This Hero was Headlined on May 2017.
|“||I'm gonna be the Pirate King!||„|
|~ Monkey D. Luffy|
|“||I don't want to rule anything. Being King of the Pirates means being more free than anyone.||„|
|~ Luffy explains his reasons why he wants to be king.|
|“||I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!||„|
|~ Monkey D. Luffy|
|“||In a duel between pirates... There's no such thing as play dirty. Not being able to dodge it was my mistake...!!||„|
|~ Luffy to Katakuri when their fight was interrupted by Flampe.|
|“||After I take down Kaido, you're next, Big Mom!||„|
|~ Luffy to Big Mom.|
|“||SHUT UP!!….LET’S GO!!!||„|
|~ Luffy to Tony Tony Chopper|
|“||You guys were... their slaves?!||„|
|~ Luffy when Boa Hancock and her sisters revealed their tragedy.|
Monkey D. Luffy also known as Straw Hat Luffy and later as Joy Boy, is the protagonist of the One Piece franchise. He is the captain of the Straw Hat Pirates and a Yonko that wants to find the One Piece treasure and become the King of the Pirates. He is also the son of Monkey D. Dragon, the grandson of Monkey D. Garp, the adoptive younger brother of Portgas D. Ace and Sabo, and the love interest of Boa Hancock.
He is voiced by Urara Takano and Mayumi Tanaka in the Japanese version of the anime, and by Erica Schroeder, Chuck Powers and Colleen Clinkenbeard in the English version of the anime. He will be voiced by Iñaki Godoy in the live action version.
Monkey D. Luffy is the son of Monkey D. Dragon, the grandson of Monkey D. Garp, and the adoptive younger brother of the late Portgas D. Ace and the revolutionary Sabo.
His main aspiration is to become the Pirate King and is searching for the One Piece, a legendary treasure left by the previous Pirate King named Gold Roger. His inspiration comes from a crew of other pirates who used to visit his island when he was a child, the captain of which was "Red-Haired" Shanks. During one of these pirate crew's visits, he accidentally ate the Gum-Gum Fruit (ゴムゴムの実, Gomu Gomu no mi), a type of Devil Fruit that made his body like rubber. The catch to having these powers is an inability to swim: all those who eat a Devil Fruit will drown if they fall into the ocean.
He is the founder and captain of the Straw Hat Pirates (named for the straw hat Shanks had given him the last time they met), as well as one of it's four strongest members alongside Roronoa Zoro, Sanji, and Jinbe. The World Government views Luffy as a major threat, due to him directly targeting them and their operations multiple times and for being the son of the Revolutionary Dragon. He is also part of the 11 troublemaking pirate rookies called the "Worst Generation", alongside with his archenemy, Marshall D. Teach (Blackbeard). After escaping Big Mom's territory, he was considered by the World Economic Journal as the "Fifth Emperor" among the Yonko.
At age 7, after the Red-Haired Pirates left, Luffy was trained brutally by his grandfather, Garp, who tossed him into the bottomless ravine, left him into the jungle every night and tied him up with balloons to send him flying in the sky, as a result, to become a strong man despite the young age. Luffy was left to train with his brothers, Ace and Sabo. The first pirates they've been fighting were the Bluejam Pirates. After Sabo went missing due to the World Noble shot him as a result of his hatred toward the World Noble before he punched one of them in Sabaody Archipelago. At age 14, after Ace's departed, he trained for 3 years to control his devil fruit powers before he departs to become a pirate.
His first bounty was 30,000,000 Berries after defeating the three top pirates of East Blue and the marine captain Morgan. His second bounty was 100,000,000 Berries after he defeated the Shichibukai Sir Crocodile. His third bounty was 300,000,000 Berries after defeated Blueno and Rob Lucci and declared a war against the World Government. His fourth bounty was 400,000,000 Berries after he defeated another Shichibukai, Gekko Moriah; punched a Celestial Dragon (and managed escaped from Kizaru from the help of Bartholomew Kuma by sending him flying to Amazon Lily so that the World Government and the Marines will not be able to find him); break into and out of Impel Down; invaded Marineford to rescue his brother Portgas D. Ace with Whitebeard's help, for being publicly revealed as a son of the Revolutionary Dragon; after Ace died, he escapes Marineford by the help of Jinbei; and he returned to Marineford to ring the Ox Bell 16 times.
