This Hero was Headlined on May 2021.
This Hero was proposed and approved by Heroes Wiki's Pure Good Proposals Thread. Any act of removing this hero from the category without a Removal Proposal shall be considered vandalism (or a "villainous" attempt to demonize said character) and the user will have high chances of being
|“||As a girl, I wanted to be just like those heroes in the books. Someone who fought for what was right and protected people who couldn't protect themselves!||„|
|“||We've all lost something, and I've seen what loss can do to people. But if we gave up every time we lost, then we'd never be able to move forward.||„|
|~ Ruby in her letter to Yang Xiao Long.|
|“||You're wrong. We've done things that most people would call impossible, and I know the only reason we were able to do it is because we didn't do it alone! We had people to teach us, people to help us, we had each other. Work with us. At least I know we'll have a better chance if we try together. Please.||„|
|~ Ruby to Raven.|
Ruby Rose is the main protagonist of the RWBY franchise. She is the main protagonist of the American animated webseries RWBY, its Japanese manga prequel/adaptation, comic book series by DC Comics, and video game spinoffs RWBY: Grimm Eclipse and RWBY: Arrowfell. She is a Huntress, leader of Team RWBY, and a defender of the world of Remnant.
She is voiced by Lindsay Jones.
Ruby is a fair-skinned young girl with silver eyes and black hair, which fades into red tips. Her hair has been styled several ways, but is usually short to shoulder-length. Her outfits consist of blacks, reds, greys/silver and creams, though her most prominent accessory and one worn in every public outfit is her signature red cape and hood. She stands slightly over five feet tall.
- See Ruby Rose (RWBY Chibi)
RWBY: Ice Queendom
RWBY: Amity Arena
Ruby appeared as a character in the defunct mobile video game RWBY: Amity Arena. She was the playable character in the game's story mode, where she fights throught the Battle of Beacon.
In the game's primary multiplayer mode, Ruby appeared as several units. The Scythe Ruby unit was a ground-based melee unit with a large area of attack that dashed towards nearby enemies. The Sniper Ruby unit was a ranged unit that shot at distant enemies, and could fire a rapid stream of more powerful shots. The Ice Flower unit had Ruby combine with Weiss to fire long-range shots, with the special ability freezing enemies upon hit.
|“||I remember getting to know Ruby and thinking, "This girl is the embodiment of purity."||„|
|~ Blake to Sun, about what word Ruby personifies in "Necessary Sacrifice".|
Ruby is an energetic and optimistic girl who always searches for the most peaceful or hopeful option to situations. She filters her anger and sadness through connections and fellowship, and refuses to give up no matter the odds. She often attempts to appeal to her foes, offering them companionship, though she has her limits for those who are beyond redemption or have hurt her too much.
In most casual settings, Ruby is carefree and fun-loving, quick with smiles and warm remarks. Throughout her adventures, the tough situations have made her more serious and cautious, but no less optimistic and determined. She genuinely cares for all of her allies on a personal level, and sees close friends and allies as essentially family.
Powers and Abilities
Ruby is a master combatant, especially with her scythe Crescent Rose. She is capable of advanced martial arts, blade mastery, acrobatics, and defenses with it equipped. She is also a master marksman, able to snipe from close and long range with a variety of elemental Dust ammunition that allows her to fight with Fire, Ice, Lightning, Gravity, and more. Though she was originally overly reliant on her weapon to the point of being ineffective without it, she has since gone through hand-to-hand combat training from Professor Ozpin, though she still struggles with it and prefers armed combat.
Ruby possesses a Semblance, a power unique to her drawn from her soul. Her Semblance, called Petal Burst, allows her to transform her body, as well as clothes and people/items she is in physical contact with, into a mass of rose petals. In this lighter, less massive form, she is able to be nearly intangible and pass through objects, even splitting into several separate masses. She uses this with extreme speed to dodge and maneuver, and can even pass through people and small objects, and even gains limited flight. She has also been shown to use her extreme speed without transforming, moving faster than the eye can see. However, she seems to have a limit to the amount of people/items she is able to transport, as she has shown exhaustion after carrying Weiss, Blake, Yang, Penny and Nora across the length of two rooms.
Like all creatures with a soul, Ruby also has possesses an Aura, a physical defense generated by her soul. This durable field is invisible except when it is overtaxed, where it flashes red. Her Aura defends her from attack and can even heal minor wounds, but if it takes too much damage it will become depleted and require time to return.
Ruby also possesses Silver Eyes, a rare trait passed down through generations. Gifted to mortals by the God of Light to combat the Grimm, Ruby can use her Silver Eyes to emanate energy that damages people and creatures of evil. The effects range from disintegration to petrification. Though Ruby has yet to master this, she has received guidance and is learning to hone this ability.
Ruby is also well regarded for her ability to adapt in combat, and her strategic mind. He is most commonly priased for excelling at leadership, and is commonly regarded with reverance and authority among her peers.
- Ruby alludes to the fairy tale character Little Red Riding Hood, particularly on her minor associations with Beowolves.
- This allusion has affected her appearance, causing her to almost constantly wear a red hooded cape.
- In the "Red" Trailer, she fights a large pack of Beowolves, a reference to Little Red Riding Hood coming face to face with a wolf in the story.
- In her Pajama outfit in "The Shining Beacon, Pt. 2", her top features a cartoonish heart-shaped face of a Beowolf, and wears a sleep mask similar to the eyes of the black Beowolves in her trailer.
- When Ruby hits her head on a tree in "Players and Pieces", the circling cartoonish images resemble black wolves with red eyes.
- In RWBY Chibi, Episode 12 Team RWBY perform Little Red Riding Hood for Team JNPR, with Ruby obviously playing Little Red.
- Beowolf figures are displayed in Ruby's bedroom shelves in Patch.
- Her name alludes to a type of gemstone that is often found in red. Furthermore, "Ruby" is the name of an actual shade of red. Meanwhile, her surname, "Rose", alludes to another shade of red and a type of flower that is also found most often in red.
- Ruby is the first character to be introduced in the series.
- Ruby's birthday is October 31, which is also Halloween.
- Ruby's alternate outfit, "Slayer", appears to be somewhat based on the early sketch shown in the second production diary.
- Early designs for Ruby were set aside and later used for Miltia Malachite, one of Yang's foes in the "Yellow" Trailer.
- Although Ruby is often depicted to favor sweets like cookies, her favorite food is actually strawberries.
- Ruby is the only character to appear in more than one of the Volume 1 prequel trailers, appearing in both "Red" and "Yellow" trailers.
- Ruby's voice in the Japanese dub is provided by Saori Hayami.
- Ruby fought Ragna the Bloodedge in an episode of DBX and won.