|“||I am Souji Tendou. The man who walks the path of heaven and will triumph over everything.||„|
|~ Souji Tendou|
Souji Tendou, also known as Kamen Rider Kabuto, is the main protagonist of the 2006 tokusatsu television series Kamen Rider Kabuto.
He was portrayed by Hiro Mizushima.
Souji Tendou grew up as happy boy until his parents were killed by Worms that mimicked them. He was raised by his grandmother alongside Juka. When the Shibuya Incident occurs due to a Meteorite crashing onto Earth, drying up the Earth's ocean, Tendou attempts to reach out to his biological sister, Hiyori, but is unable to save her.
At the site, he witnesses the Worms that mimicked his parents injured and desires to kill them to avenge his real parents, but instead he realized that his biological sister, Hiyori, was born through the Worm and decides not to kill them. Later, however, the unstable rubble collapses on Tendou and the copied Kusakabe family, killing the Worms with Tendou injured, attempting to extend his hand out to Hiyori.
Receiving the Zecter Belt
Tendou receives the Zecter Belt in two different instances during the Shibuya incident, creating confusion among viewers. Either instances are a negligible difference on the rest of Tendou's history as it merely changed the origin of him receiving the Zecter belt:
- In one instance, he received the Zecter Belt from the Worm who mimicked his father, who gave it to Tendou. Tendou would then save Hiyori who stuck under rubble after putting on the belt when they get collapsed by the unstable rubble.
- In this instance, it appears that God Speed Love never happened and that the meteorite that hit Earth was the same size as the reduced meteorite remnants of the two meteorites colliding in God Speed Love due to Tendou time travelling. However, it does not explain why a mimicked father of Tendou would randomly have a Zecter Belt when the Zecters themselves were not even in a proper development stage.
- In another instance, during the Shibuya incident, Tendou and Hiyori are trapped by the unstable rubble and an alternate Souji Tendou from the God Speed Love timeline gives the young Souji the Zecter Belt and tells him to put it on. The future Tendou then ceases to exist while the younger Souji puts on the Zecter Belt, granting him enhanced strength and durability as he reaches out to Hiyori and saves her.
- This event appears to make the most logical sense as ZECT higher ups and Arata Kagami, who had his own Kabuto Zecter Belt, were confused at the fact that the Zecter Belt was just recently created while Souji Tendou already had his for years. Another supporting factor is that the timeline portrayed at the end of God Speed Love is identical to that of the TV series.
After the Shibuya event, Tendou grew up raising Juka, while training to become Kabuto. He meets Arata Kagami, a young man who had his wallet stolen by a mugger and tells him that he's the man who walks down the path of heaven. Tendou would become Kabuto when Kagami attempts to be Kabuto due to Tendou also having a Kabuto Zecter Belt much to the latter's surprise.
Once as Kabuto, Tendou would come to clash against ZECT, who desires to retake the Kabuto Zecter and the Kabuto Zecter Belt as Tendou himself was not part of ZECT. He would then work with ZECT temporarily under the psuedonym "Soujiro Tendouji", but later goes solo once more. He would later also ally himself with Drake from time to time, and Kagami, who had now become Gatack, and Tsurugi Kamashiro, who was Sasword. Another thing that Tendou would do is watch over Hiyori, his biological sister.
When Hiyori transforms into a Worm, her life is endangered, forcing Tendou to attempt a Rider Kick on her, but in a strange fate, he found himself comfortable "killing" Hiyori as an alternate Kabuto from the future swaps Hiyori with a Worm right before the kick lands. Tendou reveals his past to Hiyori and how they're related. His mother was pregnant when she was mimicked, so the Worm also carried an unborn Hiyori, and that his real name wasn't Souji Tendou, but rather Souji Kusakabe.
Together with Kagami, the two strive to protect Hiyori from all worms so that she can live her life in peace, however, Hiyori is attracted to Area X and disappears with the test subject of the Hyper Zecter, flinging the two to the edge of the universe.
