family and my nation, and I've turned my back on both. Sometimes, you have to do what's right, even if your heart aches against it.||„|
|~ Mera to Arthur Curry.|
|“||Please, Father, he has the trident. I know you think this war is necessary, but Arthur is king by our most sacred law. And if you turn your back on that now, then the Atlantis you're fighting for is already dead.||„|
|~ Mera to her father, Nereus.|
Y'Mera Xebella Challa, or Mera for short, is a major character in the DC Extended Universe, appearing as a supporting character in the 2017 film Justice League and its 2021 director's cut Zack Snyder's Justice League, and as the deuteragonist of the 2018 film Aquaman. She will return in the 2022 film Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom.
She is the daughter of King Nereus and a Xebellian princess raised by Atlanna as well as an ally of Aquaman, prince and later king of Atlantis. She convinces Arthur Curry/Aquaman to go against Steppenwolf and he ends up joining the Justice League as a result. Later, she convinces Arthur to claim his heritage as king against Orm to protect both the remaining kingdoms of the Seven Seas and the surface world from the latter's wrath.
Mera is the daughter of Nereus and an unnamed mother, who too busy fighting in the wars of Xebel to take care of their child. She as taken in by Queen Atlanna, and was trained to be the Queen's protégé. As time went on, Mera became a military figure, and lead the Atlantean Guard in Atlantis with respect.
Justice League (2017)
|“||Your mother left you to save your life! You cannot imagine how it hurt her, what it cost her. But you're not a defenseless child now. It would have been her responsibility to follow that monster to the surface and stop it. Now, it's yours.||„|
|~ Mera to Aquaman to stop Steppenwolf.|
Mera and the Atlantean Guard responded to attacks from Parademons, led by New God Steppenwolf, who was coming for the Mother Box. Mera fought valiantly against the New God, but knocked unconscious after he charged at her into a wall, and threw her away.
Arthur Curry, son of Queen Atlanna, entered to stop Steppenwolf, but to avail. Mera created a bubble to speak with Curry, and criticized him for coming into their territory. When about to leave, Mera told him that she knew his mother, but he responded that she left him at his father's doorstep. Mera rebutted that she spared his life, and that he is now a "defenseless child", and its his responsibility to stop the New Gods since his mother cannot.
Her convincing Curry allowed him to join the Justice League, and aid them in resurrecting the Kryptonian, Superman, and bring him back to his normal state. After doing so, Superman aided the Justice League, and Aquaman fought against many Parademons, and the team were able to defeat the New God.
|“||Your half-brother, King Orm, is about to declare war upon the surface world. The only way to stop his war is for you to take your rightful place as King.||„|
|~ Mera on Orm.|
A year after the defeat of the New God Steppenwolf, Mera left Atlantis in search for Arthur, needing his help to stop his half-brother, Orm. Despite finding, and telling him of what was going on, he refused and went back with his father. She would return to save Arthur from a tidal wave, and was able to convince him to come with her.
The two went down to meet Nuidis Vulko, Arthur's mentor, who told of Atlan's trident, which wasp powerful enough to allow him to claim his throne. The group were ambushed by Orm's men, and Arthur decided to fight them off, as Mera and Vulko escaped. Arthur was captured and brought to Orm, and the two had a duel that Mera watched from the crowd, and saved Aquaman after the Quindent was destroyed. The two went off to the Sahara desert to find the first clue on how to get Atlan's trident, and were sent to Sicily, Italy for the next clue.
Black Manta, a previous enemy that Arthur made at the beginning of the film, attacks alongside the Men-of-War and Murk. Mera dealt with Murk, and the Men-of-War while Aquaman defeated Black Manta in a fight. Afterward, they traveled to the Kingdom of the Trench, and reached a one-way portal to find Atlanna alive. Mera and Atlanna witnessed Arthur return with Atlan's trident, but he first had to stop Karathen. Mera would fight off the Men-of-War, and witnessed Arthur defeat Orm, and he was declared the King of Atlantis.
Mera showed herself to be compassionate, loyal, and fierce individual, and always follows the rule of doing what's right (despite how much it "aches" not to do so). In addition, she shows herself to be a supporter of responsibility, telling Arthur Curry that it was his duty to stop the New God, since his mother wasn't there. This is also shown in Aquaman, as she tries to convince him to take his righthood of King, wanting to stop his half-brother, Orm.
- Atlantean Physiology: Mera's Atlantean heritage has granted her various superhuman feats; such as superhuman strength, durability, speed, agility, reflexes, senses, leaping, etc., making him an extremely powerful superhuman; especially when Mera is exposed to water.
- Superhuman Strength: Mera showed herself to have above average human strength, being able to fight against the Men-of-War, and defeat Murk.
- Superhuman Speed: While underwater, she can swim at supersonic speeds, and when on land, she can outrun an average Olympic athlete. She was able to outrun and escape the Men-of-War in Italy, being able to dodge their shots.
- Superhuman Durability: Her body is immense and more resistant to physical damage, as she was able to survive fatal blows from Steppenwolf.
- Superhuman Agility: She has extreme dexterity, being able to jump from rooftops in Italy.
- Superhuman Senses: She possesses enhanced senses, being able to see underwater, and can better navigate her environment.
- Aquatic Adaption: Mera is one of many Atlantean's that can survive on both land and water.
- Aquatic Respiration: Thought most of her Xebellian species cannot, Mera can breath underwater with ease, due to her being a high-Xebellian.
- Hydrokinesis: Mera has the ability to manipulate water, and when doing so, her eyes turn bright blue. She showed this ability when fighting against Steppenwolf, and was able to knock him down. In addition, she can manipulate and drain water from beings, collecting sweat from Arthur to unlock the Atlantean device.
- High Intelligence: Mera showed herself to be highly intelligent, being wise enough to know to use Arthur's sweat to unlock the Atlantean device.
- Master Combatant: She was trained in Atlantean battle arts, and became a skilled warrior in her own right. She shows her combat prowess when fighting against Men-of-War, and Murk himself.
- Master Swimmer: Due to being raised under the sea, Mera is a talented swimmer, and can navigate without a problem.
- Expert Pilot: She is also a expert pilot, having a two-person ship, and was able to barrage through blasts.
- She appears to like eating roses.
- In DC Comics, Nereus is not her father, but her ex-fiancée, who she was once betrothed to.
|Extended Universe Heroes|