The R-90 Ragnarok is the main protagonist of the 1993 Shoot 'Em Up video game R-Type III: The Third Lightning. It is first R-Craft to be capable of using more than one Force (with the newest additions of the Shadow and Cyclone Forces respectively), thus giving it a wider range of weapons and making it one of the most powerful R-Crafts ever created.
Following the Space Corps' previous successes against the Bydo Empire, the Corps continued to further improve upon its R-Crafts in the hope that they can destroy the Bydos once and for all. Using previous technologies from predecessor crafts, the R-90 Ragnarok was eventually created with newer, more versatile abilities and mechanics that no previous crafts had ever incorporated, such as a more powerful Wave Cannon and the ability to use newer Force devices that the Corps had recently released.
When the Bydo Empire returned for a third time, the R-90 Ragnarok was placed into service, where it tracked down a newly formed Bydo Core located in a hidden Bydo mother ship in the Solar System. The R-90 Ragnarok located and destroyed the core, once again defeating the Bydo Empire.
Afterwards the R-90 Ragnarok remained in service as the Space Corps continued to incorporate its technology into newer crafts when the Bydo Empire returned once more.
Unlike its predecessors such as the R-9A Arrowhead and the R-9C War-Head which had limited weaponry, the R-90 Ragnarok boasted the largest assortment of weapons to incorporate in battle for a number of situations. However, some of them are unique to certain Forces and can not be used by the others.
- Vulcan Cannon - a standard, rapid-fire capable cannon that can eliminate most small Bydos easily.
- Standard Wave Cannon - a powerful charging cannon that is capable of decimating multiple Bydos in its path, as well as being capable of dealing massive damage to larger enemies and bosses.
- Mega Wave Cannon - one of the two more powerful versions of the Standard Wave Cannon, which allows the R-90 Ragnarok to charge further, resulting in a larger shot which deals even more damage than its standard counterpart, but cancels out the charge of the Standard Wave Cannon in the process.
- Hyper Wave Cannon - the second of the more powerful versions of the Standard Wave Cannon, it allows the R-90 Ragnarok to fire Standard Wave Cannons at a rate equal to the Vulcan Cannon, but requires a cool down period after usage, leaving the Ragnarok unable to use the Wave Cannon until the cool down period ends.
- Standard Force/Round Force - one of the three available Forces available to use with the R-90 Ragnarok, it is a powerful mechanic consisting of a Bydo embryo restricted within four control rods, the force can be "thrown" by the R-90 Ragnarok, allowing it to deal contact damage. While separated from the craft, the force will fire independently, increasing for every Laser crystal the Ragnarok obtains until it has reached full power. When connected to the Ragnarok, it allows the craft to fire a powerful laser. Depending on the color of the crystal the Ragnarok obtains, the weapon will be one of the following:
- Air-to-Air Laser (Red) - fires a powerful, penetrating laser consisting of one red and blue unit, at full power, the two lasers will begin to intertwined, allowing them to cover a wider area.
- Reflective Laser (Blue) - fires three penetrating beam-type lasers, with the top and bottom lasers traveling in a 45 degree angle. The lasers are noted for their ability to bounce off walls, at full power, the lasers become longer.
- Air-to-Ground Laser (Yellow) - fires two powerful beams that travel upwards and downwards respectively before hitting a surface, which upon contact, will begin to travel across the ground, destroying anything within its path. At full power, the lasers will become longer.
- Shadow Force - the second of three available Forces, it differs from the Standard Force by the fact it can create Shadow Units, which fire a Vulcan shot in the direction opposite of where the Ragnarok flies. The Units will eventually align alongside the Force and begin to fire straightforward once so. The Force can be returned to the Ragnarok at a faster speed than the Standard Force. Depending on the color of the Laser crystal the Ragnarok obtains, the weapon will be one of the following:
- Reverse Laser (Red) - fires laser bolts forward and backwards, and is capable of changing directions if placed above or below the Ragnarok, making it a very useful Laser option in combat.
- All Range Laser (Blue) - The Force fires green beams from the top and bottom, with additional Shadow Units, they will fire additional beams.
- Guide Laser (Yellow) - fires four beams: two traveling forward, and one traveling up and down respectfully.
- Cyclone Force - the third Force available, unlike the aforementioned Forces, the Cyclone Force does not provide any firepower and is only able to do contact damage, however it makes up for this weakness by being able to create a vortex using cyclone bits when upgraded, increasing the size of the contact range of the Force, damaging any Bydo force that comes in contact with the vortex. Depending on the color of the Laser crystal the Ragnarok obtains, the weapon will be one of the following:
- Through Laser (Red) - fires a wide, arrow shaped bolt that penetrates most enemies and walls. At full power, the bolt is larger than the R-90 Ragnarok itself.
- Splash Laser (Blue) - fires three beams above and below the Force, as well as one traveling forwards. The beams will then create a "scatter spray" effect, which will create a large circular splash area similar to a explosion, damaging or destroying anything unfortunate enough to be caught inside the splash area. At full power, five beams will be released at 80 and 45 degree angles respectively.
- Capsule Laser (Yellow) - creates a small, capsule-like pod which will travel slightly ahead of the Force before stopping, it will then begin firing rapidly at a rate faster than the Vulcan Cannon. Up to two capsules can be released at a time when at full power.
- Homing Missiles - obtained when the Ragnarok collects a crystal with a "M" on it. When used, the Ragnarok will fire two missiles that will track the nearest enemy and damage them. They have high accuracy, but deal low damage.
- Round Bit Devices - the Round Bits act as a small, shield-like device that absorbs weaker enemy fire. They are indestructible so long as the Ragnarok is not destroyed, but do not provide any firepower in most cases save for the Air-to-Air Laser.
- Speed Up - when the Ragnarok obtains a crystal with an "S" on it, it will increase is its overall speed by one unit for a maximum of five. One must be careful not to obtain too many, it will make the Ragnarok harder to control.