| This stub is making Kirby hungry with its lack of substance.|
This article or section is a stub. You can help the Heroes Wiki by expanding it!
What are you waiting for? GO!
|“||The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.||„|
|~ Nightcrawler praying after Jean Grey's sacrifice.|
|“||You know in the circus, most people were afraid of me. But I didn't hate them. I pitied them. Do you know why? Because most people will never know anything beyond what they see with their own two eyes.||„|
|~ Nightcrawler to Storm.|
Kurt Thomas Wagner, more commonly known as Nightcrawler is one of the main protagonists in X-Men 2, X-Men Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix. His abilities include teleportation and agility and reflexes. His tail can also be used as a weapon.
He was portrayed by Alan Cumming in X-Men 2 and by Kodi Smit-McPhee in X-Men Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix, who also played Norman Babcock in ParaNorman, Alexander in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and Keda in Alpha.
X2: X-Men United
Nightcrawler was controlled by Colonel William Stryker to assassinate the President. He stood undercover and watched as Alicia Vargas read a speech excerpt by Abraham Lincoln. He then raced through the White House with a combination of teleporting and running, attacking those he found on the way until he reached the Oval Office. There he jumped on the President and raised a dagger as if to stab him, but was shot by a guard - dropping the dagger and teleporting away. It fell next to the President and on it was written 'MUTANT FREEDOM NOW."
Following the abduction of several students from Xavier's School by Stryker's soldiers, Nightcrawler joins the X-Men in their rescue mission. After picking up Wolverine, Rogue, Iceman and Pyro, they are threatened by jet fighters. A missile tears through the X-Jet, and Rogue is sucked out before being rescued by Nightcrawler. Just before the X-Jet crashes, everyone is saved by Magneto.
Later in the evening, Jean Grey read his mind, discovering the location of Stryker's base. He aided the X-Men with their mission to find Professor X and the abducted students. Following Jean's apparent death, Nightcrawler prayed for no more evil hoping everything will be good. Later on, he appears with the X-Men for one last time when they travel to the White House.
Powers, Abilities & Weaknesses
- Teleportation: Nightcrawler has the power to teleport to any location at great distances.
- Wall-Crawling: Nightcrawler was able to cling to solid surfaces; such as walls, by using his hands and feet.
- Superhuman Agility: Nightcrawler was far more agile than normal humans and most other mutants.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Nightcrawler could effortlessly dodge automatic fire and decisively teleport before being shot at. His reflexes appear to be equal to Angel's and Archangel's. Whilst the time between disappearing and reappearing was almost one second, for Nightcrawler it feels like 6 seconds. This proves that 1 second was roughly 6 seconds long from Nightcrawler's perception.
- Superhuman Stamina: Nightcrawler's advanced musculature is considerably more efficient than that of normal humans. As a result, his muscles produce practically no fatigue toxins during physical activity compared to those of humans. His virtually inexhaustible stamina enables him to exert himself at peak capacity for an undefined period of time without tiring at all.
- Prehensile Tail: Nightcrawler can use his tail as a whip, simply by sending his opponents flying several feet away. His tail could also be used for more lethal applications, as seen when killed numerous D'Bari with just his tail.
- Master Combatant/Martial Artist: Nightcrawler was an extremely skilled hand-to-hand combat and martial arts. He single handily managed to defeat the president's secret service and was able to overcome Archangel twice in combat. Nightcrawler's combat skills combined with his teleportation powers and superhuman physical attributes makes him a formidable opponent alone in single combat.
- Camouflage: Due to Nightcrawler's dark blue skin and dark clothes, he could blend into the shadows or the night; making it extremely difficult, if not impossible for his opponents to see him.
- Teleportation Limitations: While Nightcrawler teleportation power is his greatest ability it had several limitations.
- Electric Field: If Kurt is caught in an electric field, such as an electrified chamber of any sort, it will hinder his teleportation and limit it to the volume of the space he is in. This is evident as he could not escape the electrified cage or enter the Weapon Plus prison.
- Sightlessness: Nightcrawler had to be able to see where he was going, otherwise he could end up in solid matters. Kurt must be able to visualize where he is teleporting, or he could end up in a dangerous position, such as inside a wall, though he managed to overcome this if he can visualize his destination in his mind, allowing him to teleport past an obstacle if he can imagine what is past it.
- Awareness/Long Distances: Nightcrawler had to be able to know where he was going, otherwise he could end up in solid matters. The further Kurt teleports, the greater the risk of injuring himself by re-appearing within a solid object or straining his body.
- Physical Contact: Nightcrawler could only teleport objects or other individuals with him; as long as he maintains physical contact with them.
- Telekinesis: Telekinesis, or namely Jean Grey's powerful telekinesis, can be used to keep him from teleporting, as well as to completely lock him in place.
Nightcrawler is a religiously devoted and gentle soul. He is obviously haunted by the experiments he suffered from Stryker and the actions he was forced to do, to the point where he scarred himself for every evil action he did, in the covet of the Archangel Gabriel. Nightcrawler has grown attached to his comrades, such as rescuing Rogue when she fell out of the X-Jet and he seems to have a close relationship with Storm above all others.
- The character was meant to appear in The Last Stand, but Alan Cumming didn't want to go through the make-up process again due to it being uncomfortable. He still planned on returning when Bryan Signer was attached, but left when Brett Ratner came to direct.
- The character's reasoning for not appearing in the film was explained in the video game, stating he didn't want to live a violent life.
- According to Bryan Signer, Nightcrawler, Rachel Summers, Psylocke, Deadpool, Gambit and Jubilee were meant to appear in Days of Future Past, but were cut out for running time purposes.