|“||The world has changed, and none of us can go back. All we can do is our best. And sometimes... the best that we can do is to start over.||„|
|~ Peggy to Steve.|
Margaret "Peggy" Carter is a major character in the MCU and the deuteragonist of the Marvel film Captain America: The First Avenger. After the events of the film, she becomes the titular protagonist in the TV series Agent Carter. She is the first girlfriend of Steve Rogers. She is also one of the founding members of S.H.I.E.L.D., and had served as a soldier during World War II against HYDRA. In The Winter Soldier, she is an old woman who appeared to be suffering from Alzheimer's disease. She eventually passed away in Civil War.
She is portrayed by Hayley Atwell.
Carter is tough and resilient, standing strong whenever she is mistreated, be it by man or woman. She has a sarcastic streak, and can also become close to a select few people, such as Steve Rogers, Howard Stark, Edwin Jarvis, and a few others. Though she believes in morality, she will lie, if the situation calls for it, including the period when she was hiding her involvement with Howard Stark from the SSR.
A loyal soldier, Carter will do whatever is needed to get the job done, very nearly having Howard Stark shot out of the sky, when he was endangering the city of New York. Such sacrifices wound her; she does not enjoy it. Being somewhat no-nonsense, Carter does not take kindly to messing about during a mission or when there is work to be done. She is also quite clever, always able to work her way out of a pinch at a moment's notice. Though her number of dear friends is slim, she is exceedingly appreciative to those she has.
|“||I conducted my own investigation because no one listens to me. I got away with it because no one looks at me.||„|
|~ Peggy Carter in Snafu|
- Master Spy: Carter was able to infiltrate Castle Kaufmann and free Abraham Erskine with her disguise as "Eva". Likewise, she was able to flawlessly mimic other accents. She knew how to manipulate the sexist stereotypes of her time to her advantage by bringing coffee to a meeting in order to spy on it and seducing a man to gain information. She also spent time at Bletchley Park during the early years of World War II, learning code breaking skills.
- Master Investigator: Carter was able to solve the Leviathan case very efficiently, including deducing that the person who manipulated Stark would be one of the women he had been with, and that that woman would likely have scars on her wrists from years of handcuffing herself to a bedpost. In a lot of cases Carter was able to connect evidence or spot things that her colleagues missed.
- Expert Martial Artist: Carter was a highly skilled martial artist. Carter used her fighting skills to defeat Sasha Demidov before he could kill her. She was able to defeat several highly skilled agents with little effort. Despite initially being overwhelmed, Carter managed to defeat Dottie Underwood, a highly trained Red Room assassin. Carter was also able to silently subdue the guards of the Zodiac. Carter uses a direct and highly versatile fighting style; she is adept at constantly using her surroundings to her advantage. Carter is able to quickly use the weapons or clothing of her opponents against them. Highly opportunistic and able to improvise quickly, Carter could use nearly every item available to her as an improvised weapon.
- Expert Marksman: During the assassination of Abraham Erskine, Carter was able to kill the driver of Heinz Kruger, as he drove towards her, without fear of being hit. She chided Rogers for interrupting her shot when she aimed for Kruger. While trying to obtain Zodiac, Carter shot at a steel door multiple times hitting the same spot to create a hole large enough for the gas grenade she had planned to drop.
|“||Do as Peggy says!||„|
|~ Daniel Sousa and Jack Thompson, simultaneously in A Little Song and Dance|
- Expert Tactician: Though they were all seasoned war veterans, the Howling Commandos took instruction from Carter on how to infiltrate the Red Room Academy, following her leadership on how to divide the men and what to do in a given situation. Though both leaders of their respective branches of the SSR, Thompson and Sousa referred to Carter's plan to fight Whitney Frost.
- Scientist: Carter had knowledge of chemistry, knowing how to use simple household items to create a compound necessary to defuse a bomb.
- Thief: Carter was able to pickpocket an access card from an employee of Isodyne Energy with ease; however, she was not successful in using her Brooch Key to access Daniel Sousa's desk because he was too close to her.
- Multilingualism: Carter could speak and read English, Russian and German fluently.
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Pin: At the formation of S.H.I.E.L.D., pins with the symbol of the agency were given to every agent, including Carter.
- Bulletproof Vest
- Grappling Hook Gun: Carter used this to escape with Abraham Erskine from Castle Kaufmann.
- Stun Light Device
|Appearances for Peggy Carter|
In chronological order:
- In the comics, Peggy Carter was a freedom fighter with the French Resistance during World War II, and her relationship with Gabe Jones was one of the first inter-racial relationships in comics.
- According to S.H.I.E.L.D. files, Peggy joined the Special Air Service (SAS) in 1936. In reality, SAS wasn't formed before July 1941.
- At the end of Captain America: The First Avenger when Nick Fury first encounters the bewildered Steve Rogers, Steve mentions that he is 70 years late for a date that he planned with Peggy.
- In The Avengers, Peggy appears in short flashbacks conceived by Steve Rogers when he was using a punching bag in the gym.
- Peggy and Dottie Underwood shared the first same-sex kiss in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- When Carter drinks alcohol, she prefers whiskey.
- Peggy has two bullethole scars on her right shoulder.
- In the comics, Peggy shares many physical and biographical similarities with Cynthia Glass, such as being a friend and love interest to Steven Rogers both before and after his transformation, and being considered his first love.
- However, Cynthia was a Nazi spy who sacrificed her life to save Steve from the Red Skull. Peggy was decidedly more patriotic.
Behind the Scenes
- There was a scene intended for The Avengers where Steve reunites with an old "Peggy Carter", but this was never released into the theatrical cut and was never even filmed. They partially reintegrated the scene in Captain America: The First Avenger. However, there is a deleted scene in The Avengers where Steve finds files about the deceased Howling Commandos and Peggy Carter. Her address and telephone number are on the file, but Steve decides to not make a call.
- Peggy's S.H.I.E.L.D. file in the deleted scene from The Avengers lists her current address as "57-J Merryweather, Winchester, U.K.". However, in Captain America: The Winter Soldier she is shown to be living in a retirement home in Washington, D.C..
- Peggy Carter is the most frequently recurring character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, having been featured in five movies (Captain America: The First Avenger, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man and Captain America: Civil War), an one-shot and two TV series (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Agent Carter).
- Emily Blunt was offered the role, but she turned it down.