|~ The player's former iconic injured sound.|
|“||You are the player. the story. the program. the human. Made from nothing but milk and love.||„|
|~ One of the important messages of The End Poem to the player.|
|“||And the universe said, I love you. and the universe said you are not alone.||„|
|~ The End Poem's heartwarming message to the player.|
The Players, generally known as Steve and Alex or simply as The Minecraft Players, are the main protagonists (to the player) of Minecraft.
They are the main playable characters used by anyone who is playing the game. The player's name is generally referred in-game with their usernames and can customize their own skin. They can also have the option to play singleplayer (which allows the player to adventure alone on the game's vast world), or multiplayer (which allows one or more players to team up with each others and saving each other's lives). The player's appearance is mostly the avatar of the real life player, and can choose to pick their skin to whatever they want.
Prior to the main game, they also appear as the main protagonists and playable characters in the 2020 Minecraft spin-off game, Minecraft Dungeons, in which the player takes the role of an unnamed hero who tries to stop the Illagers' evil reign.
The player's default character, Steve, is considered as one of the most influential and popular Minecraft character and is also widely known in many areas of the world. Because of this, The player character (commonly Steve) is the main protagonist in some popular Minecraft maps, mods, and many more, with different appearances and names.
Despite the player's character being mute and silent however, the iconic hurt sound used for the default character, Steve was "OOH!", which was implemented for the older versions of the game.
The former hurt sound was also provided by the game's sound designer and composer, Daniel Rosenfeld.
In Survival/Adventure Mode, The players' heroic personalities are kind, gentle, patient, caring, lovable, trustful, good, brave, merciful, forgivable, pacifist, and protective. Sometimes the player can also be quite competitive, arrogant, tricky, and scary, but still the player can show love and care to each other and to other mobs, even feeding their pet wolves, as they tend to deeply care for them. The players are also defensive towards the hostile/boss mobs as the mobs only wants to make them suffer in their first nights. They also do heroic deeds on their Minecraft worlds. Most notable examples like protecting a village and the villagers in an illager raid, or saving each other in multiplayer mode from a hostile mob invasion, and freeing the End dimension by slaying the tyrannical Ender Dragon and defeating the game's evilest enemy, The Wither. Players in multiplayer mode in local areas shows that the players can trust and team up with each other in finishing and helping in their own journey. In creative mode, they have no roles and objectives, but can help each other build some wonderful creations and share it to the world, but optionally, the player can also grief, terrorize, kill, and destroy anything who is their path for fun in creative mode and the player can become the protagonist villain. In big servers, they all have indefinite personalities.
In the upcoming dungeon-crawler game, Minecraft Dungeons, The characteristics of the four main characters are still yet to be discovered, but during the opening cinematic trailer of the game, the main characters have a heroic, and kind personality and are willing to protect and save the villagers from the Illager's treachery and from the antagonistic hostile mobs, and will stop the Arch-Illager from taking over the Minecraft world by exploring so many dungeons.
There are two default player skins, typically known as Steve and Alex, assigned to each player based on their account ID if they do not use a custom skin.
Steve has dark brown hair, dark skin, nose and mouth, and blue eyes, with a light blue shirt (un-tucked on the left hand side), a pair of blue jeans, gray shoes, and 4px arms.
Alex has long bright orange hair hanging to the left side, pale white skin, and dark green eyes, with a light-green shirt (un-tucked on both sides, and a dark green belt wrapped around it), a pair of brown pants, grayish boots, pinkish lips, and 3px arms.
Both player skins are intended to be a genderless representations of a human being, although the player's skin can be changed. Steve is also the shape of a "classic" skin, and Alex is the shape of a "slim" skin.
In the Legacy Console Edition, the player's default skin can vary from Steve or Alex to seven other player skins, as listed here. Multiple skin packs are also available for purchase on the Xbox Live Marketplace, the PlayStation Store, and the Nintendo eShop.
The player is 1.8 blocks tall, 1.5 blocks tall when sneaking in Java Edition, 0.6 blocks tall when gliding/sprint-swimming and 0.6 blocks wide.
In the game, the player's journeys are commonly played through emergent gameplay/narrative, so the player's goal and choice is completely up to them on how to play the game. But the achievements/advancements represents the optional goals for the player to accomplish, but this is all optional:
The player(s) will serve as the main protagonist of Minecraft 's Survival mode. The player has to eat animals for them to survive. They can explore cave and mine for ores to get more resources, they must be quick enough to go to the caves or dungeons so they can avoid meeting their first obstacle, the hostile mobs. They can also find a village and trade with a villager to get some important resources. They can also craft some utility mobs once they've built their home: Iron Golems in warm biomes, and Snow Golems in snowy biomes. In the night, the player must find a way to fight off the hostile mobs to protect themselves from danger. The common overworld hostile mobs that the player must oppose are the zombie, creeper, skeleton, spider, and enderman. Once the sun rises, the hostile mobs will despawn and the player has the chance to defeat them with ease. They can also explore ocean monuments and kill the Elder Guardian, go to the Nether and obtain Blaze Rods. They can also protect the villages from raids and earn the advancement, "Hero of the Village". When they reach the stronghold and enters the End, they will meet the game's final boss, the Ender Dragon. They will have to slain it to obtain the highest level in the game. Once defeated, the player will return normally to their worlds and they can continue playing the game. If they set their difficulty to Peaceful, the hostile mobs will despawn and they can have a peaceful life in their worlds, and they can also finish their main adventures by quitting their worlds and simply view the credits again in the main menu as the best end to their main adventures.
