This Hero was Headlined on January 2022.
This Hero was proposed and approved by Heroes Wiki's Pure Good Proposals Thread. Any act of removing this hero from the category without a Removal Proposal shall be considered vandalism (or a "villainous" attempt to demonize said character) and the user will have high chances of being
This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Tanjiro Kamado contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||If it's for the sake of avenging those who were killed, to make sure there are no more victims, I won't hesitate to bring my blade down upon any demon's neck. But when it comes to those who felt despair and regret from the actions they took as a demon, I will NEVER disrespect them. Because at one time or another, they were human, no different from me!||„|
|~ Tanjiro to Giyu expressing his opinion about demons.|
Tanjiro Kamado (竈門 炭治郎) is the main protagonist of the prominent anime/manga series, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba. He is also the older brother of Nezuko Kamado and is the oldest child of the Kamado family. He is a Kanoe ranked Demon Slayer and a member of the Demon Slayer Corps. He became a Demon Slayer in order to find a way to turn Nezuko back into a human, and hunt down the demon who is responsible for the murder of his family and his sister's transformation into one.
- Natsuki Hanae
- Satomi Sato - as Child
- Zach Aguilar
- Allegra Clark - as Child
- Ryota Kobayashi - 2020 stage adaptation
Tanjiro is a young boy who is short for his age, with rather tanned skin and an athletic physique. He possesses ruffled burgundy hair that casts notably dark shadows on itself, combed back to expose his forehead, and wide, dark eyes with white pupils that appear dark pink around the lower section of their irises.
He also has a birthmark on the top left of his forehead, which originally looked somewhat like a graze until his fight with the Hand Demon during the Final Selection Arc, after which it appears more like a large, dark red scar. It is noted that his hands are visibly tougher than someone his ages should be as a result of his rigorous training under Sakonji Urokodaki.
Tanjiro wears a checkered dark turquoise and black patterned haori over the standard Demon Hunter uniform, which consists of a dark brown gakuran jacket, a white belt around his waist and baggy pants that extend into tabi socks, as well as zōri and bands of white cloth wrapped around his calves. He also wears a pair of hanafuda earrings, decorated by a red sun symbol, and carries a large wooden box on his back, where his sister sleeps during the day.
Tanjiro is kind by nature and has been described by others as having very gentle eyes. He exhibits a great deal of determination and will not give up once he has a goal to achieve; the best example of this is his relentless quest to find a cure for Nezuko.
Even though he is relatively strong on his own, Tanjiro isn't opposed to asking others for help when he needs it. He is very protective of his friends and even more so of his younger sister. However, despite his kind and understanding nature, Tanjiro does have a limit to his tolerance and has a distaste for rudeness, as he easily becomes annoyed by Zenitsu Agatsuma's constant whining, and angered by Inosuke Hashibira's barbaric actions.
Tanjiro's most notable attribute is his ability to empathize with anyone, even demons, which often made him hesitate before delivering the final blow. This moment of hesitation has a downside, as it has allowed some Demons to take advantage of Tanjiro's understanding nature to recover and continue the fight, though this occurs rarely.
However, as Tanjiro gained experience over the years of his service, he becomes more calculating and strict in his decisions. His courage to protect the weak commits him to face his enemy with respect and dignity, whether versus good people or evil Demons.
Powers and Abilities
Before becoming a Demon Slayer.
Hard Skull: Tanjiro has a hard skull he inherited from his mother. His head is very durable to the point in a single headbutt, it's physically strong enough to cause immediate damage to his opponents. One example is where he manages to stun Sanemi, the Wind Hashira.
Sense of Smell: Tanjiro possesses a sense of smell bordering on superhuman territory. Even before becoming a Demon Slayer, Tanjiro was known in a village as the boy who has an extremely strong sense of smell equivalent to that of hounds, bears and sharks etc.. He is able to pick up even the most subtle of scents and track their location with terrifying accuracy over long distances. It is strong enough for him to smell the 'opening thread', the slight pause in an enemy's movement which allows him an opening in which to strike.
Enhanced Strength: After his training at Mount Sagiri, Tanjiro has gained superhuman arm and leg strength and has demonstrated a great use of it, jumping over the humongous Hand Demon, and leaping over buildings effortlessly. Tanjiro also casually broke Genya's arm and shattered Inosuke's ribs and sent him flying all with a single punch. With his katana, he could slice through gigantic boulders and entire trees. While training, Tanjiro is capable of doing hundreds of push-ups at once along with a plethora of other strength-related exercises. When he was posing as a courtesan, he was shown to carry dozens of large boxes easily and when he was angered, he ripped off an Upper Rank's leg. When he was training with Gyomei Himejima, he was tasked with lifting 3 enormous logs on his back and push a boulder through town. He later managed to cut off Akaza's head, a feat which even Kyojruo couldn't accomplish.
