|“||Teresa, what have you done? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!||„|
|~ Thomas's reaction after Teresa betrays them.|
|“||We don't belong here. Okay, this place isn't our home. We were put here, okay? We were trapped here. At least out there, we have a choice. We can make it outta here. I know that.||„|
|~ Thomas to the Gladers.|
|“||I remember I used to work for WCKD. I remember that they sent me into the Maze. I remember watching my friends die in front of me. I'm on their side.||„|
|~ Thomas chatting with Janson.|
|“||Yeah? Like you protected Minho?
(Newt: What are your doing?)
How many more people is it gonna take? How many more kids do they have to round up, torture, kill? Huh? When the hell does it stop?
(Teresa Agnes: It stops when we find a cure.)
THERE IS NO GODDAMN CURE!!!
|~ Thomas explaining that there will not be a cure for the Flare.|
|“||I'm not going with you.
I made a promise to Minho that I wouldn't leave him behind. I-I have to go after him.
(Vince: Hey, kid, look around you, alright? WCKD just kicked our ass. You think about where you're headed.)
I'm not asking anyone to come with me.
(Newt: Thomas, listen to me. I've known Minho for... for as long as I can remember. So if there is any way that we could help him, trust me, I would be up there, standing next to you. This, what you're talking about, is impossible.)
(Jorge: More like suicide.)
Maybe. But I know what I'm supposed to do now. It's not just about Minho, it's about all of us. It's about everyone WCKD has ever taken, everyone they WILL take. They'll never stop. They'll never stop. So, I'm gonna stop them. I'm gonna kill Ava Paige.
|~ Thomas vowing to rescue Minho after he was captured by the World In Catastrophe Killzone Experiment Department (WICKED/WCKD).|
|“||(Gally: Well, I don't know. We don't necessarily need her, right? Not all of her. We just need her finger.)
Gally, back off.
(Gally: What are you, squeamish? I guarantee you she's done a lot worse to Minho.)
That's not the plan, back off.
|~ Thomas to Gally before stopping him from cutting off Teresa's finger.|
Thomas, originally named Stephen, is the titular main protagonist of the Maze Runner series.
He is Teresa, Newt, Minho, and Frypan's best friend and fellow Glader, Gally's former rival, current best friend, and fellow Glader, Aris, Brenda, Jorge, Vince, Sonya, and Harriet's best friend and fellow Right Arm member, and the last male Glader.
As a young adult, Thomas is portrayed by Dylan O'Brien, who also portrays Stiles Stilinski in Teen Wolf, Mitch Rapp in American Assassin, Sam Taylor in Amazing Stories, and Joel Dawson in Love and Monsters, and voices Bumblebee in the 2018 film of the same name.
As a young child, he is portrayed by Luke Gallegos.
The Maze Runner
Thomas wakes up in the Box with no memory. He arrives in the Glade. Gally opens the doors of the Box and gets Thomas out of the Box. The Gladers, who have arrived in the Glade three years before Thomas arrived, gather around Thomas, who gets up and starts to run, but trips and falls, causing the Gladers to laugh at this. Thomas gets up and looks around the Glade.
Thomas gets thrown into the Pit by two boys. Alby, the leader of the Gladers, approaches the Pit, introduces himself to Thomas, gets him out of the Pit, and gives him a tour of the Glade. He introduces Thomas to Newt, the second-in-command of the Gladers, who he says will be in charge when Alby isn't around. Alby takes Thomas up to the tower and tells him the rules of the Glade. Chuck arrives at the tower and is asked by Alby to set a hammock up for Thomas.
While setting up a hammock for Thomas, Chuck tells him that when he and the Gladers arrived in the Glade, Alby gave them a tour. Thomas walks towards the Maze, causing Chuck to chase after him and tell him that no one leaves the Glade. Thomas and Chuck see Minho and Ben returning to the Glade and running past them. When Ben asks Chuck how it feels to be promoted, Chuck replies that it feels great to be promoted. Thomas starts to walk into the Maze, but Gally shoves him down to the ground, but Thomas manages to get back up. The Gladers run to them and tell Thomas that he can't leave the Glade. Thomas watches the doors of the Maze close. Alby tells Thomas "Welcome to the Glade".
At night, at the bonfire, Newt tells Thomas about the Runners, who are trying to find a way out of the Maze, the Maze changing every night, and the Grievers, When Thomas asks Newt if he wants to to be a Runner, Newt replies that he needs to be chosen. Thomas wrestles with Gally, before Thomas knocks him down to the ground, but Gally knocks Thomas down to the ground as well, causing him to remember his name.
The next day, Thomas goes into the woods to get fertilizer, but is attacked by Ben, who is stung by a Griever. Thomas manages to escape from him, but Ben catches up to him. The Gladers manage to restrain Ben, see the Griever sting on his stomach, and take him to the Pit.
