|“||There are things from the Winter Soldier days that I'm just remembering. Weapons left in the field... Dangers I can still prevent. I think maybe that's the path... A way to the redemption I've been looking for.||„|
|~ Bucky Barnes.|
|“||I believe in you, Steve. I believe in Captain America. All that hooey about symbol of liberty, Fighting American, -- even someone like me could fall for it... I guess 'cause we need a Captain America. I need a Captain America.||„|
|~ Bucky to Steve Rogers.|
Winter Soldier is the alter-ego of James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes, he is a fictional character and superhero that appears in American comic books published by Marvel Comics.
Originally introduced as a sidekick to Captain America, the character was created by Joe Simon and the late Jack Kirby and first appeared in Captain America Comics #1 (cover-dated March 1941) (which was published by Marvel's predecessor) as the original and most well-known incarnation of "Bucky".
The character is brought back from supposed death as the brainwashed assassin Winter Soldier (Russian: Зимний Солдат, translit. Zimniy Soldát; Belarusian: Зімовы Салдат translit. Zimovy Saldat; Uzbek: Qish Askari translit. Kish Askari), and later assumed the role of Captain America when Steve Rogers was presumed to be dead.
Powers & Abilities
Bionic Arm: Bucky's left arm was completely destroyed when he tried to escape the explosion that put both him and Captain America in a coma, so his organic arm was instead replaced with a bionic one. That arm grants him the following ability:
- Superhuman Strength: Has some degree of superhuman strength in his bionic arm, enough to lift roughly 5-10 tons.
- Enhanced Reaction Time: His arm's reaction time is greater than that of any Olympic athlete who has and will ever compete.
- Stabilization Sensors: Bucky can detect the balance of objects (namely Captain America's shield) and throw items with pinpoint accuracy. He was able to throw Captain America's shield with perfect accuracy and cause it to return when he used his bionic arm.
- Sensory Array: The arm houses different sensors which allow him to pass through security such as metal detectors without setting them off. It can also shield other metallic objects from detection such as firearms and knives.
- Extended Reach: He can apparently either control his bionic arm even if it has been removed from his body (possibly by cybernetic implants), or his arm can be programmed to perform certain actions on its own while removed from his body.
- Electrical Discharge: He can discharge bolts of electrical energy from his arm's palm.
- EMP: He can discharge an EMP rendering electronic devices useless. He failed to use it on a prepared Iron Man.
- Holographic Disguise: The arm can create holograms to appear, look and feel like a normal human arm.
Infinity Formula: During the Fear Itself event, Bucky was beaten to near death by Skadi, so Fury injected him with the formula, which has granted him this following abilities:
- Enhanced Strength: James's physical strength has been enhanced, his strength is equal to the peak of human potential. His physical strength is above a normal human being, enough for him to lift more than 800 lbs, but no more than 2 tons.
- Enhanced Speed: James's speed is similarly enhanced, allowing him to run at ~ 50 mph.
- Enhanced Durability: James's body is more resistant to physical injury, his bones and skin are far denser, harder than that of an ordinary human. He seems capable of taking multiple gunshot, puncture wounds , massive explosions as well as beatings from superhumans and still stand on his feet.
- Enhanced Agility: James's agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of even the finest human athlete.
- Enhanced Stamina: James's body eliminates the excessive build-up of fatigue-producing poisons in his muscles and his musculature generates considerably less fatigue toxins than the muscles of an ordinary human being, granting him superhuman levels of stamina in all physical activities.
- Enhanced Reflexes: James possesses superhuman levels of reflexes, he is reflexive enough to dodge bullets, arrows, and even lasers. His reflexes speed is 20 kph.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: He is able to heal broken bones, torn muscles, several gunshot & knife wounds and other severe injuries within a day and most lesser injuries like cuts, scrapes and burns within hours. He has come back from the dead thanks to his healing factor
- Semi-immortality: The Infinity Formula in James´s blood has granted him an ageless immortality.
- Enhanced Mental Process: Bucky's mental process has been enhanced, allowing his mind to; process information quickly, giving him an accelerated learning aptitude, a knack for quickly analyzing multiple information streams (e.g., threat assessment) and rapidly respond to changing tactical situations, eidetic memory (meaning that he never forgets anything and has perfect recall), speed read, and high deductive/reasoning skills.
- Master Martial Artist: Barnes is a dangerously skilled martial artist and hand-to-hand combatant. He received training from World War Two hand-to-hand combat luminaries William Essart Fairbairn and Colonel Rex Applegate as well as Captain America (Steve Rogers) in multiple martial arts, and acrobatics as a teenager during WWII and was trained in more of them while being molded into an assassin by the Soviet Union. He has single-handedly beaten Crossbones, a squad of SHIELD agents, Wolverine and the Black Widow, defeated a regiment of Hydra agents alongside the Young Avengers, in combat and fought Captain America (Steve Rogers) and Iron Man to a standstill.
