|“||I just feel terrible we can't help until people are already getting hurt.||„|
|“||I have one memory I would love to forget. But won't forget. It's the reason... I... won't... give... UP!||„|
Courtney Elizabeth Whitmore is a superheroine known as Stargirl (often called "Stars" or "Star") in the DC Comics Universe. Originally known as the second Star-Spangled Kid, she began using the name "Stargirl" after she was presented with the Cosmic Staff by Jack Knight. The character is a creation of Geoff Johns, who based her personality on that of his sister, also named Courtney, who died in the explosion of TWA Flight 800 in 1996.
She was created by Geoff Johns and Lee Moder, and first appeared in Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. # 0 in July of 1999.
Courtney was the daughter of Sam Kurtis and Barbara Whitmore, born and raised in sunny California. Her parents broke up, and Barbara found a new love: Pat Dugan. They moved to Blue Valley, Nebraska. Courtney did not like the move, and she did not like her new stepdad. She did make new friends quickly though, with Mary Kramer and Josh Hamman.
While rummaging through her stepfather's belongings, she found Sylvester Pemberton's old equipment. Realizing her stepdad used to be Stripesy, the only adult sidekick to a teen hero in history, filled her with joy, as she had a new means to get back at him and ridicule him. She donned a Star-Spangled outfit to a patriotic-themed spirit week dance to mock him, but they were attacked by Dragon King's minions. Dugan pulled out his newly built S.T.R.I.P.E. Armor to stop them, and they prevented the thugs from taking over. They decided they would form a duo, Star-Spangled Kid and S.T.R.I.P.E.
The attack on the high school caught the attention of Oracle, who clued Robin in on the new legacy hero. Though they had little to go on, Young Justice traveled to Nebraska to take a look at the new hero. Their initial meeting was not smooth (as they kept thinking the S.T.R.I.P.E. armor was a robot) but in the end, they solved an alien invasion together.
Courtney did not join the Team, but she came along on their mission to Zandia to stop Agu Sin Gaaz.
- In Justice League Unlimited, she was voiced by Giselle Loren.
- In Smallville, she was portrayed by Britt Irvin.
- In Batman: The Brave and the Bold, she was voiced by Hope Levy.
- In Justice League Action, she was voiced by Natalie Lander.
- Lander reprised her voice for the character in Infinite Crisis.
- In Legends of Tomorrow, she is portrayed by Sarah Grey.
- In the TV series Stargirl and in the Arroweverse event "Crisis on Infinite Earths" episode, she is portrayed Brec Bassinger.
- In Young Justice: Outsiders, she was voiced by Whitney Moore.
- In Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham, she was voiced by Tara Strong.
Stargirl has (at least) 712 comic book appearances, including:
Stargirl appears in three games:
- Courtney (New Eath) in DC Database
- Courtney (Prime Earth) in DC Database
- Courtney (Stargirl TV Series) in DC Database
- Courtney (Smallville) in DC Database
- Courtney on Wikipedia