Tashigi is an antagonist hero turned supporting character for Punk Hazard Arc from anime and manga One Piece. She is a Marine Officer and one of the most good members of the Marine. She was originally introduced as a Master Chief Petty Officer in Loguetown until she got promoted to the rank of Ensign, due to the Alabasta events. During the time-skip, she is promoted to the post of Captain.
She is voiced by Monica Rial.
Tashigi was first introduced when the Straw Hat Pirates docked in Loguetown, where she was stationed. Smoker, her superior officer, seems to regard her as a protege; the two work very well together. While adept at sword fighting, she is unusually clumsy, which tends to get on Smoker's nerves. She is also very well-versed in katana, knowing their names and origins. Zoro often feels highly uncomfortable around her due to her striking resemblance to his late friend Kuina, who she fights like and even shares philosophies with.
Like Smoker, Tashigi has her own view of "Justice" which differs from the Marines' own definition, and will fight for what she sees as the right thing to do. Tashigi's stated goal is to remove all Meido, a class of famous swords, from the hands of those who would use them for their own selfish ends.
- In the 3rd Japanese Fan Poll, Tashigi is ranked the 20th most popular character in One Piece and is the 4th most popular female character.
- In the 4th Japanese Fan Poll, Tashigi is ranked the 42nd most popular character in One Piece and is the 8th most popular female character
- In the 5th Japanese Fan Poll, towards the end of the Dressrosa Arc, Tashigi dropped to 64th place, sharing the spot with Emporio Ivankov and is also the 14th most popular female character in that poll.
- In the 6th Japanese Fan Poll, Tashigi is ranked the 32nd most popular character in One Piece and is the 10th most popular female character.
- Once a fan asked about Tashigi's glasses as she seems nearsighted but she lifts her glasses to see a sword. Also, she was also seen not wearing glasses running and asked if the glasses were for show. Oda stated she really does need them.
- In Japan, the act of taking another's sword is seen as a strong statement, which often means the wielder was not worthy of the blade, which Tashigi is doing supposedly by taking the blades from criminals.
- Though she is after Zoro's Meito, the sword that caught her eye the most is Wado Ichimonji owed to its magnificence and her lack of understanding of why such a sword is in Zoro's hands. Ironically, this is the very sword that once was wielded by Kuina whom she resembles.
- So far, Yamaoroshi and Kashu are the only known swords to have been taken from their original respective owners by Tashigi.
- Tashigi's character design has changed greatly throughout the series. On her first appearance, she looks like Kuina but during the Whitebeard War saga, her design became more distinct.
- Tashigi was the second female Marine shown in the series (the retired and deceased Bell-mère being first).
- Her Kiri Shigure attack has the same pronunciation as one of Kaku's Rankyaku attacks.
- The origins of her technique, Kiri Shigure, is dated as far back as the Video Game One Piece Grand Adventure, where she uses it as the final part of her ultimate attack. This is odd because the game was released long before she ever used the technique in the actual story.
- Along with Smoker, Tashigi has appeared in more sagas than any other characters outside the Straw Hat Pirates.
Devil Fruit Users