Later, Thomas watches on as the Gladers banish Ben from the Glade.
At night, Chuck tells Thomas that Ben belongs to the Maze. When Thomas asks Chuck if Ben will survive the night in the Maze, Chuck replies that he won't and that no one has survived a night in the Maze.
The next day, Thomas wakes up and sees Minho and Alby running into the Maze.
Later, Thomas asks Newt why Alby would go into the Maze, as he is not a Runner. Newt replies that Alby went to retrace Ben's footsteps before sundown. Newt tells Thomas that Alby spent a month alone in the Glade after arriving.
Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials
The film begins with Thomas being taken in by Ava Paige and troops from the organization WCKD, alongside other abandoned children, after being dropped off by his mother for his own safety. Years later, shortly after being rescued from the Maze, Thomas and the remaining Gladers – Teresa, Newt, Minho, Frypan, Winston, Jack, and Tim are taken to a facility run by Janson. He explains that the facility is a safe haven, protecting them from WCKD, the Flare virus, and the Cranks, and provides them clothes, food, and sanitation, where other survivors of multiple Mazes are also present. Thomas becomes curious about their activities and manages to find out what is really happening behind the closed doors. With help from Aris, the first maze survivor to end up in the facility, it is revealed that WCKD's leader, Ava Paige, is still alive and that Janson is working for WCKD, as they discuss about the experiment on the Immunes and that Janson has yet to find the Right Arm, a resistance group located at the mountains. The group, including Aris, but without Tim, escapes the facility, as Janson orders his WCKD troops to track them down, where they find themselves in the deserted outside world – the Scorch. The group arrive at an abandoned marketplace, where they first encounter the Cranks, humans zombified by the Flare virus. In the process, Winston gets infected by one of them, and Jack is killed by another. When morning comes, they find the remains of the city in ruins and that WCKD is still searching for them. Winston's infection gets worse, forcing the rest of the group to leave him alone to die by shooting himself with a gun Newt gave him, preventing his transformation. The group continues to venture the desert until one night, while sleeping, Thomas wakes to discover a civilization off in the distance. As a thunderstorm emerges, they run to an abandoned facility to take shelter. Minho gets struck by the lightning on the way, but survives. They manage to enter the place, only to find out that the facility was filled with chained Cranks. The group meets Brenda and Jorge, who lead a dangerous band of survivors and have used the Cranks as their own guard dogs. When the two find that the group had come from WCKD and is looking for the Right Arm, the two agree to take them to the Right Arm, abandoning their group of survivors. Moments later, WCKD, led by Janson, storms the place, only for the facility to be destroyed by Jorge's explosives. However, Thomas and Brenda are left behind as the rest have escaped with Jorge. Thomas and Brenda manage to escape the Cranks, only for Brenda to get infected by a Crank in the process. Thomas experiences a flashback of when he and Teresa were working for WCKD, in which Thomas tries to warn Teresa of WCKD's plans, only for the two to be separated by WCKD's troops. As Thomas and Brenda reunite with the rest of the group, Jorge interrogates Marcus, a survivor who secretly works for WCKD, into revealing the whereabouts of the Right Arm. The group eventually arrive at the Right Arm's relief camps, where other innocent survivors are present, and are greeted by Vince, who leads the Right Arm and is in charge of deciding whether they can stay or not. As Brenda's infection gets worse, Vince threatens to shoot Brenda, only to be stopped by Mary Cooper, a former WCKD scientist, who reveals that Thomas was their informant. As Mary halts Brenda's infection using an enzyme cure, Mary explains that the enzyme can only be harvested from an Immune's body, not manufactured, and that arguments over the methods of manufacturing the cure with Ava lead to Mary's departure from WCKD. That evening, Teresa calls WCKD to her location, believing that WCKD's motivations are good, leading to an ambush by WCKD. Ava and Janson arrive and confront the Right Arm before WCKD troops captures survivors for experimentation, including Minho, while Janson shoots Mary in the stomach. After Thomas and the Right Arm fend the WCKD troops off, Ava, Janson, and Teresa retreat with their captured survivors. With only a fraction of survivors left at the site, Thomas plans an infiltration into WCKD and is determined to take them down to save his friends and save civilization, Thomas threatens to kill Ava Paige and Janson as his friends and the Right Arm agree to help and prepare to fight back.
Maze Runner: The Death Cure
At night, when Thomas leaves the hideout to go to the Last City to rescue Minho, Newt and Frypan join him.
The next day, Thomas, Newt, and Frypan drive into the sewers, where the Cranks attack them, Frypan shoots at them with a shotgun, but soon runs out of ammo. Brenda and Jorge arrive and save them from the Cranks. Thomas tells Brenda that he didn't want to put anyone in danger and Frypan thanks Brenda and Jorge for saving them.