Tendou, after gaining all of the Zecters through different means, attempts to trade them all for the Hyper Zecter, but is unable to as it is destroyed when the suitcase controlling it was rigged. However, a past version of the Hyper Zecter comes to the aid of Tendou, allowing him to Kabuto Hyper Form, granting him "Hyper Clock Up", which slows the flow of time and can also time travel, while also increasing the output of his Rider Kick.
A mysterious man called Daigo Tachikawa tells Tendou to stop collecting the Zecters, saying that if the Riders do not fight Worms, the Natives will be in trouble. Tendou realizes that Tachigawa is a 'Native' and guards him, as Tachigawa seems to know Hiyori's whereabouts. Riku Kagami calls on Tendou and tells Tendou the story of The Red Shoes, explaining that the Zecters will drive them insane if they refuse to fight Worms. Tachikawa referred to Tendou by his real name, Souji Kusakabe, the one who is chosen by Kabuto, the god of the sun who controls the light.
After Kabuto saves Daigo from a group of Worms, he experiences the 'berserk switch', almost killing Daigo in the process. The Hopper Riders arrive on scene and defeat them instead, leaving with a cruel laugh. Unfortunately, Tachikawa is still killed by Cochlea Worm after trying to escape. He tells Tendou to 'find the solar eclipse' and dies. Tendou and Kagami then promise to kill each other if they were ever under the effects of the Red Shoes System again. Tendou then decided to release all the Zecters that he has obtained from the others.
Later on, Tendou is challenged by two Executive Worms to defeat a powerful Worm without the use of Hyper Clock Up, and in return the Executives would tell him the secrets of the Natives. Tendou remarked that his power always evolving and is faster than light and called upon the Perfect Zecter. Utilizing the power of all 4 Zecters, he defeated Lepotophyes Worm, but was taken through an involuntary Hyper Clock Up to a place 'devoid of all time' with the solar eclipse.
After seeing a fleeting image of Hiyori with another man, he is pulled back into his dimension. Tendou is then left wondering why he still cannot control Hyper Clock Up. Back at the Bistro La Salle, Rena challenges Tendou once more in hopes of taking the Hyper Zecter, but her memory gets erased due to Tendou's Hyper Sting attack. Drake and Kabuto end up fighting each other because Daisuke doesn't believe that Rena is still evil. After Rena loses her fragment of the Shibuya Meteorite, Tendou picks it up and is taken through another Hyper Clock Up to Hiyori's dimension again. After confronting his Worm counterpart, Kamen Rider Dark Kabuto, their Rider Kick collision forces Kabuto back to the real world.
Tendou discovers the secret behind the Masked Rider System after conversing with Kagami, learning that it was created by Natives and given to humans who in turned formed ZECT. Through the use of this technology, they fight alien Worms and protect the Natives. It is also revealed that Tendou received his Kabuto Buckle from the Native who mimicked his father. They are also able to conclude that the Natives arrived on a meteorite 35 years ago to assist the humans with the Masked Rider System. Even after learning all this, Tendou's sole resolve is still to defeat all Worms so that Hiyori may be safe.
Tendou meets Reiji Nogi as well, and seemingly holds up a much better fight than Kagami until Nogi activates Freeze, defeating the power of Hyper Clock Up, forcing Tendou back into Rider form. During their second battle, Tendou learns from his mistakes and anticipates Nogi's use of Freeze. After getting knocked back, Tendou's Hyper Shooting is still active and stuns Nogi temporarily. Tendou is then able to use the Perfect Zecter's Maximum Hyper Cyclone to defeat Cassis Worm Dimidius, only to have him evolve into a stronger form, Cassis Worm Gladius.
