|“||I call them found things.||„|
|“||That's my sister.||„|
|~ Tinker Bell to her friends|
Periwinkle, also known as Peri, is one if the two main protagonists (alongside Tinker Bell) in Secret of the Wings and a minor character in The Pirate Fairy.
She is frost-talent fairy from the Winter Woods who is the fraternal twin sister of Tinker Bell.
She was voiced by Lucy Hale. In the Japanese dub from the movie, she was voiced by Hiro Nakajima, who also voiced Jake in Jake and the Never Land Pirates.
Periwinkle is a winter fairy who lives in Winder Wood and is very affectionate, bubbly, sweet and quite adventurous (mature).
She is very positive and often cheerful, she tries to see the positive side at all times. Like her sister Tinker Bell she likes to hang out with friends and have fun with them (such as snowball fights, sledding, skating with Gliss, Spike and Sled), and like Tink she likes to find "lost items" in Never Land and she prefers to call them "found items".
The only difference between Tink and Peri and that Peri is not touchy, arrogant and impatient like Tink, she is more calm, serene and peaceful.
She is also drawn to the Warm Woods, as Tink went to Winder Wood to discover the secret of the wings. This shows that she is curious and attracted just like Tink.
When a baby laughs for the first time, a brand new fairy is born. Unlike other fairies, however, Peri and Tink were born from the same first laugh, making them fraternal twin sisters. They share many aspects when it comes to likes, personality traits, characteristics, and appearance. However, the most striking connection is their fairy wings, as they have the same wing-shaped pattern, which is unheard of because fairy wing patterns are supposed to be distinctive and unique. As far as personality goes, Periwinkle is very bubbly and rather adventurous (in a mature way). She is often on the cheerful side and is always open to new ideas and innovations. Like Tink, she collects discarded items found in Never Land called "lost things," as Tink calls them. Peri, however, prefers to call them "found things."
Like every fairy, Peri is forbidden from ever crossing the border to the other seasons of Pixie Hollow, as it is said to be dangerous for a winter fairy because of the warm weather. Even so, Peri grew a fascination of the world beyond her own and dreamed of visiting it. When she meets Tinker Bell, the bond between the two fairies causes them to think of ways to cross the border. When they do, however, it causes danger.
Secret of the Wings
Periwinkle and Tinker Bell then learn and realize that they are twin sisters and are immediately ecstatic to meet each other. Just as they are getting introduced, Lord Milori, the ruler of the Winter Woods, arrives to speak with Dewey. Milori explains that he found a book from the warmer regions of Pixie Hollow and fears that a warm fairy is in the Winter Woods. Tinker Bell and Periwinkle come out of hiding and are heartbroken to hear this. However, Dewey explains that Milori never said when thus allowing Tink to stay for the remainder of the day.
Periwinkle takes Tink on a tour of the Woods, showing her the last things that she found, some of her favorite activities, and shows just what frost fairies have the power to do. Periwinkle also introduces Tink to her best friends, Spike and Gliss.
Tinker Bell visits Periwinkle's house where she sits by a campfire while She and Periwinkle talk about what they have in common, which turns out to be a lot. Periwinkle and Tinker Bell then look out into Pixie Hollow on the edge of the mountain Peri's house lies on.
Periwinkle takes the time to speak about her dreams of seeing the warm regions of Pixie Hollow. Tinker Bell then thinks she might be able to make that possible, but before she can design the plan, the edge of the mountain breaks, sending Tink plummeting as her coat covers her wings, thus preventing her from flying. Luckily, Dewey's pet lynx, Fiona, catches the fairies. It is in that moment that Dewey realizes it's too dangerous for the fairies to cross the border and escorts Tinker Bell back. Perwinkle and Tink seemingly have a goodbye moment, but Tink whispers a plan to Periwinkle, as Dewey is too heartbroken to watch the fairies say goodbye.
Tinker Bell and Periwinkle meet at the border where Tink's friends (Clank and Bobble )show Periwinkle their newest invention: a snowmaker. The device allows Periwinkle to journey through the warm regions of Pixie Hollow while keeping cool at the same time. With the machine an apparent success, Tink takes Periwinkle on a tour through Pixie Hollow. Tinker Bell introduces Periwinkle to her friends as they show her what powers they can possess. Tink's garden fairy friend Rosetta gives Peri a periwinkle flower as a gift. Periwinkle frosts the gift to preserve it in the climate of the Winter Woods. Periwinkle's wings then started beginning to shrivel because of the heat. Tinker Bell and her friend Vidia lifted Periwinkle back to the border, where they are then encountered by Lord Milori, (who was alerted to what Periwinkle had done by his snowy owl.
Periwinkle's wings are then recovered within minutes of returning into the Winter Woods. Milori then tells Tink and her friends that this is why fairy don't cross the border and declares that Periwinkle and Tinker Bell are forbidden to see each other again. Queen Clarion arrives after hearing about the event and agrees with Milori's demands, where she also reveals that it was she who created the law. Feeling Heartbroken, Peri heads over to Dewey's library where she repeatedly watches the story of her and Tinker Bell's origins. Lord Milori then arrives to explain to Peri why she and Tinker Bell cannot interact: When Pixie Hollow was very young, a fairy from the warmer regions and a fairy from the Winter Woods fell in love. They met at the border every day as their love grew stronger. Eventually, they decided to cross.
