- NOTE: This article is about the incarnation of Sonic from the Sonic the Hedgehog (2020). The mainstream version can be found here: Sonic the Hedgehog.
|“||This is my power. And I’m not using it to run away anymore. I’m using it to protect my friends!||„|
|~ Sonic confronting Dr. Robotnik|
Sonic the Hedgehog is the titular protagonist of the 2020 live action film with the same name. He is an anthropomorphic hedgehog born with the power of supersonic speed, from a different planet who was forced to leave his homeworld from evil forces, and build a life for himself on Earth. He is the film's adaptation of Sonic the Hedgehog from the video game and the archenemy of Dr. Ivo Robotnik.
He was portrayed by Ben Schwartz via voice and motion capture as a teenager and by Benjamin L. Valic as a child.
Sonic was born on an unnamed planet where he spent his childhood living under the watchful eye of an anthropomorphic owl named Longclaw. He possessed a great power which gave him super speed but also made him a target for a tribe of echidnas that sought to take his power for themselves. One day, Sonic raced across his island home to bring Longclaw a flower, much to the owls chagrin, as she feared he might have been followed. Sonic expressed confidence that he was moving too fast to be seen, but Longclaw notices that echidna tribesmen have surrounded her house and grabs the hedgehog as she takes flight in an attempt to escape. Unfortunately, Longclaw is shot down from the sky by an arrow, so she uses a golden warp ring to open a portal to Earth and tells Sonic that as long as others know about his power, he will always be in danger by those seeking to take it. She then instructs him to take her bag of Gold Rings and head through the portal so he can live safely in a world oblivious to his existence.
Sonic is left alone on Earth to build his new life there in secret, living in a cave for many years and watching the citizens of Green Hills, Montana from afar. None of them knew about Sonic's existence besides an elderly man called Crazy Carl who claims him to be a blue devil. Among the citizens of Green Hills, Sonic's favorite people are police Sheriff Tom Wachowski and his wife the veterinarian Doctor Maddie Wachowski. One night, Sonic used his super speed to play round of baseball all by himself and realized just how lonely he really was. He tried to run off his frustrations but ran so fast that he caused an electromagnetic pulse that knocked out power across the Pacific Northwest. This catches the attention of the United States Department of Defense who decide to acquire help from the deranged genius Doctor Robotnik in seeking out what caused the outage.
Sonic immediately becomes distraught as government soldiers begin to comb the area near his cave and reluctantly decides to initiate his back up plan: use a Gold Ring to travel to a seemingly barren planet covered with gigantic mushrooms. Sonic quickly packs the equipment he wants to take but feels it is not safe to open a portal with government soldiers closing in on his location. He instead races into the Wachowski backyard shed to use a Ring, but is discovered by Tom Wachowski who shoots him with a tranquilizer dart. As Sonic passes out, he mumbles the location on Tom's shirt, San Francisco, which opens actives a Warp Ring to the city before he accidentally drops his bag of Rings through it.
Sonic soon awakens inside the Wachowski household and convinces Tom to help him stay hidden from his pursuers just as Robotnik arrives at the front door. Tom tries to hoax Robotnik into leaving as Sonic hides in the attic, but the doctor uses his airborne robot drones to scan the property, forcing the hedgehog to go downstairs to avoid detection. However, when Sonic discovers that Tom was in danger, he reveals himself to Robotnik to save Wachowski's life. Tom uses this distraction to knock Robotnik unconscious before Sonic stops a robot drone from shooting them by hopping into and destroying it.
Although the pair manage to drive out of Greens Hills safely, Tom pulled over to part ways with Sonic, despite the latter having no idea where he must go to reclaim his bag of Rings. He makes a single attempt going to San Francisco on his own using super speed but is unsuccessful, so he persuades Tom to drive him there. On the way, they stop at a bar where Sonic decides to make a bucket list of all the things he wants to do before leaving Earth. He begins to fulfill his list with Tom's help until they soon get involved in a bar fight that Sonic finishes by rearranging things to his advantage within seconds.