Luffy's fifth bounty was 500,000,000 Berries after he defeated another Shichibukai, Donquixote Doflamingo, and formed an alliance with Trafalgar D. Water Law. He takes part in the Sanji's Retrieve Team to destroy his arranged wedding with Charlotte Pudding and take Sanji back (until he learned that he fall into Big Mom's trap to get himself, his crew (including Sanji) and the entire Vinsmoke Family killed). He formed an alliance with the Fire Tank Pirates Captain and one of his rivals, Capone Bege to overthrow the Yonko, Big Mom and save the Vinsmoke Family but their alliance began to end as they prepare to escape Totto Land. He had a fight with the second son of the Charlotte Family and the strongest Sweet Commander Katakuri. However, his fight was interrupted by Katakuri's annoying sister, Flampe when she is using a silent blowgun for breaking his focus until he and Katakuri used Haoshoku Haki to knock Flampe and her subordinates to resume their fight.
After defeating Katakuri, He is prepared to escape Cacao Island surrounded by Charlotte Oven but until Germa 66 arrived just in time to fight off against Oven and his squad. After escape Totto Land, His sixth was 1,500,000,000 and considered by the World Economic Journal as the Fifth Emperor. According to his arch-enemy, Blackbeard, it's too soon for Luffy to become a new Yonko. He and the others are heading straight toward Wano Country to face Kaido and his Beast Pirates. Unbeknownst to him, Big Mom and her crew prepared to leave Totto Land and heading straight towards Wano to get her revenge on Luffy despite Kaido threaten to kill her if she comes. In Wano Country, he was defeated and locked up into cell with his rival, Eustass Kid by Kaido to attempted to break their wills by torturing them in order to become Kaido's new powerful subordinates. Luffy formed an alliance with Kid to take down Kaido and Big Mom's alliance. When Kaido nearly killed him due to a CP0 Agent's interference, Luffy awakened his Devil Fruit revealing its true name as Hito Hito no Mi, Model: Nika (a Mythical Zoan type Devil Fruit that the World Government failed this fruit countless times even for 800 years) not only boosting his strength but also hurting Kaido. After he and his rivals defeating Kaido and Big Mom, Luffy is now an official Yonko replacing Kaido and his bounty now worth 3,000,000,000 berries by the World Government. Due to Awakened his devil fruit, Luffy is currently a title holder of "Joy Boy".
He has immense healing capabilities and an extremely fast recovery rate. In Impel Down, when his natural healing abilities were boosted by Ivankov's healing hormones and further driven by his will, Luffy was able to not only survive the excessive dose of Magellan's deadly poison but also managed to overcome the poisoning within less than a day, a feat which Ivankov noted to be more than just a miracle. In Whole Cake Island, despite being on the verge of death and being brutally injured by Sanji beforehand, he quickly regains all his lost stamina and energy after eating Sanji's bento and was completely unfazed by the serious injuries he had suffered beforehand.
He also regrows a missing tooth instantly after drinking some milk similar to how Brook healed his injuries. Even his wounds from Kaido recovered after working, eating and sleeping for few days even though with Sea Prism Stone shackles draining his devil fruit ability but still retained his strength and Haki.
Luffy is a teenage young boy with fair skin, black eyes, and short, messy black hair. He has a scar under his left eye, which he earned by stabbing himself under the eye with a knife. He was severely wounded by Akainu in the Battle of Marineford, leaving an X-shaped scar on his chest. His primary outfit consists of his trademark straw hat (which he received from Red-Haired Shanks), a red sleeveless vest with 3 buttons, short, blue trousers with white cuffs, and light brown sandals with black straps. After the timeskip, he wears an open, long-sleeved red cardigan with four buttons with a yellow sash tied around his waist. He maintains his short blue trousers, sandals, and of course, his trademark straw hat.
Powers & Abilities
- Enhanced Strength: As captain of the Straw Hat Pirates, Monkey D. Luffy has immense physical strength and is capable of lifting up large boulders, breaking stone, shattering steel with his bare hands, pushing apart large buildings, and shoulder flipping a huge man. Additionally, Luffy has always fought the strongest villain of the story arc (except in the Romance Dawn Arc). Luffy's sheer physical strength and dexterity is a result of his grandfather's unorthodox training methods (such as being thrown into a bottomless ravine, tied to a balloon, thrown into a forest at night, etc.) and he claimed he had a punch as powerful as a pistol even at seven years of age. Overall, Luffy's immense physical power allows him to fight the most powerful and dangerous enemies such as Arlong and Hody Jones, two fearsome and brutal fishermen; Enel, an extremely powerful Logia user; Rob Lucci, the strongest member of the CP9; three previous members of the Shichibukai: Crocodile, Moriah, and Doflamingo; and even Charlotte Cracker and Katakuri, two of the Three Sweet Commanders of the Big Mom Pirates. He is also shown to increase in strength quite dramatically in a short period of time, most noticeably being the fight against Minotaurus, where the first time it took the combined efforts of Mr. 2, Mr. 3, and Buggy just to beat him, but the next time, Luffy defeated him with a single "Gum Gum Jet Pistol".
