|This hero was proposed but rejected by the community for not being admirable enough or lacks what is necessary to be a purely good hero. Therefore, this hero shall be added to our "Never Again List", where proposed heroes rejected by the community shall be placed to prevent future proposals of the same do-gooder. They can be proposed again (with the permission of an administrator) if new elements appear in their series that can change their status as non-PG heroes.|
Any act of adding this hero to the Pure Good category without a proposal or creating a proposal for this hero without the permission of an administrator will result in a ban.
This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Subaru Natsuki contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||I've always had this way of somehow managing to squeak through anything? Like schoolwork and sports for instance. But... somewhere along the way... I stopped being the best at things I always used to excel at. What used to be my "best" grew smaller and smaller. I started thinking it was all pointless, I made no sense. Working my hardest at school seemed stupid. And whats the big deal about being a fast runner? Making everyone laugh seemed way cooler to me, and I was way better at it. And I quickly learned that if I kept that up, I'd always have to do something even bigger the next time around. Can if people think I'm boring. I figured I could do anything. I made everybody think I would do anything. So the stuff I did ended up being progressively dumber. I was out of control, I wasn't thinking. I knew they were a bunch of idiots. I wanted them to believe that they couldn't have this much fun without me. And we'd break up the boring times doing pointless crap for fun, with or without regrets. So I decided I'd set my sights higher. But the next thing I knew, after taking a good look around... I found there was no one left but me. It was right then and there when I finally realized, despite all my efforts to be the center of attention... there was nothing special about me at all. From that moment on, I just tried to be invisible, doing my best not to stand out. And that's how I made it all through middle school, things changed after that... Honestly, I really blew my high school debut in a big way. It was bound to happen though. I'd never had any real relationships up to that point. High school wasn't gonna be any better. And then, one day, it kinda hit me... I just... didn't want to go to school, at all. Everything snowballed from there. I skipped school once a week, then once every three days, then every other day... It didn't even take me three months, before I'd stopped going there altogether. But somehow, no matter how pathetic I was, you and Mom just treated me the same way, like it didn't make any difference. I think that's what scared me most of all. I wanted you to say, "I don't love you." Or "I can't stand you." Or maybe even "You are not my son." I really hoped you'd tell me that and then throw me out. I wanted you to just make me give it all up.||„|
|~ Subaru reflecting on his past with a vision of his father.|
Subaru Natsuki, also known as the Cult Killer, is the main protagonist of the 2014 Japanese dark fantasy light novel series Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World, as well as its anime television series and manga adaptations of the same name. He also appears in various tie-in video games, side stories, and short stories. Outside of Re:Zero, Subaru is one of the four main protagonists (alongside Ainz Ooal Gown, Kazuma Satou, and Tanya von Degurechaff) of the 2019 anime television series Isekai Quartet, a comedy crossover that featured characters from several properties of the "Isekai" genre.
Subaru Natsuki was originally a Japanese teenager layabout who spent all of his time watching anime, reading manga, and playing video games. Although firmly set on the path of delinquent, Subaru's life changed forever when he was suddenly transported to another world. This other world was populated by a colorful variety of humans, elves, and other intelligent races not unlike those seen in fantasy fiction. Subaru initially sought to use his knowledge of Earth's technology to become successful in this strange new medieval-like world. However, his fate was changed when he was saved from hoodlums by a beautiful half-elf girl named Emilia, a young woman who instantly captivated him.
Not long after meeting Emilia, Subaru learned a strange power had been bestowed upon him by the force that had summoned him to the fantasy world. The power in question, that Subaru referred to as "Return by Death," made it so Natsuki would return to a previous point in his own history with his memories intact every time he died. Using Return by Death, Subaru was able to solve any potentially life-threatening problems imposing themselves on him. Not long after saving Emilia from a serial killer known as the Bowel Hunter, Subaru learnt that the girl was a candidate to become the forty-second ruler of the Kingdom of Lugunica.
Due to her visual similarities to a genocidal maniac who destroyed half of the world four centuries ago known as the Witch of Envy, Emilia faced harsh discrimination. Subaru, who was utterly taken by the young woman, decided to support Emilia in anyway he could. Over time, the emotional toll of dying and experiencing the deaths of those around him in the time loops where he failed began to adversely affect Natsuki. Furthermore, he came to realize that the one responsible for summoning him and bestowing Return by Death on him was the Witch of Envy herself, despite her ongoing eternal confinement.