Kabuto and Dark Kabuto meet again during episode 43, and this time, Tendou wants to purposely lose to Dark Kabuto so that he may somehow discover Hiyori's location. However, after realizing this plan made him seem like a coward and a small man, his fighting spirit returns and he defeats Dark Kabuto, only to be interrupted by Hiyori who transforms into Sisrya Worm. She states that she is fine with living in another dimension and proceeds to defend Dark Kabuto. After Hiyori leaves, Tendou explains to Kagami that the only way for her to be happy is to let her leave with the fake Kabuto. Renge arrives with news however, that the entrance to the other world is opened when the solar eclipse occurs. Soon after, Tendou and Kagami both rush for Area Z in hopes of defeating Cassis Worm. There, they see Sasword defending Misaki using his life, and Kagami tells Tendou that Hiyori is acting the same way. She doesn't want to hurt Tendou anymore and so she tries to convince herself that she doesn't want to come back. Tendou, moved by this, leaves and goes after Hiyori as a solar eclipse starts.
After chasing Hiyori back to her dimension, Tendou is able to convince her that Worms are not the evil ones, only the ones that wish to do harm are, and he will always protect her and be by her side. Tendou then talks about how Riders fight for the good of humanity, and she will always be protected. After realizing the one who really cares about her is Tendou, she leaves Dark Kabuto and returns to the human world. Kabuto then goes to find Gatack, on the brink of defeat. Coordinating a three-way Rider Kick with Kick Hopper and Gatack, they are able to neutralize Cassis Worm while Hyper Kabuto finishes him off with Maximum Hyper Cyclone. After discovering that Hiyori has been injured once again, he takes her to hospital, but she seemingly hides the fact that Dark Kabuto was the one that injured her. Leaving Hiyori, Tendou, along with Riku and Mishima, meet with Negishi, possibly the leader of the Natives. He asks Tendou if he will help the Natives, and then decides to be Tendou's fan.
Soon after, massive groups of Worms begin appearing again, and Tendou goes to defeat them. Tendou attempts to recruit other Riders in an effort to fight the Worms, but when he appears before Kageyama and Yaguruma, he finds them attempting to regain their darkness and quickly leaves, thinking that they are crazy. Tendou meets Nogi once again, this time as Cassis Worm Clipeus, but is unable to fight him as Nogi runs away soon after. After conversing with Kagami and Misaki back at the Bistro, Tendou learns Tsurugi is a Worm and automatically decides to defeat him. Kagami however, disagrees, saying there is still good in him.
While Kagami leaves to fight Clipeus, Tendou goes and meets Jiiya, learning of a promise that he must fulfill. Tendou meets Tsurugi after talking with Jiiya and agrees to trade all the Zecters in exchange for Kagami's life. At the last moment, the Zecters are able to escape, and Tendou engages Scorpio Worm in battle. Preparing for the final blow using the Perfect Zecter, Tsurugi suddenly appears from Scorpio Worm telling Tendou to fulfill his promise. Understanding that Tsurugi wants to destroy all Worms, Tendou activates Maximum Hyper Typhoon, slashing through Scorpio Worm's body.
As Riku announces that the threat of the Worms will finally come to an end to the public, ZECT begins handing out Worm identification necklaces that alert the wearer of nearby Worms. Upon learning this, Tendou begins destroying the necklaces. By destroying the necklaces, the public begins to fear and hate Kabuto. Kabuto and Dark Kabuto once again do battle, interrupting Tendou's quest to destroy the necklaces. Anticipating Dark Kabuto's attack method, Kabuto is able to defeat him by using Hyper Clock Up along with the Maximum Hyper Typhoon. Returning to destroying the necklaces, Gatack tries to persuade Kabuto to stop, but Kabuto simply tells him something is not right about the necklaces and continues destroying them until a blocked bullet from Tadakoro's gun goes stray and hits Renge. Kabuto then fires at Gatack and escapes the area, leaving an infuriated Tadakoro to care for an injured Renge.
Continuing on his mission of destroying the Worm identification necklaces, Tendou ends up rescuing Dark Kabuto from the clutches of Mishima and Negishi, who have taken over ZECT. After saving Dark Kabuto, Gatack finds Kabuto and demands to know the reason behind the destruction of the necklaces. Kabuto reveals that the necklaces are turning humans into Natives and must be destroyed. Not believing this, Gatack attacks Kabuto and defeats him with the help of the ZECT Troopers. Lying under the rubble of the battlefield, Tendou recalls his words to Hiyori of him always being by her side. As he reaches for a lone flower, the rubble from atop him falls and apparently crushes him. It is revealed that Tendou was indeed still alive after all. He uses the very same lone flower to destroy the controls, causing the meteorite that was turning humans into Natives to overload.
