|“||What good is treasure if I'm alone? After sharing so much of our dreams instead of sacrificing them and leaving with you. I would rather have nothing at all!||„|
Her bounty was 16,000,000 Berries after she defeated Kalifa and declared war against the world government. Her current bounty is 66,000,000 Berries after the events in Dressrosa. She along with Luffy, Chopper, Brook, Pedro and Carrot went to retrieve Sanji from his arranged wedding with Big Mom's daughter Charlotte Pudding (later revealed to be a trap to have Sanji and the Vinsmoke Family killed by Big Mom). After they retrieved Sanji and saved his family from Big Mom, she and the others escaped Totto land, and the crew and headed to Wano Country.
She is voiced by Wakana Yamazaki, Megumi Toyoguchi and Akemi Okamura in the Japanese version of the anime, and by Kerry Williams (4kids Dub), Cindy Creekmore, Chio Su-Ping, Luci Christian and Alison Lester (child) in the English version of the anime.
Nami was a war orphan from an unknown island in the East Blue Sea. As an infant she was found crying by another young girl name Nojiko. They were found by a young lady Marine named Bellemere. She adopted the two and took them back to her home village of Cocoyashi to work on a mikan orange farm. they didn't have much money, and Nami was frequently stealing books on map making, because her dream was to make a map of the world. Nami at times thought she as a burden to Bellemere, but the local constable, Genzo, told her how it was she and Nojiko that gave Bellemere the will to live as she was near death on the battlefield.
Their quiet life was shattered when the Arlong Pirates, a ruthless crew of all fish-men, invaded the island and held the people hostage. They demanded the people pay 100,000 Berry per adult and 50,000 per child or face death. Nami and Nojiko were being hidden by Dr. Nako, since Bellemere only had about the 100,000 for herself, and there was no official record of her having children. This would have meant Nami and her sister would have to be sent away. Neither of them wanted to leave, but Bellemere suddenly declared that she was paying for her girls and not herself. She could never deny being their mother. They both broke free and ran to their mother, Arlong took the payment, then shot Bellemere in front of Nami and Nojiko.
This was only the beginning of Nami's torment at the hands of Arlong. One of his crew, Hatchan, found Nami's map of the island, and they took her with them to make charts for them. Arlong also made a deal with Nami. He told her that if she kept making him maps and could get him 100,000,000 berry he would free her village. Nami was then tattooed with the mark of the Arlong Pirates. Nami returned to the village to tell them she had joined Arlong's crew for the money they gave her, but she later told her sister the truth at their mother's grave.
Nami spent the next ten years tormented by Arlong to make his charts, the villagers hated her, thinking she betrayed them; or stealing treasure from pirates. She was always in danger and alone. She would hide her booty in the mikan grove that Nojiko continued to run. In that ten years, Nami was nearing her goal, and she only needed one last big score to free her home.
Orange Town Arc
It was in Orange Town that Nami stole a map of the Grand Linefrom the infamous Buggy the Clown. She was being chased by his men when a young man came crashing down from the sky. She played it off as if he was her boss and ran away, but she saw he had defeated the pirates. The boy Luffy asked her to join his pirate crew as a navigator, but she refused due to her hatred of pirates. She tricked Luffy to turn him into Buggy as her boss, but had a change of heart as they tried to kill him with a canon. Luckily, they were both saved by the appearance of Luffy's crew mate Zoro.
The three escaped, and Nami got to understand Luffy better as she witnessed him defend a dog who was protecting the pet food store of it's deceased master. Nami tagged along as Luffy and Zoro went to fight Buggy to stop from from destroying the town. She wasn't there to fight but steal the treasure from Buggy. Nami still helped Luffy defeated the evil pirate by tying up his scattered body pieces so he couldn't put himself back together. As they left, Nami was shocked the Luffy had left the treasure behind so the villagers could rebuild.
Island of Rare Animals
The trio washed up on the Island of Rare Animals, and met a strange man trapped in an empty chest called Gaimon. He had been there after he was left by his crew when he was after a horde of treasure chests at the top of a hill he could no longer reached. Luffy went to get the treasure on top, but Nami was angry and confused when he refused to bring it down. It's because they were already empty and he didn't want to ruin Gaimon's dream.
Syrup Village Arc
The next stop was on the outskirts of Syrup Village. They met a long nosed young man named Usopp, and they stumbled into a grand conspiracy that led to a huge battle. Usopp was friends with Kaya, a rich girl of the village; and it turns out that her butler, Klahadore, was actually the deadly Captain Kuro, who was thought to of been captured and killed years ago. His crew was set to invade the island to kill Kaya and steal her fortune the next day.
Nami joined in the battle, but mostly as support. She helped Zoro defeat Siam and Butchie, then woke Luffy up by stepping on Luffy's head after he fell victim to Jango's hypnotism. Nami went to raid the Black Cat Pirates ship as Luffy fought Kuro, and she was shocked at how angry Luffy got at seeing Kuro even attacking his own crew. After he won and kicked the pirates off the island, Luffy collapsed into Nami's arms from exhaustion. As a thanks, Kaya gave them a ship called the Going Merry, and Usopp joined their crew.
Along with Nico Robin, Nami is one of the smartest of the Straw Hats and the third smartest character in the East Blue according to Oda, the first being Benn Beckman of the Red Hair Pirates and the 2nd being Captain Kuro.At the beginning of the series, Nami despised all pirates. She viewed them as nothing but bad people after losing someone close to her, only changing her mind after she met Luffy. Before her view changed on pirates, she was perfectly fine with giving Luffy up captive to Buggy, as she could not bring herself to stoop to their level. She also dismissed the Devil Fruits as myths until she saw Buggy's Bara Bara no Mi in action.
