|“||From now on Spider-Woman fights back!||„|
|“||It's funny. I've been trying so hard for normal. Quit the Avengers. Moved into the office. Started this street-level thing with Urich. And well... try as I might. Normal has eluded the Spider-Woman. But this little guy here. Maybe he's got a shot at it. Maybe I can give him normal.||„|
|~ Jessica speaking of her son, Gerald.|
Spider-Woman (real name Jessica Miriam "Jess" Drew) is a fictional superheroine in Marvel comics. She is the first Spider-Woman in the Marvel Universe, an ally of Spider-Man and his numerous spider allies, and member of the Avengers, Lady Liberators, and Daughters of Liberty.
She is the daughter of Jonathan and Meriem, and was injected with a serum made of the blood of several uncommon species of spiders after being effected by Uranium. After her age accelerated, she was taken under HYDRA until she refused to assassinate Nick Fury, and later left and became the superheroine Spider-Woman.
Jessica Drew was created by Archie Goodwin and the late Marie Severin, and first appeared in Marvel Spotlight #32 in February of 1977.
There are two conflicting origins surrounding Jessica at the moment (her first one involving her being a super evolved spider being proven false by Modred the Mystic). The following is from the Brian Michael Bendis-Luna Brothers miniseries, "Spider-Woman: Origin": while still in her mother's womb, Jessica's DNA was fused with that of multiple spider species, giving her superhuman abilities, which first manifested when she accidentally zapped her parents with a venom blast out of fear from one of their arguments.
Recruited by her parents's benefactors, HYDRA, Jessica was trained to be one of their best assassins...too bad this would only be a dream. Breaking free from HYDRA, Jessica began her superhero career as Spider-Woman after a few adventures with the Thing, a career cut short after a series of events that caused her to lose most of her powers.
Jessica managed to regain her power thanks to Nick Fury's suggestion of infiltrating the HYDRA. However, it turns out to be a trap set up by the extra-terrestrial shapeshifting race Skrulls. Jessica was captured and locked up in the Skrull spaceship as their queen Veranke took her guise and infiltrated the New Avengers, also getting involved with many events such as the House of M, Civil War and World War Hulk. Eventually, as many Skrulls managed to replace other heroes and manipulating Iron Man's newfound 'authority' after the Civil War, Veranke launched her invasion, but an equally angered group of heroes put a halt on her invasion, especially in the wake of the death of Wasp, and Veranke was personally slain by Norman Osborn/Green Goblin in front of mass media.
In the same time, the ship containing Jessica crashed on Earth and she was free... with the cost that due to Veranke's impersonation, nearly everyone (except some like Wolverine and Ms. Marvel) were suspicious at her, since her face just reminded them as the face of the Skrull Queen that tricked her.
Wolverine managed to secure her a place in the New Avengers as Norman Osborn started his Dark Reign, but Jessica was still distraught at what happened to her and secretly took missions from SWORD to hunt down all Skrulls that wronged her. From a powerful Skrull, she eventually found out the reason why she was picked as the one Veranke impersonated: Because she was so insignificant that no one would care if she went missing. The New Avengers, including those formerly suspicious at her, quickly came to her rescue, proving the Skrull wrong and helped Jessica regain her spirit and she committed herself to fight for the Avengers, instead of SWORD.
After the event Siege, where Osborn's Dark Reign ended, Jessica is finally able to clean the stain in her name and image that Veranke caused. Captain America also handpicked her as a mainline Avenger team member.
Powers and Abilities
- Superhuman strength, endurance, agility, and reflexes
- Venom Blasts
- Bioelectricity induced wall crawling and gliding
- Amplified Hearing
- Increased speed and durability
- Pheremone secretion
- Enhanced immunity system
- Radiation proof
- In Spider-Woman, she was voiced by Joan Van Ark.
- In Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, she was voiced by Tasia Valenza, who also voiced Shaak Ti in Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Poison Ivy in the Arkhamverse.
- In Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, she was voiced by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Kurenai Yūhi in the Naruto series, Motoko Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell series, and Nina Williams in the Tekken series.
- In Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2, she was voiced by E.G. Daily, who also voiced Mockingbird in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Sprocket in Skylanders, and Tommy Pickles in the Rugrats series.
- In Marvel Super Hero Squad Online, she was voiced by Grey DeLisle, who voices Daphne Blake in the Scooby Doo franchise, and also voiced Mandy in The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Frankie Foster in Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends, Sam Manson in Danny Phantom, and Catwoman in numerous media.
- In Lego Marvel Super Heroes, she was voiced by Kari Wahlgren, who also voiced Kitana in Mortal Kombat 11, Starfire in the DC Animated Film Universe and Injustice 2, and Chloe Carmichael in The Fairy OddParents.
- In Spider-Man Unlimited, she was voiced by Laura Bailey, who also voiced Helena Harper in Resident Evil 6, Supergirl in Injustice 2, and Mary Jane Watson in Marvel's Spider-Man.
- In Marvel Avengers Academy, she was voiced by Kiernan Shipka, who also plays Sabrina Spellman in The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.
- In Spider-Woman: Agent of S.W.O.R.D., she was voiced by Nicolette Reed.
- In Wolverine: Weapon X, she was voiced by Lisa Ann Beley.
- Fury's intel classified her as power level 8.
- Ranked 20th on "The Top 50 Avengers" list by IGN.
- Ranked 54th on "100 Sexiest Women in Comics" list by Comics Buyer's Guide.