Afterwards, Tendou gives a powerful speech to convert the Native ZECT Troopers to his side. Then Hyper Kabuto defeats Mishima/Gryllus Worm together with Gatack, escaping the first explosion as an irritated Negishi was intend to make Tendou pay for ruining everything he sought to obtain. Dark Kabuto then rushes out at the last moment, telling Tendou to protect their world as he drags Negishi back into the explosion that kills them both. Realizing the battle is over, Tendou releases the Kabuto Zecter, and Kagami soon follows suit, the two then watch the Zecters fly away to an unknown destination.
Tendou then tells Kagami to listen to what he is about to say, for he will only do so once. Tendou then goes on to say that to walk the same path is merely a test of perseverance. Tendou then says, "But the ones reaching different paths together are..." Kagami then interrupts, by finishing it with "friends", and asking him if his grandmother gave him this quote. Tendou smiles and states that those are his words. The two are then greeted by Tadakoro, Renge, and Misaki. Renge leaps to Tendou and gives him a hug, causing Tendou to nearly fall backwards in surprise. Tendou then resumes a normal life. During the epilogue, Tendou is shown in Paris improving his cooking skills, giving his trademark introduction to a Frenchman who recognized him and asked him if he's the famous Souji Tendou.
Souji Tendou (天道 総司, Tendō Sōji), the Kabuto Zecter's wearer, is a mysterious, quiet 21-year old man who often seems to follow monk-like philosophies of peace. His name literally means "Heavenly path, rules over all" and he always uses it to introduce himself ("Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything").
Tendou often spouts amazingly appropriate zen-like phrases he supposedly learned from his grandmother, prefacing them with "Grandmother said this". He also often does a 'point to the sky' pose, usually after he defeats a Worm or introduces himself. Tendou has no actual job and doesn't attend college because he believes that he is destined for something bigger (which is becoming Kabuto).
Despite having many talents (from cooking to hairstyling to excelling at various sports to the extent that he can handle entire teams alone), he is usually uninterested in pursuing anything until his belt activates. He calls himself a "National Treasure" and "Universal Treasure". Tendou stays in a big home with his little sister Jyuka, loves cooking, and seems to have an interest in Kagami's co-worker, Hiyori. As a result, he is a regular customer at Bistro La Salle.
Because of his abilities and outlook, combined with his talent of being far ahead of those around him, Tendou is somewhat rude, and exceedingly arrogant at first glance. However, this serious personality holds back the caring emotions he has for others.
His feelings for his two sisters is among the few things that can break his serious demeanor, as Kusakabe Hiyori is also Tendou Souji's little sister. However, Souji's parents were murdered and mimicked by Natives years before the Worms arrived on Earth, and although the original Kusakabe Hiyori died with them before birth she was soon "reborn" as a Native/Worm.
Tendo has been called a "first-rate human" by Masato Mishima: he has a wide range of skills, and has repeatedly shown himself to be at peak levels of physical and mental condition. One of his most noticeable traits is his ability to stay calm and collected during any battle, which has allowed him to win virtually every battle he has been in.