- Enhanced Speed & Reflexes: Luffy also possesses tremendous speed and reflexes to match his strength and endurance. In fact, on more than one occasion, Luffy was able to anticipate moves and counter attacks that would normally be beyond his field of vision due to his sharp reflexes. Early on in the series, Luffy is seen being able to react to foes faster than him, like Kuro, Arlong, Bellamy, and Enel. After learning the CP9's Soru technique to enhance both speed and strength, he became even more so. After the timeskip he has become even faster, being able to dodge attacks even while in Third Gear, and even creating enough friction while running at full speed to set the ground on fire. He could evade a majority of Katakuri's assaults, which the latter noted to be extremely rare.
- Enhanced Endurance & Durability: His endurance and durability are incredible; taking continuous, deadly assaults from powerful opponents that would have killed a normal person easily in most of his fights, yet still being able to stand up and continue fighting effectively. Over the course of the series, he progressively becomes able to take more and more punishment and fight for longer periods of time without tiring. He could withstand a direct hit from Kaku and Kalifa's combined Rankyaku attacks without any injuries and survived Rob Lucci's extremely destructive Rokuougan twice at point-blank range and even manage to muster enough strength to perform a full-powered Jet Gatling. At Thriller Bark, Luffy was brutally smashed by the 1000 shadow enhanced Moriah without losing consciousness. By the events of the Whole Cake Island Arc, his endurance and durability have grown to the point that he is able to fight a grueling battle with Charlotte Cracker for 11 straight hours (while activating Gear Fourth at least twice), and after only a brief nap, endured a vicious beating from Sanji's Diable Jambeenhanced kicks only to be back on his feet shortly thereafter and still capable of using Gear Second when attacked by Big Mom's army. Furthermore, he then goes on to rampage through the Whole Cake Chateau, defeating dozens more of Big Mom's underlings even while being badly injured, extremely fatigued, and near-death from starvation. He even managed to survive Katakuri's extremely powerful Haki enhanced attacks. Despite heavy injuries, he shrugged off the damage to continue the battle. Due to him being rubber, lightning and electricity are completely useless against such as both Enel's lightning and later Zeus' lightning.
- Enhanced Stamina: Luffy's stamina is also outstanding. He was able to fight 12 uninterrupted hours against Katakuri after having only a few hours of sleep in the last three days, sustaining several injuries from Cracker, Sanji, and the Enraged Army, and without eating properly (to near starvation) during that period of time.
- Enhanced Agility: Luffy is also shown to be extremely agile to the point where he can perform flips, rolls, and dodges. Early on in the series, Luffy is seen being able to react to foes faster than him, like Kuro, Arlong, Bellamy, and Enel. After learning the CP9's Soru technique to enhance both speed and strength, he became even more so.
- Enhanced Healing: He has immense healing capabilities and an extremely fast recovery rate. In Impel Down, when his natural healing abilities were boosted by Ivankov's healing hormones and further driven by his will, Luffy was able to not only survive the excessive dose of Magellan's deadly poison but also managed to overcome the poisoning within less than a day, a feat which Ivankov noted to be more than just a miracle. In Whole Cake Island, despite being on the verge of death and being brutally injured by Sanji beforehand, he quickly regains all his lost stamina and energy after eating Sanji's bento and was completely unfazed by the serious injuries he had suffered beforehand. He also regrows a missing tooth instantly after drinking some milk similar to how Brook healed his injuries.
- Indomitable Will: His vast strength is only exceeded by his enormous willpower, as demonstrated on several occasions throughout the series, most noted of all in the Thriller Bark Arc when he manages to take in 100 shadows without passing out, compared to normal humans, who can only take in 2 or 3.
- Supernatural Survivability: This willpower even lets him survive far beyond what normal people are capable of, as demonstrated when he was poisoned very far beyond what a human is capable of surviving, only living on despite his critical condition through sheer willpower. This is also shown when he survives through Emporio Ivankov's "Healing Hormones" ability, which even with a slim chance of surviving had not only survived the endeavor but made a recovery in twenty hours when the normal time for the healing procedure is two days. This was later shown with Basil Hawkins' "fortune telling" ability, as despite doing it multiple times, he could never get Luffy's chances of survival to reach 0.