During his adventures he was accompanied by Rem, a demon maid who showed him unconditional love, care and loyalty. Although he still loved Emilia, Rem's unyielding faith in him made Subaru fall for her. Shortly after Subaru confessed his true feelings to Rem, she was attacked by Lye Batenkaitos who devoured her name and memories. In the aftermath of Batenkaitos's attack, Rem was left in a coma-like state where only Subaru could remember her existence. One of Subaru's main objectives became the restoration of Rem's mind, although he still did everything in his power to accomplish his original goal.
Without Rem as his pillar of support, Subaru felt as though he had nobody to support him when he was struggling with his problems. Furthermore, he thought that, because of his power, he only ever had to worry about others without taking heed to the deterioration of his self-esteem and basic sanity. Fortunately, Satella, who claimed to be in love with Natsuki for undisclosed reasons, made him understand that he didn't have to be alone in his struggles, as there were many people who cared for him and would want to help shoulder his burdens if he asked. Taking Satella's words in stride, Subaru Natsuki began to find self-worth and a semblance of happiness in the world at last, although there were still many problems for him to face.
Subaru Natsuki, as a Japanese teenager, was of Asian ethnicity. Of his two parents, Subaru took after his average-looking mother rather than his handsome father. His brown eyes, which were inherited from his mother, had small irises that made the whites of his eyes stand out. Unfortunately, inattentive people found Natsuki's eyes to look intimidating, although some such as Emilia liked them. One trait he did take from his father was his medium-length thick black hair which was swept back and fairly unkempt. In Japan, Subaru had tended to his hair personally, no doubt contributing to its disarray. Due to traits such as his short ears and flat nose, Subaru wasn't considered especially attractive or unattractive. Back in Japan, he was the kind of person who would fit in perfectly with a crowd because of his complete lack of any outstanding features. As a shut-in who had nothing better to do all day, Subaru used to train his body, resulting in a physique that was slightly muscular yet not too much. He stood at five feet and eight inches tall, which was roughly average height.
Natsuki's most common choice of clothing was the cheap outfit he was summoned in. The ensemble consisted of deep-grey tracksuit bottoms with an orange stripe down the side, black sneakers with vibrant orange laces and soles, and a black t-shirt. Additionally, Natsuki wore a zipped-up white tracksuit jacket with a stand up collar, deep-grey sleeves with an orange line running down their sides and orange cuffs, and deep-grey shoulders. On the left breast of the jacket was a black brand symbol that was reminiscent of the letter "N."
During his adventure in the Pleiades Watchtower, Subaru wore an outfit better suited for travelling. The outfit in question consisted of an orange scarf that matched the color featured on his track suit, black trousers tucked into lighter brown boots with black lacing, a black shirt that matched the shade of his trousers, a light brown buttoned blazer worn atop the shirt that ensured that only the shirt's collar was visible, a brown belt matching the shade of the boots, and an open green jacket. He also occasionally wore a long black hooded cloak alongside the outfit.
After being summoned to the other world, Subaru no longer sank into the crowds like he did in Japan, as the black hair and strange clothes he wore were both characteristics that drew the eyes of strangers. After dying several times and returning with Return by Death, Subaru's eyes began to take on a new quality due to the traumatic events he'd experienced. Wilhelm van Astrea saw the new look in Natsuki's eyes, noting that the boy had seen death many times and was likely to see it again at some point.
In the Sloth What-IF story, where Natsuki chose to abandon Emilia to run away with Rem, Subaru's hair was longer. Although he kept his basic messy hairstyle, Subaru now had a clump of hair tied up in a ponytail, apparently influenced by the style of Wilhelm van Astrea.
While Subaru tends to not read the situations he encounters, ultimately leading him to make irrational decisions, he is loyal to those he holds dear, willing to help them, even if that means taking the thorny path.
He has his resolve confirmed through the many situations and circumstances he faces in the fantasy world, originally having been one to always take the 'easy' route.
As a shut-in NEET, he is hopeful of the possibilities that being sucked into a new realm brings, but later realizes the realities of the predicament he is in. Eventually, he resolves himself to be faithful and protective of the ones that he cares most about.
Life in Japan
Subaru Natsuki was an ordinary boy, born on Earth, the third planet in the solar system, to a middle-class family in the nation of Japan. His father was Kenichi Natsuki and his mother was Naoko Natsuki. Of the pair, Subaru took after his mother more physically, having the same scary eyes that she did. Ever since he was little, Subaru, as his father's son, had tall expectations placed on his shoulders by the community.
