This Hero was proposed and approved by Heroes Wiki's Pure Good Proposals Thread. Any act of removing this hero from the category without a Removal Proposal shall be considered vandalism (or a "villainous" attempt to demonize said character) and the user will have high chances of being
|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Tanjiro Kamado contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||If it's for the sake of avenging those who were killed, to make sure there are no more victims, I won't hesitate to bring my blade down upon any demon's neck. But when it comes to those who felt despair and regret from the actions they took as a demon, I will NEVER disrespect them. Because at one time or another, they were human, no different from me!||„|
|~ Tanjiro to Giyu expressing his opinion about demons.|
Tanjiro Kamado (竈門 炭治郎) is the main protagonist of the Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba anime/manga series. He is also the older brother of Nezuko Kamado and is the oldest child of the Kamado family. He is a Kanoe ranked Demon Slayer and a member of the Demon Slayer Corps. He is hunting down the demon who is responsible for the murder of his family and his sister's transformation into one.
- Natsuki Hanae
- Satomi Sato - as Child
- Zach Aguilar
- Allegra Clark - as Child
- Ryota Kobayashi - 2020 stage adaptation
Tanjiro is a young boy who is short for his age, with rather tanned skin and an athletic physique. He possesses ruffled burgundy hair that casts notably dark shadows on itself, combed back to expose his forehead, and wide, dark eyes with white pupils that appear dark pink around the lower section of their irises.
He also has a birthmark on the top left of his forehead, which originally looked somewhat like a graze until his fight with the Hand Demon during the Final Selection Arc, after which it appears more like a large, dark red scar. It is noted that his hands are visibly tougher than someone his ages should be as a result of his rigorous training under Sakonji Urokodaki.
Tanjiro wears a checkered dark turquoise and black patterned haori over the standard Demon Hunter uniform, which consists of a dark brown gakuran jacket, a white belt around his waist and baggy pants that extend into tabi socks, as well as zōri and bands of white cloth wrapped around his calves. He also wears a pair of hanafuda earrings, decorated by a red sun symbol and carries a large wooden box on his back, where his sister sleeps during the day.
Tanjiro is kind by nature and has been described by others as having very gentle eyes. He exhibits a great deal of determination and will not give up once he has a goal to achieve; the best example of this being his relentless quest to find a cure for Nezuko.
Even though he is relatively strong on his own, Tanjiro isn't opposed to asking others for help when he needs it. He is very protective of his friends and even more so of his younger sister. However, despite his kind and understanding nature, Tanjiro does have a limit to his tolerance and has a distaste for rudeness, as he easily becomes annoyed by Zenitsu Agatsuma's constant whining, and angered by Inosuke Hashibira's barbaric actions.
Tanjiro's most notable attribute is his ability to empathize with anyone, even demons, which often made him hesitate before delivering the final blow. This moment of hesitation has a downside, as it has allowed some Demons to take advantage of Tanjiro's understanding nature to recover and continue the fight, though this occurs rarely.
However, as Tanjiro gained experience over the years of his service, he becomes more calculating and strict in his decisions. His courage to protect the weak commits him to face his enemy with respect and dignity, whether versus good people or evil Demons.
|“||Muzan Kibutsuji! No matter where you go, you're not getting away! I'll follow you to the ends of Hell, and I swear I'll slice off your head with my blade! I'll never forgive you no matter what!||„|
|~ Tanjiro Kamado swearing vengeance to Muzan Kibutsuji.|
|“||Killing humans is unforgivable.||„|
|~ Tanjiro Kamado|
|“||If you can't differentiate the good Demons from the bad ones, you should quit being a Pillar!!||„|
|~ Tanjiro Kamado berating Sanemi Shinazugawa for not understanding the difference between good and bad demons.|
- Kamado, without the second kanji (竈, かまど) is a traditional Japanese wood or charcoal-fueled cookstove/furnace.
- Do, the second kanji of his family name, (門, ど) means door.
- Tan (炭, たん) means charcoal.
- Ji (治, じ) can mean 'to heal'.
- Rō (郎, ろう) is a common Japanese name suffix for boys. It also means male.
- Tanjiro was ranked in 1st place as of the first character popularity poll with 6,742 votes.
- His English voice actor, Zach Aguilar, who also voiced Riku in Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon, Byleth in Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Genos in One Punch Man, Koichi Hirose in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable, Kaidou Shun in The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.: Reawakened, Otto Suwen in Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World, Sieg in Fate/Apocrypha and Takaki Uno in Mobile Suit Gundam IRON-BLOODED ORPHANS.
- Tanjiro's transgression as a Demon was foreshadowed a few times in the manga:
- During his fight with Daki and Gyutaro, Tanjiro thought that should he ever turn into a Demon, someone in the Demon Slayer Corps would behead him.
- On the cover of the first volume's catchphrase was - "To kill a Demon, then to kill oneself." This means the author of Demon Slayer, Koyoharu Gotouge, intended to have Tanjiro Demonized all along.
- The catchphrase of the manga and anime - "日本一慈しい鬼退治" (roughly translates as: Exterminate the kind Demon in Japan). This could be interpreted into two ways: one is 'to exterminate Demons kindly', and the other way being 'to exterminate kind Demons'. Exterminating Demons while having sympathy towards them was what Tanjiro had been doing; and then Tanjiro, whose conduct had been being kind to everybody, was a Demon in a cruelly paradoxical manner.