The snowmaker begins to freeze the warm regions of Pixie Hollow. Tinker Bell and her friends are able to destroy it, with The seasons being thrown off and every inch of Pixie Hollow would soon be frozen, including the Pixie Dust Tree. After a while, all fairy wings would be frozen and break apart, never allowing a fairy to fly again. Tinker Bell realizes that the periwinkle her sister preserved was still alive after the frost melted.
That gives Tinker Bell the idea to have Periwinkle, Spike and Gliss preserve the Pixie Dust Tree before it gets destroyed. Periwinkle and her friends, then started to help by doing so, but the Pixie Dust Tree becomes far too large to cover by themselves. However, Lord Milori arrives with dozens of frost fairies. Milori sends some fairies to preserve other parts of Pixie Hollow, while he and the rest of the frost talents preserve the Pixie Dust Tree. After a while, the Pixie Dust Tree is saved, but Tinker Bell's wings appear to be broken due to crossing into the Winter Woods. When Periwinkle and Tink's twin fairy wings connect, Tink's wing magically repairs itself. Lord Milori and Queen Clarion reveal that they were the two fairies that felt strongly in love, and crossed the border, and that Milori was the one who had broken his wing all those years ago by sharing a romantic kiss.
They apologize to Tinker Bell and Periwinkle for keeping both of them separated, allowing them to see each other again without no restrictions. Some time afterward, warm fairies are finally allowed to cross, as long as the frost fairies preserve the delicate fairy wings of the fairies that cross. Periwinkle, Tink, along with their friends, started celebrating as the two worlds, Pixie Hollow and the Winter Woods are no longer separated, and are finally united as one.
The Pirate Fairy
Periwinkle makes a cameo where she is seen ice-skating with her fellow winter fairies during the Four Seasons Festival. She is one of the only people to not switch talents, especially as she does not go on the journey to retrieve the blue pixie dust from Zarina, due to the fact that she fell asleep from the poppies' soporific pollen. When she awakes, Periwinkle happily congratulates her sister, Tinker Bell, and the others for their gorgeous seasonal finale; especially Zarina and her unusually strong, unique abilities over fairy dust alchemy.
- Periwinkle's hairstyle was designed by hairstylist Ken Paves and was inspired by the icicle known as a "frost flower".
- Periwinkle's overall design (hair specifically) was meant to be very distinct, to give her an iconic look like her sister.
- In the scene in which Tinker Bell and Periwinkle list off things they have in common with markings on an ice wall, if one were to count all the markings, it would show the sisters have 120 things in common with each other.
- Despite her control and manipulation over wintry-based elements like frost, sleet, hail, permafrost, snow and ice, her name, "Periwinkle", is a summer color.
- Periwinkle was born approximately six seconds after Tinker Bell. It is easy to tell which is which by observing their neck and Tinker Bell's position: Tinker Bell in the first movie, and in the scene where Tinker Bell and Periwinkle watch how they came to be, did not wear a collar, and her position is to the left, which is the direction Queen Clarion is shown to be entering after her birth. Periwinkle is shown to be wearing a collar, and her position is to the right.
- As twin sisters, Peri and Tinker Bell have attributes of the two known types of viable twins. Their appearances are typical of fraternal twins, however, their mode of birth is the kind that produces identical twins where one totipotent unit, (in this case, a laugh) with the potential of becoming one organism, splits in two and become two.
- In all of the teaser pixie previews for Secret of The Wings, Periwinkle is not shown amongst her friends or with Tinker Bell, despite the fact that a great deal of time in the actual movie is spent with Periwinkle interacting with them.
- Compared to few of her winter fairy friends, her skin appears less pale. She also appears to be the slimmest amongst her group.
- Periwinkle's nickname "Peri" means "fairy" in Indonesian.
- Periwinkle shares many similar traits with Elsa from Frozen:
- Both have blue eyes and very fair hair - Peri's is white and Elsa's is platinum blonde.
- Both have a small lock of hair down their forehead.
- Both possess unusually strong powers over ice and snow, frost and sleet, hail and cold.
- Both have icy-blue motifs.
- Both have a dear sister (Tinker Bell/Anna) whom they love and care about very, very much.
- Their sisters are the protagonists of both movies respectively.
- Both enjoy playing in the snow with their sister but are forced into separation as their sisters may be vulnerable to the cold.
- Both also appear to be unaffected by the cold. Peri's outfit has no sleeves, and she is almost always surrounded by ice and snow. Elsa, during "Let It Go", sings that "the cold never bothered her."
- In the end, both reunite with their beloved sister to save their home kingdom (Pixie Hollow/Arendelle) from a ravaging snowstorm/blizzard.
- She is also similar to Olaf:
- Both have curious, playful personalities.
- Both long to see the warm seasons, despite having no heat experience.
- When they do get to see the warm seasons, they are kept cool by personal flurries of snow.
- In Tinker Bell, frost fairies show up at Tink's arrival. It is unknown how they can go to the warm seasons without damaging their wings. The most plausible explanation for this may be that these fairies are somehow used to warm temperatures. Periwinkle, on the other hand, has never gotten used to warmth, and this is what caused her wings to wilt.
- Tinker Bell, Clank and Bobble also fly through the Winter Woods to get to Tinker's Nook.
Tinker Bell | Silvermist | Fawn | Iridessa | Rosetta | Vidia | Queen Clarion | Terence | Bobble and Clank | Fairy Mary | Blaze | Cheese | Fairy Gary | Lizzy | Dr. Griffiths | Periwinkle | Gliss | Spike | Lord Milori | Dewey | Sled | Zarina | Tick-Tock the Crocodile | Gruff | Marina | Chloe | Fern | Wendy