When he was little Subaru always met these expectations, exceeding at everything he did including schoolwork and sports. However, as he grew older, Natsuki began trailing behind his peers, making the boy feel poorly of himself. In an attempt to feel as though he still had value, Subaru began acting out, leading his friends to do dangerous and fun things that earned him their appreciation. As time flew past, Subaru continued to do more and more foolish things, until he realized that his friends had left him behind. Despite his trouble making spree, Subaru never got into a fight.
In his mind, Subaru convinced himself there was nothing special about him as he had failed to live up to the expectations placed on him. Moving forward, Subaru tried his best not to stand out, which is what helped him get through middle school. During his high school debut, Subaru earnestly tried to make friends, however, his over-zealousness turned people off. After a while, Natsuki realized there was no point going to school, so spent a majority of his time lazing around at home playing video games, reading manga, and watching anime, essentially wasting his life away on frivolous endeavours.
|“||What's going on? I'd say I was dreaming, but this is obviously really happening. Totally not fake. So does this mean... I've been summoned, across the universe, to another woooorld!?||„|
|~ Subaru coming to the realization that he is no longer on Earth.|
One night, Subaru left home to stock up on supplies at his local convenience store. As he left the house, his mother told him to "take care" with a smile on her face, although he merely ignored the woman. At the store, Subaru flicked through a manga he found on the shelves, criticising the comic to himself for its predictable narrative. He briefly looked up from his book to see a couple his age blissfully wandering under the night sky outside the store, gazing jealously as they walked by. After putting the manga away, Subaru moved into the food section and picked up a few snacks before moving to the counter to pay.
Ruffling through his wallet, Subaru drew out a ten-yen coin with a jagged edge which he proceeded to put back into his wallet before paying with the rest of his money. As he walked out of the store and into the dimly lit parking lot, a car drove past the deserted area, briefly making Subaru pause. As he began walking again, the space around Subaru distorted as he reached the road, making him pause in confusion. Thinking his eyes were tired due to his gaming sessions, Subaru rubbed his eyes, only to discover his surroundings had changed once he opened them.
The streets were bustling, a bright sun framed the sky, and the buildings resembled medieval European architecture. Furthermore, many of the people around Subaru looked like anthropomorphic animals. Subaru stood completely dazed for a moment before assessing his surroundings out loud, affirming to himself that what he was seeing was reality and not a dream. The realization dawned on Natsuki that he had been transported to another world across the universe in a similar manner to many stories of fantasy fiction he had enjoyed previously. Shocked at this sudden inexplicable occurrence, Subaru screamed his realization to the heavens.
Powers & Abilities
- Witch Factors: The Witch Factors were a set of nine mysterious seeds of power each relating to one of the seven deadly sins (plus the additional sins of vanity and melancholy). When absorbed by a person, a Witch Factor would metamorphize into an Authority, a power which, depending on its user, would produce various different affects. The potency of an Authority was decided by the personality of its wielder, as an individual who strongly embodied the sin of the Witch Factor they absorbed would have a more powerful variation of the Authority than an individual who embodied the same sin to a lesser extent. Additionally, the bearers of Witch Factors gave off a particular scent that attracted mabeasts and was recognisable to those that came into contact with them or their followers. Since his arrival in Lugunica, Subaru has coalesced three Witch Factors into his body—Sloth, Greed, and a third Authority of unknown sin-affiliation.
- Authority of Sloth: When Subaru Natsuki personally killed the Sin Archbishop of Sloth Petelgeuse Romanée-Conti, he absorbed the Sloth Witch Factor that resided within the sadistic madman. Strangely enough, Subaru's Authority of Sloth manifested itself in almost entirely the same way as Petelgeuse's and Sekhmet's did. Unlike Petelgeuse who called the power the "Unseen Hand," Subaru chose to call his version of the Authority "Invisible Providence." Invisible Providence was a power that allowed Subaru to summon invisible hand-like appendages from his chest that he could move and extend telekinetically. One of these hands was strong enough to tear through flesh, bend and brake bones, and shatter rock. If Natsuki focused enough, he could make the tendrils of Invisible Providence phase through matter as though it wasn't there. Subaru's version of the Authority of Sloth was far less potent than both Petelgeuse's and Sekhmet's, as, although Petelgeuse for instance could summon roughly one hundred hands at his maximum potential with little effort, Subaru could only summon a single hand with minimal range and damage output.
