Preston Tien is the Blue Ninja Steel Ranger from Power Rangers Ninja Steel.
Preston was born to billionaire businessman Marcus Tien and Ellen Tien on January 3 as seen in "The Ranger Ribbon". Preston was very young when he lost his mother to unknown causes.
Preston is kind-hearted and loyal to his friends. He comes from a wealthy family and is obsessed with magic, and loves to entertain others with magic tricks (much like DC Comics' Zatanna). He is also fascinated with mythological creatures, especially dragons.
- Preston is portrayed by Peter Sudarso, the younger brother of Yoshi Sudarso, who played Koda in the previous series.
- Both Asian actors are also Blue Rangers in consecutive seasons.
- Coincidentally, his brother made a cameo appearance in an Shinobi 34: Enter Jiraiya, Legendary World Ninja! of Ninja Steel's source Shuriken Sentai Ninninger, portraying a bystander who was rescued by Yakumo Katou.
- However, this episode involved a crossover with Jiraiya, a Metal Hero that was to the US as a one-shot character called Space Sheriff Skyfire.
- Preston is the second Blue Ranger in a Ninja-themed season to have a standard blue color. The first was Billy Cranston from Season 3 of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
- The surname "Tien" is of Chinese and Vietnamese origin. Preston's actor (Peter Sudarso) is Indonesian-American of Chinese origin.
- Preston is the second Blue Ranger who is the "stealth" of the team, following Theo Martin from Power Rangers Jungle Fury.
- He is the first Ranger to gain a super power since Operation Overdrive.
- Theo's powers come from his training and not given to him by an outside force (injection, arsenal, Mutation).
- In "The Ranger Ribbon", it's revealed Preston's birthday is January 3.
- Unlike his Sentai counterpart, he doesn't get his magical powers from education.
- Preston is playable in Power Rangers Legacy Wars.
- Preston's roll call may have been a reference to his actor Peter Sudarso hiding his role as the Blue Ninja Steel ranger from his brother, Yoshi Sudarso until it was revealed at Power Morphicon.
- Because of his love of Super Sentai, Peter Sudarso has slipped several references to the counterpart franchise in his character's actions.