Sonic and Wachowski stay the night at an inn before continuing their trip the next day. However Robotnik hones in on their location and sends a remote-controlled truck to stop them. The truck launches a harpoon into Tom's car, causing Sonic to get out and attempt to stop the truck. He tries approaching the pursuing vehicle but looses his footing just as he suddenly builds up energy. Sonic rolls into a ball it protect himself and bowls over the truck on its side. Unfortunately, another vehicle soon emerges from the trucks wreckage to continue the chase. This vehicle fires EMP discs to slow the heroes down, but Sonic uses them to get on top of their pursuer and uses one to disable it. The remote-controlled vehicle separates again only to be spun out by Tom, causing a frustrated Robotnik to deploy a miniature drone to eliminate them. The drone cuts the roof off Tom's car with a laser before Sonic manages to grab it. But the drone to get stuck on his hand and trigger a self-destruct mechanism, leaving him with little time to dispose of it. Sonic succeeds of getting rid of the explosive device just in time but is rendered unconscious when he is blown away by the blast.
Terrified for Sonic's well-being, Tom takes him to Maddie, who was visiting her sister and niece at that time in San Francisco, who manages to revive him. While there, Sonic is granted a gift from Tom and Maddie's niece Jojo in the form of new shoes to replace his worn-out ones. With the new shoes, and Maddie joining Tom in helping Sonic out, they travel to the Transamerica Pyramid, where Tom is able to gain access to the roof due to his position as a law enforcement officer, and Sonic recovers his ring bag.
However, before he can leave for the next world and leave Tom, Maddie, and Earth behind, he is confronted once more by Robotnik, now flying the Prototype with an army of his drones with him. Sonic, in order to save Tom and Maddie's lives, pushes them off the building before using his supersonic speed to take out Robotnik's drones and also save them, but using the quill he captured earlier back at Tom's house, Robotnik is able to enter supersonic speed himself and nearly ruin Sonic's rescue attempt. Sonic manages to get Tom and Maddie, transported by ring portal, safely back to Green Hills, before dealing with Robotnik and the Prototype, having their chase pass through Paris, the Great Wall of China, and the Great Pyramids of Egypt, before Sonic attempts to escape back to Green Hills, but Robotnik manages to land a powerful hit just as Sonic is about to enter the portal, causing Sonic to be mortally wounded and left at Robotnik's mercy as they return to Green Hills.
Robotnik prepares to take Sonic back to be dissected to learn the secrets of his powers. Tom then tries to protect Sonic by attacking Robotnik himself, but is quickly overpowered. However, the people of Green Hills rally to Tom's aid, angry at Robotnik for attacking their Sheriff and Sonic, and when Tom declares Sonic his friend, Sonic gains a miraculous second wind, and soon begins to glow with that same power that gave away his location previously, but now in full control of it, intending not to run, but to protect his friends, and unleashes his fury on the Prototype, severely damaging it before Tom and Sonic open a portal to the mushroom world Sonic intended to travel to previously, but deciding Earth is his home now, with a final, powerful spin attack, Sonic destroys the Prototype and sends it and Robotnik through the portal, never to threaten anyone again.
Some time later, Tom and Maddie reveal to Sonic that they transferred all his stuff from his cave to their attic, making it up so Sonic can use it as his room and live with them from now on, much to his joy. Commander Walters soon stops by himself to reveal to Tom and Maddie that any and all information about recent events regarding Sonic and Robotnik have been erased by authority of the U.S. government, and to keep Tom and Maddie quiet about it, offers them an Olive Garden gift card as thanks. Sonic soon settles into his new life living in Green Hills with Tom and Maddie, now among friends at last, proving that his earlier fears and warning from Longclaw were no longer needed.
