|~ Mermaid Man's catchphrase and most famous quote.|
Mermaid Man is one of the semi-retired superheroes of Bikini Bottom from SpongeBob SquarePants. They are the favorites of SpongeBob and Patrick and both he and Barnacle Boy live in a retirement home doing things retired people do. While being on superhero duty, fighting off villains including Man Ray (arch-nemesis) and Dirty Bubble (second arch-nemesis).
He was voiced by the late Ernest Borgnine.
Mermaid Man is portrayed as a stereotypically overweight senile elder, and appears to suffer from slight memory loss as he is easily flustered by others' behavior, though this also could be partly credited to his hearing loss. As a young adult, Mermaid Man had a brawny, athletic build, but the elderly Mermaid Man is obese and out of shape. As opposed to his sidekick, Barnacle Boy, he is slightly less cranky and somewhat more tolerant of SpongeBob's ecstatic optimism, but only to a certain extent as SpongeBob's slips or mistakes have triggered serious consequences before in the past, and his partner seems aggravated with Mermaid Man's absentminded tendencies. Despite this, Mermaid Man has maintained some of his abilities as a skilled crime-fighter, though some of them have comically been shifted in a fashion more appropriate with stereotypes commonly associated with his age; however, few of his admirers seem particularly bothered by this.
- They are a parody of the following superheroes:
- Aquaman and Aqualad because of their appearance similarities.
- Wonder Woman because of their Invisible Boatmobile (which they're constantly trying to find) is based on the Invisible Jet.
- Batman and Robin because their action and adventures are based on their first show. Also, the Invisible Boatmobile is also a parody the Batmobile.
- Their version of Jingle Bells song is also a spoof of Batman version of the song Jingle Bells which was usually sung at Christmas.
- Young Mermaid Man was voiced by the late Adam West in the episode “Back to the Past”(who also portrays Batman in the 1966 live-action television series of the same name) and Tom Kenny in “Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy”.
- Incidentally, his co-star Burt Ward, who portrayed Robin in the same series, was the voice of Young Barnacle Boy as well.
- Mermaid Man is about 5'9 and 225 lbs while Barnacle Boy is about 5'6 and 160 lbs.
- In Mermaid Man's early appearances, his belt is yellow (similar to the Silver Age Aquaman's belt), but in his later appearances beginning with "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV", his belt is purple with a metallic-blue M.
- His real name is based off his late voice actor Ernest Borgnine.
- Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, along with Grandma Squarepants are the three retired characters from Spongebob SquarePants series, after Mermaid Man's VA Ernest Borgnine passed away in 2012 and Tim Conway passed away in 2019, seven years after Ernest Borgnine's death.