Scylla, also dubbed Titanus Scylla, is a minor character in the 2019 film, Godzilla: King of the Monsters. She is a giant armored cephalopod kaiju who appears as a minor Titan that obeys Ghidorah, later Godzilla.
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Scylla was awakened from her slumber in Arizona by King Ghidorah's call, which also awakened many other Titans around the world. Scylla's legs tore through the desert near an oilfield as she erupted from underground. Like the other Titans, Scylla rampaged through populated areas, destroying buildings in nearby Flagstaff with her colossal legs. Eventually, she made her way to Boston along with Methuselah, Behemoth, and the six-legged MUTO. There, they found the alpha they were following, Ghidorah, slain at the hands of Godzilla. Rodan approached Godzilla to challenge him, but was intimidated by his gaze and ultimately submitted. The other Titans all followed suit, each "bowing" in their own way to the new King of the Monsters. Later on, reports of Scylla leaving humanity to live in a lake were brought up. The creature is also credited to the slowing down of the polar ice caps melting.
Godzilla Dominion and Godzilla vs. Kong
As show in the prequel comic, Scylla once attempted to attack a ship carrying a nuclear weapon before Godzilla fends her off. Alarmed by energy signature emitted by Ghidorah's remains that desecrated by Apex Cybernetics, Godzilla sends her and other titans back into dormancy. She remains dormant as her alpha instructed throughout the events of Godzilla vs. Kong, leading Monarch to label her status as "Defeated" due to unaware with the reason of her inactivity.
Scylla is a gigantic aquatic creature with a squid-like body and six incredibly long spider-like legs which she uses to walk. Scylla's torso possesses a noticeable ridge and a raised spine, with a large curved extension above her head, in a similar manner to the shell of a Chambered nautilus. She possesses a rounded head with two eyes, and several tentacles which hang down from her mouth area, similar to Cthulhu.
Powers and Abilities
- Titan Physiology: As a titan, Scylla is incredibly powerful; as she possesses various physical and supernatural attributes that surpasses that of most other titans.
- Advanced Strength: Scylla is far stronger than most other titans; for example, her legs and spiky tips are strong enough to tear through solid rock and buildings with ease.
- Advanced Durability: Scylla is far more durable than most other titans; for example, due to the spiky armor that covers her body and legs, Scylla is durable enough to topple buildings and withstand bullets and missiles with little to no damage.
- Advanced Stamina: Scylla possesses far more stamina then most other titans; allowing her to remain physically active for long periods of time.
- Amphibious Nature: Scylla's internal biology greatly resembles that of a squid and a crab, allowing her to survive both on land and in water.
- Bacteria Processing: Scylla can process the nutrients from the Titan carcasses she fed on into deadly waterborne bacteria.
- Liquid Nitrogen Emission: Scylla can emit massive quantities of liquid nitrogen from her body, which enables her to slow down the melting of ice in Antarctica, stabilizing the global sea levels in the process.
- Advanced Combatant: Scylla can use her tendrils which are capable of grasping smaller enemies and destroying buildings.
Godzilla and Scylla seem to have a respectful relationship. In 2019, Scylla does not attack Godzilla, but instead bows to him to show how she respects and acknowledge him as the rightful alpha titan.
- When Scylla was first shown in a trailer for Godzilla: King of the Monsters, it was widely believed to be Kumonga.
- Scylla being located in Arizona can be interpreted as a reference to the scene where Kumonga attacked Arizona in Godzilla: Final Wars.
- The outpost Scylla was contained in, Monarch Outpost 55, is a possible reference to the 1955 Toho film Godzilla Raids Again.
- In the film’s novelization, Scylla is mistakenly mentioned to have eight legs.
- Scylla appears to be the most popular Titan in-universe, as #Scylla is the most trending hashtag on Twitter after Monarch reveals Scylla's information to the world.
- Scylla was created by Michael Dougherty to indulge his interest in the Cthulu Mythos.
- While Scylla is benevolent so long as she serves Godzilla, Monarch still classifies her as a "Destroyer," as it also did Ghidorah and Rodan.