Thomas, Newt, Frypan, Brenda, and Jorge arrive in the Last City. Thomas is scanned at the gate, and the WCKD guards recognize him. Thomas, Newt, Frypan, Brenda, and Jorge run from the turrets and into a safe corner where a crew wearing gas masks rescue them and take them to a hideout, where a member of the crew reveals himself to be Gally. Thomas, remembering when Gally killed Chuck while stung by a Griever, punches him in the face. Thomas gets on top of Gally to try and attack him. Newt rushes over and stops Thomas. Thomas reminds Newt of when Gally killed Chuck. Newt replies that he remembers that Gally was stung by a Griever and half out of his mind. With that, Thomas gets off Gally. Newt asks Gally how he is still alive, as he, Thomas, and Frypan watched him die. Gally replies that he, Thomas, and Frypan left him to die and that if he and his crew hadn't found them, Brenda, and Jorge, they would be dead. Newt tells Gally that Minho is being held in the WCKD tower and that he, Thomas, Frypan, Brenda, and Jorge are looking for a way in. Gally offers to help them get into the WCKD tower. Thomas, at first, refuses to follow Gally, but Gally replies that he can get him, Newt, Frypan, Brenda, and Jorge through the walls of the Last City.
While going with Newt, Gally, Frypan, Brenda, and Jorge to Lawrence's hideout, Thomas is told by Gally that he was found lying on the floor of the WCKD lab with the spear still in his chest by Lawrence's crew, who, after discovering that he is immune to the Flare, pulled the spear out of his chest and took him to the Last City to meet Lawrence, who patched him up and convinced him to join his crew. Thomas is told by Gally that Lawrence's crew is working to destroy WCKD. Thomas is told by Gally not to stare at Lawrence.
Thomas, Newt, Gally, Frypan, Brenda, and Jorge arrive in Lawrence's hideout. Thomas tells Lawrence that he, Newt, Frypan, Brenda, and Jorge need to get into the WCKD tower, as Gally said that he can get them through the walls of the Last City. Lawrence replies that the way into the WCKD tower is impossible. Gally replies that the way into the WCKD tower won't work without Thomas. When Lawrence asks Thomas why he should trust him, Thomas replies that WCKD has something they both want. Lawrence tells Thomas that he, Newt, and Gally can go into the Last City while Frypan, Brenda, and Jorge stay behind. Thomas agrees and shakes Lawrence's hand. As Gally lowers a ladder into the sewers, Jorge tells Thomas to be careful going with Newt and Gally into the Last City. Thomas agrees.
Thomas, Newt, and Gally walk through the tunnels where Gally approaches a generator and turns on the lightbulbs so he can lead Thomas and Newt through the tunnels.
At night, Gally leads Thomas and Newt through the Last City. They hear an announcer telling everyone in the Last City to return home. With that, Thomas, Newt, and Gally decide to return to Lawrence's hideout. On the way back to Lawrence's hideout, Thomas, Newt, and Gally hide from the WCKD soldiers.
After Thomas, Newt, and Gally return to Lawrence's hideout, Gally uses a telescope to look at the WCKD tower and tells Thomas and Newt about its security system. When Thomas asks Gally about the way in that he had mentioned before, Gally convinces Thomas to look through the telescope, Thomas agrees and sees Teresa working in a lab. Gally reveals to Thomas that he plans to use Teresa to get into the WCKD tower.
The next day, in Lawrence's hideout, Thomas, Newt, Gally, Frypan, Brenda, and Jorge go over plans to use Teresa to get into the WCKD tower. Thomas is reluctant to use Teresa as their way into the WCKD tower. Brenda reminds Thomas of when Teresa betrayed them, leading Gally to remark to Thomas that he likes Brenda. Newt reacts with extreme aggressiveness, screaming at Thomas for still having feelings for Teresa. Shocked about himself, Newt apologizes and walks out.
Thomas finds Newt sitting on a rooftop. Newt reveals to Thomas that he has been infected by the Flare, as revealed by the black veins on his right arm. Newt reveals that the reason WCKD put him in the Maze was because they wanted to tell the difference between immunes like Thomas and people like himself. Thomas tells Newt that he can cure him. Newt replies that they need to get Minho out of the WCKD tower. Thomas agrees.