- Enhanced Jaw Strength: He also possesses extraordinary jaw strength, as seen in the Orange Town Arc in the manga, where he had almost chewed through the metal bars of the cage Buggy put him in. In the following arc, he shattered Jango's steel chakram with his teeth alone (anime). He also ate the cage that Gekko Moriah put him in, and managed to give Rob Lucci a small bite wound, as well as break the steel chain used to bind Nami (in Franky's body) after the timeskip. His greatest feat in this area, however, was that he managed to make Jinbe, who is known to have an extremely high tolerance towards pain, yell out in pain when he bit the fishman's arm.
Master Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Luffy's fighting style has proven to be rather adaptable and versatile, which is because of his Gomu Gomu no Mi, which turns him into a rubber man and supplemented by his own immense physical prowess. Unlike Zoro and Sanji, his fighting style isn't based off actual martial arts instead being almost self-taught and improvised, however, Luffy has proven to be capable of fighting against martial arts specials like Rob Lucci. In battles, he used several tactics ranging from creative and unusual counterattacks and techniques against experienced foes who wondered whether or not he was serious like Crocodile when Luffy became Water Luffy. He created several different techniques based on his Gomu Gomu no Mi, in addition to his Second, Third, and Fourth Gears, which given him an edge in combat.
Intelligence: Despite his dimwitted nature, he has at least the fundamental understanding of his Gomu Gomu no Mi, which makes him rubber, a natural insulator, letting him take Enel's lightning attacks head-on without avoiding a single attack since it was pointless because of he was immune to electrical-based attacks. Luffy could develop moves such as Second and Third Gear; the former uses his rubber blood vessels to increase his blood flow thus providing him more oxygen and nutrients, granting him greater speed and power; and the latter, he bites into his fingers to inflate his arm and bones, thus making his arm giant, letting him deal greater damage. Although, Luffy is the least strategic member of his crew, because of his habit of charging without a plan or knowledge of his own enemies, Luffy is adaptable in combat, taking advantage of his strengths and devil fruit powers, as well as even taking advantage of his opponent's weaknesses. This causes even warriors long considered unbeatable to have trouble keeping up. Also, even if most of the time he acts instinctively, in some cases Luffy has shown to be intelligent enough to give some orders to his crewmates in the wake of making a strategy or simply making things go as he prefers. This usually ends up being an advantage for the crew.
Miscellaneous Skills & Weaknesses
Sleep Eating: Luffy also has the mysterious and uncanny ability to, while completely asleep, eat as if he were awake, and even knows when more food has been placed on the table. This is probably purely based on muscle memory since what Luffy does best is fighting and eating. It's been shown on several occasions that meat may act as more of a power source than simply a favorite food for Luffy, as whenever he becomes exhausted or tired from a fierce battle, he simply eats some meat and he's back in fighting condition again.
Background: Similar to his adoptive older brother, Portgas D. Ace, Luffy comes from an intimidating background in addition to being among the Family of D. His grandfather is hailed as the Naval Hero, Monkey D. Garp and his father is known as the Revolutionary Dragon, Monkey D. Dragon who is considered the most dangerous man in the world by the World Government. During the Paramount War, the Marines and Admirals considered him one of the biggest potential threats to the world raising his bounty several times following multiple incidents. It was also shown after his two-year absence where Demalo Black used his identity and alias to bring fear to the hearts of all the people of the Saboady Archipelago, as well as recruit powerful pirates using the Straw Hats' names. Several of the New World Pirates were shocked to find that Caesar Clown managed to capture him. During the Corrida Colosseum tournament in Dressrosa, several contestants express fear over his presence, even Bartolomeo who had casually won the B Block.
Self-Transcendence: Luffy has proven time and time again to grow stronger as he fights against his opponents, whether it was finding different methods to using his long-thought useless Gomu Gomu no Mi, creating both his Second and Third Gears. Following the two-year timeskip, this is further proven as he learned Haki, in addition to overcoming the drastic weaknesses of both Gears, which left him in a vulnerable state and was now normal. It was possible for him to almost destroy the entire Noah, an enormous ship half the size of Fishman Island, while he was suffering from blood loss if the Sea Kings hadn't stopped it themselves. After entering the New World, he could face some of the strongest pirates such as Don Chinjao, an old pirate worth 542,000,000 Belly and a true testament to this, Luffy strengthened his Kenbunshoku Haki through fighting Charlotte Katakuri over nine hours, then later his Busoshoku Haki during training in Udon overcoming the weaknesses of Fourth Gear, managing to wound and knock down Kaido in their second bout whereas he couldn't do in Fourth Gear.