Nami's years of thievery have given her a sly and wily personality, as she isn't above taking advantage of or blackmailing her own crew mates. Despite these greedy personality traits, she is still very loyal to the crew, though they do get on her nerves from time to time.
Her dream is to draw a map of the world, which she was unable to realize until Luffy managed to free her and her island from the tyrannical rule of the Fish-man pirate Arlong. She owes a great deal to the others and especially Luffy for this, and is often the only member of the crew other than Zoro to personally confront or remind him of the deep, gut-wrenching choices that he must face.
Abilities and Powers
Being the assigned navigator of the Straw Hat Pirates, Nami is responsible for evaluating the direction that the ship goes as they sail further into the sea. Nami also tends to act as the crew's de facto treasurer.
Nami is also an exceptional navigator, able to read the weather with perfect accuracy then give instructions to pilot the ship through any storm, and is responsible for showing the way to the next island. Although Nami isn't strong like her crewmates, she uses a weapon called the Clima-Tact, later upgraded to the Perfect Clima-Tact and currently the Sorcery Clima-Tact to manipulate the weather on a small scale, giving her a great range of tricks and attacks. Her thievery skills are also quite useful from time to time: as the crew's priorities lie more on seeking adventure than actual piracy, she also takes on the role of ship's purser, ensuring that they have enough money to purchase food and supplies for their voyages.
Nami is also a superb cartographer, map maker. From a very young age she was able to draw accurate maps.
Through years of being a thief of pirates, Nami developed an uncanny skill for pick-pocketing. If within her arms reach, she can normally slip something out of someone's pocket without them noticing.
- Cowardness: One of Nami's greatest weakness is cowardness due to her being afraid of facing very dangerous enemies such as Admirals, Shichibukai (before their dismissal) and Yonko.
- Off-Guard: Due to not being an expert of hand-to-hand combat, Nami is more vulnerable of leaving her defenseless when being attacked or caught by her enemies such as Kalifa, Monet, Jora, Brulee, Galette, Amande, and Smoothie.
- Her second Japanese voice actress, Akemi Okamura, also voiced Hatsuharu Sohma (child) in Fruits Basket (2001), Bearmon in Digimon Frontier, Fio Piccolo in Porco Rosso, Bomber Girls Pretty Cure in Happiness Charge Pretty Cure!, Fievel Mousekewitz in An American Tail, Cindy Vortex in The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, Florinda Showers in Pokémon, and Foop in Futari Wa Pretty Cure Splash Star.
- Her second English voice actress, Chio Su-Ping, also voiced Tashigi, Nojiko, Young Coby, Apis, and Kaya in the same series.
- Her third English voice actress, Alison Lester, also voiced Renamon in Digimon Tamers.
- Her fourth English voice actress, Kerry Williams, also voiced Tiff in Kirby: Right Back At Ya!, Sakura and Casey in Pokémon, and Rebecca Hawkins in Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters, Flora and Amore in Winx Club, Towa (young) in Pokémon 4Ever.
- Her fifth English voice actress, Luci Christian, also voiced Mitsukuni Haninozuka in Ouran High School Host Club, Koyuki Azumaya in Sgt. Frog, Hiro Sohma in Fruits Basket (2019), Ochaco Uraraka in My Hero Academia, Kaname Chidori in Full Metal Panic!, Hestia in Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?, Satomi Murano in Parasyte, Enju Aihara in Black Bullet, KOS-MOS in Xenosaga, Trish in Devil May Cry anime, Eucliwood Hellscythe in Is this a Zombie?, Lenalee Lee in D.Gray-man, Minori in Log Horizon, Stella Vermillion in Chivalry of a Failed Knight, Meryl Stryfe in Trigun, Duck in Princess Tutu, Chifuyu Orimura in Infinite Stratos, Marika Kato in Miniskirt Pirates/Mouretsu Pirates, Makina Hoshimura in Corpse Princess, Nagisa Furukawa in Clannad, Erica Hartmann in Strike Witches, Amelia Wil Tesla Seyruun in Slayers Premium, 001 in DARLING in the FRANXX, Junko Hattori in Demon King Daimao, Hitomi Kashiwa in Welcome to the N.H.K., Sen Tokugawa in Samurai Girls, Kagura in Gintama: The Movie, Mizuki Segawa in Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor, Natsu Dragneel (young) in Fairy Tail, Riko Mine Lupin IV in Aria the Scarlet Ammo, Cruz Schild in Needless, Margaret Burton in Madlax, Hungary in Hetalia, Touko Nanami in Bloom Into You, Nonoha Itou in Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle, Neneko in Yumeria, Carmen Ibanez in Starship Troopers: Invasion, Chizuru Aizawa in Shinryaku! Ika Musume Sonya in Kill Me Baby, Miyako Miyamura in ef - a fairy tale of the two, Fria in RWBY, Lucia Nanami in Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch, Birdy Cephon Altera in Birdy The Mighty, Train Heartnet (young) in Black Cat, Akira Tachibana in After The Rain, Rico in Gunslinger Girl, Laito Sakamaki (young) in Diabolik Lovers, Cocona Cocomine in Flip Flappers.
Devil Fruit Users
Amazon Lily/Kuja Tribe