Sonic is adventurous, cheeky, lively, fun-loving, and confident. He is a thrill-seeker who enjoys being able to go fast and live freely, which much of his early childhood was spent doing. However, this carefree nature can land him in trouble, as shown when he used his powers in the open despite being told to keep them hidden, allowing an echidna tribe to ambush him and Longclaw.
He is mostly fearless and cool under pressure, mocking and bantering with Dr. Robotnik during their encounters. Sonic is also very compassionate; after saving a turtle on the road, Sonic takes it for a ride so it can be fast for a change (although he accidentally traumatizes it in the process).
After being forced to flee his world and live on Earth for ten years, Sonic became extremely lonely, as he was never able to interact with people lest they attempt to take his powers. His loneliness caused him to sometimes talk to himself when he was alone. It also caused him to long for a real friend to connect with (as highlighted in the bucket list he creates), which he eventually found in the form of Tom Wachowski.
The two quickly bond during their journey to recover Sonic's lost rings, where Sonic gains a better understanding of life on Earth and is thrilled to finally have a friend.
Sonic is very hyperactive and energetic. He constantly moves around at super-speed and does not sit still for long. For example, he could not resist the temptation to party in the Piston Pit.
He is also very interested in Earth's culture, and has picked up many interests and hobbies, such as baseball, playing guitar, watching action movies, and reading comic books. Sonic is very enthusiastic about trying new things and enjoys seeing new places. He is very confident, and he sometimes brags about his speed and skills, giving himself the nickname, the "Blue Blur".
His confidence also extends to pride in his appearance, describing himself as "incredibly handsome". Sonic also shows a clever, resourceful side.
For example, when he was falling off the Transamerica Pyramid and could not reach one of his Rings, he plucked off one of his quills and stuck it through the Ring to get it and save Tom and Maddie.
Sonic is impulsive and tends to act without thinking, leading him to sometimes disobey others, such as when he used his super speed outside when Longclaw told him not to or when he went into the Piston Pit instead of staying in Tom's truck like he told him to. Sonic enjoys giving people nicknames, such as calling Tom "Donut Lord" and Maddie "Pretzel Lady".
He also has a sense of humor, as he enjoys making jokes and pretending to be other people.
Sonic's hobby of watching action movies and reading comics, combined with his lack of experience dealing with humans, gives him a slightly unrealistic view of the world and causes him to occasionally act irrationally, such as mimicking the characters in Speed by starting a fight with people in the Piston Pit instead of leaving the area and avoiding a fight.
Sonic is highly protective of his powers, being willing to spend years running away and living in hiding so that no one would discover or try to steal them. At the climax of his battle against Robotnik, however, he resolves to use them to protect his friends.
Sonic is also known to be friendly towards any animal he comes in contact with. For example, he rescued a turtle from being run over and showed it the joys of his speed.
Another example is when he met Tom's dog Ozzy. Initially, he attempted to put up a jealous front due to Ozzy's status as Tom's best animal friend. However, when Ozzy expresses his like of Sonic by licking him, Sonic found it both gross and touching.
Powers & Abilities
- Superhuman Speed: Sonic's main power. He can move so fast that it looks like time has stopped from his perspective.
- Spin Attack: Sonic's signature move. It has enough force to destroy one of Robotnik's Mobile Vehicles.
- Bio-Electrokinesis: This version of Sonic can emit electricity from his body when using his speed or when he gets very emotional.
- EMP Blast: By running in a circle at top speed, Sonic can generate an EMP blast.