As a bonus gameplay, they can optionally fight the most powerful Wither, which its achievement is only unlocked after killing the dragon, as it marks as a new beginning of their adventure. They will have to kill it before it's violent wither bombs may destroy the player's base and kill all mobs, and also obtain the Nether Star. After defeating the Wither and building a beacon, they have finally beaten the game's achievements, and may choose to still continue the game. These are all optional since the game is nonlinear.
They can also access the Multiplayer mode, which they can connect to each other in the game, and can also help each other to survive their worlds and fend off the hostile mobs, and complete the game's achievements more easily. There is no exact amount or limit of the player count, any amount is possible.
In Creative mode, the player can be the main protagonists or a villainous protagonist, as they roam freely in their worlds and build anything they want by using their imagination and can optionally do villainous things like destroying and massacring a village, kill mobs, etc.
The player characters also returns as the main protagonists and playable characters in the upcoming 2020 dungeon-crawler game, Minecraft Dungeons. Unlike the player's original characters Steve and Alex, they were replaced by four characters whose clothes were inspired in a medieval style (by default). The four characters must face the antagonistic hostile mobs and illagers while pursuing the game's main antagonist, Arch-Illager. The player can also pick the iconic default characters in the main game as their avatars.
Role in countless Minecraft medias
They commonly serve as the main protagonists or main characters in many Minecraft media, most notably in mods, maps, videos, fanfiction, and many more. They also possess specific different character names and also different appearances, as their appearance can be skinned, or still possess the default player characters in these medias.
The default characters, Steve, and Alex, also appear in many Minecraft merchandise, such as Lego Minecraft, and more.
Heroic Acts (Minecraft)
Optionally, in some occasions, the player can even show and do heroic deeds, and can also show love and kindness, in the game, and is sometimes done in an optional way such as:
- Protecting a village and the villagers from an illager raid and repopulating the villagers once again.
- Defending each other homes from their evil rivals, the hostile mobs.
- Creating wonderful builds and sharing it to the world.
- Sometimes, they breed so many passive mobs and will take care of them, as well as feed them, and keeping them as their pets.
- Protecting some mobs from a hostile mob pursuit.
- Slaughtering the Ender Dragon to free the End dimension from its manipulative tyranny.
- Building an iron golem to protect each other and the villagers from the hostile mobs.
- Giving the villagers goods and sometimes to renovate and expand their village.
- Protecting their pets and their homes from the hostile mobs.
- Helping other players to survive in the wild.
- Preventing the Hostile mobs from terrorizing the Minecraft world
- Helping innocent animals from environmental dangers and hazards.
- Destroying the optional boss, The Wither Boss, so that they can prevent it from destroying other mobs.
- Having remorse of his/her past actions.
Heroic Acts (Minecraft Dungeons)
- Stop the Arch-Illager from taking over the world of Minecraft
- Destroying the hostile mobs from preventing them in their adventure.
- Protecting the villagers from the Arch-Illager's minions.
- Reviving each other when incapacitated during a battle.
- Saving the villagers from the illagers' slavery.
- The player can carry up to 1,235,295,040 kilograms.
- The default characters, Steve and Alex, is supposed to be a genderless, simple human beings, according to Notch.
- In the latest version, a player is 32 pixels in height or 2 meters tall (mobile version).
- Based on the message of the End Poem, they are usually considered as the story and the heart of the game, as their worlds completely focuses and revolves around them in their adventures.
- In Minecraft, a player's cubic volume is roughly 322,273 cm cubed. Using this logic, a Minecraft character weighs roughly around 342kg or 754lb.
- The iconic Minecraft default character, Steve, is considered widely recognized by fans and people, and has appeared as an easter egg and cameos in movies, television, and video games.
- Although there is no official mention of the game's lore, popular theories against the default player character, Steve can somehow connect the game's main events happened before. It is commonly theorized that the player is somewhat connected to the Wither, the hostile mobs, and the Ender Dragon as a victim from its past actions. However, Game Theorists also made videos about common theories about the game's lore and the player's existence.
- They can also be considered to have a tragic past in Survival mode, since they are the only humans in the game, and many people wander why they are all alone in a very big blocky world, so many questions to them in why they are always alone, the closest thing in the lore the game contains, is by reading the End Poem.
- In Minecraft Dungeons, The player's iconic characters, Steve and Alex, do appeared in the game as playable characters.
- Before the player's default skin Steve got a name, he is early known as "The Minecraft Guy" or "Mr. Minecraft". Even though Notch said that Steve wasn't the original name of the player's avatar, he never had an official name, and is commonly known as simply "The Player", as his personality reflects on the players themselves.
- The player's avatar skin can be changed and customized anytime due to their likings. It can be the blocky version of their real life selves, or from any forms of media and pop culture from television, internet, TV shows, video games, and more.
Minecraft: Story Mode