The next night, after telling Gally that Newt has been infected by the Flare, Thomas goes with him into the Last City to capture Teresa, while Newt, Frypan, Brenda, and Jorge go to an abandoned church. When Teresa leaves the WCKD tower, Thomas goes to lure Teresa into an alley while Gally waits in the alley. Teresa sees Thomas on the other side of the street and follows him into the alley where they talk. After they finish talking, Thomas signals for Gally to put a sack on Teresa. Thomas and Gally take Teresa to the church where Newt, Frypan, Brenda, and Jorge are. Teresa is shocked to see that Gally is alive, and Gally asks her where Minho is. Teresa replies that Minho is in Sub-Level 3 with the Immune teenagers. Gally takes a scalpel and tries to use it to cut off Teresa's finger, but Thomas takes the scalpel from him. Thomas convinces Teresa to remove their trackers.
While removing Thomas' tracker, Teresa discovers that Brenda is looking good and healthy and asks Thomas when her last treatment was. Thomas replies that Brenda's last treatment was back in the mountain camp of the Right Arm. Teresa removes Thomas' tracker. Gally approaches Thomas and Teresa and asks them if everything is okay. Thomas replies that everything is okay.
Disguised with WCKD soldier overall uniforms and face-masking helmets, Thomas, Newt, and Gally go with Teresa to the WCKD tower, while Frypan climbs up a crane, Brenda goes to a parking lot to steal a bus, and Jorge returns to the Right Arm's hideout.
While Gally enters the WCKD tower through the parking garage, Thomas, Teresa, and Newt enter the WCKD tower through the main entrance.
Thomas, Teresa, Newt, and Gally arrive in a stairwell. While Newt coughs from being infected by the Flare while leaning over the stairwell railing and Gally plugs a jamming device into the electrical box, Thomas talks to Frypan and Brenda on a walkie-talkie.
Thomas, Teresa, Newt, and Gally arrive in Sub-Level 3 where Thomas, Newt, and Gally shoot the WCKD guards. Thomas discovers that Minho is not in the cell and asks Teresa where he is. Teresa shows Thomas Minho's profile and tells him that Minho has been moved up to the medical wing. Thomas, Teresa, and Newt go to find Minho, while Gally takes the vials of serum out of the vault and takes them and the Immune teenagers to Brenda.
Thomas, Teresa, and Newt take the elevator to find Minho. Janson joins them in the elevator and talks to Teresa, but then realizes that Thomas and Newt are in the elevator, but Thomas, Teresa, and Newt manage to escape. When Thomas asks when the Flare will stop, Teresa replies that it stops when WCKD finds a cure. Thomas replies that there is no cure. Janson holds them at gunpoint, but Teresa manages to let Thomas and Newt go to find Minho while she goes to do a blood test on Thomas' blood.
Thomas and Newt reunite with Minho and they and him escape from Janson and the WCKD soldiers. Thomas, Newt, and Minho manage to lock themselves in a room. Thomas and Minho manage to break the window and they and Newt jump out of the window and into the pool. When they get out of the pool, four masked soldiers approach them and tell them to surrender, but one of them shoots the other three, takes off his helmet, and reveals himself to be Gally. Minho is shocked to see that Gally is alive, and Gally tells him, Thomas, and Newt that they are nuts.
While Thomas, Newt, Minho, and Gally are hiding from the WCKD soldiers, Thomas asks Gally how far the tunnels are. Gally replies that the tunnels are twelve blocks away from the WCKD tower. While Minho and Gally talk to each other, Thomas carries Newt off into the Last City.
While going to the berg, Thomas, Newt, Minho, and Gally see the walls of the Last City exploding as a result of Lawrence sacrificing himself to destroy them. Gally says that Lawrence's crew is supposed to destroy WCKD and not the Last City. Thomas convinces Gally to come with him, Newt, and Minho.
While hiding behind garden beds, Thomas, Newt, Minho, and Gally see the battle between the WCKD soldiers and Lawrence's crew. Thomas, Newt, Minho, and Gally manage to escape.
Newt is unable to get to the berg due to being infected by the Flare, leading Minho and Gally to run to the berg to get the serum from Brenda. Newt gives Thomas his necklace before passing out. While carrying Newt into a train station, Thomas hears Teresa telling him that his blood can cure Newt like it did Brenda. Newt becomes a Crank and attacks Thomas. Thomas fights Newt and stabs him in the chest with a knife. Minho, Gally, Frypan, and Brenda arrive and see Newt's dead body. While Minho, Gally, Frypan, and Brenda gather around Newt's dead body, Thomas walks off to the WCKD tower.