- Superdurability: He is able to dent objects made of metal or stone without sustaining any damage on his body, but a explosion is enough to knock him unconscious.
|“||So, I know what you're thinking. "Why is that incredibly handsome hedgehog being chased by a madman with a mustache from a civil war?" Well to be honest, it feels like I've been running my whole life.||„|
|~ Sonic's opening narration|
|“||No one saw me, I'm too fast. And... I wanted to bring you this.||„|
|~ Young Sonic giving a flower to Longclaw|
|~ Sonic discovered by Tom|
|“||I'm Sonic, a little ball of super energy, in an extremely handsome package!||„|
|~ Sonic's self-introduction|
|“||So, you're supposed to be Tom's "best friend" that he won't shut up about.||„|
|~ Sonic to Tom and Maddie's dog Ozzy|
|“||Guess what, Eggman?! I'm not leaving earth! YOU are! Doughnutlord?||„|
|~ Sonic before banishing Dr. Robotnik into the Mushroom Planet.|
- The film was originally scheduled for release on November 8, 2019. However, after negative reaction to Sonic's previous design in the first trailer, which was released on April 30, Paramount Pictures delayed the film to February 14, 2020, pledging to redesign Sonic.
- Sonic's redesign and Ben's portrayal are well-received by most fans as they felt the blue blur's film appearance were matching his early game's personality.
- However, some fans also feel that Ben's performance makes Sonic sound too whiny in places, and instead wanted either Roger Craig Smith or Jaleel White to take over the role. Jaleel even admitted that he didn't get a call or email from the film's creators, though he's still confident that he is still a Sonic fan in general. The former however approved of Schwartz's preformance.
- And the film's distribution, Paramount Pictures, is the same studio that distributed the teen film Mean Girls (2004) with actress Lacey Chabert who is the voice of Princess Elise in the infamous video game Sonic the Hedgehog (2006).
- When Sonic plays with nunchaku, he wears a headband with the logo from his first game on it.
- Even though Sonic was cared for by Longclaw, the identity of Sonic's biological family is currently unknown in this timeline.
- This is the second incarnation of Sonic to have blue arms, the first being his Sonic Boom counterpart and the first version to have two separate eyes.
- This is also to be the first incarnation of Sonic who wasn't wearing his trademark sneakers. Prior to that, he was wearing boots as a child and unmatchable gray sneakers as a teenager.
- The pose when Sonic dodging one of Dr. Robotnik's laser has a striking resemblance to his official Super Smash Bros. Ultimate render.
- Sonic's bioelectricity control ability maybe inspired by his Sonic X counterpart, where in the episode "Cracking Knuckles", he left a trait of electricity on running.
- Tom Holland, Josh Gad, Chris Pratt, Andy Samberg, Bill Hader, Will Forte, Jim Parsons, Charlie Day, Paul Rudd and Adam Devine were all considered for the role of Sonic.
- Coincidentally, Pratt, Rudd and Hader were also considered for the role of Tom Wachowski.
- Ben Schwartz voices, and also provides the facial motion-capture for Sonic.
- "It is an insane honor, an incredible honor," Ben Schwartz says of being hired to voice Sonic. "I was playing these games as a kid, so the idea that maybe my voice will be the one that brings in a new generation to the Sonic franchise it's incredible. I feel very, very lucky."
- When Sonic starts rolling along the ground, two sounds from the games play simultaneously: the iconic "Spin Attack" sound, and the "Dash Pad" sound.
- When Robotnik shoots missiles at Sonic on the roof of the Transamerica Pyramid, Sonic puts his hands on his hips and taps his foot impatiently, copying his idle animation pose from the games.
- Jim Carrey is Ben Schwartz's favorite actor and hero.
- Artist Tyson Hesse, who worked on previous Sonic the Hedgehog media, was brought on to lead the redesign.
- Sonic is shown sliding underneath a vehicle at one point to escape weapon fire from Robotnik. His pose while sliding is identical to both the sliding part of his somersault animation in the Sonic Advance games and his sliding animation in the modern games, particularly Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colors, and Sonic Generations.
- When Sonic blinks, his upper eyelids are the same color as his fur, while his lower eyelids are the same color as his muzzle. This references how Sonic originally had flesh-colored eyelids that were later changed to fur-colored. On a similar note, when Sonic closes his eyes, one can see a line of small-but-present black eyelashes. He also had these in Sonic Adventure and Sonic X. He also has blue eyelids in Sonic Underground.
