Ritsu Sohma is one of the supporting of the Fruits Basket series and and cursed by the spirit of the monkey of the zodiac.
In the 2001 anime serie, he is voiced by Miina Tominaga in the Japanese version of the anime, and by Mike McFarland in the English version of the anime.
In the 2019 anime serie, he is voiced by Kengo Kawanishi in the Japanese version of the anime, and by Mike McFarland in the English version of the anime.
He has brown hair that makes him look like a woman.
When he is transform, he become a monkey.
He is depicted as a beautiful but unstable young man with very low self-esteem and a tendency to overreact. He apologizes frantically for everything, even things that are not his fault.
He takes after his mother, the hostess of the Sohma family's onsen, whose position he is in training to take over.
Ritsu dresses in women's clothing because he says he then feels less pressure from society, and is initially mistaken for a woman by Tohru Honda because of his long hair and beauty. Most Sohmas call him "Rit-chan" and, to Shigure's amusement, Tohru calls him "Rit-chan-san" (see Japanese honorifics). Shigure likes to play with Ritsu's insecurities and gullibility, much as he does his editor, Mitsuru; when Ritsu and Mitsuru meet, they realize they have this in common, and in a bonus story in the first fan-book, he and Mitsuru are a couple.
In the final chapter of the manga, Ritsu is giving Kagura one of his women's kimonos, has cut his hair short, and is not dressed like a girl.
- He is 21–22 years old.
- He is the sixth of the cursed Sohmas to have his curse broken.
- His First Japanese Voice Actress, Miina Tominaga also voices Myōjin Yahiko from Rurouni Kenshin.
- His Second Japanese Voice Actor, Kengo Kawanishi is best known for voicing as Tōru Kishiri from Fire Force.
- His English Voice Actor, Mike McFarland is best known for voicing as Jean Havoc from Fullmetal Alchemist series, Master Roshi from Dragon Ball series (Funimation), Jean Kirschtein from Attack on Titan.
- His Child English Voice Actress, Katelyn Barr is best known for voicing as Natsumi from Date A Live and Shoukaku from Azur Lane.
- Natsuki Takaya derived his name from the eighth month, odakaritsuki or "rice harvest month," which is the month of the Monkey, of the traditional Japanese calendar.
- In an author's note, Takaya said that she regretted how little a role Ritsu played in the main story, appearing a total of five times.