|“||Don't you dare take the name of Texas in vain!||„|
|~ Sandy getting angry at SpongeBob and Patrick for mocking Texas; her most famous quote.|
|“||Hold on there, little square dude!||„|
|~ Sandy saving SpongeBob.|
Sandra Jennifer "Sandy" Cheeks is one of the main characters in the Nickelodeon TV show, SpongeBob SquarePants. She is an anthropomorphic squirrel who is one of SpongeBob's best friends. Sandy is notable for her Texan characteristics, stereotypical accent and passion for science.
She is a minor character in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie and a supporting character in The SpongeBob Movie: Out of Water. She returns in The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge On The Run. and Kamp Koral: SpongeBob's Under Years.
Sandy comes from the state of Texas, she was actually born in Houston, Texas but she exhibits many characteristics of a stereotypical cowgirl character by going to every city in Texas. She speaks with a heavy southern accent, and uses typical southern slang words and phrases.
She is very fond of her homeland and its culture, as most notably seen in the episode "Texas", in which she grows homesick for it and considers leaving Bikini Bottom to return to Texas. In that same episode, she takes great offense at SpongeBob and Patrick's negative remarks about Texas, and violently attacks them when they continue to insult it.
Sandy is one of the most intelligent and sensible characters on the show. She is a multi-talented scientist and inventor, and originally came to Bikini Bottom to study sea creatures and their lifestyles. In Chimps Ahoy, it is revealed that she is employed by a trio of chimpanzees from the surface, named Dr. Marmalade, Lord Reginald, and Professor Percy. As an inventor, Sandy is capable of creating extremely advanced devices with ease.
Sandy is most commonly seen wearing her air suit when she is outside her tree dome. The suit is white with a yellow patch that has an acorn on it. The suit comes with a big glass dome (but it doesn't have an oxygen tank) with a pink flower attached. When Sandy appears inside the tree dome, she wears a purple bikini top, and a purple and green skirt like bottom.
As the rodent, her appearance is more reminiscent of an actual squirrel, albeit being roughly the size of a horse.
Sandy is usually kind and caring for SpongeBob SquarePants and is known to help him out when he's feeling lost as seen in newer episodes, such as "Lost in Bikini Bottom." However, in older episodes, she is shown to be much more erratic. For example in "Prehibernation Week," she is shown to be more insane when she forces SpongeBob to play rather dangerous activities, thus prompting SpongeBob to run away in fear.
She then forced all Bikini Bottomites to search nonstop for days on end looking for him, to the point when they all ran and hid from her just like SpongeBob. Sandy takes full pride in her Texas heritage and shown with her Texan accent. She had a lot of experience there and won't stand any insults from anyone who insults it, as shown in "Texas," where she cried several times throughout the episode because she missed her old homeland. SpongeBob and Patrick then made fun of Texas, extremely offending Sandy to the point where she pursued both of them down and brutally attacked Patrick.
She has also been shown to have a strong competitive streak and a high opinion of herself. In "Sandy, SpongeBob, and the Worm," she completely ignores SpongeBob's warnings about the Alaskan Bull Worm and tells him that she is "too Texas tough," only to discover the hard way that the Bull Worm is indeed too much for her to handle. In "Pressure," she continuously brags that land creatures are better than sea creatures and nearly drowns herself in an attempt to "prove" it.
She's Also Shown To Be Very Sensitive about her Home Country and will Harm Anyone who dares to speak the name of Texas in Vain
Sandy was born a twin to her brother Randy Cheeks, to Ma and Pa Cheeks in Houston, Texas, USA.
In Bikini Bottom, Sandy first met SpongeBob SquarePants while she was fighting a clam. She also met Patrick Star the next day when he tried to save SpongeBob who was at Sandy's treedome for tea and SpongeBob was all dried up because there is no water in her treedome. She has also met many other sea creatures since she arrived at Bikini Bottom.