Swimming: Like all other Devil Fruit users, Luffy lost the ability to swim after devouring a the Gomu Gomu no Mi by accident, however, because of his usual dimwitted nature, he doesn't avoid water sports and also because of his kind nature tends to jump into the ocean to rescue someone from drowning (though he'll end up drowning too as well). However, it is noted that Luffy never learned how to swim in the first place and it was too late for him to learn since he ate a Devil Fruit around the time he promised Shanks to learn to swim, as well as later being told eating a Devil Fruit means he can't swim anymore.
- Seastone: The same as other Devil Fruit users, Luffy is also vulnerable to anything that made using Seastone, in which gives off the same wavelength as the sea. As such, coming in contact with it drains him of his powers in a matter of seconds. However, in Wano, after being forced to wear modified Seastone cuffs, he took advantage of it to train himself despite being significantly weakened carrying around carried 500 blocks.
- Hypnosis: He is heavily susceptible to any form of hypnotism and does not have the sense to turn away, such as Jango's powers of hypnosis or Miss Goldenweek's Colors Trap.
- Distraction: He is also easily distracted when he sees something that's "just too cool", like seeing Chopper's transformations for the first time, the Thousand Sunny's Gaon Cannon, an energy beam from a Pacifista, his wax armor made from Mr.3's Doru Doru no Mi powers, or the Iron Pirate "Franky Shogun", ignoring everything around him.
- Sense of Direction: Even though Luffy is a sailor and the captain of his ship, he has no sense of direction. He believes that if one is to go north, he has to head in a "cold-ish" direction. As a result of this, coupled with his ability to get stuck in certain situations, he tends to arrive barely in time to fight his opponent.
Fist of Love: A gag move, which is employed by his grandfather, Monkey D. Garp able to damage Luffy in spite of his rubber physiology making him invulnerable to blunt attacks. However, it was soon revealed that thes "Fist of Love" is the result of Garp infusing his fist with Busohoku Haki.
After eating the Gomu Gomu no Mi (Rubber Rubber Fruit), a Paramecia, became a Rubber Man, granting his entire build the properties of rubber, allowing him to stretch his limbs to attack at varied distances, such as his arms and legs for mid-to-long ranged attacks. Though useless at first, from undergoing intense training for 10 years in prepartions to become a pirate, it became pivotal for his unique fighting style.
Although, Luffy cannot stretch his limbs on comman (much like heroes such as Mr. Fantastic and Plastic Man), because in being rubber, he needs to put more effort into throwing his limbs forward similar to stretching a rubber band to gather potential (kinetic) force for greater power and speed for attacks. He has been shown to be able to hold his limbs outstretched for a long period of time, as seen when he reaches his arm out about half a mile down to try and retrieve Usopp from falling through the Sea Clouds.
It was noted that after the two-year timeskip, he managed to achieve the feat of stretching out his limbs without effort.
During the Wano Arc, it was revealed that his Gomu Gomu no Mi was a name that the Five Nobles gave it to hide its true name. It's true name is the Mythical Zoan, Hito Hito ni Mi, Model: Nika (Human Human Fruit, Model: Nika), which bears the name of a God. Although, the World Government had failed to acquire it even for 800 years. As with the original, Luffy is granted a rubber physiology, in addition to the same properties as a Zoan. In addition to this, its limited to their imagination alone and can bring smiles on the faces of the people who sees them.
After being "killed" by Kaido, his Devil Fruit "Awakened", resulting in all of his previous abilities being strengthened and gaining more freedom, being hailed as the "most ridiculous power in the world". In awakening his fruit, he was able to grab and toss around Kaido in dragon form, and grant rubber traits to the things he touches.
Gear Second is a technique Luffy uses to gain enhanced strength as well as speed and mobility by gaining one of Rokushiki, Soru. He activates it by bumping his blood pressure from his knees to his heart. During his Haki training, he gained the new control Gear Second by hardening his punch to destroy the Pacifista with ease.
Gear Third is a gigantic move Luffy uses to make his body big as a giant. He activates it by biting his thumb and blows it like a balloon. Despite gain power, its speed becomes too slow. It's side-effect caused Luffy to change into his chibi form until giving him minutes to regrow into his original form. But it's efforts improved that it not only hurt the target but damaging their legs. After gaining his Haki in his training, Luffy gains new control over gear third and no longer shrink into his chibi form anymore. He hardened Gear Third with Busoshoku Haki more than enough to defeating Surume, Hody Jones and Caesar Clown.
