|This hero was proposed but rejected by the community for not being admirable enough or lacks what is necessary to be a purely good hero. Therefore, this hero shall be added to our "Never Again List", where proposed heroes rejected by the community shall be placed to prevent future proposals of the same do-gooder. They can be proposed again (with the permission of an administrator) if new elements appear in their series that can change their status as non-PG heroes.|
Any act of adding this hero to the Pure Good category without a proposal or creating a proposal for this hero without the permission of an administrator will result in a ban.
|“||Call it a twist of fate. That's what brought this plague upon your ship. There's no one to blame but yourself.||„|
|~ Zoro after slicing up a Pirate Ship|
|“||If I can't even protect my captain's dream, then whatever ambition I have is nothing but talk! Luffy must be the man who becomes the Pirate King!||„|
|~ Zoro to Bartholomew Kuma|
|“||When the world shoves you around, you just gotta stand up and shove back. It's not like somebody's gonna save you if you start babbling excuses.||„|
|~ Roronoa Zoro.|
Roronoa Zoro is the swordsman of the Straw Hat Pirates and first mate. Also known as "Pirate Hunter Zoro", he is a pirate, former bounty hunter from the anime and manga series One Piece. He is one of the most versatile fighters in the series and one of the strongest four fighters in the Straw Hat Pirates beside Monkey D. Luffy, Sanji and Jinbe and considered one of the biggest threats by the World Government in the crew after his captain and Jinbei. He is also the most loyal crewmate to Luffy amongst the Straw Hats.
His first bounty was 60,000,000 Berries after he defeated over 100 bounty hunters of Whiskey Peek and Daz Bones/Mr.1. His Second bounty was 120,000,000 Berries after the Straw Hat declared war against the World Government and defeated Kaku. His current bounty is 320,000,000 Berries after he defeated the top executive of the Spade seat Pica of the Donquixote Pirates.
He is voiced by Kazuya Nakai in the Japanese version of the anime, Christopher Sabat in the Funimation English dubbed version, and Mark Diraison for the 4Kids English dubbed version. As a child, he was voiced by Andrew Rannells in the 4Kids version, and Cynthia Cranz (only episode 2) and Brina Palencia in the Funimation version. In the English dubbed version of the One Piece: Unlimited Adventure game he was voiced by Aaron Dismuke, and he was voiced by Brian Zimmerman in English dubbed.
Zoro is a relatively tall man with a muscular physique and light tanned skin with distinctive spiky green hair which Sanji regularly ridicules him for by calling him "Moss Head". He has a stitched scar on his chest which he got from his first duel with Dracule Mihawk and has multple scars on his body from his days as a bounty hunter (which sometimes appear in the manga). He also has a set of three golden earrings on his left ear and wears a black bandana wrapped around his left arm which he wears on his head whenever he gets serious in a fight. He holds his signature three swords on the right side of his hips due to being left-handed.
His main Pre-Timeskip attire is normally a white plain shirt with three unbuttoned buttons, black trousers with a green haramaki, and black boots though his outfit varies throughout the series.
After the 2-year timeskip, Zoro has gotten notably more muscular and his hair has grown longer. He also has a new scar over his left eye, which he has closed; how he acquired it is unknown. He now wears an open long green coat, held together with a red sash that leaves his chest and his green haramaki exposed.
Zoro and Kuina making their promise to become the world's greatest swordsmen. As a child, Zoro trained at a dojo in Shimotsuki Village. Zoro stated in the Baratie, that, "Once he decided that he would become an invincible swordsman, he left his life behind".
Even as a child, Zoro was strong enough to defeat most adults, but could not defeat Kuina, the Dojo master's daughter. After their 2000th fight (and Kuina's 2000th victory) Zoro challenged her in private for one more match - with real swords. Although he had improved tremendously since their first match, he still lost and cried with frustration, telling Kuina about his dream of becoming the world's greatest swordsman. Hearing this, Kuina confided in Zoro, telling him that she shared the same dream but knew she could never attain it - her father had told her that girls could never be true sword masters, and that her fighting potential would decrease as her body matured. Zoro, annoyed by her defeatist attitude in spite of repeatedly winning against him, told her that one day he would beat her because he was more skilled, not just because she was a girl. The two made a promise - that either of them had to become the world's best swordsman.