Immense Stamina & Endurance: Tanjiro has incredible stamina and endurance, even before he became a Demon Slayer, showed when he had to train in a mountain will little to no oxygen for many days, dodging booby traps, running and traversing through it up and down, and improving his swordsmanship skills and physique all while under these harsh conditions. His stamina and endurance was further improved having mastered Total Concentration: Constant (・ Zen Shūchū Jōchū?), allowing him to exert himself physically 24/7. He was able to rejoin the fight against Daki and Gyutaro despite him nearly crossing his life limit just minutes prior. His stamina was increased even further after he mastered the Hinokami Kagura, the same Breathing Style which allowed his sickly father to dance till dawn in the snow while barely clothed.
Combined Breathstyles: Tanjiro combines Water Breathing and Hinokami Kagura together. This allowed a fatigued Tanjiro to move quickly to save Hinatsuru from Gyutaro. He would later used this these combined breathingstyles again during the Infinity Castle Arc to slay dozens of demons.
Recovery Breathing: A technique developed by Tanjiro that allows him to recover from fatigue and stiff muscles that prevent his body from moving, which he uses to overcome the whiplash of using Hinokami Kagura techniques twice in a row.
Demon Slayer Mark: Tanjiro awakens his mark for the first time while fighting Upper Rank Six, Gyutaro, and once again against the split forms of Hantengu, the Upper Rank Four. Later, the mark reappears during his rematch against Upper Rank 3, Akaza. In his marked state, Tanjiro's strength, speed, and reaction time increase drastically. In his fight with Akaza, after gaining access to the Transparent World in addition to his Demon Slayer mark, Tanjiro can move fast enough to cut off Akaza's head without giving him any time to react, a move which would've killed Akaza if it wasn't for him overcoming his weakness to Nichirin Sword decapitation. However, it should be noted Akaza's compass detection ability relied on him sensing battle spirit from his opponent, and Tanjiro was able to show no battle spirit while performing this attack. The drawback to his marked state is that Tanjiro can only enter it on rare occasions, and he can only use it for a very short period since it causes exhaustion to his body as proven in his battles against the Upper Ranks.
- Bright Red Nichirin Sword: Tanjiro first unlocked this ability after Nezuko Kamado lit his sword on fire using her pyrokinetic Blood Demon Art, which gave him an edge over Hantengu's clones. During his second battle against Muzan, Tanjiro gains the ability to dye his Nichirin Sword in a bright red color by himself after nearly dying and mastering the Sun Breathing and later awakened it one final time with the help of Giyu to drive Muzan into a corner and hamper his instantaneous regeneration.
- Transparent World: Like his father, he gained the ability to foresee the opponent's attack by analyzing and perceiving his opponents' blood flow, muscles, skeletal/joint alignment, and organs. In this state, his movement intuition and evasion speed increased dramatically. He accessed this state by remembering his father's words and used them in the midst of battle to defeat Akaza. Although he has learned how to use it, he is not completely proficient in it as shown when he had trouble perceiving it during his fight against Muzan.
- Selfless State: As he unlocked the Transparent World, Tanjiro also learned the ability to completely erase his presence from the battlefield from his father, including all his fighting spirit. This ability allowed Tanjiro to completely negate/bypass Akaza's extrasensory perception thanks to his Technique Development, Destructive Death: Compass Needle technique and decapitate him. This technique can also mask one's intent to kill and malice, allowing them to fight undetectable against enemies' that rely on sensing one's intention to fight.
Repetitive Action: A technique practiced by few members in the Corps, it allows a person to achieve the same effects as Total Concentration Breathing by using repeating pre-set movements or remembering intense feelings to open the five senses and raise their concentration, drawing out the physical powers of the body for a long extended period. It is possible to use both Repetitive Action and Total Concentration Breathing simultaneously, granting the user immense strength able to rival Upper Rank demons. Tanjiro learned this technique after consulting Genya Shinazugawa. He raises his concentration to its maximum limits by remembering the faces of his loved ones and repeatedly recalling Kyojuro Rengoku's phrase "Set your heart ablaze."
Water Breathing (水の呼吸 Mizu no kokyū): Taught to him by Sakonji, a previous Water Hashira and, Water Breathing Cultivator. This was Tanjiro's initial breathing style before he switches to the Hinokami Kagura, a breathing style taught to him by his father during his childhood, which he states is more suited to him. However, during the course where he used Water Breathing, he has become extremely proficient, enabling him to take on two members of the Twelve Kizuki, Rui and Enmu.
