Methuselah, also dubbed Titanus Methuselah, is a minor character in the 2019 film, Godzilla: King of the Monsters. He is a giant mountain/plant hybrid kaiju who appears as a minor Titan that obeys Ghidorah, later Godzilla.
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Methuselah was awakened from his slumber in Germany by Ghidorah's call, which also awakened many other Titans around the world. Methuselah erupted from underground, the mountain above him being revealed to actually be part of his body. Like the other Titans, Methuselah rampaged through populated areas, tearing through structures with his horns. Eventually, he made his way to Boston along with Scylla, Behemoth and the six-legged MUTO. There, they found the alpha they were following, Ghidorah, was slain at the hands of Godzilla. Rodan approached Godzilla to challenge him, but was intimidated by his gaze and ultimately submitted. The other Titans all followed suit, each "bowing" in their own way to the new king of the Titans.
Godzilla Dominion and Godzilla vs. Kong
Between the five years after Godzilla becomes the new alpha Titan, Methuselah and all other Titans excluding Godzilla and Kong have stopped their activity, making Monarch label Methuselah's status as "Defeated". The prequel comic later revealed that Godzilla has him and other Titans return into dormancy after the alpha Titan senses Ghidorah is still alive.
Methuselah is a ginormous mountain/plant creature who appears to be quadrupedal, with a mammalian face possessing horns like a bull. His eyes lack visible pupils and are glossy and clouded-over. Methuselah's most noticeable physical trait is the gigantic mountain he carries on his back, which allows him to camouflage and blend into the landscape surrounding his place of rest in Germany. He has also disguised himself as an island and an iceberg.
Powers and Abilities
- Titan Physiology: As a Titan, Methuselah is incredibly powerful as he possesses various physical and supernatural attributes that surpasses that of most other Titans.
- Advanced Strength: Due to his gigantic size, Methuselah has immense amounts of physical strength as he can effortlessly carry an entire human population on his back and is strong enough to tear through buildings with ease.
- Advanced Durability: Methuselah demonstrates large amounts of durability as his armour-plated shell is extremely indestructible, allowing him to withstand powerful attacks such as conventional weaponry.
- Advanced Stamina: Methuselah's musculature is considerably more efficient. His virtually inexhaustible stamina enables him to exert himself at peak capacity for an undefined period of time without tiring at all. Even when he makes his way all the way to Boston, Methuselah does not even seem to have any obvious signs of fatigue until he reaches his destination to challenge Godzilla.
- Camouflage: Methuselah's massive body is able to blend into landscapes by masquerading as areas of the surrounding environment, having disguised himself as an island in a Canadian archipelago, an iceberg, and even a small mountain. He is also capable of starting and supporting life by growing a forest on his shell as this can apparently be done very quickly.
- Advanced Combatant: Methuselah can use his jaws and massive horns in combat against other Titans.
- Sharp Horns: Similar to a bull or a ram, Methuselah possesses massive horns growing down from the top of his head and can be used as formidable weapons. He is capable of inflicting damage and destruction using these horns as well as pierce through the skin of opponents in combat.
- Armored Shell: Methuselah has an extremely thick, armored shell that enables him to withstand conventional weaponry.
- Sharp Teeth and Claws: Methuselah has powerful jaws lined with razor-sharp teeth which grant him a lethal bite and sharp claws which are sufficient to rend most materials.
Godzilla and the Methuselah seem to have a respectful relationship. Methuselah does not attack Godzilla, but instead bows to him to show how he respects and acknowledge him as the rightful alpha Titan.
- The outpost Methuselah was contained in, Monarch Outpost 67, is a possible reference to the 1967 Toho film Son of Godzilla.
- When Methuselah was first shown in a trailer for Godzilla: King of the Monsters, he was widely believed to be Anguirus or Baragon.
- Methuselah was created to show that Titans could be a part of the natural world.