The next day, Kuina suffered a fatal fall down the stairs of her dojo (to get a sharpening stone for her sword, something she would not have needed if she and Zoro had not fought with real swords), much to Zoro's anger and disappointment. Realizing that she would never have a chance to fulfill her dream, Zoro took it upon himself, asking his sensei, Koshiro, for her sword, Wado Ichimonji, and began working to develop his signature Santoryu, holding his own two swords in each hand, and Kuina's clenched between his teeth.
Eventually, Zoro learned of Dracule "Hawk-Eye" Mihawk, who currently holds the title of the Greatest Swordsman in the world. He set off to sea, searching for him in order to challenge him to a duel. However, he lost his way, and could not find his way back home. In order to survive on his own, he took on bounties to pay for living expenses. He quickly built a famous reputation for himself as a "Pirate Hunter" in East Blue and even in Grand Line as Baroque Works had heard about him; he was even considered the greatest swordsman of East Blue, after which he met the two bounty hunters, Johnny and Yosaku.
Because of his reputation as a bounty hunter, Zoro was offered a position as a numbered agent within the Baroque Works.He replied with that he would accept only on the condition that he would lead the organization (which they refused). He then killed Mr. 7, the agent who offered him the position, to defend himself.
East Blue Saga
Water 7 Saga
Thriler Bark Saga
Summit War Saga
During the Timeskip
Fishman Island Saga
Abilities and Powers
Unarguably an extremely powerful and strong young fighter with immense potential, Zoro is one of the Straw Hat Crew's top three fighters, and his strength is considered so great that, when taking his stern personality into account, people occasionally mistake him as the captain of the Straw Hat Crew after witnessing his skills in battle.
He is the second strongest on crew with fighting potential comparable to his captain Luffy. While Luffy always fights the strongest enemy, Zoro usually takes on the second strongest with Sanji taking on the third strongest and Jinbe taking on the fourth to fifth strongest.
He is among the two swordsmen who wounded and left a permanent scar on Kaido, after Oden, a feat not even the other Emperors could do in their clashes; more so, in his full dragon, then hybrid form. Zoro was also the sole character to have stopped a combined assault from two of the strongest and oldest Emperors, and survived it, albiet severely wounded afterwards.
After two years of intense training with Dracule Mihawk, Zoro has grown much more powerful than before. It is shown during his first appearance after the timeskip that he can cut through extremely large objects with incredible ease, speed, and precision (also considering without the use of his left eye). Zoro was even able to cut a Pacifista in half with just one slash from his swords, where as two years prior he barely managed to only slightly damage one.
Zoro's newly-found strength is further demonstrated when he averts the previously mentioned formula of fighting the arc's second strongest foe when he easily defeats Hody Jones, the man in the role of the strongest adversary of the arc that typically does combat with Luffy. He accomplishes this with just a single, one-sword strike, despite being at a disadvantage at fighting a fishman underwater. He has also grown strong enough to be able to effortlessly kill a Logia user of inferior fighting ability, as he demonstrated to Monet by cutting her vertically in half without Haki, proving that she would have died if he were serious.
Even without his swords, Zoro has monstrous physical strength. At a very young age he was able to lift boulders over his head, and is now able to lift and toss an entire building. He can use some sword techniques without his swords, and has also been shown to pack powerful punches. He was even strong enough to deflect a punch from Oars before the timeskip, and has developed the ability to pump his arms up with pure muscle.
However, Zoro seemed unable to control his strength prior to the timeskip. This is shown when he tries to hold back while fighting the shipwrights of Galley-La using the dull edge of his swords, and yet still causes serious damage.
After the two year timeskip, it seems that Zoro has exponentially increased in physical strength as he was able to block an attack from the huge King Neptune's equally massive trident with ease.
- Expert Hand to Hand Combatant: When not armed with his swords, Zoro has shown to be skilled in hand to hand combat. He has been known to effectively knock out much larger creatures with unarmed strikes and defeat opponents with massive punches and kicks. Zoro has also been shown to fight on par with Sanji during their arguments, even without his swords at times.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Zoro's agility, speed, and overall reflexes are also extraordinary. He has shown that he is quick enough to keep up with Sanji, who is a master of his own leg-based style, as well as two Soru users simultaneously (Kaku and Jabra). He can move at nearly imperceptible speeds, jump to astonishing heights, and dodge bullets with ease.
