Ren Höek is a fictional character from the Nickelodeon series The Ren & Stimpy Show. He is the main protagonist in the series and the APC series. However, he is more of a villainous protagonist than an actual hero.
Ren is a scrawny 17-year old asthma-hound chihuahua with a fairly long, rat-like, pink tail (which disappears constantly to the point of it not being seen in the later series). Apparently he may be of Mexican origin, obviously for the breed of dog he is.
Ren is portrayed as being greedy, insane, delusional, paranoid, intolerant, violent and insecure (in short, mentally unstable). Whenever Ren's upset he lashes out his anger on his best friend Stimpy usually by simply slapping him in the face, or by brutally beating him up and treats Stimpy like a School Bully. Ren's most famous personality trait, however, is his short and violent temper because Stimpy keeps irritating him which caused Ren to go completely, dangerously insane.
He has a Swedish cousin named Svën Höek, a plump, idiotic chihuahua who is very similar to Stimpy. In the Spümcø era of The Ren and Stimpy Show and Adult Party Cartoon, Ren is voiced by John Kricfalusi in "a bad imitation of Peter Lorre." In the Games Animation era of the Nickelodeon series, Ren is voiced by Billy West using a combination of Burl Ives, Kirk Douglas, and a slight "south of the border accent", after John Kricfalusi and the others at Spümcø were fired. West also did Ren's maniacal laughter, throughout the series (including when John Kricfalusi did Ren's voice).
Ren personality remained unchanged for years. But one thing never changed: he is crazy, insane, neurotic that even in extreme cases can become totally a rabid beast (as seen in the APC episode "Ren Seeks Help"). His antagonistic role can range from a simple pull of a real villain, and that shows in many episodes from the original version as "Best Man Friend" to the most recent "Ren Seeks Help". If the antagonistic side of Ren varies, so does his heroic side.
- He sometimes cares for Stimpy.
- In Robin Hoek, In his dream he (as Robin Hoek) saves Maid Moron (Stimpy) from the Sheriff of Nottingham.
- He redeems himself in the end of Stimpy's Fan Club.
- He sometimes saves Stimpy when he's in trouble.
- In Stimpy's First Fart, He brought Stimpy in the house after he was freezed in a cube of ice and showed him Stinky, his fart friend after he found his way home.
- In The Last Temptation, He saved Stimpy from choking on a lump of chicken by hitting his back.
- Although he's one of the two protagonists of the series, he is also the antagonist.