- Return by Death: When Satella summoned Subaru to her world, she bestowed a power on Natsuki that proved to be his most useful and reliable ability. The power in question ensured that every time Subaru died, time would rewind around him, allowing him to cheat death. The only person who remembered the previous timeline that had been rewound was Natsuki himself. Because of its nature, Subaru called his power of temporal resurrection "Return by Death." Although unconfirmed, Return by Death was considered an Authority by various people, even though the sin it was connected to remained a mystery. The time rewound by Return by Death could range from anywhere between a few minutes or a few days. According to a theory suggested by the Witch of Greed Echidna, the only reason the power existed was to prevent Subaru from facing a situation where he would die permanently, as the time rewound was usually only enough to get him out of whatever predicament he was facing. Under the influence of her own selfish jealousy, the Witch of Envy imbued the power with a curse that made it so Subaru couldn't tell anyone about Return by Death. In the event that he did attempt to tell someone about the power, the Witch would freeze time and remotely conjure tendrils of shadow to caress Natsuki's heart, essentially intimidating him into silence. In the event that he ignored the preliminary penalty, Satella would kill whomever or whatever Subaru unveiled their secret to. Furthermore, every time he tried to tell something about Return by Death, the miasma of the Witch would temporarily grow stronger on him.
- Spirit User: Subaru is contracted with the Artificial Spirit Beatrice, though according to her he isn't a true Spirit User. She also has a terrible mana consumption rate and formerly got around his by draining mana from people in the mansion using the library as a medium. As she is an Artificial Spirit, she also has several conditions Subaru is forced to follow:
- Subaru cannot form a contract with other Spirits
- Beatrice cannot restore mana on her own
- Beatrice cannot use the mana in the atmosphere
- Beatrice can only drain mana from Subaru
- Combative Skills: Although Subaru was by no means a capable warrior, he had a basic grasp of hand-to-hand combat that allowed him to prevail against low-level threats. Almost immediately after his summoning, he was able to defeat the thugs Ton, Chin, and Kan in a street brawl despite their number superiority. He was also able to defend against a barrage of swings from Felt's knife by using his reflexes and the environment to his advantage. Perhaps most impressively, he was even able to briefly hold his own in a duel against the Bowel Hunter Elsa Granhiert, although it should be noted that the serial killer was merely toying with Natsuki at the time. During his time spent training under Wilhelm van Astrea at the Karsten mansion, Subaru unlocked a basic grasp on swordsmanship that was helped by the kendo he did when he was younger. However, it should be mentioned that despite the combative skills Natsuki picked up from his time in Japan as well as his time in the other world, he was still a low-level combatant overall who would lose to almost every opponent he faced in terms of battle power.
- Future Recollection: The trait that made Natsuki so dangerous was without a doubt his ability to recall the futures he had experienced using Return by Death. The fact that he could recall the events of the previous loops he had died in meant that Natsuki inherently knew the actions the people around him would take, almost like a form of precognition. As he usually tried to do different things every time he returned to life, Natsuki was able to gather more intel on how his allies and opponents would behave under specific conditions, allowing him to predict their movements and plan strategies accordingly. Although he was no genius, Subaru's recollections of failed futures as well as his basic problem solving abilities essentially turned Natsuki into a mastermind who expertly manipulated the events around him. Despite being an unemployed delinquent with no future, within a year of arriving to the other world, Subaru had orchestrated the downfall of the Sin Archbishop of Sloth Petelgeuse Romanée-Conti, the Bowel Hunter Elsa Granhiert, the Beast Master Meili Portroute, and two of the Three Great Mabeasts—the White Whale and the Great Rabbit. His recollection of the future also allowed him to forge better relationships with those he considered allies, allowing him to amass an impressive web of political connections and friends in high places.
- Parkour: During the several months after the incident at the Sanctuary, Subaru learns the basics of parkour from Clind and begins training himself.
Patrasche was the name of a female black-scaled ground dragon that Subaru came into the ownership of shortly before the subjugation of the White Whale. She was a fast and nimble steed who belonged to a particularly unruly breed of ground dragons. However, despite the feisty nature of her breed, Patrasche instantly took a liking to Subaru. Natsuki likewise adored Patrasche to the point that Rem humorously formed a romantic rivalry with the ground dragon.
