|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||GET OVER HERE!||„|
|~ Scorpion's famous line.|
|“||Vengeance will be mine!||„|
|~ Scorpion's Battle Cry in Mortal Kombat (2011).|
|“||My name is Hanzo Hasashi!||„|
|~ Scorpion to Quan Chi in Mortal Kombat X.|
|“||Blood for blood. Your debt is paid.||„|
|~ Scorpion to Quan Chi after executing him in Mortal Kombat X.|
Scorpion (real name: Hanzo Hasashi) is a specter from the Netherrealm. He is the main protagonist and mascot from the Mortal Kombat series of fighting games.
Scorpion appeared as a yellow palette swap of Sub-Zero. He kept this appearance from the first MK to MK4 after which he bore two swords on his back and his kunai attached to a rope tied to his belt. He has white eyes with his mask on. Without his mask, his head is a (sometimes flaming) skull. In MK4, he is further distinguished by his skeletal motif, mostly in the mask, with bone-like structures lacing his uniform. As of MKX, he has regained his humanity and human identity, depicted with a goatee and mustache and can switch between his human and familiar spectre-like appearance at will.
Scorpion unmasked is known as Inferno Scorpion. This design reappears in the Challenge Tower, fighting Kano in the Netherrealm. His costumes incorporate his namesake more and more with each game, especially his latest redesign. The hilts of his swords now resemble the stingers of scorpions, while his shoulder pads and mouthpiece are also molded after scorpions.
Scorpion's yellow costume is said to have mocked not only Sub-Zero, but also the Lin Kuei, as Takeda (who was a member of the Lin Kuei) developed Ninjutsu, which he considered a superior fighting style to what the Lin Kuei had. He quickly left the Lin Kuei and formed the Shirai Ryu clan, the Lin Kuei's main enemies.
When first seen, Scorpion can be described as the embodiment of vengeance and hatred. His vendetta against those who have wronged him is what drives most of his earlier motivations in the series.
His hunger for vengeance is so great that he would serve both sides of good and evil only for the sake of achieving his own goals but he is mostly seen within servitude of an antagonistic faction, particularly Quan Chi. While he his overall appearance gives off a menacing vibe, he is not inherently evil. Scorpion is rather a morally neutral character as his own personal goals matter more to him than things like the fates of the realms and will serve any side with the singular selfish hope of achieving them.
Scorpion is not completely heartless though as he has a caring and honorable side to him as Hanzo Hasashi, his original human side, but which gets buried and repressed time and time again due to his lust for vengeance. He dearly loved his wife and son Harumi and Satoshi and had good relations with his clan the Shirai Ryu.
But once him, his clan and family was massacred by their rival clan the Lin Kuei, Hanzo was reborn as the vengeful revenant known today as Scorpion.
Powers and Abilities
Scorpion is an extremely strong fighter and possess command over hellfire, as well as inability to die, thanks to the vengeful bonds on his soul, that allows him to pursue his targets until their demise. Scorpion is able to teleport and his mask, as well as the flesh behind it, hides the flaming skull that is his true face, from which he can spew lethal blasts of hellfire. The strength of his power depends on how long he stays in the Netherrealm.
Scorpion's signature attack is to send out his spear, a kunai on a long rope, that can be empowered with hellfire and impale it in his foes, then pull them in with it, exclaiming "get over here" or "come here." Scorpion can also swing the spear around to lash at his opponents, in a slightly whip like fashion.
As his alternate weapon fighting style, he uses a katana called the Mugai Ryu and in Mortal Kombat (2011), he wields a pair of short swords with more jagged blades.
- Scorpion is one of the most popular characters in the Mortal Kombat series, partially thanks to his having the most human-like personality, as opposed to the all noble and good ones of the good characters and the all evil and cruel ones of the evil characters. Scorpion was even voted number 1 on Screwattacks Top 10 Mortal Kombat Characters list.
- During his boss battle in Shaolin Monks, if the player dodges his spear too many times, Scorpion will scream “GET THE FUCK OVER HERE!” or “GET OVER HERE BITCH!” Also when he is dragged into lava at the end of the battle, he gives a thumbs up, a reference to Terminator 2, where the T-800 gave a thumbs up to John Connor as it submerged itself in molten metal.
- Scorpion's fatality from Deadly Alliance, where he sent out his spear into the opponent's head then yanked it off, was listed fourth on Screwattack's list of Top 10 Mortal Kombat Fatalities.
- Scorpion appears in every generation of Mortal Kombat games with the exception of the Game.com version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy.
- He has the only Hara-Kiri that does not generate blood.
- Ed Boon has admitted in various interviews that Scorpion is his favorite character and that any game without him feels incomplete. Boon also voices him.
- His fighting stance in the earlier games is a reference to his name with his up raised arm acting as his “scorpion tail”.
- Scorpion’s real name may be a reference to Hanzo Hattori, an actual samurai and possible ninja.
- Scorpion appeared in the Screwattack show, Death Battle, where he was pitted against Ryu from Street Fighter. In the fight, Scorpion managed to win despite the power of Ryu's Satsui no Hado and his Power of Nothingness, mostly thanks to his bringing his opponent to the Netherrealm, which kept powering him up to allow him take the karateka down.
- Scorpion has appeared in the DC comics fighting game Injustice: Gods Among Us as a special guest character. This game is also made by the same people that developed Mortal Kombat (2011).
- Before Scorpion's special guest appearance in Injustice: Gods Among Us when Midway wasn't bankrupt back in 2010, he also appeared in NBA Jam: Tournament Edition, The Grid (Midway's last arcade game), MLB Slugfest (as a team) and Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy (as a costume).
- As seen in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance as a hidden video, Scorpion has his own cooking show.
- Patrick Seitz, who voices Scorpion in Mortal Kombat (2011) and in MKX, also voices Endeavor in the My Hero Academia English Dub. Endeavor and Scorpion both are fire users who have a rivalry with an ice user, Shoto Todoroki and Sub-Zero (Kuai Liang).