Powers and Abilities
- Karate: Of all the characters in the show who practice Karate, Sandy is the best at it; she has green gear.
- Science: Sandy has shown to have a vast knowledge of science: several episodes feature her doing experiments, as the series progressed; she did more and more science.
- Inventing: In several episodes such as Chimps Ahoy and What Ever Happened to SpongeBob? Sandy has created many useful inventions using her inventing skills which helpful to everyone.
- Singing: Sandy is a very good singer.
- Guitar: Sandy has played guitar while singing several times, also, in the episode Band Geeks she was the Lead guitarist of the band.
- Lasso: Sandy can throw a lasso very easily such as in Sandy, SpongeBob, and the Worm, and The Gift of Gum also, in video games such as Battle for Bikini Bottom she has the ability to throw her lasso to catch or even break things that are far away.
- Lasso Gliding: In Battle for Bikini Bottom, Sandy can use her lasso to glide.
- Math: Sandy is seen giving a math lesson to intelligent Patrick in Patrick SmartPants.
- Strength: Sandy has been known to shred SpongeBob, attack back other fish, and tear plants and cactuses apart.
- Holding Her Breath: Sandy has been seen holding her breath for long periods of time in many episodes, however after a while; she has to find an air supply for herself.
- Driving: Sandy is able to drive a boat with the style of a jeep, even able to climb the mountain with one.
- Survival Skills: Sandy has shown to have good Survival Skills in To Save a Squirrel.
- Sand Boarding: In some occasions, Sandy was shown having remarkable skills in sand boarding. In case of episode Mooncation, Sandy was "Moon-Crater Boarding."
- Jellyfishing: Sandy is fascinated by jellyfish and had some skills in jellyfishing.
- Invisibility: As Miss Appear, she can turn invisible where energy cloak around her costume warps light around the her body in such a fashion that surfaces behind her are visible through her body as if there's nothing between them. Though she seemingly more competent in using this power, she unfortunately not realizing the catch of her said power: Must not lowered her guard for anything that would hit her, accidental or not. This explained how her powers ended up nearly killed her because her invisibility caused a driver accidentally hit her with his/her car to the cliff.
- Super-Squirrel Physiology: As The Rodent, her original attributes as normal squirrel are enhanced.
- Giant Size: As The Rodent, she was noticeably larger than in her natural form.
- Hot Sauce Tongue Torture: In Karate Choppers, Sandy took Karate to the next level by giving SpongeBob a long and merciful whopping, a beating that was destined to last for a long period of time by grabbing him by the tongue, pulling it out really long, and taking out a bottle of Volcano Sauce to pour some on SpongeBob’s tongue for him to taste it and feed him in a very brutal and painful way. When SpongeBob surrenders, Sandy acknowledges his defeat, and drinks the bottle herself while still holding on to SpongeBob’s tongue, not letting it go.
Heroic and Moral Acts
- Saved SpongeBob from the clam and later on saved SpongeBob and Patrick from drying up in her tree dome in Tea at the Tree Dome.
- Congratulated Gary during his performance in Culture Shock.
- Took care of SpongeBob in Suds.
- Introduced Christmas to Bikini Bottom in Christmas Who?, though SpongeBob helped spread it.
- Captured Wormy in a jar after he caused a lot of mayhem in Wormy.
- Conducted an all out search for SpongeBob when he went missing in Pre Hibernation Week.
- Saved SpongeBob, Patrick, Mr. Krabs, and Squidward from a group of hungry seagulls in Pressure.
- Attempted to bust the culprit who stole the clam’s pearl in The Smoking Peanut (though not knowing it was Mr. Krabs).
- Helped Squidward out alongside most of the rest of the citizens of Bikini Bottom in “Band Geeks.”
- Saved the town from the Alaskan bull worm in Sandy, SpongeBob, and the Worm, alongside SpongeBob.
- Saved SpongeBob from Master Udon in Karate Island.
