|“||Rodan. The Fire Demon.||„|
|~ Ilene Chen describing Rodan.|
Rodan, also dubbed Titanus Rodan or the Fire Demon, is the secondary antagonist-turned-supporting anti-heroic protagonist of the 2019 film, Godzilla King of the Monsters. He also appeared as a cave painting in the 2017 film Kong: Skull Island. He is a destructive pterosaur-like kaiju capable of mass destruction and sometimes being seen as a god of destruction. He is also the former right-hand man of Ghidorah and later Godzilla.
He is portrayed by Jason Liles, who also played King Ghidorah's middle head in the same film.
Rodan first appears when the ecoterrorist Alan Jonah uses a device known as the Orca to awaken Rodan from a Mexican volcano where he has been resting for many years, Rodan flies out of his volcano while being blasted by several jets, his quick speed combined with his massive wings causing massive gusts to strike the city below, levelling buildings and blowing people and objects away, once Rodan is out of the volcano, Monarch has pilots distract Rodan so that he will come closer to Ghidorah, planning that they would kill each other, this doesn't really go as planned as while they fight for a few minutes, Ghidorah easily defeats Rodan with a single blast, Ghidorah flies to Rodan's volcano in order to absorb energy and heal, in which Rodan flies to Ghidorah and becomes his minion, showing his loyalty by bowing to him. Rodan and the rest of Ghidorah's minions go on a lengthy massacre throughout the world on Ghidorah's orders.
In Boston, as Godzilla and Mothra fight Ghidorah, Rodan arrives and attacks Mothra, the two battle each other, and at first the larger Rodan gains the upper hand and is seemingly going to win, burning and wounding Mothra, but Mothra stabs Rodan with her stinger, severely wounding him and supposedly killing him, however, Rodan somehow survived the battle, although he is severely wounded. He returns at the end of the film, when Godzilla has been crowned king of the titans again, after killing Ghidorah and decides to become a minion to him now, showing his loyalty by bowing to Godzilla (being the first to bow in front of Godzilla) along with the other titans.
Rodan is extremely aggressive and violent when threatened; as he was seen destroying jets and other aircraft that fly near him as well as devouring a pilot that had ejected himself from his cockpit; after they attack him.
Like the other titans, Rodan has an honorable side to him, in which he follows the strongest among the titans, believing that the one who is the most powerful is the alpha. This is seen when he bowed down to Godzilla, after he had defeated Ghidorah, who had usurped the title from him.
It's possible Rodan was never truly evil, when he was first woken up he didn't attack or kill anyone until the jets attacked him first, him killing the civilians seemed to be unintentional. He did try to defeat Ghidorah and only served him, as he was defeated in fair combat and thought Godzilla was dead.
Powers and Abilities
- Titan Physiology: As a titan, Rodan is incredibly powerful; as he possesses various physical and supernatural attributes that surpasses that of most other titans.
- Advanced Strength: Rodan is far stronger than most other titans; for example, he is strong enough to last a significant length of time grappling in the sky with Mothra and Ghidorah.
- Advanced Durability: Rodan is far more durable than most other titans; for example, he has an extreme tolerance to heat and magma, having hibernated inside a volcano for at least several decades. He is also completely immune to conventional weaponry such as gunfire or missile strikes. A layer of volcanic rock acts as armor plating for Rodan's wings.
- Advanced Stamina: Rodan possesses far more stamina then most other titans; allowing him to remain physically active for long periods of time.
- Flight: Similar to pterosaurs, Rodan can fly at supersonic speeds sufficient to outmaneuver fighter jets and is highly agile while flying, Rodan is seen destroying several fighter jets pursuing him by rolling while in flight and smashing them with his wings. When Rodan is flying at his top speed, his wings generate cyclonic drift streams that can level entire cities instantly by literally ripping structures out of the ground and into the air.
- Shockwaves: Rodan produces destructive shockwaves, described by Monarch as "cyclonic drift streams", while flying at his top speeds which can flatten buildings he passes over and launch debris such as vehicles and people into the air. Monarch scientists speculate the monster's wingspan is vast enough to level cities with this technique.
- Magma System: Rodan has an internal combustion system of magma that flows throughout his body. His hot temperatures allow him to survive the temperature of his volcano and at one point in his feud with Mothra he sets her and the building on fire.
Advanced Combatant: Rodan can use his beak, wings and talons as weapons for combat; as they can easily crush fighter jets and even used his wings to knock off the raptors he was attacking.
Rodan and Ghidorah were initally enemies. When Rodan woke up from his volcano and encountered Ghidorah, the two engaged in battle. Ghidorah won and blasted Rodan into the ocean, though he didn't kill Rodan and spared him. After Ghidorah seemingly defetaed Godzilla and became the alpha titan, Rodan bowed to Ghidorah and became his second-in-command, seeing Ghidorah as the alpha titan. Rodan and Ghidorah teamed up to cause destruction in Washington D.C. Rodan even saved Ghidorah fom Mothra during the final battle in Boston as Mothra was attacking him.
Despite Rodan serving Ghidorah in the final battle, Rodan and Godzilla never directly attack each other. After Godzilla killed Ghidorah, Rodan arrives and initially was going to fight Godzilla. However, Godzilla glares at Rodan in which he is forced to bow down to Godzilla, now acknowledge him as the rightful alpha titan. Godzilla forgives Rodan in which Rodan now serves as Godzilla's loyal minion.
Rodan and Mothra are shown to be hostile towards each other. Rodan attacks Mothra during the final battle and the two engage in a fight. Rodan severly injures Mothra and nearly kills her, but Mothra incapacitates him with her stinger. It's unknown if Mothra simply stabbed him in the chest, just to try and kill him or if she stabbed him right in the shoulder and not the heart because she didn't want to kill him. Regardless, Mothra stinging Rodan does not kill him even though Mothra does not try to kill Rodan after he falls on the ground while she goes over to Godzilla to support him.
- The MonsterVerse Rodan is somewhat smaller than his previous incarnations. However, the height of this incarnation may be a matter of posture whether or not to be forward‐bent.
- This Rodan is the first of its incarnations with a wider wingspan than that of Mothra within the same continuity.
- Rodan is the second villain in MonsterVerse to be redeemed followed by Emma Russell.
- Much like the MonsterVerse King Ghidorah, the MonsterVerse Rodan is the first incarnation of the character capable of taking on a quadrupedal stance by using his wings as forelimbs.