Thomas arrives in the WCKD tower and approaches Ava Paige, who tells Thomas that he save them, but is shot in the back by Janson, who takes Thomas to a lab where Teresa is extracting his blood. Janson reveals to Thomas that he has been infected by the Flare and plans to inject the serum with Thomas' blood into his arm, causing Teresa to hit Janson in the head with a glass flask, knocking him unconscious. Teresa tries to release Thomas, but Janson regains consciousness and knocks Teresa down. Thomas frees himself and engages Janson in a fight, but Janson overpowers him and prepares to shoot him, when Lawrence's crew fires a missile at the WCKD tower, knocking Thomas, Teresa, and Janson down. Teresa carries Thomas to the medical wing, but not before Janson shoots Thomas in the stomach. Teresa offers to give Janson the serum containing Thomas' blood, but Janson refuses and wants Thomas himself. Thomas throws a very heavy object at a glass front, allowing the Cranks that are locked inside it to break out and attack Janson. Teresa carries Thomas to the roof, gives him the serum containing his blood, and kisses him. Minho, Gally, Frypan, Brenda, Jorge, Vince, and the Immune teenagers arrive in a berg. Thomas is unable to get on the berg due to his wound, but Teresa throws him onto the berg, allowing Minho, Gally, Frypan, Brenda, and Vince to pull him aboard. Teresa falls to her death when the WCKD tower collapses. As Jorge flies Thomas, Minho, Gally, Frypan, Brenda, Vince, and the Immune teenagers away from the tower, Gally administers a bandage on Thomas' wound.
Sometime later, Thomas, Minho, Gally, Frypan, Aris, Brenda, Jorge, Vince, Sonya, Harriet, the Right Arm, and the Immune teenagers arrive at the Safe Haven. Thomas wakes up in a hut, discovers the bandage on his stomach, walks out of the hut, and approaches Minho, Gally, Frypan, Aris, Brenda, Jorge, Vince, Sonya, Harriet, the Right Arm, and the Immune teenagers. Thomas hugs Minho. At night, at the campfire, Thomas, Minho, Gally, Frypan, Aris, Brenda, Jorge, Sonya, Harriet, the Right Arm, and the Immune teenagers listen to Vince give a speech.
Minho gives Thomas Newt's necklace, which Thomas discovers contains a note from Newt. Thomas reads the note, in which Newt tells him to look after everyone, before thanking Thomas for being his friend. Thomas approaches Minho, Gally, Frypan, Aris, Brenda, Jorge, Vince, Sonya, Harriet, the Right Arm, and the Immune teenagers at the campfire, hugs Gally and Brenda, and sits down with them, Minho, Frypan, Aris, Jorge, Vince, Sonya, Harriet, the Right Arm, and the Immune teenagers at the campfire. The next day, Thomas goes to the memorial rock and carves Teresa's name on it. Thomas walks along the beach, stops walking, looks at the ocean and the ship, takes out the serum, looks at it, and looks out into the distance.
Physical Appearance and Personality
In The Maze Runner, Chuck tells Thomas that he was around five foot nine and also describes him (probably jokingly) as being as "ugly as fried liver on a stick". He tells Thomas that he looks like sixteen years old. Thomas is shocked, because he feels older than that. He is, however, younger than Newt, who is repeatedly referred to as "the older boy". In The Kill Order, Thomas is described as having sandy brown hair. In the films, Thomas is portrayed by actor Dylan O'Brien, who is known for his role as Stiles Stilinski in the TV series Teen Wolf.
Thomas has always been an inquisitive person, before and after being sent to the Maze. He has a habit of becoming frustrated when answers are kept from him, something he experiences on a regular basis. In The Maze Runner, Thomas starts off as timid and somewhat aloof, but steadily grows more bold and sociable throughout the series. He does not easily give up on anyone and would rather rush back and help them than leave his friends behind.
Powers and Abilities
- Antibiotic System: Thomas was shown to be immune to the effects of the deadly Flare virus. In the Maze Runner film, he stabbed himself in the thigh with a Griever's tail and was injected with the last syringe of grief serum used to help Alby, then afterwards, he was shown to have not lost control over his humanity. And in the Scorch Trials film, Dr. Mary Cooper ordered her men to spare Brenda, for she knew that harvesting some of his blood would stop her infection from spreading further. Then in the Death Cure film, When Ava Paige informed the people in the Last City that the virus was airborne, they would need to wear mouth masks, but when Thomas was staring at Teresa, waiting for her to follow him, he was shown to not been affected by breathing naturally around it. After leading Teresa into a trap where Gally captured her, Thomas convinced her to remove the swipe from his neck, then she brought it to WCKD with her for a sample of his DNA to examine it at the lab to discover how Brenda was no longer sick since when they last met, and realized that Thomas' blood was capable of destroying the effects of the Flare virus permanently, that is when she announced to Thomas that his blood had held the key to a cure for the infected to be saved from the Flare completely as it did for Brenda.
- Intelligence: Thomas is curious and a quick-thinker, able to solve puzzles and problems, and improvise his way out of sticky situations where possible, anyway. He is the one who figured out how to find the code for the Maze, for example, and he was able to talk his way out of several dangerous moments.
