He is a nerdy high school student who loves to play video games. He got detention for helping his friend Anthony "Fridge" Johnson with his homework by writing them for him as cheating.
Spencer was afraid of just about everything, as he was shown in the beginning to be shy, awkward and a bit cowardly. He also had allergies which he needed Claritin for and puts hand sanitizer everywhere on his body. He also gets surprised whenever he sees an animal nearby. But when he turned in to Dr. Bravestone, he was the opposite.
During the film, despite his shyness and cowardice, he was often the one to take charge (mostly because he was the most experienced in video gaming). He understood how the video game worked, was the one to explain that the levels would get harder as they progressed and deduced that if any of them lost all three lives, then they would be killed off for real (which was proven when Alex was stung by a mosquito, costing him his last life and nearly died).
After his adventures in the video game, he is more confident, revives his friendship with Fridge. and starts dating Martha Kaply.
Spencer and Fridge were friends back in Middle School, but for an unspecified time, Fridge, in Spencer's words, 'thinks he's not cool enough to hang out with him, so he pretended not to even know him anymore'. In the beginning of the film, despite Spencer's attempts at friendship and doing his homework for him, Fridge would often brush him off.
During their argument, Fridge blamed Spencer for him getting kicked off the football team and admitted that he saw him as nothing more than an 'annoying kid he's been trying to shake since 7th grade'.
Over the course of the film, their friendship slowly starts to resurface; this is most exemplified when Fridge gives Spencer a pep talk after he admits he was too scared to continue the final level since he was on his last life. After leaving the game, Fridge and Spencer have become friends again.
At gym, Spencer notices that Martha is having an argument with the gym teacher Coach Webb and admires her for it. He even admits to his admiration for her when they went to detention. At certain points in the film, Spencer and Martha expresses their feelings toward each other and at the end, they kiss each other. This indicates that they are now a couple.
- He is the only character without a specific weakness in the film, however, the official site adds generosity to his weakness statistics.
- Regardless of having no apparent weakness, he is not invincible and can still be killed.
- Bravestone is likely the main protagonist of Jumanji's video game form.
- At first, Spencer didn't want to leave the video game world as he likes his video game look. He even wanted Martha Kaply as Ruby Roundhouse to stay with him. But Martha declined and eventually Spencer changed his mind.
- His symbol on the closing credits next to his actor's credit is a Squirrel, referencing Spencer's fright of the Squirrel at the Vreeke House and when being spooked by another Squirrel at the Jaguar Shrine.
- He has similarities to Indiana Jones and Rick O'Connell.
- In Jumanji: The Next Level, Spencer gets a new avatar Ming Fleetfoot while his grandfather Eddie Gilpin becomes Bravestone.