Preston Tien is the Blue Ninja Steel Ranger from Power Rangers Ninja Steel.
Preston was born to Marcus Tien and Ellen Tien on January 3rd as seen in "The Ranger Ribbon". Preston was very young when he lost his mother to unknown causes.
Preston is kind-hearted and loyal to his friends. He comes from a wealthy family and is obsessed with magic, and loves to entertain others with magic tricks (much like DC Comics' Zatanna). He is also fascinated with mythological creatures, especially dragons.
- Preston is portrayed by Peter Sudarso. Peter Sudarso is the younger brother of Yoshi Sudarso who played Koda in the previous season.
- Both Asian actors are also Blue Rangers in consecutive seasons.
- Coincidentally, his brother made a cameo appearance in an Shinobi 34: Enter Jiraiya, Legendary World Ninja! of Ninja Steel's source Shuriken Sentai Ninninger, portraying a bystander who was rescued by Yakumo Katou.
- However, this episode involved a crossover with Jiraiya, a Metal Hero that was never brought over to the US.
- Preston is the second Blue Ranger in a Ninja-themed season to have a standard blue color. The first was Billy from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (Season 3).
- The surname "Tien" is of Chinese and Vietnamese origin. Preston's actor (Peter Sudarso) is Indonesian-American of Chinese origin.
- Preston is the second Blue Ranger who is the "stealth" of the team, following Theo Martin from Power Rangers Jungle Fury.
- He is the first Ranger to gain a super power since Operation Overdrive.
- Theo's powers come from his training and not given to him by an outside force (injection, arsenal, Mutation).
- In "The Ranger Ribbon", it is revealed Preston's birthday is January 3rd.
- Unlike his Sentai counterpart, he does not get his magical powers from education.
- Preston is playable in Power Rangers Legacy Wars.
- Preston's roll call may have been a reference to his actor Peter Sudarso hiding his role as the Blue Ninja Steel ranger from his brother, Yoshi Sudarso until it was revealed at Power Morphicon.
- Because of his love of Super Sentai, Peter Sudarso has slipped several references to the counterpart franchise in his character's actions.