- |Superhuman Speed: On numerous occasions, Zoro has shown being able to evade (or block) high-speed attacks and projectiles like bullets that move so fast that it would normally be impossible for an average human to even notice them, much less evade them. Thus, Zoro was able to dodge simultaneous pressure shots as well as a laser blast from Bartholomew Kuma, both of which travel at extremely high speed, even after being heavily injured from his previous fights with Oars and fatigued from his fight with Ryuma.
- Speed Swimming: After the two years of training, Zoro can even move underwater at a speed faster than a fishman. This was mentioned by a member of the New Fishman Pirates, who exclaimed that it was inconceivable for the human swordsman to be faster than a fishman (referring to the aforementioned battle with Hody Jones) underwater.
|“||How can he still be standing after taking a hit from the giant? I don't even know who the real zombie is anymore!||„|
|~ On Zoro's endurance.|
- Immense Pain Resistance: To match his incredible strength, Zoro also has an amazing tolerance to pain and astonishing amounts of stamina and endurance, all without being a Devil Fruit eater or enhanced human, evidenced by numerous situations he has thus far endured. Several examples are:
- Dracule Mihawk's black sword slashing his chest.
- Arlong's saw-like nose stabbing into his chest.
- Cutting into his own legs to try and free himself from Mr. 3's wax creation.
- Mr. 1's two buzz saws jamming into his chest.
- Enel's massively powerful lightning based attacks.
- CP9's Kaku's many Rankyaku attacks.
- Receiving a direct kick from the giant Oars.
- Kuma's explosive Ursus Shock attack.
At a testament to this, Zoro managed to absorb all the damage and fatigue Luffy accumulated from fighting against Oars and Moria, consisting of him overtaxing himself using Gear Second and Third, both of whom put Luffy unconscious afterwards. All this added onto all the damage Zoro sustained from fighting against Ryuma, Oars, then enduring a head-on Ursus Shock blast from Kuma, putting him close to death, the Warlord himself stating that taking all Luffy's pain, and adding it onto his own would definitely kill him. Zoro, however, managed to survive, purely by sheer force of will and pride, although even he dropped into a three-day coma shortly thereafter.
Zoro has survived numerous wounds that would easily kill normal people, showcasing his unbelievable endurance and durability, and the majority of his battles lead to him being drenched in blood and sustaining lethal injuries. Even while in an almost death-like state, he is still able to battle against very strong enemies and even fight with improved skill, tenacity and a clear head. All this demonstrates some of the greatest feats of endurance seen in the entire One Piece series, especially for one without Devil Fruit powers, proving he arguably has the highest endurance out of all the Straw Hat Pirates, who already seem inhuman themselves.
Zoro is an extremely powerful master swordsman, being able to use one, two, and three swords in varying attack styles, going from melee-type all the way to artillery. He is even able to use some sword techniques that utilize the very air itself to strike the enemy from a distance. Brook classifies Zoro as a user of the "Power of Destruction" (破壊力 Hakairyoku).
Although he is most comfortable with his Santoryu, his skills with a single sword are still quite exceptional, being able to hold off the Nyaban brothers, having bested several of the lower-ranked members of Arlong's crew, defeating Mr. 1, and the zombie, Ryuma. After his two years under Mihawk's tutelage, his skills have grown so powerful that he was able to defeat the fishman Hody Jones while underwater with just one slash from a single sword, and effortlessly defeated the best swordsman of Fishman Island, considering him to be too weak to even kill his boredom, despite the latter having went through a transformation due to the Energy Steroids.
Since no one else has been seen using anything similar to his Santoryu style (except for Jigoro while he possessed Zoro's shadow), it can be assumed that Zoro invented not only Santoryu but most, if not all, of his sword techniques. He is even seen perfecting a new technique in his fight with Braham.
If he is fighting weaker enemies (or innocent bystanders that he has no desire to injure in the first place), like the Galley-La employees in Water 7, he uses only the blunt sides of his swords. Although, as Nami and Chopper pointed out, due to his strength, even that could cause fatal injuries.
