|“||We get a crew, we break in, but we do it MY way.||„|
|~ Surly telling his plan to Buddy.|
Surly is the main protagonist of The Nut Job and The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature.
Although he's not a very evil character, some can consider him a hate-able main protagonist because throughout the film he had no care for any of the characters and wanted the nuts for himself which makes him selfish, greedy, and a very unlikable character, however near the end he does have some care for his partner Buddy and Andie and he fully redeems.
He is voiced by Will Arnett and Justin Felbinger as young.
Surly is a purple squirrel with cream fur on his torso and cheeks, cream marks around his eyes, and golden brown eyes.
When he was little, he has a pink nose.
In the first film, he was self-absorbed, coarse, cynical, selfish, bossy, cocky and ambitious, but at the end, he becomes friendly, naïve, big-hearted, heroic, sweet, innocent, nice and selfless.
The Nut Job
Surly is sweet and fluffy on the outside, but inside, he's a cunning and sarcastic rogue who trusts no one. He loves surviving on his own since he was young and uses cons and swindling methods to pull off his schemes to get nuts for the winter.
Surly's dull past has made him an outcast in his community, but it also made him a true survivor.
Despite his cunning and deceitful ways, Surly knows deep in his heart that he has a conscience within him.
Over the course of the film, Surly puts his community in tight situations, breaks the rules, and believes love is for chumps until he meets his match in the feisty Andie and his woodland buddies.
The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature
Surly is now friendly, naïve, big-hearted, heroic, sweet, innocent, nice and selfless. He is the current leader of the park and is Andie's boyfriend.
The Nut Job 3: cheese filled belly version
Surly eats all the nuts while Buddy suddenly speaks.
- Surly is voiced by Will Arnett, who also voiced The Missing Link in Monsters vs. Aliens and Batman in The Lego Movie.
- Surly serves as a parallel to Raccoon, as they are both loners and want food for themselves. Unlike Raccoon however, Surly learns to accept what it means to give food to his friends. Raccoon on the other hand does not share his food.
- Like most main protagonists, Surly is shown to be prone to injury.
- His actor, Will Arnett and Rackoons’s actor, Liam Neeson also co-stared in the Lego Movie (another 2014 film) where Arnett voices Batman and Neeson voiced Bad-Cop.
- His Child Voice Actor, Justin Felbinger also voiced Mtoto from The Lion Guard and Xuppu from Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir.
- He has a broken ear.
|Miscellaneous animated Heroes|
Animated Features and Live-Action