- Bravery: Thomas is willing to do things he is reluctant to, even things that downright terrify him, for the sake of his friends, and if he feels that it's the right thing to do. For example, he runs out into the Maze just as the doors are about to close, even though he knows how dangerous it is, and he does it because he recognizes that Minho and Alby need his help.
- Compassion/Empathy: Thomas shows both traits many times throughout all the books, from his relationship with Chuck, to his guilt over having worked with WCKD and helping them design the Maze, to the way he could still empathize with Ben even though the other boy had tried to kill him while stung by a Griever, even back to his going out into the Maze to help Minho and Alby. He wants to do the right thing and he cares very much about all of the friends he makes, sometimes more than he realizes.
- Charisma: Thomas is shown to be a natural leader, particularly in the last book and especially in the Maze Runner trilogy, and people have a tendency to listen and follow him and do as he says, despite how young he is.
- Determination: This can also be read as a weakness, as stubbornness can often get people into trouble and Thomas is definitely not exempt from this, but his determination gets him through a lot. From the Maze to the Scorch to WCKD and Denver and beyond, his determination to survive and help his friends do the same keeps him alive and sane through some pretty horrible and life-threatening situations. Thomas was able to remember everything about his life of childhood, his parents, being taken in by WCKD, and working for them through dreams which were fragments of his memories regrowing back slowly due to the device known as the swipe that WCKD had implanted in his mind. His determination was shown also to aid his physical strength to be at peak human potential, allowing him to throw/exert immense force capable of breaking through harden objects with minimum effort and without the need of any assistance. In Death Cure film, when Teresa was being held at gunpoint by Janson, Thomas, even with his injury of being shot, was able to use all of his willpower to throw a microscope towards the containment chamber hard enough to shatter apart and allow the two Cranks held inside of it to break out and kill Janson which saved Thomas and Teresa.
- Peak of Human Physical Condition: Due to years of going through tests by WCKD such as harsh environments as well as being on a healthy diet, Thomas' physique has shown to possess peak human strength, speed, durability and metabolism. Each of these traits have proven to assist him to survive many catastrophic events.
- Peak Human Strength: Thomas is shown to be an athletically strong muscular teenager both physically and mentally. His muscles are able to lift opponents who roughly weights more pounds above his own height and size, in the Maze Runner film, when going in a match against Gally, he pushed him to the ground while being dragged by him. During the Scorch Trials film, he kicked a Crank several feet from his position down an escalator and caused another to fall off from a platform, saving Newt, then after outrunning a group of Cranks in a broken building with Brenda, Thomas attempted to rescue her from a Crank trying to kill her by pulling out a rebar and using it to break the glass window with ease causing the Crank to fall several stories to the surface, and Thomas held Brenda in his arms saving her from falling. In the Death Cure film, after seeing that Gally has survived being impaled in the chest with a spear by Minho, Thomas punched him in the left side of the face with ease. Newt, almost becoming a Crank, used his knife to try to stab Thomas, but he managed to keep it off with his grip strength before it could cut deeper into his chest, then when Teresa was knocked down by Janson, Thomas, in anger, ran towards him, to pick him up off his feet through glass to the floor, and threw punches strong enough to have blown him up against the wall causing him a brief concussion.
- Peak Human Speed: Thomas was shown to be able to run with above average speed faster throughout the Maze Runner trilogy. In the Maze Runner film, when Minho was carrying Alby, who was stung by a Griever, Thomas sprinted his way into the Maze as the doors began closing in on him, and makes it through. On the night inside of the Maze, Thomas, who was being chased by the Griever, jumps towards the edge of the wall onto the vines, then leads the Griever to a trap where the wall nearly closes on him, but he made it back alive into the Glade the next morning along with Minho and Alby, and the other Gladers watched and came over to support and comfort them. The next day, Thomas goes back into the Maze with Minho to find the way out but as the section changed, they ran back to the Glade through deadly obstacle courses, and avoided being crushed or trapped just in time. In the Scorch Trials film, when Thomas and the others escape from the WCKD compound, Janson contacted the security to shut the main vault door, but just as it started to close, Thomas was able to slide under it before it did, then outside of the Scorch, he was able to outrun a group of Cranks. When following Brenda to head for the exit of the warehouse, the WCKD soldiers chased after Thomas and her, but Thomas walked on the edge of a reel quickly with great balance and made it through. Then in the Death Cure film, when Thomas and his group arrive near the gate of the WCKD base headquarters known as the Last City, Janson had ordered the guards to activate the remote gun turrets and fire them at everyone in site. but Thomas was able to run with his group to move towards a safe corner surviving from the shootout where Gally and his Crank crew rescue them and take them to a hideout. Then in a deleted scene, Thomas outran a speeding train in the tunnels with Newt and Gally just in time to make it to the secret entrance of the city.
