Tyranitar (Japanese: バンギラス Bangirasu) is a Rock/Dark-type Pseudo-Legendary Pokémon introduced in Generation II.
Tyranitar is a large, bipedal dinosaurian Pokémon. It has a gray diamond shaped scale on its belly and has a hard green-colored armor covering its entire body, with some holes on it. Several spikes protrude from its body. Its arms and legs are small and chubby with three sharp claws extending from it. It has a pair of sharp, pointed teeth on both of its jaws, along with a large powerful tail protruding from its back.
With Sand Stream, Tyranitar can summon a sandstorm which lasts for a while, making it even more durable against Special attacks, and damaging any Pokémon that is not immune to it. Tyranitar can resist most forms of attack and can learn various powerful moves, including Focus Blast, Outrage, and Iron Tail. It can prevent opponents from eating their own Berry if Tyranitar has Unnerve as its ability.
Tyranitar is the final evolution in Larvitar's evolutionary line. Pupitar evolves into Tyranitar at level 55. Tyranitar can further evolve into Mega Tyranitar, using its Tyranitarite.
- Tyranitar draws inspiration from lizards and dinosaurs. It however appears to be mostly based on the famous movie monster (or kaiju) Godzilla.
- It is alongside with Darkrai and Hydreigon the most powerful Dark-type Pokémon and the most powerful Rock-type Pokémon.
- It and Metagross are the only non Dragon type Pseudo-Legendary Pokémon.
- Tyranitar and Aerodactyl are the only Pokémon to learn both Hyper Beam and Giga Impact by leveling up.
- They also have the Unnerve hidden ability in the Dream World.
- Tyranitar has the most weaknesses of any Rock or Dark-type Pokémon with 7.
- These types are Fighting, Fairy, Ground, Bug, Steel, Water & Grass.