- Sonic can't swim in the film, or generally in his video games. However, according to Fay Vass from the British Hedgehog Preservation Society: "Actually, hedgehogs are great swimmers, they only get into trouble when ponds have steep edges and they can't get out. But hedgehogs love a swim."
- Sonic's current video game voice actor Roger Craig Smith approved of Ben Schwartz, who voices Sonic in this movie. The two of them even met in June 2019.
- When Sonic gets a chance to drive as he and Tom flee Robotnik's drone tank, he calls up the Fast and the Furious franchise. "I feel just like Vin Diesel," Sonic says, and echoes Dominic Toretto's refrain throughout the Fast series about how it's all about family.
- Sonic sneaks around the bar in a cowboy hat and baggy shirt. In Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (1993) Sonic was infamous for donning a variety of disguises.
- According to press interviews with IGN, Ben Schwartz's favorite Sonic video game is Sonic & Knuckles (1994). Schwartz owned a Sega Game Gear as a child, and played the handheld port. Just prior to the film's release, Schwartz invested in a Sega Genesis Mini, and talked about beating the original Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
- In a deleted scene, Longclaw actually escapes with Sonic to earth, and the duo live together in hiding. In the end, Longclaw still dies before the main action of the story gets going, but she does so of old age, in Sonic's hideout, with Sonic by her side and caring for her. The majority of the clip is unfinished CGI, clearly this idea was scrapped and replaced with the version we got early on. But not too early. Some of the scene looks to be completely done, or very close to it, and it's complete with the version of Sonic that we got in the film, not the earlier version that was met with an outcry from fans. This means this concept wasn't entirely dropped until some time after the redesign took place.
- As Sonic and Tom fight with Robotnik's drone, Sonic remarks that he "can't believe Amazon is going to deliver packages with these things." Amazon's "Prime Air" program is a very real thing that they're still trying to get off the ground to today.
- Ben Schwartz' 3rd time voice acting in a theatrical film, after Turbo (2013) and The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (2019).
- Sonic is nicknamed "Blue Devil" in the movie by Crazy Carl, which is a reference to the car driven by his robotic nemesis Metal Sonic in the kart racing game Sonic Drift Racing (1995).
- Sonic has some food-related nicknames for people he knows:
- Tom is Donut Lord for how he "interrogates" his donuts
- Maddie is "Pretzel Lady" for how she does yoga on her back porch.
- and he starts calling Dr. Robotnik "Eggman" (a classic name for the character) for how all his drones are egg-shaped.
- Sonic is the fifth character voiced by Ben Schwartz to be associated with the color blue. The other four were: Skidmark in Turbo (2013), Uncle Steve the Troll in Nickelodeon's Wallykazam! (2014) two-parter special Wallykazam!: The Big Goblin Problem (2015), Dewey Duck in DuckTales (2017), and Leonardo in Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2018).
- The Flash is seen to be Sonic's favorite superhero. Both are speedster heroes, obviously.
- Sonic's bare feet are never shown, but they are shown having five toes on Robotnik's foot scan.
- A young Sonic gives Longclaw a sunflower. They can be seen in the first level of Sonic the Hedgehog (1991).
- During his slow-motion moment in the bar fight, Sonic eats chili dogs and utterly enjoys them. Sonic is said to love chili dogs in the video games/cartoons.
- When Sonic wakes up after Maddie administers the smelling salts, his first words are the character's longtime catchphrase, "Gotta go fast!"
- When Sonic moves into Tom and Maddie's attic, he gets a racecar bed, which he had in the Archie Comics "Sonic the Hedgehog" series.
- Sonic's constant distaste for mushrooms and the mushroom planet refers to the Mushroom Hill Zone in Sonic & Knuckles (1994), where Sonic met Knuckles the Echidna.
- In this movie, he seems not to have aqua phobia, due that when he went to the ocean to find his rings, he crashed there but showed no signs of being afraid of water and he was able of taking a a shower. And he may also be able to swim if he isn't afraid of water.