- Peak Human Reflexes: At the age of 16, Thomas' reaction speed is at the peak potential granting him greater reflexes over many incoming attacks around him. In the Maze Runner film, when a Griever got caught in vines, it pulled out its stinger which almost impaled Thomas but he moved his head away, then in the Scorch Trials film, after Thomas and Brenda jumped down to the basement after the warehouse exploded, he saw rubble pieces about to fall on them, but he and Brenda got out of the area just in time. In the Death Cure film, when Newt was changing into a Crank, he brought out his combat knife to use against Thomas, however, he was able to maneuver his body from all strikes which didn't cut him, and upon getting into a duel with Janson, he had dared Thomas to take another strike on him, and Thomas' body's quickness was incredible that he performed fast enough paste to get back up and hit Janson across the face.
- Peak Human Durability: Thomas's mind and determination had been shown to possess a remarkable resilience for his pain tolerance to allow his muscles and bones to withstand worst hits and great impacts without giving out any signs of weakening towards his agendas. In the Maze Runner film, when Gally, in anger, came over, he punched Thomas in the left side of the face, but he got back up stabled with a bruise, In the Scorch Trials film, Thomas attacks Barkley by headbutting him in the face, hits a WCKD soldier who was wearing a helmet in the face with his elbow and has even taken punches in the stomach and right side of the face from Janson, but he still showed no complaint to neither one. In the Death Cure film, when escaping from the WCKD building with both his friends Newt and Minho, Thomas and them attempted to jump out of the window of the 20th floor from Janson and his armed men, they immediately leaped off the floor and landed safely in a pool feeling no limps or cripples. When defending himself against infected Newt, he was slightly punctured in the shoulder but was still able to move his arm, then after getting in a fight against Janson, Thomas gets punched in the face and kneed in the stomach, but gets back up and punches him back, and is then shot through the right side of his lower back. But he was durable enough to carry his own weight before the need of having support from Teresa to carry him up the rooftop.
- Peak Human Regeneration: Thomas' Immunity system has shown to be able to allow his physical health and metabolism to regenerate from mild injures at the highest limits of human potential. Upon waking up in the Safe Haven, Thomas' wound from being gunshot in the lower right side of his back fired by Janson was fully healed in a mere few days and he was shown to endure the sensitivity of pain without complaint or aided assistance.
- Peak Human Thievery: During the Scorch Trials film, Thomas was very professional at stealing valuable items without getting caught, he drew attention to himself after Janson's announcement for the selected subjects who were called up to the restricted door. Once Thomas approached it, the security guards ordered him to return to his seat, but he ended up attempting to forcibly sprint pass them, but was pushed and held back by his friends, then Janson ordered to have them taken to their room. Upon their escort, the others question Thomas if he thought they were going to let him through, but Thomas reveals he snatched one of the security guard's keycard ID to grant him access to the door with Aris Jones.
- Stealth Mastery: Thomas was proficient in using stealth tactics to infiltrate high secured facilities without giving notices of his appearance or attacks and successfully had the advantage of blending in. As shown in the Death Cure film, when going into the Last City's headquarters, Thomas was disguised in a WCKD uniform armed with the same equipment, and was able to walk through the front entrance and passed many WCKD guards to meet up with Teresa, Newt, and Gally with ease. Then when sabotaging the WCKD security system, he makes his way to the room the Immune children were being held in, and once the door opened, Thomas, Newt, and Gally start shooting every single one of the guards before freeing the children from their prison cells.
- Peak Human Accuracy & Weapon Proficiency: Thomas was shown to know his way in being proficient at using spears, explosives, and projectile weaponry with great feats and benefits in far to close ranged combat. In the Scorch Trials film, he grabbed a Kel-Tec KSG (Launcher) and shot an incoming guard down to the floor stunned, and then aimed off scope to fire the last few rounds of the ammo left directly at Janson but misses. In the Death Cure film, Thomas honed his aiming skills with excellent accuracy as shown when using the P226 pistol at far range distances while being on the train fending off against the WCKD soldiers in the Scorch. He managed to shoot one soldier through the left side to his heart killing him and shot two others in the right side of one’s shoulder and another on the left while standing on the platform of the cargo container leaving him wounded while being carried by the Berg. Then while infiltrating the WCKD lab in disguise, Thomas shoots many enemies with a Launcher tasing them to their knees, and before taking cover with Newt, he used some of the ammo he had left in his pistol to fire at a couple more of the guards in the heart and the next in the neck killing both personnels. When wounded from Janson's firearm, Thomas used all his full strength to aim a microscope at the containment cell holding the two Cranks, causing them to break free and attack Janson saving both himself and Teresa.