Gear Fourth is the newest and strongest technique, which Luffy reached in Haki training on the island, Rusukaina, located northwest of Amazon Lily. It is activated from biting his arm, while hardening it using Busoshoku Haki and then inflates himself with a large amount of air. Gear Four turns parts of his arms black (a reddish tint in the anime), and flame-like armor. It grants Luffy far greater offense, defense, and speed, surpassing that of Gear Second and Third, able to compete against the strongest Pirates and Yonko Commanders.
However, after it runs out, he is unable to use Haki for 10 minutes and using it a second time after causes him to become unconscious, such as in his fights against Doflamingo and Katakuri.
In Wano, training in Udon Prison, and strengthening his Busoshoku Haki, Luffy achieved greater control over Gear Fourth, entering it without needing to bite his arm. It now allows him to deal damage to even the Yonko, such as Kadio in human, dragon, and humanoid dragon forms.
- Boundman: This form is similar to Nightmare Luffy. Despite his size, His speed becomes immense. His attack allowing to send the Former Shichibukai, Donquixote Doflamingo flying and make his arm bigger similarity to Gear Third to defeated him with King Kong Gun. It's durability become not only hardened but rubbery to make him immune to Doflamingo's attacks.
- Tankman: This is a form, Luffy could be able to enter, but the base state hasn't been entered yet.
- Tankman Manpuku Version: Aftering eating Cracker's biscuits to become super fat, Tankman is a fatter version of Boundman. Luffy became immune to Cracker's pretzel sword attacks. His Gomu Gomu no Cannonball attack send Cracker flying toward his biscuit soldiers cause more than enough to defeat him.
- Snakeman: During his battle against Katakuri, Snakeman is a smaller version of Boundman. It's speed and attacks are greater than Boundman. But it's durability is not as strong as Boundman.
Having achieved his "Awakening", he created Gear Fifth, where he doesn't inflate himself and use Busoshoku Haki. Instead he assumes a different apperance no different from his regular one, instead gaining more flame-like hair taking on a pure white shape that spreads to his clothing too, irregular eyes, and steam wrapped around him. Luffy also smiled.
In this state, Luffy can inflate himself as free at using Gear Third, gaining the strength to fling around Kaido, while not putting in much effort, gaining a much more cartoonish fighting style, where he turns things around him into rubber too. He can deflected any projectiles back at his enemies when he reflected Kaido's energy beam back at him.
Prior to the two-year timeskip, Luffy was noted to have innate Haki, a mysterious power, which was first noted in Jaya by Blackbeard, Marshall D. Teach. Although, still unaware about it, in all his adventures and battles since Thriller Bark, his Haki started awakening. Later at Impel Down, Blackbeard noted that his Haki has grown stronger since the last time they met.
Silvers Rayleigh noted that he has a natural talent in using Haki since he learned the basics in 18 months, whereas he previously believed that 2 years were too short for him. Throughout all his intense battles in the New World against powerful Pirate Commanders and Emperors, his Haki has grown more powerful when pushed to the limit.
Luffy has become one of the few people in the world who uses all three Haki types.
Luffy is a rare possessor of Haoshoku Haki (Conqueror's Haki), which a rare Haki said to exist within one in a million poeple described as being chosen by Heaven, holding the qualities of a "King". His Haoshoku Haki showed signs of awakening without his knowledge, using it to knock out Duval's steed, Motobaro; ravenous wolves; and several marines and pirates at Marineford.
Although, Luffy was already considered a threat to begin with by the World Government, since he was the Revolutionary Dragon, Monkey D. Dragon's son, him being in possession of Haoshoku Haki made him more of a threat. Following his two years of training with Rayleigh, this became his Haki specialty, using this as a means of knocking out weaker-willed opponents without harming innocent civilians.
During the Battle on Onigashima, he learned he could "infuse" himself with Haoshoku Haki, drastically increasing his offensive capabilities, causing dark lightning to flow from the infused portion. Using this, Luffy dealt significant damage to Kaido after using it alongside his advanced Busoshoku Haki, whereas all of his previous attacks were too shallow. However, Kaido noted his control was "too crude and clumsy", leading his defeat. Once Luffy went to challenge him again, a collision between him and Kaido caused the "heavens to be split", indicating that his Haki reached the same level as the Emperors.
