This Hero was proposed and approved by Heroes Wiki's Pure Good Proposals Thread. Any act of removing this hero from the category without a Removal Proposal shall be considered vandalism (or a "villainous" attempt to demonize said character) and the user will have high chances of being
|SCP-999 believes that this article has stopped in time, and any and all information on it may be outdated.|
Help improve this article by checking and updating it's info wherever necessary
And now time resumes!
|“||Listen up… You can pour drinks on me, you can throw food at me… You can even spit on me. I’ll just laugh that stuff off. But… Good reason or not… Nobody hurts a friend of mine.||„|
Shanks (シャンクス Shankusu), also known as Red-Haired Shanks, is a major protagonist in One Piece. He is a legendary and powerful pirate in the Grand Line, being the captain of the Red Haired Pirates and one of the Four Emperors in the second half of the grand line.
Furthermore, he is Monkey D. Luffy's childhood hero and a former member of Gol D. Roger's Crew. Overall, he is greatly respected by most of the characters, despite having a 'soft' and friendly nature and never appearing in actual combat until he started a fight with Whitebeard. As a whole, he does not make many appearances in the series, although he appears in a majority of the opening or closing themes of the anime. Shanks always wears a long black cape over his shoulders and until he met Luffy, wore a straw hat that he had worn for many years beforehand. He always wears trousers that are cut below the knee as well as a pair of sandals. The most striking thing about Shanks is the colour of his red hair, of which his nick-name 'Red Haired Shanks' comes from. He also has three scars across his left eye, which were given to him by Blackbeard a long time ago. He has a missing left arm, that he had lost when he saved Luffy from a Sea King. Shanks and his crew are almost always seen partying and drinking alcoholic beverages whenever they make an appearance as the Captain's favourite pastimes are attending and hosting parties and banquets. According to Oda, Shanks is the one character that resembles himself the most out of all the One Piece characters, because of his fun-loving partying nature.
He is voiced by Shūichi Ikeda and Nobunaga Shimazaki as a child in the Japanese version of the anime, and by Christian J. Lee inan alternate English dub by Odex, Tom Souhrada in 4Kids Entertainment English dubbed, and Brandon Potter in the Funimation English dubbed of the anime.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 History
- 4 Powers and Abilities
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Trivia
- 7 External Links
- 8 Navigation
Shanks is a tall, muscular man, with an extremely imposing figure, almost as much as the other Yanko, despite being considerably shorter and less muscular than ones like Kaido, Whitebeard, and Big Mom. He has neck length, blood red hair, tanned skin, and black eyes. He's always seen wearing brown, baggy pants, a white, button up, T-shirt, and an extremely long, black cape behind him. He has exposed, hairy legs, and brown sandels on his feet. When he was younger he wore a brown Straw Hat, which he previously recieved from his Captain, Gol D. Roger, but that ended when he gave it to Monkey D. Luffy. He wields a massive sword called Gryphon, which he has sheathed on his left side.
Shanks is one of the most laid back characters in the world of One Piece, preferring to take his time as he and his crew travels around the world rather than rushing from one place to another. As that way, Shanks is not cruel like many other pirate captains, nor does he rule over his crew with fear to gain respect. His friendly nature means he will not purposely seek to harm others, and he is able to make serious characters like Dracule Mihawk join in with his fun. Yet despite how simple minded he appears at first, Shanks is a complex person with some rather difficult to understand views. For example, he believes if two people share very different views, it is better they go their separate ways.
He also is against the idea of needless bloodshed, even if honor is involved and so far seems to only step up for a fight when a friend is in danger. He also seems to admire those who have courage, as seen when a young Luffy stood up against Higuma for insulting Shanks and also when he saw Coby gathering his courage to stop the war as the young marine believed that it was pointless to continue.
Shanks also has skills of diplomacy, as shown when he brokered a ceasefire between the Whitebeard Pirates and the World Government. His skills in diplomacy are so great that he managed to convince Sengoku to agree with his proposition, even though Sengoku has a strong hatred of pirates. He also likes teasing people, as demonstrated by his apparent reactions to Luffy as a child. Oda also stated that if a child asked Shanks for a Devil Fruit he'd tease them about being ten years too young to eat one.Shanks himself was like Luffy (as a child) in his younger years.