- First Form: Water Surface Slash (壱ノ型 水面斬り Ichi no kata: Minamo Giri) - The user generates enough momentum to create a powerful single concentrated slash.
- Second Form: Water Wheel (弐ノ型 水車 Ni no kata: Mizu Guruma) - The user leaps and vertically spins forward in the air while releasing a flowing attack in a circular motion.
- Second Form: Improved, Lateral Water Wheel (弐ノ型・改 横水車 Ni no kata kai: Yoko Mizu Guruma) - An alternate variation of Second Form: Water Wheel created by Tanjiro Kamado that unleashes a horizontal spin instead of a vertical one.
- Third Form: Flowing Dance (参ノ型 流流舞い San no kata: Ryūryū Mai) - The user swings and bends their blade in a winding motion along with their body and dances in a flowing pattern, slicing everything in its path.
- Fourth Form: Striking Tide (肆ノ型 打ち潮 Shi no kata: Uchishio) - The user makes multiple consecutive slashes while twisting their body and sword in a flowing fashion to deliver multiple blows simultaneously.
- Striking Tide: Turbulent (打ち潮・乱 Uchishio - Ran) - An improved version of the Fourth Form: Striking Tide. The user increases the quantity of consecutive strikes and slashes along with improving its accuracy in order to contact a specific target during a chaotic situation.
- Fifth Form: Blessed Rain After the Drought (伍ノ型 干天の慈雨 Go no kata: Kanten no Jiu) - The user changes the grip on their sword and decapitates the opponent in a single flowing strike that causes little to no pain. It is a “sword strike of kindness” used when the enemy willingly surrenders.
- Sixth Form: Whirlpool (陸ノ型 ねじれ渦 Roku no kata: Nejire Uzu) - The user fiercely twists their upper and lower body, creating a whirlpool of air that cuts anything caught in it. Its effect and efficiently is enhanced underwater, where the user can draw water around their weapon to enhance their slashes.
- Whirlpool, Flow (ねじれ・流流 Nejire Uzu - Ryūryū) - A combination of Third Form: Flowing Dance and Sixth Form: Whirlpool created by Tanjiro Kamado. The user combines the footwork from Flowing Dance and the twisting movements of Whirlpool, resulting in the swordsman to perform an attack around the user and conjure a twisting, swirling, vicious flow of water to redirect projectiles from multiple angles.
- Seventh Form: Drop Ripple Thrust (漆ノ型 雫波紋突き Shichi no kata: Shizuku Hamon Tsuki) - The user performs a fast and accurate stab, capable of reducing the impact of a moving target.
- Drop Ripple Thrust, Curve (雫波紋突き・曲 Shizuku Hamon Tsuki - Kyoku) - A modified strike that hits from a specific angle corresponding to the sword's structure which nearly nullifies the impact and momentum of a moving object.
- Eighth Form: Waterfall Basin (捌ノ型 瀧壼 Hachi no kata: Takitsubo) - The user cuts the target vertically in a flowing motion which is most effective when they are falling downward.
- Ninth Form: Splashing Water Flow, Turbulent (玖ノ型 水流飛沫・乱 Ku no kata: Suiryū Shibuki - Ran) - The user changes their footwork in a way that minimizes the landing time and surface needed when landing, allowing the user to move without limits. Ideal when fighting in a place with no solid foothold.
- Tenth Form: Constant Flux (拾ノ型 生生流転 Jū no kata: Seisei Ruten) - The user performs a continuous flowing attack which seemingly takes the form of a water dragon that increases in strength and power with each rotation due to momentum.
Hinokami Kagura (ヒノカミ神楽 Hinokami Kagura): During his near-death experience in his battle with Rui, Tanjiro awakened this in a memory of his father teaching him this breathing style. At that time, Tanjiro's body was not physically suited to the strain using the breathing style took on him, but through many adversities, he finally managed to master it. When Tanjiro fully witnessed the Thirteenth Form performed by Yoriichi Tsugikuni and gained consciousness, he awakened the Hinokami Kagura into the legendary Sun Breathing (日の呼吸 Hi no kokyū).
- First Form: Dance (円舞 Enbu) - The user delivers a single high-powered vertical slash.
- Dancing Flash (円舞一閃 Enbu Issen) - A modified version of Dance developed and utilized only by Tanjiro Kamado. The user infuses the Thunderclap and Flash technique of Thunder Breathing into the high-powered slash of Dance by inhaling huge amounts of oxygen, increasing the pumping of blood through the entire body, focusing it on the legs, and releasing it all to assault the target with a slash. This technique was capable of outspeeding Genya Shinazugawa, Nezuko Kamado, as well as the fleeing Hantengu. This technique is said to be slower than Zenitsu Agatsuma's Thunderclap and Flash.