Training with Rayleigh, Luffy attained skill in using Kenbunshoku Haki (Observation Haki), which he uses this to both predict and avoid attacks from Demalo Black's bullet, a Pacifista's laser beam, and Hody Jones' Yabusame without effort; in addition to being capable of sensing the presence of others such as Caribou inside of the Ryuga Palace sensing him before Sanji and Zoro who uses the same Haki, then later at Punk Hazard he was able to sense the Yeti Cool Brothers attacking Chopper and Nami.
Following his long battle against Charlotte Katakuri for nine hours inside of the Mirror World, Luffy was capable of strengthening and mastering Kenbunshoku Haki to the point of being able to see slightly ahead in the future just like Katakuri, which he later uses to great ability on Wano to help Hyogoro to dodge Llamaman and Madilloman. Though he could see the future, his Haki only manage of him to barely dodge of Kaido's second "Raimei Hakke" but still injuried him.
Aside from Haoshoku Haki, Luffy has used Busoshoku Haki, which he uses to increase his offense and defense, in addition to hitting the actual form of Devil Fruit eaters such as Logia users who appears almost invincible due to their elemental intangible forms. Despite not hardening his hand, a Busoshoku Haki-enhanced Jet Pistol could easily destroy a Pacifista in a single punch. After hardening his fists, turning the applied areas black, which mixed with Third Gear, boosted his attack enough to defeat a Kraken underwater, despite Devil Fruit powers weakening underwater. Although, Luffy wasn't skilled enough to defend him from sharper attacks, this causes him to lose his rubber properties, which was noted as he discharged electricity using Thor Elephant Gun.
His Gear Fourth relies heavily on Busoshoku Haki, which causes Luffy to attain black flame-like wispy markings (red in the anime) across his skin because of the compressed Haki. In Gear Fourth, unlike before, he maintains his rubber properties, while still being armored without losing either.
On Wano, during his time in Udon, he started learning advanced Busoshoku Haki from Hyogoro who refers to the Haki as Ryuo (Flowering Sakura) there. Although, he wanted to learn to emit his Haki without a medium, which is what he saw Rayleigh used; Luffy realized he could take it a step further, destroying his opponent from the inside out, after destroying their explosive collars. He mastered it after finishing his training with Hyogoro, being able to emit it from a distance, and break Yamato's handcuffs, strengthened his Busoshoku Haki to the point where he is capable of damaging Kaido.
East Blue Saga
Water 7 Saga
Thriller Bark Saga
Summit War Saga
During the Timeskip
Fishman Island Saga
- Despite being Captain of his crew, Luffy is constantly one of the group to always do the labor, not that he minds. Because of this, in addition to his childish behaviour and the fact that he often lets others of the crew lecture him, everyone becomes surprised to find out his role (despite the fact the jolly Roger is based on him).
- He is the first person seen to have eaten a Devil Fruit, as well as a Paramecia type Devil Fruit.
- Like many people, Luffy has a distinct laugh (shishishi).
- Luffy can be considered the parallel to Gol D. Roger in several ways:
- Both of them has a rather cheerful demeanor and desire for adventure.
- Both of them wore or wears a straw hat (Luffy's originally belonged to Roger) throughout their pirating career.
- Both leads a diverse crew who often has to deal with their childish antics.
- Both are capable of using all three kinds of Haki.
- Both their dreams and desires are similar to one another, which several pirates such as Shanks and Yamato noticed.
- Both their First Mates are swordsmen and Haoshoku Haki users who often fights, as well as being almost forced into joining their crew despite their initial refusal.
- At age 19, Luffy is the youngest of all 12 members from the Worst Generation.
- He, Sanji, and Usopp all claim to have never been sick, and thus do not know what it feels like.
- Luffy's participant number at the Corrida Colosseum (as Lucy) is 0556. That number can be explained with the first two digits taken from Luffy's birthday, May 5; and the latter two, 5-6, being pronounced go-mu which is related to Luffy's Devil Fruit.
- Luffy's participant number at the Corrida Colosseum also corresponds to the chapter where he first arrived at Marineford to rescue his brother, Portgas D. Ace, from his execution.
- Luffy ranks first place in every popularity poll.
- Luffy is very similar to Goku from Dragon Ball, being the main character, being very childish and naive, having messy black hair and eating too much food. These similarities are fitting since Oda was inspired by Dragon Ball while creating One Piece.
- Luffy's powers are quite similar in nature to that of DC Comics hero Elongated Man, mostly because they were both obtained after the consumption of a special fruit.