- Expert Marksman: He is an extremely accurate marksman. Skilled in sharpshooting and knife throwing.
- Skilled Shield Fighter: Barnes is becoming rapidly proficient with his former partner's shield. He is able to throw it with near perfect aim striking multiple targets in a single throw and achieving a boomerang-like return after throwing it at single person or object.
- Skilled Acrobat: He is an Olympic level athlete and acrobat capable of many difficult acrobatic feats.
- Peak Human Conditioning: Has shown Olympic to possible near peak human level strength, agility, endurance, dexterity, etc.
- Advanced Scout: Barnes is a very gifted scout and adept at stealth and concealment.
- Multilingual: He is fluent in English, Russian, German, Japanese, and a little French. He might be able to speak other languages.
- Expert Spy: He is an expert in the field of espionage thanks largely to World War Two hand-to-hand combat luminaries William Essart Fairbairn and Colonel Rex Applegate, his former partner, Steve Rogers, the United States military, British SAS regiment, and the Russian Government. He is skilled in stealth, demolitions, survival, deducing other persons ways of thinking and other fields.
- Expert Assassin: Barnes is an adept of his generation as Matthew Murdock and Elektra Natchios is of theirs, possibly the most lethal assassin in the Marvel Universe rivaling others such as Bullseye or Elektra. During an operation on the Russian Front with the Invaders, Barnes has from concealment thrown a 60 centimeters-long knife to penetrate the winter uniform outer garment of a German soldier with such accuracy as to pierce his heart in high arctic winds several meters. Barnes has mastered and implemented several methods to silently eliminate sentries with bladed weapons, garrotes or his bare hands, making him as lethal in his own way as his former Invader teammates, the Torches, Union Jack or Namor. He is a master at stealth and tracking and is very intelligent. He was able to render Wolverine's superhumanly acute senses such as smell completely useless by luring him to an abandoned warehouse that was completely soaked on the inside with oil and even soaking himself to make it so that Wolverine could not detect him. Barnes has made a habit out of constantly studying his surroundings and depicting what he can and cannot do in whatever situation he should fall in much like his former partner, Captain America before his death. During Barnes' visit to the Captain America exhibit that had been made to honor him after his death, he was constantly detecting potential ways to sneak in and out of the museum and the room without being detected and only taking out a small number of security to do so. The Black Widow stated to Tony Stark that he was one of the most dangerous men she knew.
Captain America's Shield, a modified hand-gun capable of penetrating even fabric of the thickness and composition of AIM uniforms, a combat knife, and various other mission-special equipment. 'Formerly' (as the Winter Soldier) sniper rifles and various other automatic weapons, (as Bucky) conventional firearms, explosives, combat knives.
A uniform composed of steel mesh and chain mail. 'Formerly' (as the Winter Soldier) body armor, (as Bucky) a bullet proof fabric costume.
An "Indian" motorcycle.
- In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, he is portrayed by Sebastian Stan.
- In The Marvel Super Heroes, he was voiced by Carl Banas.
- In The Super Hero Squad Show, he was voiced by Rod Keller.
- In The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, he was voiced by Scott Menville and Jon Curry.
- In Avengers Assemble, he was voiced by Bob Bergen in "Ghosts of the Past", Roger Craig Smith in "Spectrums", Robbie Daymond in "Saving Captain Rogers", and Matt Lanter in "The Vibranium Curtain". Smith also voices Sonic the Hedgehog and Chris Redfield, and Lanter also voiced Anakin Skywalker and The Prince.
- In Marvel Future Avengers, he was voiced by Masayoshi Sugawara in Japanese and Yuri Lowenthal in English. Lowenthal also voices Spider-Man.
- Lowenthal reprised his voice in Marvel Super Hero Squad Online.
- In Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, he was voiced by Crispin Freeman.
- In Marvel Super Hero Squad Online, he was voiced by Mikey Kelley.
- In Marvel Heroes, he was voiced by David Hayter.
- In Lego Marvel Super Heroes, he was voiced by James Arnold Taylor, who also voiced Obi-Wan Kenobi.
- In Lego Marvel's Avengers, he was voiced by Scott Porter.
- Porter reprised his voice in Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite.
- In Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order, he was voiced by Ray Chase.
- Ranked 8th in "The Top 50 Avengers".
- Ranked 53rd on IGN's Top 100 Comic Book Heroes in 2011.