|“||Millions of souls were being consumed every second. There was no other way.||„|
Elizabeth "Betsy" Braddock is a superheroine who first appeared in a Marvel comic in 1976.
She is one of the children of Sir James Braddock, a champion of the Otherworld, Another Dimension. As her twin brother, Brian, became the superhero Captain Britain, Betsy developed telepathic powers. She was his ally during several adventures and even replaced him as Captain Britain for a time. She eventually joined the ranks of the X-Men under the nickname Psylocke.
Betsy is a pilot, secret agent, supermodel, and twin sister of Captain Britain. She developed psychic powers and spent some years as a supporting character in her brother's book, then had a brief but disastrous go at filling in for him and was blinded by his nemesis. After that she tried to quit superheroing but was kidnapped by Mojo and rescued by the New Mutants.
She was initially a character with mediocre fighting skills but excellent telepathy. She was later kidnapped in China and turned into a McNinja, getting magically body-merged with the mutant assassin Kwannon (resulting in the assassin looking like Psylocke, and Psylocke looking Asian but with her face still recognizable) and picking up super martial arts skills. She even got a psychic knife, which after she switched her powers from telepathy to telekinesis turned into a telekinetic katana.
In the aftermath of Hunt for Wolverine: Mystery in Madripoor, Betsy regained her original British body after causing the psychic vampire Sapphire Styx to explode using the power of her victims' souls, which also brought Kwannon back to life.
Psylocke has been classified as a master martial artist, though the specific fighting arts she has mastered have never been revealed. Presumably, as a ninja, she is skilled in various Ninjutsu techniques such as Taijutsu and Ninjaken. Even though she is known as a ninja and worked for The Hand as one, her fighting skills and techniques far surpass those of the average Hand ninja or Crimson Dawn Undercloak. Her skills have been said to rival those of a ninja master.
As a telepath, Psylocke used to take advantage of her powers in a fight by reading her opponents' movements seconds before they made them, giving her the opportunity to counter-attack faster, and she could also use her telepathy to mask her presence from other people, humans and super-humans alike. She also used to create telepathic illusions to distract her enemies while fighting them and as a ninja, she used her psychic knife to incapacitate her opponents without killing them, though she has less inhibitions about doing so and will if necessary.
As a telekinetic, she often used her powers to augment her strength, durability, agility, and speed, which made her fighting skills so strong that she was able to match and even outmatch other superhumanly strong opponents like a holographic version of Sabretooth in the Danger Room. Psylocke was also able to match Rogue’s attacks during a training session, despite the fact that Rogue had greatly enhanced speed and strength at the time.
Height: 180 cm (5'11")
Weight: 70 kg (155 lb.)
Eyes: Purple (Blue – natural)
Hair: Dark Violet (Blonde – natural)
Place of Birth: Braddock Manor, England, United Kingdom
- In her original body, Betsy Braddock was a natural blonde.
- In New Mutants Volume 1 Annual 2, Betsy makes her first appearance in American comics.
- Betsy still has the knowledge of Kwannon's body.
- Psylocke and Cypher were mutually attracted to each other, but nothing ever came of it. Probably due to the major age gap, which is illegal.
- When Psylocke was in Kwannon's body she was attracted to Cyclops, and mentally manipulated him to be attracted to her, but nothing ever came of it. She later admitted to Jean that this was due to the presence of Kwannon's lingering personality traits in her mind, but that she did in fact find Cyclops attractive.
- Psylocke was involved in a long term relationship with Angel, but they broke up when they realized they were too different.
- Psylocke was involved in a relationship with Thunderbird up until her death.
- Psylocke and Beast flirted with one another in X-Treme X-Men Vol 1. It was revealed in the same comic that Dr. McCoy had a crush on Betsy when she was a supermodel.
- Though Psylocke's earlier costumes were considered to be basically modest, she has been known lately for her unusually revealing costumes; a habit she shares with Emma Frost.
- In film X-Men Apocalypse, played by Olivia Munn.
- As Betsy and Kwannon had merged mind, powers and body, Pyslocke's body has the appearance of a curvy partial-Asian mostly-Caucasian woman.