Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are the semi-retired superheroes of Bikini Bottom from SpongeBob SquarePants. They are the favorites of SpongeBob and Patrick and both live in a retirement home doing things retired people do. While being on superhero duty, fighting off villains including the Dirty Bubble (number one nemesis) and Manray (second Nemesis).
About Mermaid Man
Mermaid Man is portrayed as a stereotypically senile elder, and appears to suffer from slight memory loss as he is easily confused by others' behavior, though this also could be partly credited to his hearing loss. As a young adult, Mermaid Man had a muscular, athletic build, but the elderly Mermaid Man is obese and out of shape. As opposed to his sidekick, Barnacle Boy, he is slightly less grouchy and somewhat more tolerant of SpongeBob's ecstatic optimism, but only to a certain extent as SpongeBob's slips or mistakes have triggered serious consequences before in the past, and his partner seems annoyed with Mermaid Man's absentminded tendencies. Despite this, Mermaid Man has maintained some of his abilities as a skilled crime-fighter, though some of them have comically been shifted in a fashion more appropriate with stereotypes commonly associated with his age; however, few of his admirers seem particularly bothered by this.
About Barnacle Boy
Barnacle Boy is depicted as being the undercredited and underappreciated younger sidekick of Mermaid Man. Grumpy and slightly ill-tempered, Barnacle Boy is notable for his brooding, moody disposition and exasperation with his partner's absentminded behavior as a result of old age, and even into his golden years, Barnacle Boy is still treated in a juvenile fashion, coddled in an infantile way.
|~ Mermaid Man|
|“||"Stop calling me boy."||„|
|~ Barnacle Boy|
|“||"That's Barnacle Man."||„|
|~ Barnacle Boy|
- They are a parody of the following superheroes:
- In Mermaid Man's early appearances, he was voiced by the late Ernest Borgnine. After Borgnine's death, Joe Whyte is now the current voice actor for Mermaid Man.
- Barnacle Boy is voiced by late comedian, Tim Conway.
- Young Mermaid Man was voiced by the late Adam West (who also portrays Batman in the 1966 live-action television series of the same name).
- Young Barnacle Boy was voiced by Burt Ward (who also portrays Robin in the 1966 live-action television series of the same name).
- Mermaid Man is about 5'9 and 225 lbs while Barnacle Boy is about 5'6 and 160 lbs.
- In Mermaid Man's early appearances, his belt is yellow (similar to the Silver Age Aquaman's belt), but in his later appearances, his belt is purple with a metallic-blue M.