- Defended Gary and taught SpongeBob a lesson for abusing him in "The Great Snail Race".
- Reese Witherspoon, Anne Hathaway, Jillian Bell, Zendaya, Kristen Wiig, Ellie Kemper, and Kate Micucci were all considered for the role of Sandy for the live-action film adaption to the series.
- In the Latin American dub of the series, she is called "Arenita" which is translated to "little sand" from Spanish.
- Sandy is one of the few main SpongeBob SquarePants characters whose brain hasn't be shown on-screen in one of the show's infamous hyper-detailed close-up shots and/or invaded by at least one other character yet (whereas close-up shots and invasions of SpongeBob's brain are easily one of the show's most notable running gags).
- In the episode Scaredy Pants, Sandy dresses as a pet goldfish in a bowl for Halloween (her air helmet being the bowl).
- Sandy was responsible for introducing Bikini Bottom to Christmas, as revealed in the episode Christmas Who?.
- Sandy moved to Bikini Bottom from Houston, Texas, as revealed in The Essential Guide of SpongeBob.
- In the episode Stanley S. SquarePants, an elderly Scottish relative of Sandy is shown.
- In the episode To Save a Squirrel, Sandy is shown to have a boatmobile with the design of a Jeep.
- Sandy cries in Ripped Pants, Texas, and What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?.
- A package of GoGurt featuring Sandy claims she works for a company called "Tree Dome Enterprises Limited".
- In Season 1, there are three dots on her suit instead of an acorn.
- Sandy's voice actress, Carolyn Lawrence, also voices Cindy Vortex on another Nickelodeon television series known as The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, who, like Sandy, practices martial arts. However, Cindy practices Tae-Kwon-Do, while Sandy practices karate.
- Sandy is called "Sandra" in Patrick SmartPants and Atlantis Squarepantis.
- In Season 1, Sandy's tail is not visible when she is wearing her suit in comparison to later seasons.
- Despite being established as a scientist in later episodes, Sandy is oblivious to the basic fact that sea creatures cannot survive without water in her first appearance. Although, it's may be because SpongeBob told her that he likes air not knowing that she means without water.
- She appeared the most in Season 1.
- In an episode of The Fairly OddParents, the King of Atlantis mentions that his species enjoys eating crabs, starfish and the "occasional underwater squirrel". As he says this, he burps a squirrel tail out of his mouth.
- In the live-action puppet sequence in the episode Pressure, Sandy is represented by a toy puppet and appears to be naked aside from her helmet.
- It is possible that Sandy knows the Krabby Patty formula prior to the episode, Karate Choppers, but it may be more likely they were making regular sandwiches in the park.
- In Rodeo Daze, it's revealed that Sandy has a twin brother named Randy.
- Sandy is incorrectly named "Sandy Squirrel" in SpongeBob's Last Stand.
- Sandy appears in the Bikini Bottom Adventures DVD cover, but doesn't appear in the episodes.
- Stephen Hillenburg said Sandy should come from Houston, because her suit reminded him of an astronaut.
- Sandy's voice actress Carolyn Lawrence also voices Ashley Graham in Resident Evil 4.
- She is one of the few characters whom Squidward does not seem to dislike, but he is still sometimes rude to her even when she is kind to him.
- As noted by fans and suggested by writer/voice actor Doug Lawrence in the DVD commentary for the season one episode "Plankton!", main casts of SpongeBob SquarePants were intended to represent Seven Deadly Sins. In Sandy' case, he represented Pride, as her confidence over her skills got her over her head at times as shown in "Pressure" and "Sandy, SpongeBob, and Worm".
The Loud House
Oh Yeah! Cartoons
The Fairly OddParents
The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
The Mighty B!
Pig Goat Banana Cricket
The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss
Dora the Explorer/Go, Diego, Go!/Dora and Friends
Santiago of the Seas
See Also: Cartoon Network Heroes