|“||...After everything I've done with Sonic, things are so boring here! I fought robot invasions! Flying battle ships! I met a fiery princess from another dimension! I pulled the wings off a giant robo-dragon! And I come home to peace and quiet. I can't stand it.''||„|
|~ Tangle the Lemur.|
Tangle the Lemur is one of the main protagonists in IDW Publishing's Sonic the Hedgehog comic book series, based on Sega's video game franchise of the same name. She is a teenage anthropomorphic ring-tailed lemur who first became acquainted with Sonic the Hedgehog and his friends during the fallout after the war to retake Sonic's world from Dr. Eggman (as seen in the 2017 video game Sonic Forces). When Tangle sprang into action to defend her hometown from Eggman's Badniks, she encountered Sonic when he stopped by to help, and they have been friends ever since.
Tangle was the first original IDW Sonic character to be shown to the public, and quickly became hugely popular upon her reveal in promotional material. She continues to enjoy strong positive reception from Sonic fans, even getting her own mini-series alongside fellow heroine Whisper the Wolf.
Tangle is an anthropomorphic ring-tailed lemur with primarily light gray fur and purple eyes. She possesses a small black nose and a long bushy tail with gray stripes. She also has gray fur around her muzzle and between her eyes, and gray fur around the sides of her eyes and on her eyelids and round ears. She also has extra fur on top of her head and chest, and small cheek tufts.
Tangle wears a short-sleeved black bodysuit with orange stripes down the sides, a yellow sleeveless top, and detailed yellow hi-tops with white laces and soles, black details, and orange cuffs. She also wears yellow sports tape around her forearms and fingerless black gloves made of black sports tape with orange backings.
Tangle is an excitable, energetic and happy-go-lucky person who loves adventure. She likes to be part of the action whenever trouble is afoot and will try to help those in need however she can. Tangle sometimes has the tendency to act first regardless of consequence but will usually try to have an positive out look on dire situations, even during times when Sonic finds it difficult to remain optimistic.
To be added...
- Tangle was first teased as an obscured silhouette in an artwork on Facebook that featured her and Sonic. This image was first revealed five days prior to the release of the first four issues' solicitations for the Sonic the Hedgehog comics. The image was updated regularly to show more of the silhouette, up until her unveiling on 24 January 2018.
- Tangle is the first identified character exclusive to the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series that was revealed to the public.
- Tangle is the third character to use profanity in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series, with Silver being the first and Rough the second. In Sonic the Hedgehog: Tangle & Whisper #2, she said "Oh, crap..." after the Eggman Empire bunker was destroyed by Mimic's bombs.
- Along with Whisper, Tangle is the first comic-exclusive character to appear in Sonic games, the games in question being Sonic Dash and Sonic Forces: Speed Battle.
- According to Ian Flynn, this is because Sega owns the characters from the IDW comic series, thus making it possible to use them in games.
- Kazuyuki Hoshino has stated that he loves both Tangle and Whisper and that he found it fun to team up with the IDW team to help create them.