A long standing problem with Zoro was his inability to cut steel. The anime incorrectly shows him instinctively cutting steel during some of his encounters before learning how to control and master this ability during his battle with Daz Bones. After his two years of training Zoro is now able to easily cut through materials even stronger than steel. After the timeskip, he has shown the ability to slice through steel "like fruit", and is now strong enough to decapitate a legendary beast like a Dragon with ease.
While he is able to use both hands as well as his mouth in sword combat, Zoro seems to be predominantly left-handed. He keeps all three of his swords sheathed next to his right hip, an indication of being left-handed as it would be easier to pull a sword out from that side with a left hand. Also, when using one sword in combat, Zoro is usually seen using his left hand to wield the sword. His Ittoryu techniques have nearly always been executed with his left hand.
His main fighting style, Santoryu (Three Sword Style), performed using one in each hand and one in his mouth, which he started learning since gaining Kuina's Wado Ichimonji. It has a wide arrange of techniques, ranging from powerful high-speed, close-range, long-ranged techniques.
His original fighting style, Nitoryu (Two Sword Style), which he has used throughout his childhood, making it his second preferred method.
His least preferred fighting style, Ittoryu (One Sword Style), which he has been noted as not being too good at, but uses in memory of his childhood friend, Kuina and often uses it as a finishing move. Following the two-year timeskip, Zoro has became quite masterful in using it in combat.
Zoro manages to unlock a new swordstyle known as Kyutoryu (Nine Sword Style), performed after activating "Kiki Kyutoryu: Asura", giving him the appearance of having six arms and three heads, resembling the Demon God itself. Since Zoro uses all three swords, it turned into nine swords, thus is triples his damage potential, making it into a rather powerful finishing move, often as a last resort.
However, it is unknown how Zoro gained it, as its exact nature it unknown, but Kaku suggested that it was an illusion created from Zoro's spirit.
Zoro learned Kin'emon's Kitsunebi-ryu (Fox Fire Style) through observation, as such, it allows him to generate, attack with, and cut through fire. He has shown to be capable of using the same techniques as the original wielder, and is able to enhance his own techniques too.
Zoro's sixth sword style, Enou Santoryu (King of Hell, Three Sword Style) is an enhanced version of Santoryu, where he uses Busoshoku and Haoshoku Haki in all three swords. As such, it has empowered his original techniques, all of which were powerful enough to wound and defeat King, a Lunarian and Kaido's Right-Hand Man.
During the two-year training, Zoro lerned Haki from Dracule Mihawk, the World's Strongest Swordsman, learning Busoshoku and Kenbunshoku Haki. But, it is later revealed that he is one of the few individuals who has all three Haki types.
He is a rare owner of Haoshoku Haki, being chosen by Heaven and holding the qualities of a "King". However, this wasn't seen until their Raid on Onigashima, where Kaido confirmed he "infused" it into his Kiki Kyutoryu: Ashura giving him a permenant scar, but Zoro wasn't aware of this, so it's still dormant.
After realizing he is in possession of Haoshoku Haki, Zoro was able to knock the Beast Pirates coming to assist King unconscious, and was able to "infuse" it into all three swords. As such, it dramatically increase the offensive power of Enma, Wado Ichimonji, and Sandai Kitetsu, making far easier for him to wound and defeat King, a Lunarian.
He learned Busoshoku Haki, which became his forte concerning Haki. It was confirmed after Law asked Luffy who among the Straw Hats could face Caesar Clown, a Logia user, who could only be hurt using it. He first used it to rescue Tashigi by infusing Haki into a flying slash attack that cut Monet, a Logia user's cheek.
Zoro is noted to have mastered imbuement training under Mihawk, hardening his three swords. As a testament to this, he cut Pica, who transformed into a stone giant of tremendous size, then later struck him down despite the top executive coating his entire body in Haki, showcasing his superior Busoshoku Haki.
In Wano, Zoro remained standing after using Enma, notorious for draining Haki, and retook all of it after it emaciated his right arm. After training for three days, he managed to become more comortable using Enma, and was capable of even wounding Kaido, leaving him a second permanent scar after going all out. In his fight against King, Zoro showed usage of Busoshoku Haki's advanced application, where he freed all three swords from his mechanized sword.