- Explosive Proficiency: In the Scorch Trials film, Thomas was shown to be incredibly skilled using a lethal explosive bomb/grenade as well as preventing it from going off while carrying it. When being ambushed by snipers, Jorge had informed him how his grenade can be used, then later when WCKD attempted to capture the immunes, he hides the device in his pocket, pulls it out, and threatened to use it on them or he and the Gladers would commit suicide. However, carrying it brought enough time for when Jorge drove a truck into a helicopter which gave everyone the advantage to fight back and for Thomas to throw the bomb towards 4 WCKD soldiers, moved to a safe distance before detonating it on them.
- Spear Proficiency: In his time in the Maze, Thomas looked to be skilled with using a spear as a melee weapon in far to close distance combat. In the Maze Runner film, as Gally ordered the two boys to tie him up, he faked being unconscious to then surprisingly hit and snatched the staff from the boy and hit the other in the face with it. As Thomas leads the others out of the Maze, he threw his spear as a javelin at a Griever just in time for it to be crushed by the closed wall.
- Expert hand-to hand Combatant/Martial Artist: Thomas seemed to know self defensive skills with the use of his strength, resilience, and intuition in close quarter combat. In the Maze Runner film, he was able to shove Gally to the ground and push a Griever down off the edge with some assistance from his friends along with another swarm approaching them, In the Scorch Trials film, when a Crank comes in front of Thomas, he kicked it off the escalator to the ground on its back, then kicks another one off his friend Newt and causes it to fall below the platform, then when being held at gunpoint by Barkley, Thomas held the gun away from him and headbutted his face which caused him to back away with a brief concussion while bleeding through the nose. Then when WCKD ambushed the Right Arm headquarters and started loading up all the immunes, he hit the WCKD soldier behind him with his elbow. In the Death Cure graphic novel, Thomas has been alongside of the Right Arm who are heavily trained in CQC which assumes that he learned some proficient skills of Defendu from them, it was first shown in the novel when silently intruding a WICKED warehouse, he used his knee to kick a fully armed WCKD soldier in his stomach with support from Newt tripping him over. Then six months later in the film, Thomas demonstrated Jujutsu, when Newt was infected by the Flare and tried to attack Thomas with his combat knife, however, Thomas was able to use dodge and counter techniques deflecting from every strike swung from him. Then when Janson, in outrage, attempted to take the serum from Teresa, Thomas, with effort, charged towards him and started a brawl against him. After he was punched by Janson, he used techniques of boxing on him by punching him back twice, Janson puts Thomas in a chokehold, but Thomas managed to lean Janson to the back of the wall escaping the choke, then gets back up quickly striking him in the right and left side of his face and gut using heavy blows of brute strength with hooks and uppercut.
- Danger Intuition: Before and after the Maze, Thomas' curiosity possessed a sharp sixth sense of perception over many things in life and he has been able to perceive the feeling of danger when something was wrong or wasn't in place the way he claimed it to be. During the Maze Runner film, he knew that a Griever was approaching his position and hid himself to cover before it could spot him, In the Scorch Trials film, after his arrival to the base compound, Thomas felt that the people who said they were sent to rescue them and were enemies against WCKD were keeping important information from him and discovered the truth that his group never escaped as the people were WCKD themselves. Then when traveling in the Scorch, he was able to hear the incoming WCKD aircrafts and hid under a bunker before they could spot him and his friends. In the Death Cure film, after going through a shootout against WCKD security guards, Thomas and Newt ran around the floor searching for Minho while being chased and Thomas had known to wait for the soldiers to approach near their position where they had stopped to fire back at them. Then when walking with Teresa to the exit, he quickly turned around and saw Janson about to fire his pistol at her, but he moved out of the way to head into the medical room just before he could shoot at them for safety.
- Backpack: In the Scorch Trials film, Thomas used this backpack in order to carry supplies which includes food, a flashlight, and a knife strap.
- Chuck's Relic: In the Maze Runner film, before Chuck's death at the hands of Gally, he had given Thomas this crafted item he made from wood and told him to keep it before dying in his arms and Thomas carried it as a reminder of him.
- Kel-Tec KSG (Launcher): In the Scorch Trials film, Thomas temporarily used this weapon of WCKD property to fight him and friends out to escape. It was shown in the Death Cure film that he had once again used it against WCKD opponents.
- Hand Grenade: In the Scorch Trials film, Thomas discovered that Jorge left behind his bag that had this C-4 remote detonator inside of it and temporarily used it on WCKD soldiers.
- Winchester Model 70: In the Scorch Trials film, it is unknown if Thomas ever used this weapon, but he prepared it for combat against WCKD at end of the film.
- SIG Sauer P226R: In the Death Cure film, Thomas was shown to be carrying this small firearm to use as equipment against WCKD enemies.