East Blue Saga
When shanks was at the east blue he met the young monkey d. luffy while on an island. shanks became acquainted to luffy and they formed a friendship. while they were in makino's bar the mountain bandits leaded by higuma the bear entered as they where looking for sake. shanks gave higuma the remaining sake and higuma said it wasnt enough and threw it at shanks. when that was happening luffy got mad at shanks and ate the devil fruit called gomu gomu nomi. after that higuma got into a fight with the mountain bandits which caused the red hair pirates to look outside and see luffy being in trouble after one of the mountain bandits placed a gun in shanks head ben beckman shot the bandit which caused the mountain bandits to fight and end up defeated but there leader higuma used a smoke bomb to go to to the ocean and dump luffy there but then a sea king attacked which killed higuma but luffy escaped but the sea king was gonna attack luffy but shanks lost his arm in the process.
Sky Island Saga
Water 7 Saga
Summit War Saga
Once Shanks arrived he saved koby from the marine's and wanted to stop the war to not disrespect ace and white beards death's
Powers and Abilities
Being a Yonko, Shanks is one of the most powerful characters in the series. This is well known, even though he has yet to be shown in a prolongued battle, and he's never been seen going all out yet. Still, he's able to provide a level of intimidation; that, and the few skills he's known to have gives him an air of intrigue as to what he's truly capable of. What is known is that he possesses all three forms of Haki, swordsmanship, and has no Devil Fruit.
The name of Shank's sword is Gryphon. It's currently unknown if it's a ranked blade, and if it is, what rank it holds. He's a master swordsman, although the precise extent of these skills are currently unknown. Because he has a longtime rivalry with Dracule Mihawk, the current greatest swordsman in the world, it has been speculated by fans that Shanks was the previous holder of that title, but so far that hasn't been confirmed or denied. He's only seen using his sword two times int he series. Once, during a brief clash with Whitebeard, on the latters ship, and the second time during a brief clash with Akainu, at the tail end of the Marineford War. The only extended fight that's known of where he would have used his sword are the many he had with Mihawk, especially the final battle that Whitebeard referenced, but it has yet to be shown.
Shanks is one of the few characters capable of using all three types of Haki
His ability to use Haoshoku was first hinted at shortly after his introduction, with him using the intimidation factor of Haoshoku to frigthen off a Sea King with a single angry glare.
While Shanks was boarding Whitebeard's ship for their meeting, dozens of Whitebeard's men (seasoned men able to survive the New World) collapsed into unconsciousness as the ship itself began taking physical damage from Shanks' mere presence, impressing those around.
Shanks has great mastery over Busoshoku Haki. During the Summit War of Marineford, his Haki-infused sword easily blocked Akainu's magma-enhanced punch. which was powerful enough to burn stronger enemies such as Ace, Jinbe, and even the Emperor Whitebeard.
Shanks possesses the ability to use Kenbunshoku Haki. as revealed in his vivre card.
- Shanks has several traits that seperate him from the other Four Emperors:
- Shanks is the only member confirmed to have not eaten a Devil Fruit.
- Shanks is the only member who is not an Admiral of a Fleet.
- Shanks is the only member of the original Four Emperors to not be a member of the Rocks Pirates.
- Shanks is the only member of the original Four Emperors to not wear a tattoo.
- Shanks is the only Emperor confirmed to have not been born in the Grand Line, hailing from the West Blue instead.
- In Shanks' bounty of 4,0 48,9 00,000, the 4-8-9 can be read as shi-ya-ku (シヤク). This could refer to his given name "Shanks" (シャンクス Shankusu.
- Shanks is the first character in the series to use Haoshoku Haki.
- In fact, he was the first character to show any form of Haki, in the first chapter no less.
- In the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th Japanese fan polls of most popular characters, he was ranked the 3rd, 7th, 11th, 8th, 14th, and 11th, respectively. Making him the most popular of the Four Emperors in each, and being in the first two the most popular character outside the members of the Straw Hat Pirates.
- In One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3, Shanks' taunt action allows him to put on sunglasses, which is a reference to his Strong World costume.
- Shanks' favorite foods are kimchi fried rice and lobster.
- In the anime, when Ace meets Shanks, it can be seen that Shanks still has both arms, even though he lost his left arm to the Lord of the Coast. This however, appears to be an error. This is corrected in the home release of the episode.
SBS Based Trivia
- According to Oda, Shanks is the one character that resembles himself the most out of all the One Piece characters, because of his cool and calm personality and stand-out attire.
- In reference to Shanks and Buggy's "which is colder" question, a fan asked Oda who got it right. Oda went on to explain that the Arctic was just a mass of ice and the Antarctic was a continent, which was made of land. Since land is colder than the sea (and the Arctic is frozen sea whereas the Antarctic is frozen land), Shanks was correct and the South Pole is colder.
- If a child asked Shanks for the Gomu Gomu no Mi, he would tease them about being ten years too young to eat one.
Devil Fruit Users
Amazon Lily/Kuja Tribe