Zoro learned Kenbunshoku Haki from Mihawk, first hinted as he asked Luffy and Sanji who also has it could sense they could sense a "wild animal" in the Ryugu Palace. In the anime, he used this in an attempt to find Pica's real form inside of his giant stone body.
In Wano, he used this to sense Batman attempting to kill Tsuru from a wide distance inside the air, then deflected it.
- Wado Ichimonji: One of the 21 Great Grade Swords that belonged to his late childhood friend, Kuina, Zoro inherited it after her death. It was forged by her grandfather, Shimotsuki Kozaburo, the same swordsmith who forged Enma.
- Sandai Kitetsu, one of the of the Grade Swords, among those swords famed for being "cursed".
- Enma: One of the 21 Great Great Swords that belonged to the famous samurai and pirate, Kozuki Oden who passed it down to his daughter, Hiyori, who gifted it for Zoro in return for Shushi. It is infamous for drawing out and draining all the Ryuo (Haki) of its owner.
- Two Original Katanas (broken by Dracule Mihawk)
- Yubashiri: (rusted by Shu and left it to the graveyard)
- Shusui: (returned to Ryuma's grave and the people of Wano)
- Saved Rika from Helmeppo's stupid pet.
- Zoro opted to sacrifice himself to rescue Luffy and his crew by taking all his captain's pain from near death, while being near death too. But, still survived it all.
- Defeated Pica and saved Rei King.
- Saved Otsuru from Beast Pirates.
- Saved Hiyori, twice.
- Zoro has his own jolly roger, like all the Straw Hat crew. It has Zoro's bandanna, two swords instead of crossbones, and a sword in its mouth (the white hilt suggests that it is Wado Ichimonji, which is always the one that Zoro holds in his mouth when using Santoryu).
- After the timeskip, the skull gains Zoro's three earrings and the left eye is closed with a vertical scar over it to match Zoro's own eye. The swords that make up the crossbones are more detailed: the blade pointing towards the right is dark, suggesting that it is Shusui while the other is Sandai Kitetsu.
- Another jolly roger is seen on his armor in the cover of Chapter 699. This jolly roger is a regular skull with three swords crossing behind it.
- Zoro is the only member of the crew that Luffy personally sought out to invite before they actually met.
- Zoro is the only Straw Hat Pirate to be named after a real life pirate, this being after the Japanese pronunciation of François l'Ollonais.
- In Chapter 245 (Episode 159), Zoro is possibly revealed to be an atheist.
- Zoro is the first known person since Ryuma to kill a dragon, an act which made the latter a legend. Both of them also killed the dragon the same way, by decapitation in the air.
- Zoro and Killer share some similarities as members of the Worst Generation: they are the only members who are subordinates (with a lack of an apparent position in their crew) rather than a captain, they are both swordsmen, and they are the only ones who do not have a Devil Fruit power (although Killer has the weaknesses of a user after eating a defective SMILE).
- Zoro's reintroduction to the series after the timeskip is reminiscent of how Mihawk was introduced. Both sliced a galleon in two and both seemingly did so due to their naps being interrupted.
- Zoro has had the most English dub voice actors out of all the Straw Hats (2 as an adult, 4 as a child).
- In Japanese fan polls, Zoro was consistently the second most popular character, until his position was usurped by Law in the fifth poll, but he reclaimed it in the sixth poll. Furthermore, in the attack popularity polls his Santoryu Ogi: Sanzen Sekai came in 2nd.
- Zoro is the highest bounty starter on the East Blue with 60,000,000 bounty, defeating Luffy that amounts double of his initial bounty (30,000,000).
- His Japanese voice actor, Kazuya Nakai, has voiced Mondo Owada in Dangronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, Shinjiro Aragaki in Persona 3, Jin Sakai in Ghost of Tsushima, Ryuji Suguro in Blue Exorcist, Soma Schicksal in God Eater, Mugen in Samurai Champloo, Shizuka Doumeki in xxxHolic, Zaka in Valkyria Chronicles, and Aquaman in DC Super Heroes vs. Eagle Talon.
