|“||What a drag.||„|
|~ Shikadai's famous quote|
He is voiced by Kenshō Ono, known for voicing Giorno Giovanna in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, in the Japanese version of the anime, and by Todd Haberkorn in the English version of the anime.
Shikadai follows the customary look of the Nara, with his black, spiky hair tied up in a ponytail. His eyes, however, are teal and shaped like his mother's. His facial expressions also favour his mother's. He is quite tall for his age. He wears a dark outfit with a light cream-coloured jacket over it, which bears the rudimentary form of his clan's crest. Also as customary of his clan, both of his ears are pierced with grey stud earrings. In Boruto, he wears an unbuttoned black coat with a white shirt.
Shikadai takes after his father, Shikamaru, in several ways, possessing a similar relaxed, unenthusiastic personality. He finds participating in activities to be very tiresome and is quick to shirk out of them as seen when he rejected an invitation from Inojin to train after school.
Stemming from his lax nature, he also isn't one to properly respect rank, greeting his uncle — the Kazekage — plainly before flatly asking for his other uncle Kankurō. He also showed himself to be blunt and outspoken like his mother, telling Boruto that pursuing a prank during the Five Kage Summit was stupid.
Shikadai is referred to as a gamer and seems to have a strong moral code. For instance, he was personally offended when Boruto revealed he was cheating in the video game the two play with Inojin. He also gave up against Boruto, who he did not know was cheating at the time, in their Chūnin Exam fight because he felt that as a gamer, one should understand when to give up to fight another day when the odds are overwhelmingly against you. He also has a fierce rivalry with Boruto.
Shikadai has been hailed as a prodigy amongst the Nara clan, having inherited his father's intellect and possessing the Kazekage bloodline. During the Chūnin Exams, he was able to defeat Sunagakura's top genin Yodo, and was considered well-above the level of Kumo-elite genin Yurui.
- His Japanese voice actor, Kenshō Ono is best known for voicing as Giorno Giovanna from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, Hakuryuu Ren from Magi, Alain from Pokemon, Satoru Kamio from Gingitsune, Yuya Sakaki from Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V and Joseph from Maria the Virgin Witch.
- His English voice actor, Todd Haberkorn, who also voiced Haruka Nanase in Free!, Natsu Dragneel in Fairy Tail, Korekiyo Shinguji in Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony, Obito Uchiha in Naruto, Death the Kid in Soul Eater, Ayato Kirishima in Tokyo Ghoul, Teruteru Hanamura in Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, Aru Akise in Mirai Nikki, Allen Walker in D.Gray Man, Tsukune Aono in Rosario + Vampire, Kimihiro Watanuki in xxxHolic, Ling Yao in Fullmetal Alchemist, Brainy Smurf in Robot Chicken, Keroro in Sgt Frog, Jaco in Dragon Ball Super, Grey Matter and Slapback in Ben 10 Reboot, Firo Prochainezo in Baccano!, Raki in Claymore, Kinji Tohyama in Aria the Scarlet Ammo, Shirō Iori and Ryōsuke Todoroki in Kill la Kill, Pop in Glitter Force, Italy in Hetalia, Khamsin Nbh'w in Shakugan no Shana, Sparrow Hood in Ever After High, Rowen J. Ilbert in Tales of Xillia, Yamato Akitsuki in Suzuka, Keisuke Takahashi in Initial D, Keisuke Takahashi in Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World, Digimon Emperor in Digimon Adventure 02, Nobuyuki Sugou in Sword Art Online, Judar in Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, Puppetmon in Digimon Fusion, Metodey in Fire Emblem: Three Heroes, Shockwave in War for Cybertron, Android 19 in Dragon Ball Z, Ain in Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne, Nero in One Piece, Assassin in Fate/stay night, Baatar Jr. in The Legend of Korra, Jadeiete in Sailor Moon Crystal, Bellion in The Seven Deadly Sins, Genthru in Hunter x Hunter, Aleistor Chamber in Black Butler, Kyrie Illunis in Sands of Destruction and Masao Murasako in Shiki.
- Boruto mentions that Shikadai was very excellent in using the Wind Release when they were younger.
- Shikadai was briefly considered as a contender for the position of Kazekage as his Uncle Gaara had no living heirs at the time. But this has most likely chanced do the fact that Gaara adopting a son named Shinki but it's not clear if he's elidable for the role or the process has changed.
- Like his father, Shikadai was promoted to the rank of Chūnin before anyone in his graduation class, this is do to the leadership and ingenuity during the Chūnin Exams just like his father.