- Peak Human Condition: Tendo through intense training such as push-ups with single hand, pull-ups, boxing etc. for seven years, in order to become a better fighter. His physical include his strength, speed, durability, agility, stamina and reflexes is far beyond normal people, he represents the pinnacle of human physical prowess all of which have naturally heightened his abilities to the highest levels of peak human potential and even on par with the most powerful worms include Tsurugi Kamishiro and Reiji Nogi in their human form. As he can knock out a single person with only one hit, from normal police to trained ZECT troopers which they are wearing armor. Tendo can performed various of sports at a top level including football, basketball, volleyball, table tennis, kendo, bowling (scoring perfectly), fencing and baseball, only rivaled by Tsurugi Kamishiro who is a Scorpion Worm but Tendo is able to surpass him in fencing. Tendo is able to fight or do sports for long periods of time without showing any sign of fatigue. Tendo also shown that he is hardly injured even suffering from fierce attack. An impressive feat has shown that his physical condition is on par with Reiji Nogi who is a Cassis Worm in his human form, Tendo without transform is able to fight against him in his human form, which previously Nogi is able to utterly overpower Kamen Rider Gatack and defeated him while the former is still in his human form but the latter is transformed. Even he was fatally wounded (everyone thought he was dead) after the battle between him and Kamen Rider Gatack which cause him trapped under the rubble, Tendo's resilience enabled him to survive stockpile of heavy rubble compress and crush on him, he then managed to escape and healed up rapidly without leaving a trace of injury only within several days. His conditioning lets him recover from most injuries very quickly, though not superhumanly.
- Master Acrobat: Tendo is proven very agile and evasive, able to fluidly dodge attacks from multiple directions with coordinated flips, twists, and sharp turns without losing balance. He often utilizes these talents in combat for both evasive and offensive purposes.
- Honed Senses: Tendo is able to pick up danger before anyone else in his vicinity does, showing noticeably sharp hearing and sight. His acute skills of perception offer aid in otherwise detrimental situations. Tendo reflexes and agility can easily dodges the pinpoint knife attack by a pickpocket while carrying a bowl with tofu inside, and dodge bullet fire by Kamen Rider Drake even though he is untransformed. He can easily detect if he is following by someone or hiding away from him. He can catch four dishes that accidentally fell off by Jiiya easily. Moreover, Tendo easily dodge Renge Takatori's assassinate from behind even though she is trained perfectly which able to surpass most of ZECT troopers.
- Master Hand-To-Hand Combatant/Martial Artist: Tendo is extraordinarily skilled hand-to-hand combatant and martial artist, he analyzes the fighting style of the opponents and easily defeat them. Tendo's style is extremely unpredictable, proven as flexible and precise in his maneuvers, easily changing tactics and attack patterns to suit the situation to systematically take down his foes. Therefore, he is being able to swiftly overpower normal human and trained ZECT troopers without transformed, most Worms or even other ZECT Riders with ease. In fact, even when untransformed, he is capable of fighting just as effectively as ever. He presumably be the strongest hand-to-hand combatant among all Kamen Riders.
- Weapon Proficiency: Tendo is proficient in handling any weapon including gun, knife and sword when battling worms or ZECT Riders. He has shown using sword better than Tsurugi Kamishiro as they have a duel in fencing which Tendo won. He also knows how to maximize the use of the weapon's properties, as shown when he uses his Hyper Zecter to counter Cassis Worm's time-stopping ability.
- Genius-Level Intellect: Tendo is an extraordinarily intelligent individual., he always aims himself to become perfect in all aspect (which he actually did). Hence, he is very sharp-witted, methodical and confident man, alert and adaptive to the situation. He is highly tactical, both in preparation and while in action, always remain calm even in critical and dangerous situation. Hence, able to quickly analyze the situation and how best to handle it. Some manifestations of this are his exceptionally perfect charisma, eloquence, leadership skills, deductive/analytical skills, and tactical genius. He has extraordinary perception that allowed him to quickly and easily deduce and analyze people who are mimic by worms. He masters almost any kind of sports including football, basketball, volleyball, table tennis, kendo, bowling, fencing and baseball. He also masters in cooking and playing the piano. Tendo is the first one who see through Negishi master plan as Tendo deduce the Worm identification necklaces was actually Native necklaces which turns any human into Native Worm, not even Riku Kagami who is the leader of ZECT and the others ZECT members including Syuichi Tadokoro, Yuzuki Misaki and Arata Kagami know. He presumably be the third most intelligent character among all Kamen Riders, with only Kamen Rider Build surpassing him in science and Takeshi Hongo who has an IQ of 600.