- His Japanese voice actress, Mayumi Tanaka, also voiced Kirby in Kirby franchise, Krillin and Yajirobe in Dragon Ball, Pazu in Laputa: Castle of the Sky, Giovanni in Night On The Galactic Railroad, Wataru Ikusabe in Mashin Eiyuden Wataru, Babe in Babe the Gallant Pig, Tony Toponi in An American Tail, Daniel Witwicky in The Transformers, Elroy Jetson in Jetsons: The Movie, and Louie in A Dinosaur's Story.
- His English voice actress, Colleen Clinkenbeard, also voiced Momo Yaoyorozu in My Hero Academia, Erza Scarlet and Erza Knightwalker in Fairy Tail, Akito Sohma in Fruits Basket, Moka Akashiya in Rosario + Vampire, Jinn in RWBY, Chisa Yukizome in Dangaronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy, Riza Hawkeye and Rosé Thomas in Fullmetal Alchemist, Yuuko Ichihara in xxxholic, Matsu in Sekirei, Marie Mjolnir in Soul Eater, Nice Holystone in Baccano!, Hana in Wolf Children: Ame and Yuki, Rin Asogi in RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne, Italy (child) Hetalia, Miranda Lotto in D.Gray-man, Margery Daw in Shakugan no Shana, Kirika Tachibana in Kaze no Stigma, Gohan (kid), Goku (kid), Goku (baby), Trunks (baby) Launch (nice) and Android 18 in Dragon Ball Z Kai, Charlotte Roselei in Black Clover, Future Mai and Mai (child) in Dragon Ball Super, Pipimi in Pop Team Epic, Eucliwood Hellscythe in Is this a Zombie?, Cassandra Pentaghast in Dragon Age, Ritsuko Kunihiro in Shiki, Makina in Deadman Wonderland, and Kisara Nanjō in Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple.
SBS Based Trivia
- Eiichiro Oda has stated that when drawing Luffy, he tries to make him very simple and straightforward about what he wants to be and how he feels, which is why out of all the main characters, Luffy has the least number of thought bubbles, since he acts and says what he wants to do rather than think it.
- When asked why Luffy doesn't kill his enemies, Oda explains that it is not a question of morality so much as a matter of punishing the villains for their crimes - he feels that killing the villains lets them off too easily, whereas he considers letting them live to see their dreams ruined a far more fitting punishment.
- Luffy's birthday, May 5, in Japan is known as 'Children's Day', a reference to his childish character. He shares his birthday with Demaro Black.
- A fan asked Oda if Luffy's penis could stretch, and Oda answered that it could.
- A fan asked Oda why he gave Luffy a rubber Devil Fruit, and Oda answered that he picked a ridiculous ability to allow him to fool around with Luffy for so long.
- Luffy's favorite food is meat. His least favorite food is the cherry pie from "a certain place" for unknown reasons.
- Luffy also likes ice cream, the same as Usopp, Chopper, Robin, and Brook.
- Luffy's favorite dish to cook is raw meat on a plate.
- Luffy's favorite type of island and season is anywhere where there's meat.
- Luffy's specific numbers are 01 and 56 (5=Go - 6=Mu).
- Luffy's specific color is red.
- Luffy smells like meat.
- If the Straw Hat Pirates were a family, then Luffy would be the fourth son.
- Luffy's animal resemblance is a monkey.
- If One Piece was set in the real world, then Luffy would be from Brazil.
- Luffy's thoughts are "Meat, Meat, Meat, Meat, Pirate King", and like the rest of the Straw Hat Pirates, "Friendship".
- When asked which flower Luffy resembles the most, Nico Robin's Japanese voice actress replied he most resembles a cosmos.
- When Oda was later asked about what flowers he thought best represented the members of the Worst Generation, he gave an alternate answer for Luffy: Sunflower.
- Luffy bathes once a week, the same as Zoro and Brook.
- Trafalgar D. Water Law calls Luffy according to his epithet, Straw Hat-ya.
- Luffy represents the prefecture of Okinawa.
- Luffy typically gets 5 hours of sleep.
- If the Straw Hat Pirates were not pirates, then Luffy would be a firefighter.
- Luffy's hobbies are adventures and banquets.
- If the Straw Hat Pirates had a 50-meter race, then Luffy would come in third place.
Devil Fruit Users
Amazon Lily/Kuja Tribe
Fist of the North Star
Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya
Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai
Yu Yu Hakusho
Boruto: Naruto Next Generation