Patrasche was intensely loyal to Natsuki. She would always defend him even in the event that her protection of him would lead to the ground dragon's own demise. Patrasche also took an instant disliking to anyone who acted passively aggressive towards Subaru, often growling at whomever the subject of her anger was. Due to her size, Patrasche was fairly heavy and therefore far stronger than an average person. Like every ground dragon, Patrasche had a divine blessing that enabled her to be unaffected by the drag of the wind. Additionally, any cart she pulled was given the same blessing.
List of Appearances
Chapter 1: A Day in the Capital
Chapter 2: A Week at the Mansion
Chapter 3: Truth of Zero
Chapter 4: The Sanctuary and the Witch of Greed
- According to the author, Subaru's birthday is April 1, and his birth flower is a Gypsophila elegans, or annual baby's breath.
- In astronomy, "Subaru" is the Japanese name for the constellation Pleiades. Of which, seven stars in the constellation are named after the Seven Sisters, the daughters of Atlas and Pleione in classical mythology.
- Despite being the main protagonist of the Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World light novel series, Subaru is one of the only major characters yet to be featured on the cover of a volume of the light novel (as of the twenty-fourth volume).
- If Return by Death is indeed one the Witch Factors, it is Melancholy or Envy. Even if Satella was the Witch of Envy, her Witch Factor would have left her body upon death.
- Envy would be likely, as the constant rewinds pertain to the "what if" question and how one feels a jealous rage for something not going their way. Subaru constantly shows spite for all his deaths.
- Melancholy would also work in the same way, as a self-reflection and looking to the past often depress the person in question.
- Subaru has the minimum compatibility for the witch factors he absorbed; preventing him from going insane.
- Sloth: His inability to move on and let people he cares about go.
- Greed: Willing to take everyone else's burdens for their sake.
- His name is mainly mocked with a car brand with the same name.
- This later spawned many memes in the car community, mainly a photoshoped images of Rem driving a Subaru Impreza WRX.
- His Japanese voice actor, Yūsuke Kobayashi, also voiced Byleth in Fire Emblem and Senku Ishigami in Dr. Stone. Chiplock's other heroic roles include Guido Mista in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, Yuuki Mishima in Persona 5, Dante Mogro in Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans, Kiyotaka Ishimaru in Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, Rean Schwarzer in The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel, Spade in Freedom Planet, Siebold in Pokémon Masters and Tamahiko Shima in Taisho Otome Fairy Tale.
- His English voice actor, Sean Chiplock, also voiced Revali & Teba in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Guido Mista in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, Kiyotaka Ishimaru in Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, Yuuki Mishima in Persona 5, Tao & Carl in Beasters (Season 2), Diluc Ragnvindr in Genshin Impact, Choromatsu Matsuno in Osomatsu-san (2015 Series), Shiki Granbell in Edens Zero, Rean Schwarzer in The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel, Spade in Freedom Planet, Aoi Kurashiki in Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, and Dante Mogro in Mobile Suit Gundam IRON-BLOODED ORPHANS.
- Subaru Natsuki at the Re:Zero wiki.
- Subaru Natsuki at the Isekai Quartet wiki.
- Subaru Natsuki at the VS Battles wiki.
|Anastasia Hoshin · Hetaro, Mimi, and Tivey Pearlbaton · Julius Juukulius · Ricardo Welkin|
|Crusch Karsten · Felix Argyle · Wilhelm van Astrea|
|Beatrice · Emilia · Frederica Baumann · Garfiel Tinzel · Otto Suwen · Petra Leyte · Puck · Ram · Rem · Subaru Natsuki|
|Felt · Grimm Fauzen · Old Man Rom · Reinhard van Astrea|
|Aldebaran · Priscilla Barielle|
|Archi Elior · Cecils Segmund · Fortuna · Fourier Lugunica · Marcus Gildark · Shaula · Theresia van Astrea · Vincent Volakia · Volcanica|
|Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious|
|Ristarte · Seiya Ryuuguuin|
|KonoSuba: God's Blessing on this Wonderful World!|
|Aqua · Arue · Chris · Darkness · Eris · Megumin · Kazuma Satou · Wiz · Yunyun|
|Ainz Ooal Gown · Albedo · Narberal Gamma|
|Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World|
|Beatrice · Emilia · Felt · Julius Juukulius · Puck · Ram · Reinhard van Astrea · Rem · Subaru Natsuki · Wilhelm van Astrea|
|The Rising of the Shield Hero|
|Filo · Naofumi Iwatani · Raphtalia|
|The Saga of Tanya the Evil|
|Tanya von Degurechaff · Viktoriya Ivanovna Serebryakov|