This Hero was proposed and approved by Heroes Wiki's Pure Good Proposals Thread. Any act of removing this hero from the category without a Removal Proposal shall be considered vandalism (or a "villainous" attempt to demonize said character) and the user will have high chances of being
|“||One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it...||„|
|~ Master Oogway|
|“||There are no accidents.||„|
|~ Oogway to Shifu about his decision of choosing Po as the Dragon Warrior.|
Master Oogway is a major character in Kung Fu Panda franchise. He was an elderly tortoise and the previous senior master of the Jade Palace. He is credited as the founder of the Valley of Peace, the creator of Kung Fu, and the developer of the Dragon Warrior legend. He is voiced by Randall Duk KIm.
Highly venerated for his wisdom, knowledge and experience, Oogway was considered by many to be a sage. He was greatly respected by Shifu, the Furious Five, Po, the entire Valley of Peace, and all of China. He was known as the greatest Kung Fu master in history, having no other reputation surpass his (other than the legend of the Dragon Warrior). He spent his life dedicated to preserving the art of Kung Fu as a force for good, and passed on this and many of his other teachings to his students. In the small remainder of his life, he had the chance to finally locate the Dragon Warrior before he ascended into the Heavens.
He is the secondary tritagonist of Kung Fu Panda, a supporting character in the specials, the posthumous character of Kung Fu Panda 3 and a recurring character in the rest of the series.
Not much is revealed about Oogway's past life. However, it is known that he made his departure from his home in the Galápagos Islands on a journey of discovery almost a thousand years ago, traveling all around the world and visiting every country until he arrived in China. Oogway stood on a hill overlooking the land that would later become known as the Valley of Peace and knew that he had found the place he would call home for the rest of his life. To commemorate the moment, Oogway planted the seed of his favorite tree on the hill, which would eventually grow into the Peach Tree of Heavenly Wisdom.
Though it is unknown exactly when, Oogway eventually admitted Shifu, who had departed from his family to commit himself entirely to the training and duties of Kung Fu at the Jade Palace. Through the red panda's hard work and determination, Shifu eventually elevated to the rank of Master. Oogway had accomplished many things after this—such include the creation and perfection of Kung Fu, the development of the Dragon Warrior legend and creation of the Dragon Scroll, the peace-sustaining in the Valley of Peace, and the assisting of others outside the valley.
In Art of Balance
When Shifu rose to the rank of Master in his youth, he quickly became overwhelmed by a mass of new responsibilities. Unable to cope with the stress, Shifu prepared to quit his Kung Fu life, but Oogway stopped him and taught him hing kung, which involved balancing on leaves. Through Oogway's teachings, Shifu learned to regain internal balance.
Powers & Skills
- Grandmaster Martial Artist: As the founder of Kung Fu, Oogway is effectively the greatest master of Kung Fu in history with a vast amount of experience that gave him unmatched knowledge of Kung Fu, mastering every form of Kung Fu and even techniques unknown to most other Kung Fu masters. Many of the students he personally taught became among the greatest masters of Kung Fu. Although he rarely fights, in the few times he fought, Oogway has proven himself to be at a different level even compared to other extremely powerful masters of Kung Fu: he effortlessly defeated Tai Lung with a single Nerve Attack whereas even Shifu and the Furious Five combined were not able to match Tai Lung, he defeated Kai, an extremely powerful warlord and also exceptionally skilled martial artist, whereas all other Kung Fu masters who fought him were no match, and though he lost to him in their rematch, Oogway openly admitted he had held back to allow Kai to defeat him, wanting Po to do it instead so Po could become his true successor and had managed to compete with him before surrendering to Kai.
- Grandmaster Staff-Fighter: Oogway was extremely skilled in using his staff in battle, having broke Kai's spear with it when he defeated him and swiftly struck Tai Lung.
- Genius-Level Intelligence: Due to his advanced longevity, he was extraordinarily wise and intelligent, perhaps the greatest currently known in the entire series, deeply admired by all, even Shifu, for his wisdom and intelligence. Oogway has proven himself to be an extraordinary orator and strategist with vast perception: he had anticipated that Fenghuang had evil intentions to replace him and created a cage to trap her, which effectively kept her from trying to take him on until he died, he turned the cocky street fighters, like Ox, Croc & Rhino into "warriors who fight for honor", he correctly saw that with all of Tai Lung's prodigious Kung Fu skills, his ambition paved way to darkness in his heart, and he easily motivated Po to fulfill his destiny as the Kung Fu master he was meant to be. Oogway's vast lifespan also gave him tremendous knowledge, as he knew of a method to return from the Spirit Realm.
- Tortoise Physiology: His natural physiology has a shell, which makes him heavily armored & almost immune to most forms of physical trauma. He was able to survive an injury for a few days before being "healed" by a Village of Medicinal Pandas. His natural physiology also ages at a very slowed rate, allowing him the longevity that is beyond any beings imagining. Due to immense training his natural physiology is far stronger, faster & more agile than normal members of his species.
- Chi-Based Powers: Oogway is extremely skilled in using Chi, having learned to manipulate it from the Pandas themselves. He is capable of using Chi for levitation, physical enhancements, and blasts of energy. His mastery of Chi is so strong he was able to defeat Kai in battle after he had taken the Chi of several Panda and banish him to the Spirit Realm and though he lost to Kai in their rematch as Kai had become a Spirit Warrior and more powerful, he indicated he had the capability to defeat him but just decided against it.
- Dream Manipulation: Oogway has displayed the ability to converse with others through visions while they are in a dormant state such as meditation, sleep or an unconscious episode.
- Foresight: Oogway could foresee future events with flawless accuracy, as seen in his prediction of the return of Tai Lung, who has been in prison. Oogway had shared this particular vision with his student Shifu, and merely watched as Shifu tried to prevent it by dispatching Zeng to warn the guards at Chorh-Gom Prison, saying to himself, "One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." Nevertheless, the wise master let fate play out its cards, and sure enough, it was revealed that one of Zeng's feathers became the "key" that helped Tai Lung escape.
|“||Your mind is like this water my friend. When it is agitated, it becomes difficult to see, but if you allow it to settle. The answer becomes clear.
(Shifu: The Dragon Scroll?)
It is time.
(Shifu: But who? Who is worthy to be trusted with the secret to limitless power? To become the Dragon Warrior?)
… I don't know!
|~ Oogway and Shifu.|
|“||Quit, don't quit. Noodles, don't noodles. You are too concerned with what was, and what will be. There's a saying; yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called present.||„|
|~ Oogway consoling Po.|
|“||You must believe.||„|
|~ Oogway's last words to Shifu before he ascends|
|“||You've grown stronger!
(Kai: 500 years in the Spirit Realm, you pick up a thing or two. I have taken the Chi of every master here!)
(Kai: Yes. And soon I will have your power, too.)
When will you realize? The more you take, the less you have...
|~ Oogway facing Kai in the spirit realm.|