- Master Tactician/Strategist: Tendo is an excellent strategist, he can instantly create strategies and plans several steps ahead of his enemies and allies alike. He is able to formulate battle strategies and his brilliant tactical sense allows him to alter near any strategy to fit the changing needs of the situation and has demonstrated the ability to quickly process multiple information streams and rapidly respond to any changing tactical situations by creating perfect winning strategies rapidly. For example, Tendo has been able to catch the Cassis Worm - who has the ability to freeze time - off-guard through various tactics. He also able to predict Dark Kabuto's plan accurately as Dark Kabuto wants to use a self sacrifice attack by smashing Kabuto to the ground and having the advantage in Masked Form. However Tendo already predict his plan and able to counter attack him which completely catch the latter off guard and won easily.
- Expert Leader: Despite preferring to work alone, Tendo is a highly effective and capable leader when the situation requires. He leads the Shadow troopers into victory against Worms, and his leadership ability is instrumental in the mission to stop Worms from killing the humans. Masato Mishima stated that Shun Kageyama's leadership abilities is far inferior than Tendo's. He also led Kagami, Misaki and Renge as a team to investigate Seika Academy middle school division effectively, they successfully find the school's director is manipulating behind the scenes and eliminate the worm afterwards.
- Expert Pianist: Tendo can play the piano very well as he play duet with Tsurugi Kamishiro with a difficult piano piece even without preparation.
- Multilingualism: Tendo speaks his native Japanese, as well as speaking many languages fluently, including Italian, French and English.
- Master Chef: Tendo has consistently proven himself to be an exceptional cook, having been taught by his grandmother and secretly self-learning from Jiiya's cooking book. After Tendo acquired training from Jiiya's twin brother which he learns the true purpose of cooking, he is worthy to wield the legendary white knife and his cooking skills have improved tremendously. He finally beat Ikesu Isshiro who is a worm with enhance senses and a master chef, enable to beat all his opponents including Jiiya. His cooking ability is rivaled only by Jiiya and Hiyori.
- Master Spy: Tendo is very elusive. He can sneak in and out of most guarded buildings silently and breaching high-security facilities with ease without being detected, follow his targets and sneak at the back of people for long periods of time unnoticed, and quickly disappear from sight even in broad daylight. Tendo's remarkable speed and almost ape-like agility allow him to move away from the sight of others and stalk enemies from the shadows and higher vantage points. For example, he is managed to infiltrate So Yaguruma's flawless security team to reveal the Worm, and able to sneak behind Kageyama (who is supposedly a trained ZECT agent) and leaves without any trace.
- Master of Disguise: Tendo is adept to disguise as different kind of jobs in order to infiltrate different organizations and easily gain the trust from the superiors, such as become the leader of Shadow troopers to know more information about ZECT and worms, disguise as high ranking police officer from central station to investigate the upper ranks of the police, and as chaplain and doctor to investigate who is the real worm.
- Master Escapologist: Tendo is a master escape artist, able to free himself from various confinements. He escapes from the ZECT building easily when he is being held captive, even more impressive feats which he manages to escape from stockpile of heavy rubble compress and crush on him.
- Indomitable Will: Tendo has tremendous determination and strength of will, which make him an extremely formidable opponent, one who absolutely refuses to hunker down and give up, even when placed against seemingly insurmountable odds which is known to keep fighting to the end. He always said to Kagami that even if the world became his enemies, he all alone didn't give up even in the end. In the final battle, Tendo refuses to give up even though the winning side is on the Native Worm as many humans have already turned into Native Worm.
- Overprotective: If Tendo ever notice if any of his sisters is endangered, he sometimes will lose his calm and act recklessly to face the problems.
- Kabuto Zecter - Kabuto's transformation device
- Rider Belt - Kabuto's transformation belt
- ZECT Mizer - A device that deploys minidrones
- Hyper Zecter - Kabuto's transformation device to become Hyper Form
- Kabuto Kunai Gun - Kabuto's personal weapon
- Perfect Zecter - Kabuto Hyper Form's personal weapon
- Kabuto Extender - Kabuto's Rider Machine
Kamen Rider X
Kamen Rider Amazon
Kamen Rider Super-1
Kamen Rider ZX
Kamen Rider Black/RX
Kamen Rider Kuuga