|SCP-999 believes that this article has stopped in time, and any and all information on it may be outdated.|
Help improve this article by checking and updating it's info wherever necessary
And now time resumes!
|“||Listen up… You can pour drinks on me, you can throw food at me… You can even spit on me. I’ll just laugh that stuff off. But… Good reason or not… Nobody hurts a friend of mine.||„|
Shanks (シャンクス Shankusu) Red-Haired Shanks is a legendary and powerful pirate in the Grand Line, being the captain of the Red Haired Pirates and one of the Four Emperors in the second half of the grand line.
Furthermore, he is Monkey D. Luffy's childhood hero and a former member of Gol D. Roger's Crew. Overall, he is greatly respected by most of the characters, despite having a 'soft' and friendly nature and never appearing in actual combat until he started a fight with Whitebeard. As a whole, he does not make many appearances in the series, although he appears in a majority of the opening or closing themes of the anime. Shanks always wears a long black cape over his shoulders and until he met Luffy, wore a straw hat that he had worn for many years beforehand. He always wears trousers that are cut below the knee as well as a pair of sandals. The most striking thing about Shanks is the colour of his red hair, of which his nick-name 'Red Haired Shanks' comes from. He also has three scars across his left eye, which were given to him by Blackbeard a long time ago. He has a missing left arm, that he had lost when he saved Luffy from a Sea King. Shanks and his crew are almost always seen partying and drinking alcoholic beverages whenever they make an appearance as the Captain's favourite pastimes are attending and hosting parties and banquets. According to Oda, Shanks is the one character that resembles himself the most out of all the One Piece characters, because of his fun-loving partying nature.
He is voiced by Shūichi Ikeda in the Japanese version of the anime, and by Brandon Potter in the English version of the anime.
Shanks is a tall, muscular man, with an extremely imposing figure, almost as much as the other Yanko, despite being considerably shorter and less muscular than ones like Kaido, Whitebeard, and Big Mom. He has neck length, blood red hair, tanned skin, and black eyes. He's always seen wearing brown, baggy pants, a white, button up, T-shirt, and an extremely long, black cape behind him. He has exposed, hairy legs, and brown sandels on his feet. When he was younger he wore a brown Sraw Hat, which he previously recieved from his Captain, Gol D. Roger, but that ended when he gave it to Monkey D. Luffy. He wields a massive sword called Gryphon, which he has sheathed on his left side.
Shanks is one of the most laid back characters in the world of One Piece, preferring to take his time as he and his crew travels around the world rather than rushing from one place to another. Shanks is not cruel like many other pirate captains, nor does he rule over his crew with fear to gain respect. His friendly nature means he will not purposely seek to harm others, and he is able to make serious characters like Dracule Mihawk join in with his fun. Yet despite how simple minded he appears at first, Shanks is a complex person with some rather difficult to understand views. For example, he believes if two people share very different views, it is better they go their separate ways.
He also is against the idea of needless bloodshed, even if honor is involved and so far seems to only step up for a fight when a friend is in danger. He also seems to admire those who have courage, as seen when a young Luffy stood up against Higuma for insulting Shanks and also when he saw Coby gathering his courage to stop the war as the young marine believed that it was pointless to continue.
Shanks also has skills of diplomacy, as shown when he brokered a ceasefire between the Whitebeard Pirates and the World Government. His skills in diplomacy are so great that he managed to convince Sengoku to agree with his proposition, even though Sengoku has a strong hatred of pirates. He also likes teasing people, as demonstrated by his apparent reactions to Luffy as a child. Oda also stated that if a child asked Shanks for a Devil Fruit he'd tease them about being ten years too young to eat one.Shanks himself was like Luffy (as a child) in his younger years.
East Blue Saga
Sky Island Saga
Water 7 Saga
Summit War Saga
Powers and Abilities
Being a Yonko, Shanks is one of the most powerful characters in the series. This is well known, even though he has yet to be shown in a prolongued battle, and he's never been seen going all out yet. Still, he's able to provide a level of intimidation; that, and the few skills he's known to have gives him an air of intrigue as to what he's truly capable of. What is known is tha the possesses all three forms of Haki, swordsmanship, and has no Devil Fruit.
As a Yonko, Shanks possesses all three forms of Haki. Observation and Armament have yet to be seen, but was revelaed in the Vivre Card databooks. He uses Conqueror's Haki twice in the series. The first was during Luffy's flashback, when he saves Luffy from a Sea King, using his Conqueror's Haki to scare it away. The second time was when he appeared on Whitebeard's ship; since he was on an enemy's ship, he used his Conqoueror's Haki instinctively, which caused all of the weak willed members of Whitebeard's crew to collapse and pass out.
The name of Shank's sword is Gryphon. It's currently unknown if it's a ranked blade, and if it is, what rank it holds. He's a master swordsman, although the precise extent of these skills are currently unknown. Because he has a longtime rivalry with Dracule Mihawk, the current greatest swordsman in the world, it has been speculated by fans that Shanks was the previous holder of that title, but so far that hasn't been confirmed or denied. He's only seen using his sword two times int he series. Once, during a brief clash with Whitebeard, on the latters ship, and the second time during a brief clash with Akainu, at the tail end of the Marineford War. The only extended fight that's known of where he would have used his sword are the many he had with Mihawk, especially the final battle that Whitebeard referenced, but it has yet to be shown.
- Shanks has several traits that seperate him from the other Four Emperors:
- Shanks is the only member confirmed to have not eaten a Devil Fruit.
- Shanks is the only member who is not an Admiral of a Fleet.
- Shanks is the only member of the original Four Emperors to not be a member of the Rocks Pirates.
- Shanks is the only member of the original Four Emperors to not wear a tattoo.
- Shanks is the only Emperor confirmed to have not been born in the Grand Line, hailing from the West Blue instead.
- In Shanks' bounty of 4,0 48,9 00,000, the 4-8-9 can be read as shi-ya-ku (シヤク). This could refer to his given name "Shanks" (シャンクス Shankusu.
- Shanks is the first character in the series to use Haoshoku Haki.
- In fact, he was the first character to show any form of Haki, in the first chapter no less.
- In the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th Japanese fan polls of most popular characters, he was ranked the 3rd, 7th, 11th, 8th, 14th, and 11th, respectively. Making him the most popular of the Four Emperors in each, and being in the first two the most popular character outside the members of the Straw Hat Pirates.
- In One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3, Shanks' taunt action allows him to put on sunglasses, which is a reference to his Strong World costume.
- Shanks' favorite foods are kimchi fried rice and lobster.
- In the anime, when Ace meets Shanks, it can be seen that Shanks still has both arms, even though he lost his left arm to the Lord of the Coast. This however, appears to be an error. This is corrected in the home release of the episode.
SBS Based Trivia
- According to Oda, Shanks is the one character that resembles himself the most out of all the One Piece characters, because of his cool and calm personality and stand-out attire.
- In reference to Shanks and Buggy's "which is colder" question, a fan asked Oda who got it right. Oda went on to explain that the Arctic was just a mass of ice and the Antarctic was a continent, which was made of land. Since land is colder than the sea (and the Arctic is frozen sea whereas the Antarctic is frozen land), Shanks was correct and the South Pole is colder.
- If a child asked Shanks for the Gomu Gomu no Mi, he would tease them about being ten years too young to eat one.
Devil Fruit Users