Togusa is the tritagonist of the Ghost in the Shell franchise. He is a former detective for the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department and the newest member of Section 9. He is also the only member of the team besides Daisuke Aramaki without any significant cybernetic upgrades (referred to as a 'natural'), though he does have a cyberbrain Motoko Kusanagi recruited him into Section 9 specifically for this purpose, to keep the unit from becoming too specialised.
|Japanese||Kōichi Yamadera (1995 film, Innocence, Stand Alone Complex), Tarusuke Shingaki (Arise)|
|English||Christopher Joyce (1995 film), Crispin Freeman (Innocence, Stand Alone Complex), Trevor Devall (Stand Alone Complex OVAs), Alex Organ (Arise)|
Togusa is a tall (around 5'10) man with an average build and fair skin. He has green eyes and dark brown hair that he keeps in a mullet. His usual attire when on the job consists of a grey suit with a blue tie.
As far as members of Section 9 go, Togusa's life has been comparatively easy- he is one of the few without any military background, the only one besides Aramaki without any significant cybernetic upgrades and, most significantly, the only one with a family, being happily married with two children. As a result, he is notably more idealistic than the rest of his teammates, who tend to be highly pragmatic, cynical and even ruthless. Despite this, none of the group have the heart to tell him that his idealism won't work in their line of work- they believe that it rounds up the team, and his incorruptible idealism is one of several reasons he was recruited into Section 9 in the first place. He tends to bring out the best in his teammates, though he sometimes argues with Batou, mainly due to the latter's 'cowboy cop' tendencies and trigger-happy nature.
Despite his kindness, Togusa initially doesn't think much of the Tachikomas, believing them to be just machines and especially doesn't like Batou's treatment of one of the blue tanks. They, in turn, dislike him for his dismissive nature, calling him a bigot.
- His First Japanese Voice Actress, Kōichi Yamadera, who also voiced Star-Lord in Marvel Cinematic Universe, Spike Spiegel in Cowboy Bebop, Donquixote Rosinante in One Piece, Ryoga Hibiki in Ranma 1/2, Jubei Kibagami in Ninja Scroll, Gentle in My Hero Academia, Beerus in Dragon Ball Super, Balrog in SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos, Alva in Pokémon: Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel, Hoopa Unbound in Pokémon the Movie: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages, Demon Kign Jackal in The Ultraman, Marcus in Arceus and the Jewel of Life, Cat Mask Seller in A Whisker Away, Manny in Ice Age, Beast in Disney's Beauty and the Beast, Mushu in Disney's Mulan, Genie in Disney's Aladdin Wreck-It Ralph in Disney Wreck-It Ralph, Sebastain in Disney's The Little Mermaid, Donkey in Shrek, Roger Rabbit in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Megamind in Megamind, Stitch in Lilo and Stitch, Ebenezer Scrooge in Disney's Christmas Carol and Akihiko Kayaba in Sword Art Online.
- His Second Japanese Voice Actress, Tarusuke Shingaki, who also voiced Mirio Togata in My Hero Academia, Kariya Matou in Fate/Zero and Big Brother in Catherine.
- His First English Voice Actress, Christopher Joyce, who also voiced Tucan in Cowboy Bebop.
- His Second English Voice Actress, Crispin Freeman, who also voiced Itachi Uchiha in Naruto, Alucard in Hellsing, Shizuo Heiwajima in Durarara!!, Thomas H. Norstein in Digimon Data Squad, Gus Grav in Bakugan New Vestroia, Koichi Kimura in Digimon Frontier, Kyon in Haruhi Suzumiya, Hagi in Blood+, Gyomei Himejima in Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Tsume in Wolf's Rain, Ant-Man in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Kirei Kotomine in Fate/Zero, Electro in The Spectacular Spider-Man, Firefly in Batman: Arkham Origins, Sundowner in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Duskmon in Digimon Frontier, Kray Foresight in Promare Helis in Horizon Zero Dawn, Jeremiah Gottwald in Code Geass, Akio Ohtori in Revolutionary Girl Utena, Frederic Downing in Resident Evil: Degeneration, Tapirmon in Digimon Frontier, Fuuma Monou in X tv series, Vilius in Tenkai Knights and Breakdown in Transformers: War for Cybertron.
- His Third English Voice Actress, Trevor Devall, who also voiced Dukey in Johnny Test, Hot Dog in Krypto the Superdog, Shuichi Aizawa in Death Note, Iruini, Pohatu and Brutaka in BIONICLE, Marchosias in Shakugan no Shana, Sohone in Mune: Guardian of the Moon, Shaw in Open Season: Scared Silly, Ares in Avengers Assemble, Kraven in Underworld: Endless War, Mukotsu in Inuyasha, Neo Roanoke in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny, Lackey in Tom and Jerry: A Nutcracker Tale, Bruno Mannheim in The Death of Superman, Bruticus Maximus in Transformers: Energon Atticus Moon in Big Time Rush, Ravus Nox Fleuret in Final Fantasy, Gunk in Sofia the First, Metal Elementor in Max Steel Reboot, Count Venamus in Supernoobs and Mr. Chang in Black Lagoon.
- His Fourth English Voice Actress, Alex Organ, who also voiced Eraser Head in My Hero Academia, Norway in Hetalia, Kishou Arima in Tokyo Ghoul, Shogo Makishima in Psycho-Pass, Kaku in One Piece, Damnatio Kira in Black Clover, Doctor in Black Butler, Leo Bernard in Freezing, Shin Hyuga Shaing in Code Geass: Akito the Exiled and Isaac Ray Peram Westsott in Date a Live.