- Second Form: Clear Blue Sky (碧羅の天 Heki-ra no Ten) - The user spins their body vertically to deliver a 360° slash.
- Third Form: Raging Sun (烈日紅鏡 Retsujitsu Kōkyō) - The user unleashes two horizontal slashes to hit or defend from incoming attacks.
- Fourth Form: Burning Bones, Summer Sun (灼骨炎陽 Shakkotsu En'yō) - The user unleashes a large circular slash that defends from imminent frontal attacks.
- Fifth Form: Setting Sun Transformation (斜陽転身 Shayō Tenshin) The user backflips into the air to deliver a powerful upended sword slash.
- Sixth Form: Solar Heat Haze (飛輪陽炎 Hirin Kagerō) - The user charges towards the target, unleashing a horizontal slash seemingly covered in haze that fails to land, but actually does hit the target.
- Seventh Form: Beneficent Radiance (輝輝恩光 Kiki Onkō) - The user spirals into the air and delivers a powerful slash that surrounds the enemy.
- Eighth Form: Sunflower Thrust (陽華突 Yōkatotsu) - The user unleashes a single thrust attack with the point of the blade.
- Ninth Form: Dragon Sun Halo Head Dance (日暈の龍・頭舞い Nichiun no Ryū Kaburimai) - The user unleashes a continuous fast and powerful sword attack that seemingly takes the form of a flaming sun dragon. This technique is capable of decapitating multiple enemies at once.
- Tenth Form: Fire Wheel (火車 Kasha) - The user leaps behind the opponent and spins in the air downward, releasing a sword attack in a circular motion.
- Eleventh Form: Fake Rainbow (幻日虹 Gen'nichi Kō) - The user performs high-speed twists and rotations, thus creating afterimages used mostly to evade attacks. The afterimages work most effectively on enemies with good vision.
- Twelfth Form: Flame Dance (炎舞 Enbu) - A two-combo strike that starts with a vertical slash and then a horizontal one right after.
- Thirteenth Form (拾参ノ型 Jū San no kata) - The user continuously performs all twelve forms of Sun Breathing in repetitive succession to increase the accuracy and agility of his movements while reducing fatigue. This form was created solely for the purpose of killing Muzan, since the repetition of all twelve forms aims to destroy Muzan's twelve vital organs (seven hearts and five brains) that move freely inside his body thanks to his shape-shifting ability.
- Kamado, without the second kanji (竈, かまど) is a traditional Japanese wood or charcoal-fueled cookstove/furnace.
- Do, the second kanji of his family name, (門, ど) means door.
- Tan (炭, たん) means charcoal.
- Ji (治, じ) can mean 'to heal'.
- Rō (郎, ろう) is a common Japanese name suffix for boys. It also means male.
- Tanjiro was ranked in 1st place as of the first character popularity poll with 6,742 votes.
- His English voice actor, Zach Aguilar, who also voiced Riku in Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon, Byleth in Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Genos in One Punch Man, Koichi Hirose in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable, Kaidou Shun in The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.: Reawakened, Otto Suwen in Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World, Sieg in Fate/Apocrypha and Takaki Uno in Mobile Suit Gundam IRON-BLOODED ORPHANS.
- Tanjiro's transgression as a Demon was foreshadowed a few times in the manga:
- During his fight with Daki and Gyutaro, Tanjiro thought that should he ever turn into a Demon, someone in the Demon Slayer Corps would behead him.
- On the cover of the first volume's catchphrase was - "To kill a Demon, then to kill oneself." This means the author of Demon Slayer, Koyoharu Gotouge, intended to have Tanjiro Demonized all along.
- The catchphrase of the manga and anime - "日本一慈しい鬼退治" (roughly translates as: Exterminate the kind Demon in Japan). This could be interpreted into two ways: one is 'to exterminate Demons kindly', and the other way being 'to exterminate kind Demons'. Exterminating Demons while having sympathy towards them was what Tanjiro had been doing; and then Tanjiro, whose conduct had been being kind to everybody, was a Demon in a cruelly paradoxical manner.
- Tanjiro is the only character in Demon Slayer to have two Breathing Styles.
- Tanjiro is the only student of Sakonji Urokodaki who defeated the Hand Demon.
- Tanjiro is one of the few Breathing Style users who was turned into a demon.
- Tanjiro Kamado fought battled Jonathan Joestar from JoJo in ScrewAttack's DEATH BATTLE and lost.