|~ Mermaid Man|
Mermaid Man is one of the semi-retired superheroes of Bikini Bottom from SpongeBob SquarePants. They are the favorites of SpongeBob and Patrick and both he and Barnacle Boy live in a retirement home doing things retired people do. While being on superhero duty, fighting off villains including Man Ray (arch-nemesis) and Dirty Bubble (second arch-nemesis).
Mermaid Man is portrayed as a stereotypically overweight senile elder, and appears to suffer from slight memory loss as he is easily confused by others' behavior, though this also could be partly credited to his hearing loss. As a young adult, Mermaid Man had a muscular, athletic build, but the elderly Mermaid Man is obese and out of shape. As opposed to his sidekick, Barnacle Boy, he is slightly less grouchy and somewhat more tolerant of SpongeBob's ecstatic optimism, but only to a certain extent as SpongeBob's slips or mistakes have triggered serious consequences before in the past, and his partner seems annoyed with Mermaid Man's absentminded tendencies. Despite this, Mermaid Man has maintained some of his abilities as a skilled crime-fighter, though some of them have comically been shifted in a fashion more appropriate with stereotypes commonly associated with his age; however, few of his admirers seem particularly bothered by this.
- They are a parody of the following superheroes:
- Aquaman and Aqualad cause of their appearance similarities.
- Wonder Woman cause their Invisible Boatmobile (which they reccuringly try to find) is based on the Invisible Jet.
- Batman and Robin because their action and adventures are based on the first show.
- Young Mermaid Man was voiced by the late Adam West (who also portrays Batman in the 1966 live-action television series of the same name).
- Incidentally, his co-star Burt Ward, who portrayed Robin in the same series, was the voice of Young Barnacle Boy as well.
- Mermaid Man is about 5'9 and 225 lbs while Barnacle Boy is about 5'6 and 160 lbs.
- In Mermaid Man's early appearances, his belt is yellow (similar to the Silver Age Aquaman's belt), but in his later appearances beginning with "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV", his belt is purple with a metallic-blue M.
- His real name is based on his original voice actor.