- His 4Kids English voice actor, Mark Diraison, also voiced Guts in Berserk, George Joestar I in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood, Akihiko Kayaba in Sword Art Online and Tokiomi Tohsaka in Fate/Zero.
- His English voice actor, Christopher R. Sabat, also voiced Piccolo, Vegeta, Yamcha, and Guru, in Dragon Ball Z, All Might in My Hero Academia, Mondo Owada in Dangronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, Ayame Sohma in Fruits Basket, Alex Louis Armstrong in Fullmetal Alchemist, Elfman Strauss in Fairy Tail, Kero-chan (true form) in Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card, William Rush in Time Crisis 4, Giroro in Sgt Frog, Ddraig in Highschool DxD, Kurogane in Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle, Batou in Ghost in the Shell, and Shep in Lumberjack Man.
- His 4Kids English voice actror as a child, Andrew Rannells, also voiced Connor in Cubix: Robots For Everyone.
- His English voice actress as a child, Cynthia Cranz, also voiced Chi-Chi in Dragon Ball, and Pansy in Dragon Ball Z.
- His English voice actor of the One Piece: Unlimited Adventure game, Aaron Dismuke, also voiced Yusuke Urameshi (child) in Yu Yu Hakusho, Tamaki Amajiki in My Hero Academia, Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu in Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy, Oscar Pine in RWBY, Alphonse Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist, Hiro Sohma in Fruits Basket (2001) Kakeru Manabe in Fruits Basket (2019), Van Fanel in Visions of Escaflowne, Arslan in The Heroic Legend of Arslan, and Hanae Ashiya in The Morose Mononokean.
- His English voiced actor, Brian Zimmerman, also voiced Tristan Taylor in Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Monkey D. Dragon, Gol D. Roger, and Crocodile in the same series.
SBS Based Trivia
- Zoro's surname, Roronoa, is the Japanese pronunciation of real-life French pirate François l'Ollonais.
- Oda has hinted that one of the reasons why Zoro uses sushi-based puns in his Nigiri attacks is because he has never tried sushi and has some sort of fascination with it. However, this can be considered one of Oda's SBS jokes.
- Zoro's favorite foods are white rice, Sea Beast meat, and anything that goes with sake. His least favorite food is chocolate because it is too sweet.
- Zoro also does not like ice cube, the same as Nami, Sanji and Franky.
- Zoro's favorite dish to cook is sashimi.
- Zoro's favorite type of island and season is autumn on a autumn island.
- Zoro's specific number is 02.
- Zoro's specific color is green.
- Zoro smells like steel.
- If the Straw Hat Pirates were a family, then Zoro would be the eldest son.
- Zoro's animal resemblance is a shark, and the cover of Chapter 3 (in which he was introduced) shows a picture of Luffy riding on the back of a shark.
- However, in the chapter 651 when all the Straw Hat Pirates, except Luffy and Nami, were represented as animals, Zoro was shown as a tiger and he was turned into a tiger in the video game, Chopper's Big Adventure. He had dragon-based attire in the video game, Unlimited Cruise.
- If One Piece was set in the real world, then Zoro would be from Japan.
- Zoro's thoughts are "Sword, Sword, Strength, Train, Sleep", and like the rest of the Straw Hat Pirates, "Friendship".
- When asked which flower Zoro resembles the most, Nico Robin's Japanese voice actress replied he most resembles a thistle.
- When Oda was later asked about what flowers he thought best represented the members of the Worst Generation, he gave an alternate answer for Zoro: Wisteria.
- Zoro bathes once a week, the same as Luffy and Brook.
- Trafalgar D. Water Law calls Zoro according to his name, Zoro-ya.
- Zoro represents the prefecture of Hokkaido.
- Other than taking naps, Zoro typically sleeps at 4:00 A.M. and gets up at 7:00 A.M.
- If the Straw Hat Pirates were not pirates, then Zoro would be a police officer.
- Zoro's hobbies are training and drinking alcohol.
- If the Straw Hat Pirates had a 50-meter race, then Zoro would come in fifth place. Oda clarifies that Zoro would be ranked higher in a shorter distance race, but Zoro would get lost in a longer race.
Devil Fruit Users
Amazon Lily/Kuja Tribe