|“||If you wanna stop this, then stand up! Because I've just got one thing to say to you! Never forget who you want to become!||„|
|~ Shoto Todoroki to Tenya Iida in "From Todoroki to Iida".|
Shoto Todoroki (轟焦凍) is one of the main protagonists and tetartagonist in the manga and anime series, My Hero Academia. He is a student at U.A. High School training to become a Pro Hero. He got into U.A. through official recommendations. He is also Midoriya's second best friend and rival.
He is voiced by Yūki Kaji in the Japanese version of the anime, and by David Matranga in the English version of the anime.
Shoto has a cold, aloof personality which stems from his harsh upbringing. He is quite seasoned in battle, being able to stay calm and composed even while fighting real villains. Though brutal in combat, he is well grounded on the ethics of heroism, only wishing to subdue his frozen opponents as opposed to killing them by prolonging their frozen states. After the events of the U.A. Sports Festival, Shoto still has a distant attitude but has become noticeably more sociable, even gaining a sense of humor and occasionally smiling.
Shoto had a deep loathing for his fire power, which he inherited from Endeavor, as it symbolized his father's wickedness towards him and his mother as well as what he was born to be: a tool to surpass All Might, a fate that he detests. As such, Shoto decided to rely only on his ice power and never to use his fire power in combat, going so far as to cover his left torso and arm with ice in his first Hero Costume to symbolize his rebellion against his father.
During his match with Izuku Midoriya in the Sports Festival, Izuku's speech made the memory of his mother's supportive words resurface, and for the first time, he used his fire power in combat. After the battle, Shoto had mixed feelings about using his left side, but after reconciling with his mother, Shoto eventually came to terms with using his fire power. Despite being scarred by her when he was a kid, Shoto showcases no hard feelings towards his mother.
However, Shoto still harbors a grudge towards Endeavor, even if he respects his father's ability as a Hero, admitting to himself that such hatred can't vanish so easily. Having been denied a normal childhood so that his father could train him to realize his own selfish ambitions, Shoto still holds various psychological scars, which tend to emerge back into his mind when others compare him to Endeavor. Because of this and Izuku's influence, Shoto now strives to become a Hero, but without walking through the same path his father did.
- Shoto greatly resembles Zuko from Avatar, The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra series:
- Both Shoto and Zuko come from dysfunctional families due to having abusive fathers. Shoto was abused due to his father's harsh training ,while Zuko was abused due to being inferior in his family.
- Both have a fire-wielding power character (even Icy Hot also have Ice quirk and more prefer a Ice Quirk)
- Both have a burn-induced scar over their left eye caused by one of his parents.
- Both have a cold and distant attitude but become more open and become friends with the protagonist.
- Both separate from their mother when they still young and later reunite again many years later.
- However, there are some differences:
- Shoto at his first debut was not a villain, while Zuko is a redeemed villain who turned into a protagonist.
- Shoto has no siblings who become evil characters due his father influence, while Zuko has a sister (Azula) who become secondary antagonist. (If the theory about Dabi's identity being his missing brother, Touya Todoroki, then this statement would be incorrect)
- Shoto receive his scar from his mother, who suffer mental breakdown and unstable after she see Shouto left-side who resemble her abusive husband and while Zuko receive his scar from Ozai. Additionally, Shoto's mother apologized for her actions and has mostly recovered from her psychological trauma, while Zuko's father never shows an ounce of remorse for abusing his son..
- Shoto has the power to manipulate both fire and ice, while Zuko doesn't have ice-manipulation power, because he is not a waterbender.
- Shoto shares similarities with Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat.
- Both have ice powers.
- While Shoto had no siblings turned evil, Sub-Zero had a brother, Bi-Han who became Noob Saibot.
- Shouto shares similarities with Sanji from One Piece.
- Both Shoto and Sanji love deeply for their mothers for their kindness and compassion.
- Both hates their fathers due to their abusing methods of training from their own childhood and done such bad things (Shoto's flame quirk burnt his left face and Sanji was locked up in the dungeon).
- Both are a fire-wielding power character.
- They were both being used by their fathers as tools for their goals which ended up to their failures.
- Both have a cold and distant attitude but become more open and become friends with the Protagonist.
- Both separate from their mother when they were children (Shoto's mother was send into the hospital due to his father and Sanji's mother died due to the side effect of the counter drug).
- Shoto shares similarities with Sasuke Uchiha from Naruto.
- Shoto shares similarities with Weiss Schnee from RWBY.
- Both of them comes from high-class families.
- Both are high-achieving students.
- Both have ice-power abilities.
- Both have a scar on their left eye.
- Both have cold and distant attitude but become more open and friends with the protagonists. Izuku to Shoto and Ruby to Weiss.
- Both have abusive fathers. Enji to Shoto and Jacques to Weiss.
- Both have separated from their mothers and later reunites again many years later. Rei to Shoto and Willow to Weiss.
- Both have sisters whom they cared about them. Fuyumi to Shoto and Winter to Weiss.